• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird combination of effects there.

Sifter Wurm 5GG
Creature - Wurm (uncommon)
Trample
When Sifter Wurm enters the battlefield, scry 3, then reveal the top card of your library. You gain life equal to that card's converted mana cost.
7/7
As a casual / limited player who loves fatties, this is going to be fun. Drop it to hopefully setup another threat and gain enough life to stave off whatever tempo advantage your opponent might have.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
unless you were planning to beat him to death with the +3/+3 flying buff, AoZ is just plain better

I don't think this is true at all. Elspeth is ridiculous.

Need way more to know for sure. If it's turn 1 vs. turn 6, it makes a big difference. It also makes a big difference to know what his deck was doing and what the board state looked like.

It's Turn 4 and he's on the play, he casts Duress and I have a hand of Grave Titan, Elspeth, Knight-Errant, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, Plains and Brimaz, King of Oreskos. He has some number of cards in hand and a Bitterblossom on the battlefield.

Yeef

It's Turn 4 and he's on the play, he casts Duress and I have a hand of Grave Titan, Elspeth, Knight-Errant, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, Plains and Brimaz, King of Oreskos. He has some number of cards in hand and a Bitterblossom on the battlefield.
I'd misread it at first and thought it was between Gideon Ally and Elspeth Sun's Champion. Knight-Errant is definitely the better hit vs. Gideon.

Pundere

The wurm seems like a great card to ramp into on turn 5 with Oasis Ritualist in limited.

Giant body, fix your next few draws, and help stabilize all in one card.

I don't think this is true at all. Elspeth is ridiculous.

It seems like the Bitterblossom could change the math a little bit. Faerie tokens trade with Soldiers, but they chump block Allies. Either way he can sail over to deal with the remaining Walker; at that point he is able to favorably trade vs the remaining Soldiers, but 2/2 Allies would be tougher to deal with.

Also, Faerie tokens don't care of Elspeth uses her +3/+3 flying buff

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem is that either one of them will get stonewalled by Faerie tokens, so you just have to pick which one is more powerful. +3/+3 + flying to any creature you have is better than a single non-evasive 5/5 imo and Elspeth can activate that ability the turn she enters the battlefield and gains loyalty from it.

The problem is that either one of them will get stonewalled by Faerie tokens, so you just have to pick which one is more powerful. +3/+3 + flying to any creature you have is better than a single non-evasive 5/5 imo and Elspeth can activate that ability the turn she enters the battlefield and gains loyalty from it.

That's not true - Gideon doesn't get held up by Faerie tokens. His 2/2 dudes crunch through them.

The flying buff is roughly equivalent to activating AoZ to attack for a turn, but the evasion is huge.
Basically this.

Flying is effectively Unlockable in Modern, and especially with the better knowledge (the good old 6/7 Brimaz is hella dumb), I'd take Elspeth Over Gideon 90% of the time.

Gideon is what you take when you see the game going long and grindy, because he shits out value much, much better then Elspeth, but the highs on Elspeth are much higher then the highs on Gideon.

Edit: Nah, if your opponent had an active Bitter Blossom I'd take Gideon about 40%

Angry Grimace

Should I put this Batterskull on Geist of St. Traft

such tough decisions

Ashodin

I'm gonna hate that wurm in limited.

I'm taking submissions for OC characters in a YouTube MTG animated comic, if you want your character in the story, please reply with

Name
Color(s)
Power/Toughness
Keywords (combat only please)
Short description of character

No mana costs or rules text. It's not necessary.

Sifter Wurm - more or less powerful than Pelakka Wurm? (In a vacuum - every environment P Wurm has been printed in has been favorable for it, while I doubt this limited environment will suddenly start encouraging durdles.)

thefil

I'm gonna hate that wurm in limited.

I'm taking submissions for OC characters in a YouTube MTG animated comic, if you want your character in the story, please reply with

Name
Color(s)
Power/Toughness
Keywords (combat only please)
Short description of character

No mana costs or rules text. It's not necessary.

Urza
Green
6/6
Trample, Reach
Badass planeswalker who is one with nature.

Sifter Wurm - more or less powerful than Pelakka Wurm? (In a vacuum - every environment P Wurm has been printed in has been favorable for it, while I doubt this limited environment will suddenly start encouraging durdles.)

Less powerful. Digging when your 7/7 trampler comes into play is less important than digging when your 7/7 trampler dies, and Pelakka's life gain is strictly better.

Ashodin

Urza
Green
6/6
Trample, Reach
Badass planeswalker who is one with nature.

no

4.jpg

I mean, if we're talking good small sets, I feel like Oath and Moon deserve to be on the list, because they did the job much much better then something like even Aether Revolt.

I went back and forth like five times on whether I wanted to include them. Oath is the second half of an awful block which kind of taints it; Eldritch Moon has some issues related to block structure as well (though I think it's proven to be better for constructed over time than we assumed when it was new.) In retrospect I probably should have included both.

I'm relatively new to MTG, went back to collecting after 12-15 years. And I noticed a pattern on every single MTG-dedicated board. People bitch about every single card, a lot. Is that a common occurence after 25 years of anything or is it just the state of current MTG community?

The long-term joke is that if WotC put $100 bills in the packs, people would complain about how they're folded. The online Magic community is primarily young men, has a heavy competitive streak, and lives in local gaming stores that are often toxic locations, so a lot of negativity and bad behavior are incentivized in ways that not everything gets.

(If I'm overbearing about negativity in here occasionally, it's because I'm so used to just relentless, obnoxious complaints everywhere normally.)

I don't really get what the criteria is here. Draft? Constructed? Non rotating?

Mostly trying to emulate the standards people implicitly take in here, so primarily competitive Constructed playability in both Standard and Eternal formats, with a sidenote for draft.

Planeshift, Mirrodin Beseiged, OGW, and Eldritch Moon are all good sets.

I get most of this, but I saw a couple people cite Mirrodin Besieged and I'm honestly not sure why; it seemed like a really forgettable transition set to me.

I've soured on oath. While they did bring the eldrazi to older formats, I'm not sure that is such a good thIng

I think the contribution of the Eldrazi to Vintage is purely positive and at this point I think they've wrangled them to a point where they're a net positive to Modern as well.

I think Eldritch Moon is good, but it's hard not to feel like it could be better if it was bigger. There's a lot going on in not a whole lot of space, there.

So, even though it's good, I can see why it wouldn't be a great exemplar for Why Small Sets Are Good.

Less powerful. Digging when your 7/7 trampler comes into play is less important than digging when your 7/7 trampler dies, and Pelakka's life gain is strictly better.

My instinct was the same, but it's a case of "now" vs "later." I get a card's worth of value right now (Scry 3 is at least as good as drawing a single card), although I do get less life gain. The life gain is probably the tipping point though: this doesn't stabilize near as good as P Wurm did.

(It's still insane though, if the format lets you cast it.)

So, even though it's good, I can see why it wouldn't be a great exemplar for Why Small Sets Are Good.

Yeah, many of my examples (Future Sight, New Phyrexia, Oath of the Gatewatch, Eldritch Moon) would all be better as large sets with less need to fit a "block" structure the way they'd work in the 3-and-1 world. OGW in particular would benefit from not having to carry over any of BFZ's garbage, and EMN would benefit from being able to give more breathing room to its unique mechanical stuff.

jph139

In the past few years, I think small sets have really been my favorites. FRF was my favorite in the Khans block. OGW beats BFZ, EMN beats SOI, and honestly so far I prefer HOU to AKH. Kaladesh is the only exception, since I found AER forgettable.

In general I hope the switch lets them draw on the some of the strengths of small sets - the more "out there" mechanics, a less "introductory" feel to the creative, the iterative design. Like, instead of teasing out a mechanic through two/three sets, getting more creative with each step, just put the pedal to the metal from the beginning.

Ashodin

I have issues with Bolas calling them the Gatewatch.

1. Bolas would be arrogant enough to avoid their nickname
  2. Bolas would call them out like the bitches they are
  3. Bolas would just fuck them up without even talking
  4. yeah

Maledict

Yeah, many of my examples (Future Sight, New Phyrexia, Oath of the Gatewatch, Eldritch Moon) would all be better as large sets with less need to fit a "block" structure the way they'd work in the 3-and-1 world. OGW in particular would benefit from not having to carry over any of BFZ's garbage, and EMN would benefit from being able to give more breathing room to its unique mechanical stuff.

Talking about small sets made me nostalgic for Apocalypse, so I went and browsed through the spoilers. I remember when it launched being insanely excited because of the enemy colour theme - its funny now how every set gets enemy coloured cards, but at the time it was a *huge* thing. Even if a lot of them weren't very good, enough were to thrill people and it was so cool to finally have the tools to make a blu / green deck.

Interesting, I wonder why those original wedge names didn't stick. Have to say I find them a lot easier to remember than the Khans tribal names, even if it was decades ago.

Bolas would be into calling them a team name because in his mind they're probably a Justice League that was founded just to fight him. It's like how if Lex Luthor sees Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman getting bubble tea he's just going to assume they're trying to foil his plots.

He should probably have his own dumb name for them, though.

Ashodin

Talking about small sets made me nostalgic for Apocalypse, so I went and browsed through the spoilers. I remember when it launched being insanely excited because of the enemy colour theme - its funny now how every set gets enemy coloured cards, but at the time it was a *huge* thing. Even if a lot of them weren't very good, enough were to thrill people and it was so cool to finally have the tools to make a blu / green deck.

Interesting, I wonder why those original wedge names didn't stick. Have to say I find them a lot easier to remember than the Khans tribal names, even if it was decades ago.

You kidding breh?

Degavolver is fucking legit af

red13th

ironically, Kaladesh didn't feel particularly powerful to me. The OP cards were just really OP

It really doesn't, the block's impact outside of Fatal Push is rather small in non rotating formats. Although Fatal Push DID change evertything a whole lot.

It really doesn't, the block's impact outside of Fatal Push is rather small in non rotating formats. Although Fatal Push DID change evertything a whole lot.
smugglers copter is beginning to see the play it should have from the get go.

DS is keeping torch of defiance numbers low as well.

fleetwheel cruiser is sometimes seen in vintage shops.

Not to forget Ceremonious Rejection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom