• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They fixed literally the only problem with my deck. I <3 U Smug Cop

You're saying after all this time you have big raging hard-on for aggro

I did not know

nobody knew

what a revelation

CuHdES8UkAAMiRd.jpg:large

Oh please, like red would be a woman. Even if the leader is a woman, she'll be pink, and marketing will still treat the male red as the leader. Still, neat.

On another note, this article about the Planeswalker Decks, in response to the Professor complaining about them, brought up some good points. When I watched the video a few days ago, it really struck me how the Professor completely misunderstood the purpose of these decks, complaining about how they don't do a good job guiding new players into Standard and such. These are clearly intended for casual play; and even as someone who started reading Magic articles and such soon after I started playing, it took me years to actually start attending official events, and that's still just Prereleases mainly.

When I first started playing Magic, the last thing I wanted out of my deck was consistency. When I played practice games with myself, I didn't shuffle my cards from the previous game back in, but rather put them on the bottom of my library, so I would definitely get different cards my next game. When I played against other people (casually), I was really annoyed when they told me to cut this out, since my feeling was that my opponent should appreciate seeing a variety of cards.

The goal of these Planeswalker Decks and other products, including Duel Decks, is to provide this variety. This is especially important when playing in a circle of friends that only has one or two decks each, so that you'd play against the same decks with your same deck very frequently.

Plus, this serves the purpose of exposing the player to a wide variety of cards. This is something I was aiming for with my own beginner decks that I've sometimes posted (but I haven't worked on in a long time).

I also like the article's point that complaining about the EV of the Planeswalker Decks is like buying Settlers of Catan and then being upset you won't get much money if you sell the game pieces online. For the intended audience of these Planeswalker Decks, the idea of selling the cards inside probably wouldn't occur to them. Hell, I've been playing for years and have some pretty valuable cards, and I still haven't sold anything.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sections of the Magic community still drastically overestimate the importance of competitive play to the game's audience. I mean, I like casually following competitive play, and the opening of packs to fuel of the secondary market certainly makes Wizards a good chunk of change, but the silent majority out there is still kitchen table Magic, in my estimation

Ashodin

Sections of the Magic community still drastically overestimate the importance of competitive play to the game's audience. I mean, I like casually following competitive play, and the opening of packs to fuel of the secondary market certainly makes Wizards a good chunk of change, but the silent majority out there is still kitchen table Magic, in my estimation

I think this is the thing too, however the Professor wants to see more people take their kitchen table to FNMs. The sense of community you get when you go is awesome.

Violet_0

Banned
does anyone actually like Gideon? I mean, I can sort of see the appeal of the other Power Rangers, but his only noteworthy feature are his sideburns

99% sure they're joking
I wasn't entirely sure hence I'm asking.
does anyone actually like Gideon? I mean, I can sort of see the appeal of the other Power Rangers, but his only noteworthy feature are his sideburns
I like Gideon his story just makes no sense and they haven't really found anything for him to be yet and they are only trying to make him Elspeth.
He was supposed to be spec ops but they instead made him soldier and general. Heck Ajani gets to be spec ops now when he's like the most obvious standout dude imaginable he's a cat.

I watched a Modern no-ban list game on Mox Boarding House that was Eldrazi versus Hypergenesis.

Hypergenesis was similar to Living End with the Cascade triggers. No ban Eldrazi featured Cloudpost and obviously Eye of Ugin.

On the 8th they will be featuring a full no-ban list Modern tournament.

I like Gideon as a character. I'm not such a huge fan of Ally of Zendikar for stealing so much from Elspeth's abilities, but I like him. He's basically Superman with sideburns. Plus, there's a running theme that Gideon is still carrying around a lot of baggage from killing his friends despite his friendly demeanor, and I think Gideon's probably the best Mono character they have for a face. The rest of the Gatewatch bleeds into other colors but Gideon is basically White to his core.

I also like the article's point that complaining about the EV of the Planeswalker Decks is like buying Settlers of Catan and then being upset you won't get much money if you sell the game pieces online. For the intended audience of these Planeswalker Decks, the idea of selling the cards inside probably wouldn't occur to them. Hell, I've been playing for years and have some pretty valuable cards, and I still haven't sold anything.

I think the Professor's point on this is actually much stronger than on the other one. It's true that people buying these are unlikely to be selling their cards, but then most people don't actively sell cards that often. Rather, value is mostly relevant internally to the Magic market by serving as the basis of trade. Learning about trading and exchanging parts of your collection for other things you want in your decks is an important aspect of the game. If you sell beginners a product that costs them money but doesn't give them anything at all worth trading for, it isn't necessarily a great experience on this level. (This was a lot of the problem with earlier intro products like Portal; you got what was at the time basically worthless garbage for your money, since people couldn't play them in defined formats so no one would trade for them.)

bigkrev

I think the Professor's point on this is actually much stronger than on the other one. It's true that people buying these are unlikely to be selling their cards, but then most people don't actively sell cards that often. Rather, value is mostly relevant internally to the Magic market by serving as the basis of trade. Learning about trading and exchanging parts of your collection for other things you want in your decks is an important aspect of the game. If you sell beginners a product that costs them money but doesn't give them anything at all worth trading for, it isn't necessarily a great experience on this level. (This was a lot of the problem with earlier intro products like Portal; you got what was at the time basically worthless garbage for your money, since people couldn't play them in defined formats so no one would trade for them.)

But outside of Rats Nest in 2004, has a precon/intro EVER been something you could trade parts of?

Yeef

I didn't actually watch the video, but the thing to remember is that the decks come with 2 booster packs. Sure, the EV of a pack is usually net-negative, but to a new player, that's not a big deal. There's still the chance of opening a copter or a masterpiece or another money card, just like any other sealed product.

New players, especially younger ones, are all about planeswalkers. It doesn't matter what they do, or if they're a good card, they are infatuated with the idea of planeswalkers. Most of the middle-of-the-road and enfranchised players grow out of it, but a lot of the super-casuals never do. Having 9 ~ 10 preconstructed products a year that guarantee that market planeswalker cards is definitely a good call.

The only criticism I have is that, since there's a limit of 2 per set, it might turn people off if they can't play their favorite color. For example, the Chandra deck is RW and the GU; if you really want a black deck, you're out of luck for the time being. Under the old intro pack model, you could always get a deck of your preferred color.

tfw maro asks on his blog what product they should get rid of from their current lineup and people respond "conspiracy"

158.png

But outside of Rats Nest in 2004, has a precon/intro EVER been something you could trade parts of?

The old precons were a pretty bad product! The intro packs post-Khans at least had unique-art promos in front.

Ashodin

blind fury seems that combat trick that Krenko really hates

also they wanted them to remove conspiracy because it essentially got barely any play after it released, too close to the hotness of kaladesh

That's okay I'm prepared for the release of Un-set 3

Where everyone buys it for hilarious limited + full art lands from John Avon

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
tfw maro asks on his blog what product they should get rid of from their current lineup and people respond "conspiracy"

IMG]http://mtg.wtf/cards_hq/mr/158.png[/IMG]

The old precons were a pretty bad product! The intro packs post-Khans at least had unique-art promos in front.

I can see why people name Conspiracy. It's a reprint set, but its a reprint set that's mostly terrible value that tends to be a chore to actually play as intended rather than just as a booster pack product that has Berserk and Show and Tell in it.

Angry Grimace

I don't understand why people keep saying Emerge is a super hard deck to play. It isn't a real toolbox deck since you're playing nothing but creatures you would want to draw naturally anyways and you rarely have a lot of functionally different options.

The Grixis one doesn't even have all that many lines of play (although it isn't even a vaguely similar deck).

Ashodin

I don't understand why people keep saying Emerge is a super hard deck to play. It isn't a real toolbox deck since you're playing nothing but creatures you would want to draw naturally anyways and you rarely have a lot of functionally different options.

The Grixis one doesn't even have all that many lines of play (although it isn't even a vaguely similar deck).
Maybe people are scared of emerge

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Conspiracy was just too much of a pain in the ass to play, filled with too many cards that were entirely useless outside of a conspiracy draft. For someone who is more value minded these days I hated the set.

Also thought the latest story article was quite good, despite the typos.

When I first started playing Magic, the last thing I wanted out of my deck was consistency.
I'm still at this point, and just want to say that it makes the game FUN.

I mean, of course I want my deck to realize its strategy during the course of a game, but honestly having a deck be totally consistent is boring. Sure I like winning, but I don't always want to see card A as my 1-drop because I have 4 copies in the deck, and then card B as my 2-drop because again there's 4 copies.

It's more interesting to get card A, B, or C as my 1-drop and see how it plays out, even if those cards are similar. But yes, I too mainly just play kitchen table magic.

Supast4r

I'm still at this point, and just want to say that it makes the game FUN.

I mean, of course I want my deck to realize its strategy during the course of a game, but honestly having a deck be totally consistent is boring. Sure I like winning, but I don't always want to see card A as my 1-drop because I have 4 copies in the deck, and then card B as my 2-drop because again there's 4 copies.

It's more interesting to get card A, B, or C as my 1-drop and see how it plays out, even if those cards are similar. But yes, I too mainly just play kitchen table magic.
Sounds like an edh player

Crocodile

There have been pre-cons with fetchlands, shocklands, Inkmoth Nexus, etc. in them. Not the $15 dollar ones (though those had stuff like Wolfir Silverheart in them while that card was worth a bunch) but the $30 ones that are now a defunct series.

Source?

Also took me a second to get it but LOL. I still say there is a shockingly small amount of MTG related fanart, especially in comparison to how much cosplay there is. It feels like the inverse of most other fanbases.

Angry Grimace

There have been pre-cons with fetchlands, shocklands, Inkmoth Nexus, etc. in them. Not the $15 dollar ones (though those had stuff like Wolfir Silverheart in them while that card was worth a bunch) but the $30 ones that are now a defunct series.

Source?

Also took me a second to get it but LOL. I still say there is a shockingly small amount of MTG related fanart, especially in comparison to how much cosplay there is. It feels like the inverse of most other fanbases.
One of the last clash packs had Dromoka's Command, Windswept Heath and Collected Company.

Angry Grimace

Maybe people are scared of emerge

If you're piloting it, its quite simple, imo. It's annoying to play against though because the tendency to hit Time Walk that comes with a 5/6 and a board wipe can be tilt-inducing.

New League system coming, with a preview during Aether Revolt and the full version coming with Amonkhet. The article describes this as though it were an update to an existing system, but I've never heard of this. I'm not sure how this will all work, or if it will be any fun.

The playtest version of the league will work as such:
* Players will open three booster packs and use those boosters to build a 30-card deck.
* The league will last four weeks.
* Every week, players will add a booster pack to their pool, rebuilding as often as players would like. Players can also add a booster after three losses, once per week.
* Matches consist of a single game. Each player gets one free mulligan at the start of the game.
* Players will play against each other, earning Planeswalker Points and, of course, bragging rights.

Latest Developments article about artifact destruction
* Just a tone thing, but the opening paragraph implies that they didn't expect Smuggler's Copter to be as ubiquitous as it is.
* In Mirrodin, they didn't like how you were basically required to have artifact destruction in your sideboard or even mainboard.
* They consider the amount of equipment present on Mirrodin to lead to unfun gameplay.
* The amount of artifact destruction in Mirrodin prevented decks based on combining artifacts from seeing much play, outside of super fast ones like Krark-Clan Ironworks.
* Unlike the Mirrodin blocks, they haven't printed cards that push a powerful all-out artifacts deck, so there isn't a need for strong answers like Creeping Corrosion (destroy all artifacts).
* Since people will be less inclined to have artifact destruction if the popular decks run a couple of vehicles and that's it, that leaves more room for artifact-based combo decks to work.
* That said, artifact hate will be coming in sets throughout the next year.
* In Limited, a benefit of not making artifacts hard to deal with is that colors like black and blue aren't left out in the cold in terms of removal.
* A solution is to have the artifacts promote strategies that involve creatures, instead of making it "get all the artifacts". That way, black can kill the creatures instead of worrying about the artifacts.
* A hidden benefit of infect in Scars of Mirrodin is that it forced them to make bad equipment, and thus black was stronger there than in Mirrodin.
* This leads to a Limited environment where the puzzle isn't what removal to use, but how to interact with strategies.

Also, random thought, but would a reprint of this be any good this Standard?
103.jpg

Given how so many players are willingly discarding cards.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
lol blue and black being left out in the cold with artifact hate but heaven forbid red gets help with enchantments

Also there will never be a benefit on any level to infect.

Angry Grimace

It's not so much that the deck is hard, but more that I suck at MTG early in the morning because I just lost 2 straight matches to a dorky Vampires deck because I somehow managed to misclick something every game, e.g. accidentally kept a 1 lander, accidentally play a Grapple from the Past instead of a critical blocker, etc.

New League system coming, with a preview during Aether Revolt and the full version coming with Amonkhet. The article describes this as though it were an update to an existing system, but I've never heard of this. I'm not sure how this will all work, or if it will be any fun.

* Just a tone thing, but the opening paragraph implies that they didn't expect Smuggler's Copter to be as ubiquitous as it is.
* In Mirrodin, they didn't like how you were basically required to have artifact destruction in your sideboard or even mainboard.
* They consider the amount of equipment present on Mirrodin to lead to unfun gameplay.
* The amount of artifact destruction in Mirrodin prevented decks based on combining artifacts from seeing much play, outside of super fast ones like Krark-Clan Ironworks.
* Unlike the Mirrodin blocks, they haven't printed cards that push a powerful all-out artifacts deck, so there isn't a need for strong answers like Creeping Corrosion (destroy all artifacts).
* Since people will be less inclined to have artifact destruction if the popular decks run a couple of vehicles and that's it, that leaves more room for artifact-based combo decks to work.
* In Limited, a benefit of not making artifacts hard to deal with is that colors like black and blue aren't left out in the cold in terms of removal.
* A solution is to have the artifacts promote strategies that involve creatures, instead of making it "get all the artifacts". That way, black can kill the creatures instead of worrying about the artifacts.
* A hidden benefit of infect in Scars of Mirrodin is that it forced them to make bad equipment, and thus black was stronger there than in Mirrodin.
* This leads to a Limited environment where the puzzle isn't what removal to use, but how to interact with strategies.

Also, random thought, but would a reprint of this be any good this Standard?
103.jpg

Given how so many players are willingly discarding cards.

They literally need to fire Sam Stoddard if they didn't expect Smuggler's Copter to be good. Like actually seriously terminate his employment if true.

I've been seeing a lot of 'get rid of masters'. Which is honestly the proper diagnosis. It's not fulfilling its intended goal. People also say FtV, but I get the feeling that wish is already granted. Most people are pointing out that the sets just need to be spread out.

bigkrev

I had no idea that Naturalize wasn't standard legal right now. Also, his comment that "instant speed removal deals with Vehicals!" is funny, because here is the sum total of instant speed removal spells that are even remotely standard playable
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

I can see why people name Conspiracy. It's a reprint set, but its a reprint set that's mostly terrible value that tends to be a chore to actually play as intended rather than just as a booster pack product that has Berserk and Show and Tell in it.

I mean I already know a bunch of miserable whiny dweebs play Magic but I still don't want them bitching to WotC about one of the actually good products they put out. This one in particular was a dramatically better reprint set than any of the Masters sets, even.

Your rhetorical use of that card aside, that art is really stunning.

The Mirage block has easily some of the best unusual and striking art in Magic's history, just because of the unusual artists brought on for it. This one's particularly phenomenal, though.

MoxManiac

What is people's beef with conspiracy? Conspiracy 2 is one of the best things to come from WotC in a long time. Super fun draft format, and a ton of great reprints in a set that is printed enough for them to be easy to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom