• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

There was a similar Dragon's Maze card that got similar buzz and did absolutely nothing in Constructed. This is strictly better than that card in many ways, but I'd be cautious about revving the hype train into overdrive.

Edit: It was this card, and this isn't strictly better - I had forgotten that Blood Scrivener proc'd on each draw, not each turn.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=369030

Depends on the deck, it's strictly better in something like Modern 8Rack where this can draw you into Instant speed discard before their draw step. Being able to Madness cast it off +1'ing LotV isn't a small benefit either but it's hard to say how well it slots into decks like BGx without playtesting it.

y2dvd

Creatures
4 x Manic Scribe
4 x Eldrazi Displacer
4 x Jace, Vryn's Podigy

Spells
2 x Negate
4 x Startled Awake
4 x Declaration in Stone
2 x Quaratine Field
3 x Silkwrap
3 x Stasis Snare
4 x Sphinx's Tutelage

Lands
4 x Blighted Cataract
2 x Mirror Pool
2 x Evolving Wilds
4 x Prairie Stream
8 x Plains
5 x Island

I just want to be able to blink Manic Scribe with Eldrazi Displacer often lol.
I could also probably make space for the new Jace. If anything, that's another card type that could go into the graveyard for Manic Scribe's Delirium trigger.
Also considering adding a Narset. Doesn't do much to the board state but there are a lot of cards to hit with +1, and -2 Startled Awake would be pretty funny.

I'll think of some sideboards later. Decks that goes wide will be a problem, so I'll add some sweepers to the sb.

Thoughts?

Toxi

Banned
Manic-Scribe_EN_HRR.png

Gibbering-Fiend_EN_HRR.png

Obsessive-Skinner_EN_HRR.png
Jesus Christ this set has some gruesome art. Quills stabbed through hands, necklaces of severed ears, and flayed human skins all on display.

If red finds a way to get delirium, or if there's a x/R deck that isn't tribal focused, I think Gibbering Fiend could see play. The art on all of these is great. For Manic Scribe, precursor to this?
Image.ashx

Yo dawg, I heard you liked tokens.

p7IBDrb.jpg
Yeah, I have a hard time understanding the flavor. The title and flavor text reflect a straightforward harvest, but the art depicts people with axes. I suppose they're actually harvesting some monsters, but how does that connect to the cornfields?

Um...

asylumvisitor.jpg

That's definitely a card. Each players upkeep? Sign me up!
In most cases, better than Blood Scrivener, since it can trigger off of opponents having empty hands. Plus, higher toughness and madness.

Today's Latest Developments had some interesting things to say about tribal cards. Mainly, we probably aren't going to get a lord that just gives all creatures of a type +1/+1 and an ability, since the ones from Dark Ascension were all incredibly similar, and instead we'll get more like Champion of the Parish that help tribes in ways unique to the tribe. Anyway, Thalia's Lieutenant is a neat variation of that card, that's more useful as a late draw (not on an empty board, of course).

Didn't see it posted (for good reason):

confirmar_sospechas_confirm_suspicions.png

Confirm Suspicions
3UU
Instant - Rare
Counter target spell. Investigate three times.

If it's a counterspell and it's rare, it's pretty much guaranteed to be garbage these days.
Not sure if I'm glad or disappointed that they didn't go with "Investigate, investigate, investigate".

JulianImp

I would consider moving it now. She's higher than she's ever been and she's potentially in both MM3 and EMA.

If you don't, its probably not a big deal, those sets don't really make a dent in prices anyways.

I'm not even actively playing the game anymore, and I'm considering moving to a "play prerelease-->sell everything except for a couple cards for EDH-->rinse and repeat for the next expansion" model in order to have fun with the game without it being a ridiculous money sink like it's been for me ever since I started playing.

It's true that reprints tend to not dent older prices all that much in the end though... which is something I kind of hate about the game. I don't care if they make my foil LotV's price crash back into the $60-ish it was worth at first and also crash the prices of other modern staples I might have been collecting over time, since that'd lead to the game being affordable for people rather than everything slowly spiraling into stupid prices that very few can pay like what has been happening for quite a while across all formats.

Jhriad

Would it be a good idea to try and move her sometime soon or should I wait for her price to get even crazier?

I would consider moving it now. She's higher than she's ever been and she's potentially in both MM3 and EMA.

If you don't, its probably not a big deal, those sets don't really make a dent in prices anyways.

MM3 is a long ways away and EMA is still a few months away as well. I'd lean toward her being in MM3 over EMA since we had the Promo last year but it's certainly possible. If you're going to move her, move her after the B&R announcement for SOI. Give it a month after SOI releases and then move her. That'll give Modern a bit more time to heat back up and maybe push her price a bit more. Protects you on the off chance that they actually do put her into EDM as well.

El Topo

Because her price is one of the larger hurdles to getting into some of the more popular archetypes in Modern? Plus she would have a real drawback if Madness and Delirium cards are decent enough. Enabling your opponents keywords for them through your planeswalkers is a good way to balance her out.

I get that, but why in Innistrad instead of MM3 (i.e. Eternal Masters)? A reprint in this block would make the card Standard legal, which probably wouldn't help the price either.

Jhriad

I get that, but why in Innistrad instead of MM3?

Because a Standard reprint will dent her price to a much larger degree, drive sales for the set, and if there is any Standard format that would curb her power level it's one where opponents benefit from you forcing them to discard.

A reprint in this block would make the card Standard legal, which probably wouldn't help the price either.

Standard sets are opened to a scale that dwarfs MM sets. If she were in EDM it would crush the value of the card. It'd still be a valuable card but it's unlikely to be $80-100+ unless the rest of the set is dogshit.

El Topo

Because a Standard reprint will dent her price to a much larger degree, drive sales for the set, and if there is any Standard format that would curb her power level it's one where opponents benefit from you forcing them to discard.

It's not just opponents that benefit from discard though and it's still a legitimately powerful card that is pretty restrictive.

Standard sets are opened to a scale that dwarfs MM sets. If she were in EDM it would crush the value of the card. It'd still be a valuable card but it's unlikely to be $80-100+ unless the rest of the set is dogshit.

I know, but it's a card that I would not expect to crumble in value simply due to usefulness. Then again, I fully admit that I'm not following MTG finance stuff.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I get that, but why in Innistrad instead of MM3? A reprint in this block would make the card Standard legal, which probably wouldn't help the price either.

WotC almost printed LotV in M15, but pulled her in favour of Liliana Vess at the last minute because a mono-B deck was already a Standard powerhouse at the time. Printing her in a large, unlimited print set, like SOI, would put a significant number of copies into the marketplace, whereas Modern Masters, which is a limited run, and has a higher MSRP, limiting its audience and reducing the number of drafts dramatically, has already shown that it doesn't make a substantial impact on the price of chase mythics.

OnPoint

I'm not even actively playing the game anymore, and I'm considering moving to a "play prerelease-->sell everything except for a couple cards for EDH-->rinse and repeat for the next expansion" model in order to have fun with the game without it being a ridiculous money sink like it's been for me ever since I started playing.

It's true that reprints tend to not dent older prices all that much in the end though... which is something I kind of hate about the game. I don't care if they make my foil LotV's price crash back into the $60-ish it was worth at first and also crash the prices of other modern staples I might have been collecting over time, since that'd lead to the game being affordable for people rather than everything slowly spiraling into stupid prices that very few can pay like what has been happening for quite a while across all formats.

I'd be interested in possibly working out a trade/buy situation if you're down, now that you've got some info on what a good decision would be.

Supast4r

It's not just opponents that benefit from discard though and it's still a legitimately powerful card that is pretty restrictive.

I know, but it's a card that I would not expect to crumble in value simply due to usefulness. Then again, I fully admit that I'm not following MTG finance stuff.

If Liliana was printed in standard she would probably be $20 at most. I think you really underestimate how much this set is going to be opened. Innistrad was very successful and this set will probably be similar.

Jhriad

Sure, you're just not the only one benefiting from the ability any longer and if you don't happen to have knowledge of what's in your opponents hand you could potentially be enabling something better on their end than on your own. Offers some interesting play at least.

If it were printed into Standard, which I'm not saying will happen just that this is the most likely place for it to happen if it were to happen, it wouldn't crumble in price. It would dent it's price and make it an expensive card for a normal Standard format ($20-40) rather than an expensive card for Eternal formats($60-100+). There are scenarios where it could end up higher but those would be scenarios where EDM ends up similar to Dragon's Maze in # of value cards or it's so terrible that people don't draft/open enough of the set to drop her in the mid-term. Of course with the summer as packed as it is a chase mythic from the set could very well hit absurd highs if the set isn't well liked because of the "summer lull" period in addition to all the attention drawn to EMA and Conspiracy 2.

All of that aside, I think she's probably not going to see a Standard reprint and we'll just have to see if she ends up in EMA or, more likely, MM3 next year.

JulianImp

I'd be interested in possibly working out a trade/buy situation if you're down, now that you've got some info on what a good decision would be.

My biggest gripe with physical trades is that I'm all the way down in Argentina, where mail tends to get "lost" and tracking it is all but impossible, so I'm really wary about attempting a trade/sell and either part of the deal getting lost or something. Handling particularily expensive cards makes it even worse, since insurance doesn't cover anything once the card exits my country, and customs would probably be all over me since foil Lili going for $250 at SCG means that I'd be shipping a single piece of cardboard worth more than half my country's minimum monthly income...

Maledict

Yeah, I have a hard time understanding the flavor. The title and flavor text reflect a straightforward harvest, but the art depicts people with axes. I suppose they're actually harvesting some monsters, but how does that connect to the cornfields?

".

The people carrying the axes are the second harvest - they are doubles of each other. I assume it's some throwback to the trope of pod people.

El Topo

If it were printed into Standard, which I'm not saying will happen just that this is the most likely place for it to happen if it were to happen, it wouldn't crumble in price. It would dent it's price and make it an expensive card for a normal Standard format ($20-40) rather than an expensive card for Eternal formats($60-100+). There are scenarios where it could end up higher but those would be scenarios where EDM ends up similar to Dragon's Maze in # of value cards or it's so terrible that people don't draft/open enough of the set to drop her in the mid-term. Of course with the summer as packed as it is a chase mythic from the set could very well hit absurd highs if the set isn't well liked because of the "summer lull" period in addition to all the attention drawn to EMA and Conspiracy 2.

All of that aside, I think she's probably not going to see a Standard reprint and we'll just have to see if she ends up in EMA or, more likely, MM3 next year.

Hey, I don't play Constructed. Price is an enormous issue and by all means, I'm not against a reprint of expensive cards.
As someone that (besides draft) only plays kitchen table I'm of course a bit more interested in new cards, but my intention wasn't to dismiss the legitimate concerns/wishes of others.

Jhriad

Hey, I don't play Constructed. Price is an enormous issue and by all means, I'm not against a reprint of expensive cards.
As someone that (besides draft) only plays kitchen table I'm of course a bit more interested in new cards, but my intention wasn't to dismiss the legitimate concerns/wishes of others.

No worries, I never took it that way I just wanted to explain my thought process on a potential reprint to be as clear as possible. :)

OnPoint

My biggest gripe with physical trades is that I'm all the way down in Argentina, where mail tends to get "lost" and tracking it is all but impossible, so I'm really wary about attempting a trade/sell and either part of the deal getting lost or something. Handling particularily expensive cards makes it even worse, since insurance doesn't cover anything once the card exits my country, and customs would probably be all over me since foil Lili going for $250 at SCG means that I'd be shipping a single piece of cardboard worth more than half my country's minimum monthly income...

Dang it I forget that you're down there haha

If things ever change, you know where to PM me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I get that, but why in Innistrad instead of MM3 (i.e. Eternal Masters)? A reprint in this block would make the card Standard legal, which probably wouldn't help the price either.

It would completely plummet the price. It's $100 right now.

Polluted Delta was $120 before Khans of Tarkir came out.

OnPoint

It would completely plummet the price. It's $100 right now.

Polluted Delta was $120 before Khans of Tarkir came out.

Thoughtseize was like $80 or more before Theros.

The only difference here is that both of those are rares, while Lili is a Mythic.

Still, I wholeheartedly agree. She comes down massively with a standard reprint.

Ashodin

Really?

It's a pod people reference. Typically in those types of movies duplicates (evil ones) would emerge fully formed from cornfields or something like that. So "Second harvest" is the second clone of the token, like in a horror film.

"The cornfields promise a good yield" is an eerie subtle reference to "growing" evil clone people

also where the fuck are my dual lands

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Thoughtseize was like $80 or more before Theros.

The only difference here is that both of those are rares, while Lili is a Mythic.

Still, I wholeheartedly agree. She comes down massively with a standard reprint.
Mythic or no, I think it would be a $40 card. SOI is gonna get a lot of opens by being an Innistrad set and Liliana is a pretty known quantity, unlike say, FlipJace.

Yeef

Mythic or no, I think it would be a $40 card. SOI is gonna get a lot of opens by being an Innistrad set and Liliana is a pretty known quantity, unlike say, FlipJace.
Liliana would be in Eldritch Moon not SOI. It's hard to say how much it will be opened.

Two things to consider:
  • It's Sandwiched in between Eternal Masters and Conspiracy 2; even if people like the set a lot, their Magic dollar might be stretched.
  • It's in the slot that the Core set used to occupy; historically one of the worst-selling slots.

In any case; if Liliana of the Veil does end up being reprinted, a Standard-legal set will certainly do a lot more for the price than a Masters reprint.

bigkrev

I'm 2-0 right now in a Rav draft with a horrificly bad deck that has no business winning, and got a 6th pick Ribbons of Night in pack 3.

G.ZZZ

Just realized that we should get another discard enabler for red. Faithless looting last time was amazing, hoping for something of a similar power level.

Inspired by madness 1R
Enchantment
R, discard a card: draw a card.

Maybe a bit too good? I really want an engine card for red that make sense in the color.

EDIT: this is actually just compulsion that can't be sacrificed for a card but cost less to activate to cycle. Should be fine.

Haines

Banned
Todays LR cast was pretty good. I'm glad to see oath done. It was fine but that 3rd bfz pack was never interesting.

The new set looks so much more fun.

Supast4r

Liliana would be in Eldritch Moon not SOI. It's hard to say how much it will be opened.

Two things to consider:
  • It's Sandwiched in between Eternal Masters and Conspiracy 2; even if people like the set a lot, their Magic dollar might be stretched.
  • It's in the slot that the Core set used to occupy; historically one of the worst-selling slots.

In any case; if Liliana of the Veil does end up being reprinted, a Standard-legal set will certainly do a lot more for the price than a Masters reprint.

People will open a shit load of Eldirch Moon if Lotv is in it. People would open the set just for a chance to pull her

Wichu

Managed to cast 6 spells on turn 2 at Standard FNM (putting 8 power on the board). I don't think I'll be able to pull that off ever again.

T1 Forest, Obscuring Aether
T2 Windswept Heath for Forest, Obscuring Aether, Obscuring Aether, morph, morph, morph, morph

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You know its funny...my real life Magic friends are following spoiler season pretty closely and I don't think they've picked up on the fact that its Emrakul yet

Nikodemos

You know its funny...my real life Magic friends are following spoiler season pretty closely and I don't think they've picked up on the fact that its Emrakul yet
They'll be in quite a shock when they realise the real reason why everybody's sprouting tentacles and going insane all of a sudden.

Todays LR cast was pretty good. I'm glad to see oath done. It was fine but that 3rd bfz pack was never interesting.

The new set looks so much more fun.

What that BFZ pack only made the decks come together. It was when you opened bombs for allies at common and uncommon, it was when you opened processors for UB eldrazi it was where you opened the big eldrazi for ramp, where you opened fortified rampart for BW lifedrain, etc.

Random thought, Hellkite Tyrant could be an interesting reprint in this set. Plus, it could be the "clue win condition" some of you guys want.
Image.ashx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom