• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Yeah I have to, but I like bringing weird and wacky commander decks tho

Urggh my deck needs some good lategame removal. Skywhaler's shot is pretty powerful.

Violet_0

Banned
Is there any deck that shouldn't have Smug Copter in it?

I play copter in my R/U creatureless deck just because

--
regarding Magic Duels, my Origins thopter deck is still pretty intact and under normal circumstances I can easily overwhelm my opponent as usual - except there are too many freaking sweeper. Like, R got Radiant Flames and that Kozilek recastable instant sweeper in Zendikar 2.0, and Rolling Thunder or whatever it's called, and then there's all the white sweeper and Languish ... it's sorta frustrating playing against people who have unlocked all the cards and can hang back and board wipe every turn while sitting on three planeswalkers, while you're forced into being the aggressive players due to not having access to all the quality cards

--
and about Commander, ignoring the combo commanders for a second, Jeleva looks super unfair

Could have sworn there was a thread for this, but I can't find it now, sooo...

Has anyone played the card game known as Force of Will? During the Kaladesh prerelease, I noticed that my game store had some beginner decks for it, but the store owner told me they didn't have any free sample decks like Magic does, and they weren't running any events. Is the game good, for those who already play Magic? Does it have Limited events like Magic?

bigkrev

Has anyone played the card game known as Force of Will? During the Kaladesh prerelease, I noticed that my game store had some beginner decks for it, but the store owner told me they didn't have any free sample decks like Magic does, and they weren't running any events. Is the game good, for those who already play Magic? Does it have Limited events like Magic?

It's super popular at the store I play at (bigger than YGO/Pokemon), but I've noticed people are dropping the game,and there was a video on Alpha Investments basically talking about how badly the company was fucking up the game.

No idea about limited but it uses standard-style rotation for tournaments.

Toxi

Banned
For all people complain about the crazy overpowered legends from the commander decks, they're not any worse than legends like Zur the Enchanter or Jhoira of the Ghitu we've gotten over the many years of Magic.

God, fuck Zur.

Ozigizo

Admittedly my total experience is less, but I'm not convinced either of these is nearly as much of a problem as Derevi or Prossh is.

Meren is pretty bad. Experience counters are weird and uniteractive, so it feels like you can't lose once you get over like 4.

For all people complain about the crazy overpowered legends from the commander decks, they're not any worse than legends like Zur the Enchanter or Jhoira of the Ghitu we've gotten over the many years of Magic.

God, fuck Zur.

Both of those stop working when the commander dies. Though, the problem with Zur is that you can finish a game with just a couple swings. (Emperial Armor and double strike.) You still have a chance to interact with Jhoira's spells coming off of suspend, so I feel like she isn't on the same tier as Zur.

Ashodin

Force of Will = Anime tiddies and eyas + MTG

I played my first EDH game in over a year on Monday night. I knew my deck was bad and I was amongst ransoms at a bar I discovered that has a weekly. Was fun, learned a lot about my shitty deck... I hate shuffling those 100 card stacks and my deck's theme is Mercenaries. I honestly didn't really think it through.

Also, played Decree of Pain for the first time. Card is no joke. I always dismissed it before.

No one did degenerate things, seems like a fairly healthy crew of peeps. Need to make some tweaks and give it another go next week...

MoxManiac

Meren is pretty bad. Experience counters are weird and uniteractive, so it feels like you can't lose once you get over like 4.

Both of those stop working when the commander dies. Though, the problem with Zur is that you can finish a game with just a couple swings. (Emperial Armor and double strike.) You still have a chance to interact with Jhoira's spells coming off of suspend, so I feel like she isn't on the same tier as Zur.

I see things far, far more broken played in edh on a regular basis than recurring one creature per turn. Meren is not that bad.

I see things far, far more broken played in edh on a regular basis than recurring one creature per turn. Meren is not that bad.
Meren is pretty bad, she's not 'end the game on the spot' bad but she accrues too much value in a short amount of time. If I see her on the table then it's no punches hold for me and the decks I bring.
Admittedly my total experience is less, but I'm not convinced either of these is nearly as much of a problem as Derevi or Prossh is.
Mizzix definitely compares to Prossh and Meren to Derevi imo.

Toxi

Banned

Meren stops working when she dies too. Saying she's less interactive than Jhoira is laughable.

The entire point of EDH is to play the most broken shit possible without pissing the other people off at the table. It's about finding the tolerance of the playgroup, then skimming just under that limit.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I still rue the fact that the Kalemne sucks so hard.

Who would have thought that giving a boros deck commander experience counters based on casting big shit (of which red/white has so little chance to mana-accelerate outside of good artifact fixing), only to have the commander....act as a beatsick would be a good idea.

Meren's pretty good, though. There's so much potential value in ETB/LTB recursion. (I have a friend who has a Roon of the HIdden Realms deck who has some pretty darn good synergy with blue/white lockdown shenanigans accompanied by green ramp.)

But comparing her to Jhoira, in which you can cheat in Emrakul/Ulamog/(insert other absurd high cost card here) in 4 turns is pretty bad. At least Meren has to still be on the field to use her ability.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Same is true for Zur.

Doesn't any good Zur deck immediately dig up Diplomatic Immunity, though?

Playing vs Zur is basically 'have each other player hold at least 1 kill spell/board wipes' (in case of counterspells), dig diplomatic immunity out of his deck with slaughter games or the like, or have Stranglehold/Ob nix Unshackled up, lol.

That being said, Zur's (with DI in the deck) only likely to see play once or twice at a table before getting hated out entirely, or adapting to not using DI.

Doesn't any good Zur deck immediately dig up Diplomatic Immunity, though?

Playing vs Zur is basically 'have each other player hold at least 1 kill spell/board wipes' (in case of counterspells), dig diplomatic immunity out of his deck with slaughter games or the like, or have Stranglehold/Ob nix Unshackled up, lol.

That being said, Zur's (with DI in the deck) only likely to see play once or twice at a table before getting hated out entirely, or adapting to not using DI.

I personally think DI isn't particularly good, it doesn't protect from edicts or wraths. Vanishing is what you fetch when you want to protect Zur.
If you are competitive the first thing to fetch is almost always Necro, Rhystic Study if you want to hold back. Pay ~20 life shape your hand and win from there.
The real degenerate Zur builds are usually doomsday and/or storm. The voltron empirical armor build is still very strong but are much easier beaten since they are entirely reliant on Zur.

Now that I've cut Stasis, a truly miserable card, I should take out Pemmin's Aura, I've considered adding the white and black leylines and I still need greater auramancy.

Image.ashx

My plan for copter. Discuss.

Magic Story - Release
* Ajani is jumping around rooftops covered in a cloak, heading for Oviya's place, who he refers to as Grandmother. She gave him metal gauntlets, to give the appearance that he had his human hands replaced as opposed to having paws, and he's still getting used to them, particularly how it impacts his balance.
* The Consulate has broken into her house, looking for anything useful. They discuss how Rashimi has progressed in the competition with her vase teleporter, noting that soon they could be teleporting Gearhulks.
* They wonder if Oviya has a pet, due to all the white fur, whereupon Ajani knocks them out from behind.
* Ajani grabs their supervisor, and learns from him that Oviya should have been captured by now. Ajani knocks him out, saying he doesn't kill anymore.
* Ajani is able to detect Oviya's distinct scent and follows it.

* Six months ago, on Kamigawa, in Oboro (Palace in the Clouds), Ajani arrives, and the moonfolk children greet him as Mister Cat.
* Ajani and Tamiyo meet up. They know each other.
* It turns out Narset (of Tarkir) often visits that place too. The three of them are part of a book club story circle.
* The children want Ajani to tell them the story of Shards of Alara again, but Tamiyo shoos them away.
* Tamiyo asks about Elspeth, and Ajani tells her she's not coming.

* Back to the present, Ajani meets up a renegade. Ajani has hidden himself in his cloak, such that his cat parts aren't visible. The elf renegade declares that her codename is Shadowblayde, with a 'y', which doesn't impress Ajani. Combined with her odd style of speaking, this causes Ajani to ask if she read a lot as a child. She responds that she read a bit too much, according to her mother. "That explains it," he thinks.
* They arrive at an apartment complex on a dark block. Ajani is surprised that such a place exists on Kaladesh. Shadowblayde explains that the Consulate cut off power here due to the block being "underutilized", and redirected the power to support the Inventors' Fair.
* There, they meet up with more renegades. They almost address Shadowblayde by her real name until she stops them.
* Tamni (from Pia's story) tells them how Pia was captured. She's upset she couldn't help, but Ajani tells her that giving this information was enough help.

* Back to six months ago. A young boy, Nashi, watches Ajani's meeting with Tamiyo through a secret passage. He's sickened by the meat that Ajani is eating, as are the other moonfolk with Tamiyo at the meeting.
* Tamiyo says that she's heading over to Innistrad soon.
* Ajani asks about Nashi. Tamiyo explains that he's a nezumi (rat person) from a village that was burned down by planeswalkers. This was at the request of Tezzeret, to serve his consortium. Hearing this makes Nashi uncomfortable.
* Ajani has heard of Tezzeret from Elspeth, who encountered him two years ago. Tamiyo says this is impossible, as he was killed by nezumi three years ago, and a dragon took away his corpse.
* Nashi has flashbacks. A man made of fire holds up his mother and burns her to death, as he runs away. She smelled like the meat that Ajani is eating. He sobs, and this causes Tamiyo to call him into the room. She tells Ajani that it's easy to forget that their actions have consequences.
* About the man of fire, the picture in the article implies that it's just a Fire Elemental, but it would be neat if there was an enemy planeswalker who was a superior fire mage to Chandra.

* Back to the present. Through the renegade information network, they've learned that Oviya was last seen heading for the Dhund Prison.
* The renegades know of a few entrances to the prison--so why didn't Oviya know the renegades knew this?
* Ajani wants to head in alone, with Shadowblayde providing a way to get back out. She gives him a mechanical bird that will lead him to an entrance.
* She asks him his codename, and he says it's White Cat. She asks why, and he decides she helped him enough, so he reveals his face. She's fine with it. She tells him her true name, Vatti.
* He reaches an entrance and the mechanical bird unlocks it for him. A guard confronts him, but he punches him out before he can complete his sentence. Following Oviya's smell, he reaches the room with the Deadlock Trap.

* Five months ago. Tamiyo has already left, and Ajani is packing up to go. He tells Nashi that he's going to look for Tezzeret. He was found on Kaladesh, and someone's giving him money and power.
* Nashi recalls how his village elders had him watch as they executed Tezzeret, after Jace cut off his arm and did something to his mind. Nashi asks if he'll kill him, and he doesn't know.
* Ajani sniffs the cloak he got from Elspeth. Nashi asks about her, and Ajani tells him. It's once again confirmed that Elspeth came from a world that was taken over by Phyrexia, and encountered them for the second time on Mirrodin; and that Ajani has successfully told people on Theros that their gods are a sham.
* More children have come to listen. They tell him that in the great stories, the hero's mentor dies before the hero can save the world. Ajani says that in that case, he should have been the one to die. He laments that all she wanted was a home.

* Back to the present, Ajani removes his gauntlets and attacks the guards around the Deadlock Trap without a disguise. He strikes toward a man's throat, but in that instant, he is able to weigh the man's soul, seeing his life, and determines he doesn't deserve to die, thus redirecting his blow to be nonlethal.
* He uses his axe to blow off the hinges on the trap's door.
* Chandra is surprised by Ajani, and compares him to "Gids". Ajani doesn't know what that is.
* Ajani uses healing magic on Oviya. The others are more or less fine.
* They're about to leave, but Oviya chastises Ajni for leaving behind the gauntlets.
* The guard that Ajani struck wakes up, surprised he isn't dead. Ajani tells him to go home and be a family man.

Matriox

Would anyone that has 2 Verderous Gearhulk in the US be interested in 2 Smugglers Copter? I have 2 extra copters and didn't pack any green gearhulk :(

Call me weird, but I actually really liked today's story. Ajani getting back into the plot is always good, and that moment where he broke down and wept for Elspeth was probably one of the better written parts.

Some things of note from the Story that I saw pointed out by Reddit:

• The burning of the Village was led by Jace when he was with the Infinite Consortium
  • Ajani letting the story of Elspeth basically grow on Theros could mean Heliod gets weakened, hopefully a setup for Theros 2

jph139

Yeah, I really liked the flashback segments - Ajani and Tamiyo are both written with a lot more... subtlety? Depth? Compared to most MTG characters.

Ajani's whole "it should have been me" survivor's guilt isn't super novel, but his understanding it as part of the whole hero's journey motif was a cool angle with a lot of pathos.

Also the ratbaby was cute.

OnPoint

Wasn't a Nezumi PW confirmed somewhere, sometime?

And no Elspeth won't become a god, she's bound to appear against the phyrexians again and Theros definitely won't be invaded.

There's nothing that says her being a God means she can't planeswalk. They sort of set up for this with Thassa's bident. She'll be both once she becomes planeswalker Jesus, but she'll be a God on Theros.

Wasn't a Nezumi PW confirmed somewhere, sometime?

And no Elspeth won't become a god, she's bound to appear against the phyrexians again and Theros definitely won't be invaded.

I mean, Compleated gods would be... interesting.

There's nothing that says her being a God means she can't planeswalk. They sort of set up for this with Thassa's bident. She'll be both once she becomes planeswalker Jesus, but she'll be a God on Theros.

Didn't they explicitly confirm that Xenagos retained his planeswalking ability when he became a god?

Me and my brother both received our Kaladesh Bundles today and wanted to build a sealed deck with the included booster packs for fun and practice for the upcoming event. My brothers Kaladesh Bundle only came with 9 instead of the promised 10 booster packs, so that was quite a negative surprise.

Yeah, I really liked the flashback segments - Ajani and Tamiyo are both written with a lot more... subtlety? Depth? Than most characters.

Ajani's whole "it should have been me" survivor's guilt isn't super novel, but his understanding it as part of the whole hero's journey motif was a cool angle with a lot of pathos.

Also the ratbaby was cute.

Seeing even a brief slice of everyday planeswalker family life is a nice change of pace. I mean, especially given the fact that the vast majority of PWs we see are quite single, never mind being married with kids. Which may well be the point of Ajani being there to reflect on Elspeth simply wanting a home.

Me and my brother both received our Kaladesh Bundles today and wanted to build a sealed deck with the included booster packs for fun and practice for the upcoming event. My brothers Kaladesh Bundle only came with 9 instead of the promised 10 booster packs, so that was quite a negative surprise.

Damn. Have you filed a complaint yet because that's garbage.

Oh you're right Doug Beyer on his tumblr or whatever even said so, they just haven't figured out what it means for their godhood.
Heliod being a former PW is a popular theory though, which also ties to Chandra and Gideon.

OnPoint

Oh you're right Doug Beyer on his tumblr or whatever even said so, they just haven't figured out what it means for their godhood.
Heliod being a former PW is a popular theory though, which also ties to Chandra and Gideon.

I firmly believe he was a planeswalker at some point. I'm also waiting for the reveal that he's someone's relative lol

SOMEONE'S GOTTA BE A RELATIVE AT SOME POINT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom