• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If control becomes established midrange will eat its cake.
I've been on GR delirium and almost every control deck I've played has performed pretty poorly against it unless hey continually get their Gearhulks out. That does happen but holding onto counterspells hoping to Void Shatter a bunch of cast trigger Eldrazi isn't really that great.

I think these Aetherworks decks would perform better if they even vaguely threatened to interact with Gearhulk or to hardcast Emrakul/Ulamog.

Yeef

This Jeskai control deck looks a lot closer to my list than that one with Dynavolt Tower and Consulate Surveillance. I think Carlos Romao is running more lands and more gearhulks that I was. He's also running Void Shatter where I had Scatter to the Winds. I was on the fence on that, but erred on the side of using the awaken as a win condition.

If one of you are going to be knocked out if you W/L, people are going to do it.

The new structure is good, but the morality policing is ridiculous. Drawing in is part of the game.
Disagree IDs should just not happen in competitive environments. Also they need a dress code at least for the top 8 announcement.

kirblar

Disagree IDs should just not happen in competitive environments. Also they need a dress code at least for the top 8 announcement.
a) Nope. They're part of the game. Deal with it.
b) Nope. Those places can get hot. For finals day? Sure.

The reason I'm a dick on IDs is that the whining always comes from people who don't play competitive MTG.

Ironmang might actually have done well with his UW control deck.
a) Nope. They're part of the game. Deal with it.
b) Nope. Those places can get hot. For finals day? Sure.
The reason I'm a dick on IDs is that the whining always comes from people who don't play competitive MTG.
a) They're part of the game isn't an argument.
b) I even said at least for top 8 announcement.
c) why would those profiting of it complain about it and even in the pro circles there are people speaking up against it. Even while they participate in it.

Someone on reddit noticed that all but 1 black source in one of the GB delirium decks were upside down in his deck.
https://clips.twitch.tv/magic/AliveSheepWTRuck

If one of you are going to be knocked out if you W/L, people are going to do it.

The new structure is good, but the morality policing is ridiculous. Drawing in is part of the game.

Yeah, I think the approach where they rejigger the incentives to strongly encourage people to play it out, but then don't worry about people who still choose to draw, is definitely the way to go.

Violet_0

Banned
so, besides the R/U 2015 Commander, what are some good cards to combo with the Metallurgic Summonings "return all sorceries/instants to hand" ability to release a massive firework?

I played a completely untuned RW list last night that only ever lost to itself. i.e. Drawing 10 lands or drawing all 2 Hanweir Battlements and an Aether Hub. Here's a rough outline:

4x Inventor's Apprentice
4x Thraben Inspector
4x Thalia's Lieutenant
4x Weapons Trainer
3x Hanweir Garrison
3x Smuggler's Copter
2x Angel of Invention
2x Fleetwheel Cruiser
3x Bone Saw
2x Stoneforge Masterwork
2x Captain's Claw
1x Stitcher's Graft
3x Harnessed Lightning

Relevant SB included Gideons, Dec in Stone, Thalia, Skywhaler's Shot

If I had to scrub it up, I'd drop the vehicles for Reckless Bushwhacker (forgot it was in the format). It's basically just a WR humans deck that uses what it can to give anthems. It managed to have some staying power, especially post board and took down a UW control deck, a Marvel deck, and an Abzan control deck. Only lost 1 round cause of keeping a 1 lander-never-seeing-another and then mulling to 4.

The deck is completely not my style but it picked up some brutal wins.

Also, there's enough things in the format that give +1/+1 to servo tokens that a module deck might be something to look into. There's angel of invention, master trinketeer, chief of the foundry, all in this set. I'm sure there might be others. None of them have a legendary rule to worry about either.

kirblar

The fix is to change the incentives. They've done that. If people draw, just don't put them on camera. It's simple!

See: Olympic Badminton teams throwing matches for better seeding- don't hate the player, hate the bad tournament structure.

They are part of the game. If you had played competitive MTG for the past two decades, you'd know that. The problem is concessions- THATS what people have spoken out about.

edit: That black source thing should catch a ban. That's blatant.

The fix is to change the incentives. They've done that. If people draw, just don't put them on camera. It's simple!

See: Olympic Badminton teams throwing matches for better seeding- don't hate the player, hate the bad tournament structure.

They are part of the game. If you had played competitive MTG for the past two decades, you'd know that. The problem is concessions- THATS what people have spoken out about.

edit: That black source thing should catch a ban. That's blatant.

We're gonna have the same arguments as last time this came up but still realize that the olympic badminton teams were dealt with swiftly and disqualified.

kirblar

We're gonna have the same arguments as last time this came up but still realize that the olympic badminton teams were dealt with swiftly and disqualified.
And that was fucked up because it wasn't their fault the rules made bad rules.

There is no other correct answer here other than organizers passing on the blame for their shitty decisions and format.

Don't want draws? Figure out a way to discourage them. They did that. They will still happen, because the alternative is a billion times worse.

Bad players complain about draws because bad players think spots are being stolen. They're not. The people drawing have earned a good enough record to make it in based on the past 14/15 rounds. Want the opportunity to draw in? Play better.

Yeah, I had a note about this in my post originally and took it out since it seemed like it might be a bit off topic.

Top 8 decklists are out.

Red decks 7/8 of the top 8, lol. (Blue's in five, white's in five, black's in two, and green, in a pleasant change of pace, has only one.)

16 of 32 possible Smuggler's Copters in the top 8 -- who had that in the guessing the other day?

I notice there's exactly one Chandra in the top 8, and she's in the sideboard. So not a complete flop after all! >_> Anyway, nice to see such a varied top 8.

That's actually a fun combo.
scrapheap%20scrounger.jpg
eternal%20scourge.jpg
also goes well with vehicles ensuring you'll always be able to crew them.

kirblar

I've dazed my own spell to bounce a Watery Grave to get lethal damage with a Death's Shadow before.

My opponent was not amused.

Yeef

1. Number of Smuggler's Copter in the Top 8:12
bigkrev

2. Breakout Card from Kaladesh:
  • Chandra - 1 SB (Familienoberhauptvogel)
  • Cloudblazer - 0 (Technomancer)
  • Deadlock Trap - 0 (Santiako)
  • Servant of the Conduit - 0 (bigkrev)
  • Metallurgic Summonings - 0 (Ashodin)
  • Harnessed Lightning - 19 MB, 3 SB (Yeef)

3. Flop Card from Kaladesh:
  • Aetherworks Marvel - 4 MB (Technomancer)
  • Metallurgic Summonings - 0 (Santiako)
  • "Planeswalkers. There will not be a single T8 deck with a Kaladesh walker" - 13 MB, 13 SB (bigkrev)
  • Chandra, Torch of Defiance - 1 SB (Ashodin)
  • Electrostatic Pummeler - 0 (Yeef)

4. Most played colour in the Top 8: Red
(Familienoberhauptvogel, Yeef)

5. Most played card in the Top 8 (non basic-non copter): Harnessed Lightning*
(Yeef) (I don't have time to tally up the different non-basics, so it might be one of those)

6. Most played Gearhulk in the Top 8: Torrential
(NO ONE!)

Bonus: Winning deck colour(s): TBD

I'm honestly a bit surprised none of you called Torrential Gearhulk as the most played. Over the last couple of weeks it has really impressed me. Granted, i'd have thought it would have just beaten out Verdurous Gearhulk rather than this being the list of Green cards in the top 8:
4 Attune with Aether
2 Vessel of Nascency
4 Woodweaver's Puzzleknot (in a sense)

Also, it's somewhat amusing that Harnessed Lightning is the most played non-basic even beating out Copter.

Whoah whats the cheat here? If your opponent searches your library and reflexively corrects all your swamps now the sleeves are reversed from the other side and no-one notices?
He had control of his turn and while looking through the deck corrected the orientation of the upside down cards. All of the cards are black sources so either he shuffled in a stack of his lands upside down accidentally after a previous game or he does it to get information about the top of his deck.

Joba62x

Neo Member
Whoah whats the cheat here? If your opponent searches your library and reflexively corrects all your swamps now the sleeves are reversed from the other side and no-one notices?

I think you can feel or see the opening when you look at or pick up your deck and can tell if you have a black source coming and plan around it.

Yeef killed it with the predictions.

Santiako

The upside down land bussiness is very shady, specially since it was all the black sources.

I like the top8, even if the actual meta devolves into GB Delirium/Rx Vehicles/URx Control/UGx Marvel, it's still much better than CoCo vs Emrakul.

Super shady to me. Like you need to know you have black coming for grasp of darkness.

I'm at my pptq! Hope I do well!

Good luck!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
As many copies of Thraben Inspector as Smuggler's Copters in the Top 8. I love when a common becomes a staple in so many archetypes. Good card.

Glad to see Travis Woo make the top 16. A lot of people think of him as the casual brewer guy that walks backwards down stairs but I've been trying to explain how good he was in general for years. I've been in this thread saying he was one of the best drafters CFB had a couple times, and that's a team with Owen Turtenwald and Ben Stark. Not surprised to see him go 6-0 at the PT in limited at all.

It's time to bring him back into the fold, guys.

Also, super happy to see the top 8 was a clean cut at X-3-1. I really fucking hate tiebreakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom