• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That RW and RB aggro matchup is *rough* as fuck; I'm really not sure Smugger's Copter was a good idea for the format without printing Day of Judgment or something.

My understanding is that Wizards is actually very good about providing replacement products.

That's what I heared, too. The problem is that their website suggests that you have to send in the "defect" product but my brother has already opened the booster packs because we wanted to play some magic today and obviously didn't know about this.

I guess we will just send them an email and see if they can help us in any way.

Ozigizo

Doesn't any good Zur deck immediately dig up Diplomatic Immunity, though?

Playing vs Zur is basically 'have each other player hold at least 1 kill spell/board wipes' (in case of counterspells), dig diplomatic immunity out of his deck with slaughter games or the like, or have Stranglehold/Ob nix Unshackled up, lol.

That being said, Zur's (with DI in the deck) only likely to see play once or twice at a table before getting hated out entirely, or adapting to not using DI.

Pretty much. Everyone knows now to target Zur decks first. 1v1ing a Zur deck can easily be nonsense, though. If he's not answered probably before the first swing, it's likely GG.

Heliod being an ex-planeswalker doesn't seem to make any sense.
There's definitely something there
nugget-junior asked: Why didn't Heliod get a different name, considering that Chandra (the face of M14) had a few run ins with an Order of Heliud on Regatha?

MaRo: You assume there isn’t a connection between the two. : )
The order of Heliud was featured in the Chandra book that's still somewhat canon

Pretty much. Everyone knows now to target Zur decks first. 1v1ing a Zur deck can easily be nonsense, though. If he's not answered probably before the first swing, it's likely GG.
Now what do you do when you sit down and everyone brings a degenerate deck? Who do you hate on the most? Imagine Zur, Karador, Leovold, Animar. Or Yisan, Zur, Teferi PW, Derevi.

This blog post explores how Heliod and the Order of Heliud could be connected. One possibility is that there was a guy on Regatha named Heliud who became a planeswalker and went to Theros. By whatever method, possibly by trying to spread his own religion, he became a god. But Theros does weird things to memories, and soon after he became a god, everyone's memories changed so that everyone thought he was always a god, including him. A Theros story explained that a similar thing would have happened to Xenagos soon enough.

Okay, I just have to say the OT title makes me laugh out loud every time I see it! Pretty clever lol.

Yeah, I should have remembered to give credit to whoever came up with it in the OP.

Ashodin

That RW and RB aggro matchup is *rough* as fuck; I'm really not sure Smugger's Copter was a good idea for the format without printing Day of Judgment or something.

heheheehehahahahhahahaha

MY TIME HAS COME

Also Day of Judgment can't hit vehicles

This blog post explores how Heliod and the Order of Heliud could be connected. One possibility is that there was a guy on Regatha named Heliud who became a planeswalker and went to Theros. By whatever method, possibly by trying to spread his own religion, he became a god. But Theros does weird things to memories, and soon after he became a god, everyone's memories changed so that everyone thought he was always a god, including him. A Theros story explained that a similar thing would have happened to Xenagos soon enough.

The story with Kruphix being able to see that other planes exist explains that he remembers a time when the gods weren't gods. He was the first god.

I always assumed he was a planeswalker before. Why else would he be so scared of Xenagos?

Ozigizo

I was looking up artifact hate for red and they really got the shaft this rotation. It's either a 4 cmc Sorcery, or a 4 cmc (1 cost+3 for the ability) gremlin.

Like, what the hell. Red has never been this awful at destroying artifacts.

Now what do you do when you sit down and everyone brings a degenerate deck? Who do you hate on the most? Imagine Zur, Karador, Leovold, Animar

Lol, first one to drop the biggest threat!

Yeah, I should have remembered to give credit to whoever came up with it in the OP.

Thanks everyone for the responses. The bolded seems to be the bit I missed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
heheheehehahahahhahahaha

MY TIME HAS COME

Also Day of Judgment can't hit vehicles
There's going to be a reaction to the deck, but the tools they gave out are pretty shitty, primarily because they got this great idea to give Roflcopter flying AND the ability to loot for gas.

The problem, of course, is that kind of deck is even less fun on a casual level than Collected Company is because you never get to play anything. Every time the meta has shifted towards hyper-aggro FNM attendance at my store has dropped pretty significantly.

OnPoint

There's going to be a reaction to the deck, but the tools they gave out are pretty shitty, primarily because they got this great idea to give Roflcopter flying AND the ability to loot for gas.

The problem, of course, is that kind of deck is even less fun on a casual level than Collected Company is because you never get to play anything. Every time the meta has shifted towards hyper-aggro FNM attendance at my store has dropped pretty significantly.

I was wondering when we'd see this. I am actually scared this will be the case. All the answers seem awful and/or non-existent.

Angry Grimace

I was wondering when we'd see this. I am actually scared this will be the case. All the answers seem awful and/or non-existent.

The RB version seems way better than the RW version because Unlicensed Disintegration is a ridiculous card. Stapling Lava Spike to Terminate seems almost unreasonable. It's partially that they swung way too hard in favor of aggro and partially because all the random shit they gave aggro, particularly Copter, Fastlands (that are just ABU duals in those decks) and Aether Hub.

Ashodin

Yep, I can already feel the hate and I haven't even played the deck beyond one week at our Saturday Standard League.

The RB version seems way better than the RW version because Unlicensed Disintegration is a ridiculous card. Stapling Lava Spike to Terminate seems almost unreasonable. It's partially that they swung way too hard in favor of aggro and partially because all the random shit they gave aggro, particularly Copter, Fastlands (that are just ABU duals in those decks) and Aether Hub.

The RB version is probably the best version of it; UD is fucking gross as a card. Unmitigated creature kill with a lightning bolt strapped onto it.

I think Aether Hub should have ETB tapped.

And yep Fastlands are just regular ol' duals for my deck rofl

It's likely we won't see anything to fix it until Aether Revolt or Amonkhet at this point.

I really think some sort of White-X control deck with Authority of the Consuls, Thalia, and Fumigate mitigate some of the problems. Probably GW Control of some sort. The GW Tokens deck can't encompass all the strategies.

Angry Grimace

Yep, I can already feel the hate and I haven't even played the deck beyond one week at our Saturday Standard League.

The RB version is probably the best version of it; UD is fucking gross as a card. Unmitigated creature kill with a lightning bolt strapped onto it.

I think Aether Hub should have ETB tapped.

And yep Fastlands are just regular ol' duals for my deck rofl

It's likely we won't see anything to fix it until Aether Revolt or Amonkhet at this point.

I really think some sort of White-X control deck with Authority of the Consuls, Thalia, and Fumigate mitigate some of the problems. Probably GW Control of some sort. The GW Tokens deck can't encompass all the strategies.

The deck is legitimately good, but this seems conclusory. The PT hasn't even happened.

The deck is legitimately good, but this seems conclusory. The PT hasn't even happened.
The PT will add new decks for certain but all of them will be considerably aggressive by the copters merit alone
Lol, first one to drop the biggest threat!
now you spent all your hate dealing with Animar and Karador drops Boonweaver, Animar is tapped out because he tried to go off and Zur is the only one who can answer.

It was just an example how the advice focus XYZ commander's player isn't particularly reasonable advice.

The Nature of Theros is fundamentally one of those "Holy crap that's awesome" thing for me, because Theros works in a very similar fashion to the Homeric Tradition. Elspeth killed Polkranus about 6 months before she died, but Theros had already turned that fight into a huge part of the Theriad, and it echoes certain bits in the Illiad/Odyssey where even though Achilles knows of Hercules and Nestor's generation was part of that, the characters still treat him as this far off figure of myth.

The one theory I like why Phyrexia would ever come near Theros is to give Yawgmoth a new body. Considering the nature of Theros allowing for ascensions to occur, just get enough people there to believe in him and you'd have a new god.

Santiako

Well you're right. I mean rather that if we don't see the pros reacting to it or something discovered at GP Atlanta, for example.

GP Atlanta is limited though right?

Authority seems really bad as it doesn't do anything to vehicles or recurrable creatures (Scrapheap, amalgam, haunted dead).

OnPoint

The Nature of Theros is fundamentally one of those "Holy crap that's awesome" thing for me, because Theros works in a very similar fashion to the Homeric Tradition. Elspeth killed Polkranus about 6 months before she died, but Theros had already turned that fight into a huge part of the Theriad, and it echoes certain bits in the Illiad/Odyssey where even though Achilles knows of Hercules and Nestor's generation was part of that, the characters still treat him as this far off figure of myth.

The one theory I like why Phyrexia would ever come near Theros is to give Yawgmoth a new body. Considering the nature of Theros allowing for ascensions to occur, just get enough people there to believe in him and you'd have a new god.
Living up to your username here. I like it.

Angry Grimace

Temurge still seems pretty fun and competitive.

Ozigizo

now you spent all your hate dealing with Animar and Karador drops Boonweaver, Animar is tapped out because he tried to go off and Zur is the only one who can answer.

It was just an example how the advice focus XYZ commander's player isn't particularly reasonable advice.

I'm not a new player, I know how to work a table in my favor.

Wulfric

I don't know how, but Magic Story has been reading like an anime to me for whatever reason. Every story has a little moment where I almost forget I'm reading about teleporting superheroes.

Ajani carefully lifted Mrs. Pashiri to her feet. "Excuse me," he told her, and turned to the two other women. "Hold her up." The elf nodded and pulled Chandra upright.

"Whoa, big kitty," Chandra wheezed. Her breath smelled of hot copper. "Got arms like Gids."

He wondered what gids were. He laid a hand on her shoulder and closed his eyes.

Gids is canon now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
image.php

Ashodin

Ajani is one of the best planeswalkers ever

also this is funny and so apparent

He knew how to run. The heat in his legs, the sharpness in his lungs, the sun on his shoulders—these were old friends. A long youth of racing across plain and through jungle, swift and silent as heat lightning.

geddit!? HES FROM NAYA LEMME BASH IT INTO YOUR HEADS DUDES

Was it always known that Elspeth is from Dominaria?

Angry Grimace

Ajani is Gideon if Gideon wasn't a completely flat character. I really love the card Ajani Vengeant, but I don't think they'd print it again.

Angry Grimace

Why does every opponent in this Sealed league have truly outrageous Mythic Bombs? The problem with WOTC pushing so many cards for Constructed means that limited games just constantly get ruined by "lol I have Skysovreign" or "curve out to Angel of Invention" or some shit.

*grumble grumble*

Ashodin

Why does every opponent in this Sealed league have truly outrageous Mythic Bombs? The problem with WOTC pushing so many cards for Constructed means that limited games just constantly get ruined by "lol I have Skysovreign" or "curve out to Angel of Invention" or some shit.

*grumble grumble*

"lol I have Skysovereign" is a real thing hahaha

Skysovereign is the kind of card that you cast and then cue up Some music, because the moment it resolves you know it's going to hurt.

The amount of Aggro seems way too high for Standard, and like others have said I don't think the answers are up to par. I'm crossing my fingers that Aether Revolt will have some sort of "generic" modual answers to replace what we'll be losing when BFZ Rotates.

Wulfric

*gasp*

I've never been avatar quoted before. Hooray! :D

I'm calling it, we're getting RGW Ajani vs Nicol Bolas next block.

As for Kamigawa, I think there's some genuine value in revisiting the plane. It came out ages ago and there's been major influxes of new players since then. My playgroup really only knows it as the home of Kiki-Jiki, Sensei's Diving Top, and Umezawa's Jitte. I think the lore has been largely forgotten.

Ajani is one of the best planeswalkers ever

Yes.

Angry Grimace

I mean, I haven't won a game yet because my opponent had Angel of Invention, Verdurous Gearhulk or Skysovereign every single game and I don't. There's just way too many unanswerable bombs, regardless of whether they're mythic or not.

Ashodin

Skysovereign is the kind of card that you cast and then cue up Some music, because the moment it resolves you know it's going to hurt.

The amount of Aggro seems way too high for Standard, and like others have said I don't think the answers are up to par. I'm crossing my fingers that Aether Revolt will have some sort of "generic" modual answers to replace what we'll be losing when BFZ Rotates.

I just think the flavor of Skysovereign is so so dope. Just flies in, guns a-blazing, then flies over and guns something else down.

6yS6JYH.gif

I just think the flavor of Skysovereign is so so dope. Just flies in, guns a-blazing, then flies over and guns something else down.

6yS6JYH.gif

no not guns, can't have guns in magic. Jet engines are fine, electricity is fine, metro stations are fine, skyscrapers are fine, apartment complexes are fine, mech suits are fine, flame throwers are fine... but no no, can't have guns, that's a line that can't be crossed.

I hate Kaladesh so much

Ashodin

no not guns, can't have guns in magic. Jet engines are fine, electricity is fine, metro stations are fine, skyscrapers are fine, apartment complexes are fine, mech suits are fine, flame throwers are fine... but no no, can't have guns, that's a line that can't be crossed.

I hate Kaladesh so much

Cannons are still ok

Angry Grimace

I hate Kaladesh so much

The only valid explanation is that they want everyone on every plan to be beholden to magical shit, therefore if they have magic guns, its fine because there's magical properties to it.

I mean, that and that a sniper rifle would probably give you +20/+0 first strike and unblockable.

Ashodin

The only valid explanation is that they want everyone on every plan to be beholden to magical shit, therefore if they have magic guns, its fine because there's magical properties to it.

I mean, that and that a sniper rifle would probably give you +20/+0 first strike and unblockable.

What are you talking about, a sniper rifle would deal 2 damage to target tapped creature

It's just silly when it results in a plane like Kaladesh that's effectively centuries ahead of even Ravnica, having all of it explained away with magical electricity when Izzet literally already uses steam power.

Not to mention that sharpshooters didn't exist for a long time after guns were invented which originally were confined to little more than melee range or required a barrage.

Angry Grimace

What are you talking about, a sniper rifle would deal 2 damage to target tapped creature

I mean, like a real one, not a dumb MTG one where it has nonsensical restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom