• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

I had no idea that Naturalize wasn't standard legal right now. Also, his comment that "instant speed removal deals with Vehicals!" is funny, because here is the sum total of instant speed removal spells that are even remotely standard playable
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
I'd argue these are all playable, even if they're not necessarily seeing play right now.

242.jpg
80.jpg
29.jpg

50.jpg
85.jpg

There's also borderline cards like Immolating Glare and Galvanic Bombardment.

What is people's beef with conspiracy? Conspiracy 2 is one of the best things to come from WotC in a long time. Super fun draft format, and a ton of great reprints in a set that is printed enough for them to be easy to get.

No one's playing it. I'd love to draft it but organizing a draft myself is too much effort.

I'd argue these are all playable, even if they're not necessarily seeing play right now.

242.jpg
80.jpg
29.jpg

50.jpg
85.jpg

There's also borderline cards like Immolating Glare and Galvanic Bombardment.
Galvanic Bmbardement is really good now
8.jpg
13.jpg
135.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The problem with the 3 damage stuff is that you will usually have to get rid of veteran motorist first instead.

Sounds like an edh player
EDH can be fun with a group of close friends, but it's not something I want to do often. It takes too much time and is too unfocussed for me. I like the competitive aspect of Magic, I just prefer that each deck is not hitting the same cards all the time, since it gets a little stale. That's why I love limited formats like sealed deck and limited leagues.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What is people's beef with conspiracy? Conspiracy 2 is one of the best things to come from WotC in a long time. Super fun draft format, and a ton of great reprints in a set that is printed enough for them to be easy to get.

The only real problem with it is that its somewhat difficult to actually play it as intended because you really do have to go down to the LGS to really play it. Or have 5+ friends. And no MTG player has 5+ friends.

MoxManiac

The only real problem with it is that its somewhat difficult to actually play it as intended because you really do have to go down to the LGS to really play it. Or have 5+ friends. And no MTG player has 5+ friends.

I guess that's reasonable. I don't understand why going to a local LGS is such a barrier though. I assumed most hardcore MTG players did that in at least some capacity.

So, Kaladesh boosters are already $2.5 on the secondary market in MTGO. Is that typical or is it due to the recent negative backlash?

I like Conspiracy too but unlike many I think Eternal Masters is way better.

Eternal Masters (and masters in general) would be better if it didn't cost as much as it did. Conspiracy was a far better value proposition. And this is coming from someone who got masters for MSRP.

OnPoint

Eternal Masters (and masters in general) would be better if it didn't cost as much as it did. Conspiracy was a far better value proposition. And this is coming from someone who got masters for MSRP.

The only packs of Eternal Masters I picked up I did so to cash out a rewards program my LGS was doing away with.

Fuck the price of those packs.

I guess that's reasonable. I don't understand why going to a local LGS is such a barrier though. I assumed most hardcore MTG players did that in at least some capacity.
Conspiracy was drafted exactly once at my LGS.
Yeah no way I'm paying 30+ for a draft.

Yeef

lol, we didn't know that a colorless 3/3 flier that loots for 2cmc would be good, guys!
He didn't actually say that. He basically said "Smug Cop is seeing a lot of play right now; let's see how the format adjusts to it."

We are one week into Standard, and Kaladesh has already made a big impact. Vehicles were crewed, energy was spent, and the Bomat Courier delivered quite a few packages. All in all, it was good to see the set make such as splash—even if the Smuggler's Copter was so ubiquitous. We'll have to see how Standard reacts to that card in the coming weeks. But, I'm not here to talk about Standard, I'm here to talk about artifact removal, and how our philosophy on hate cards for a set has evolved in the past two decades.

Wulfric

Bant Eldrazi without Cavern, yay or nay?

I might be able to borrow one, but I don't know if I can play at this Modern PPTQ tomorrow without it.

Smug Copter is the second coming of Jace VP in terms of decks jamming him, isn't he?

Like, if they didn't see him being this huge player Wizards needs to fire the majority of their R&D Department. Jace was acceptable(until 4 Colour shit started showing up everywhere), but Smug Dodges Sorcery removal, is 3 Toughness(lol good luck stopping it with a shock effect) and it's crew cost is so low that you'd swear it's basically free.

When they release the M-Files, I'm definitely interested to see if Smug Copter got edited and never tested ala Jitte.

If R&D missed on Smug Copter(something that has minimal hoops to jump through) after spending time developing a Prism Array(Required multiple hoops to jump through) Prison deck, only to completely kill it in development, then they need to be yelled at for incompetence.

I'm sort of debating on spending more money on MTGO or just use Cockatrice/Xmage.

Opinions?

And which would you recommend between Cock and X.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

So, Kaladesh boosters are already $2.5 on the secondary market in MTGO. Is that typical or is it due to the recent negative backlash?

The vast majority of MTG players have never been to an LGS.

Angry Grimace

I'm sort of debating on spending more money on MTGO or just use Cockatrice/Xmage.

Opinions?

Do you want people to seriously play you? Because that's the actual difference.

Do you want people to seriously play you? Because that's the actual difference.

So if I want real play, even LGS level, I need to stick with MTGO?

EDIT: And for what it's worth, I'm one of the weirdos that is fine with MTGO. I like it, even though I also admit that it could be a lot better.

Angry Grimace

So if I want real play, even LGS level, I need to stick with MTGO?

EDIT: And for what it's worth, I'm one of the weirdos that is fine with MTGO. I like it, even though I also admit that it could be a lot better.

I mean, if you know people they will play you seriously, but random dudes on those programs are mostly goofing off.

Opinions?

MTGO is better, because you don't have idiots running Mono-Red Goblin Storm(it's as stupid as it sounds) or All-in Madcap Shitual.

On the other hand, MtGO's interface is so fucking piss poor that it's not worth the price of admission.

No VSL season 6 unless they get a sponser or reach patreon goals :( https://www.patreon.com/SuperLeague

Yeah, they'll get there though, their top goal is actually pretty low.

:(

Isn't it just their time they have to give for the VSL? Since it's all MTGO/Twitch based, I don't see where they have a lot of costs.

It takes like four people to actually run the show and they gots to get paid.

Smug Copter is the second coming of Jace VP in terms of decks jamming him, isn't he?

Can we at least wait until after the PT before we start making broad, sweeping historical claims about cards in the new set?

Daedardus

Received my Kaladesh Bundle and it turned out to be very disappointing, only opened up a Cataclysmic Gearhulk and one Aether Hub, so no lands sadly. I'll just buy some singles as opposed to buying a box, you basically have to hit the Inventions lottery to partially recoup your money.

And man, what is the cardstock and quality control bad on this set. The cards are all flimsy, very bendable and they have a very rough texture on them, with lots of chipped sides and the edges are badly cut. They should resort back to Cartamundi, because those other companies aren't doing a good job at making cards. I worry that some of the cards I pull will be marked as fake just because they were made in a piss poor factory.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Terrible pool. 0-2 so far, format seems very bomb oriented.

this was my impression from watching the first few draft videos too but ofc it's waaaay too early to tell; but it kind of seemed like you either open a bomb and get a 10/10 deck or don't and get a 6/10.

Yeef

I don't think the format is bomb-dependent too much form my experiences drafting so far. Obviously, there are some bombs that win the game pretty handily on their own, but most of them are mythics. Saheeli's Artistry is really the only rare that sticks out as game-breaking to me.

More than anything, I think this set is super curve-dependent because of how quick it can be. The aggro decks can win fairly quickly, between lots of haste creatures and vehicles being pseudo-haste creatures. Waiting until turn 4 to do anything relevant is a quick way to lose. More than any format I can think of since Gatecrash, making sure you curve out in this format is super-important.

Santiako

Full Ravnica sealed was so much fun. Crushed it 4-0 with a pretty good Esper deck, it got my self esteem back up after scrubbing up of the main event.
Also, my brother made day 2 after not playing for 11 years, so pretty good day overall.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Received my Kaladesh Bundle and it turned out to be very disappointing, only opened up a Cataclysmic Gearhulk and one Aether Hub, so no lands sadly. I'll just buy some singles as opposed to buying a box, you basically have to hit the Inventions lottery to partially recoup your money.

Opened a box today as well, and yeah, while admittedly anecdotal, I was looking at prices, and unless you open a value Mythic like Chandra, Nissa, or the Green Gearhulk....or get lucky with a Masterpiece, it's not going to be the easiest time making your money back.

That being said, if you do manage to hit that mana vault/mana crypt/sword, though.....

Might manage to make back some more on the fixer lands, though. they're going for more than I thought they would.

Santiako

Oo, I got 2 Chandra, 1 Green Gearhulk and 1 Nissa from my prize packs, and I still have 22 more to open.

Edit: opened the rest, got a Dovin Baan, a Nissa, a blue hulk and a black hulk. notbad

Ashodin

Wichu

Did a Conspiracy draft at GP London.

It was amazing (again). CN2 has been ridiculously fun to draft every time, regardless of whether I win or lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom