• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
|OT10| Aether Revolt - Sorry Bolas is in another Castle
|OT10| Aether Revolt - Bolas and Switch

It's hard to make up a title because we know little of what's gonna happen and the cards aren't particularly memorable, and I'm bad at this.

Uh, Ghirapur is the city.
that explains a lot. The rest of Kaladesh is really underdeveloped still.

|OT10| Aether Revolt - Tomorrow there'll be Oath of us

Santiako

Going revolutionary:

|OT10| Aether Revolt - Give me aether or give me death.
|OT10| Aether Revolt - Fan this spark into a flame.

I just realized that Amonkhet is not going to get anything like the PAX push that Kaladesh got. I definitely remember being more excited for BFZ than I was for SOI because of the PAX stuff they did for BFZ as well

That's funny to me since the GP reveals they did for SOI were great while the BFZ reveal was cringey and amateurish.

I'm sure they can figure something out. In the past they just did this stuff at PAX East instead. This year it's a little early to do the full set blowout, unfortunately (March 10 when the full set spoiler will be out April 14.)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magic: the Gathering |OT| Aether Revolt- Though the ligature dies, La Resistance lives on

Magic: the Gathering |OT| Aether Revolt- Aetherwork yourself into a shoot

Magic: the Gathering |OT| Aether Revolt- Welcome to the Marvel Universe

Magic: the Gathering |OT| Aether Revolt- The Promised End of Standard

Magic: the Gathering |OT| Aether Revolt- Liberté, éldrazé, fraternité

Magic: the Gathering |OT| Aether Revolt- Planar Bridge to Nowhere

Hero

Finally got a group of friends together to play my foil cube. Flattened out the power level after having planeswalkers and some big fatties (Grave Titan) too powerful for anything to combat it. Very few rares made the environment much more competitive. It is made up of mostly cards from Innistrad on but I picked up a few older ones to make it more interesting for me.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/13649

What's the goal/design of your cube supposed to be? Taking a quick glance at it and aggro doesn't even seem possible in your cube, which just makes midrange/control that much more predominant.

One of my LGS' moved Standard to Thursday and FNM from here on out will be Draft AND Commander. Modern on Saturday.

I find this interesting and though I wasn't playing FNM there I wonder if it was due to low attendance.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magic: the Gathering |OT| Aether Revolt- That shit that make your soul burn slow

Magic: the Gathering |OT| Aether Revolt- Gatewatch Recruiting Depot

Magic: the Gathering |OT| Aether Revolt- Ligature free since 2016!

Aether Revolt OT: The Time is now, The Jace is here!

Aether Revolt OT: Do you hear the people fabricate?

Aether Revolt OT: We the people, of the plane of Kaladesh..

Aether Revolt OT: Kaladesh Standard is Revolting

Well, barring any new challengers, "That shit that make your soul burn slow" looks like the winner, and it continues the odd theme of using rap lyrics.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this Blogatog post from over a week ago.
bokketoartandgames asked: In hindsight, is it a mistake that one of the most powerful mechanics in Standard, Delirium, and the deck built around it are based completely on the contents of your graveyard, and the only graveyard removal spells are single target?

There’s a method to our madness which I will explain when all the relevant factors are public. Just keep asking and at some point next year, I’ll answer.

From the theme alone, it was pretty likely that Amonkhet would have graveyard-based cards, but I hadn't given much thought to it. Now, I'm guessing they're experimenting with having two different kinds of graveyard themes in the same Standard. I have to imagine that they didn't include graveyard exiling in Standard to create a contrast with when there are tons, but how can a bunch of graveyard exiling be part of a theme? That brought me to the idea of "grave wars", where you and your opponent are both trying to build up your graveyard and stop the other.

One possible implementation of this could be "grave robbing" like this:

Pyramid Raider - 3B
Creature - Human Rogue
Menace
Whenever Pyramid Raider deals combat damage to a player, exile up to two target cards from that player's graveyard and put the top two cards of your library into your graveyard.
2/2

The set will have a lot of card that do stuff from the graveyard, though like Kozilek's Return, they will exile themselves after use. Perhaps we'll also straight up get flashback.

We've really had enough Trump jokes already.
Standard blows right now and Trump is president. You gotta get used to it.

EDIT: As a Sultai fanatic back in Khans Standard... I really want some fun graveyard stuff again. I really couldn't care less about current Standard, I'm playing around with pauper and modern in MtGO.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
What's the goal/design of your cube supposed to be? Taking a quick glance at it and aggro doesn't even seem possible in your cube, which just makes midrange/control that much more predominant.

Both RW and RB can get pretty aggro-y. Abzan Falconer with the Unleash cards in particular gets gross if you can't stop it. I went T5 Gastaf Arsonists, T6 attack with flipped Arsonist + Impeteous Devils, then fling the devils. I had someone go Bant Heroic overrun people with a Bogle-like 12/12 Unblockable Flyer.

Does this look like a 3-0 deck?
DXrNYDC.png
I set out to draft a whirler virtuoso deck when I opened the copter and the result of the draft stopped mattering and this mostrositycame out instead. It's so durdly, there wasn't a round I didn't go to time. First game was 1-0-1, 2nd round I won 2-1 winning in the 5th extra turn and the 3rd round we IDd then played it out.

Limited makes no sense anymore.

Bandini

I just won a Vintage Cube game I had no business winning, that was pretty crazy. My opponent, on the play, goes T1 Duress T2 Mesmeric Fiend T3 Dark Ritual > Mind Twist for 4. I survived by drawing some removal then playing Winter Orb after he tapped out for Yag's Bargain with 0 cards in hand. Then I slowly ground him down with 2 power creatures and 1 mana burn spells while he paid lots of life to draw cards. What a great format.

Joe Molotov

They have done guns exactly once- Portal Second Age
126.jpg

The fact that they have never used them since then should tell you they aren't doing Guns again

Look at this disgusting color-pie break, a white creature with deathtouch? No wonder they never brought guns back.

People just don't like guns in fantasy, except specifically in the case of urban fantasies. Even Harry Potter avoided guns. Odd as it may seem, magical technology is easier to accept than guns (see Zelda: Breath of the Wild).

It really makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense. Guns fill a mechanical role similar to a whole bunch of actual magical stuff and they have their own mythology in terms of how powerful and destructive they are that doesn't jibe well with fantasy settings. And then if you make them accurately shitty for really early guns people complain that they're bad.

It makes perfect sense. Guns fill a mechanical role similar to a whole bunch of actual magical stuff and they have their own mythology in terms of how powerful and destructive they are that doesn't jibe well with fantasy settings. And then if you make them accurately shitty for really early guns people complain that they're bad.

EDIT: I'm not that interested in it tbh.

OnPoint

Glad we got the guns debate in one last time before 2017. Met the quota. Let's argue about Nahiri being a villain or not next or maybe about how a super powerful Legacy-banned card would be fine in standard.

bigkrev

Glad we got the guns debate in one last time before 2017. Met the quota. Let's argue about Nahiri being a villain or not next or maybe about how a super powerful Legacy-banned card would be fine in standard.

If it is wasn't on the reserved list, you could totally reprint Candelabra of Tawnos in standard with no impact whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom