• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I killed a lot of dudes in draft in demoralizing ways today. Opponent got me to 4 and 10 turns later died to an Akoum Hellkite, a Gravity Negator, a Flying Conduit of Ruin and a topdecked Mountain.

Also hit a dude with Reality Smasher for 2 10 times. He was gaining 3 life every turn off the gain life ally and tapped gain life vampire ally.

Random thought, Hellkite Tyrant could be an interesting reprint in this set. Plus, it could be the "clue win condition" some of you guys want.
Image.ashx

I just have trouble picturing a dragon being all, "I have all the clues you guys looooooooose!"

That's seems more like a dipshit Sphinx thing to do.

What if it was a dragon with 19 clue tokens and a Shard of Broken Glass, though? Holy shit.

Obviously it needs to be 20 gyrocopter tokens.

I mean, I get the flavor behind Hellkite Tyrant having a "dragon horde", I just don't think it works for Innistrad/Clues at all. (Not that I want them to put a Sphinx in Innistrad, either. Keep Jace's furry buddies in Ravnica with the rest of the design clown car, please.)

They pretty clearly need something that actually suits the flavor of the set instead of a reprint that sort of mechanically works. The best part about this set is the flavor.

Firemind

People really don't know how to draft Ravnica lol. I was paired in the second round against someone who played the 4cc llanowar elves. I was drunk off my ass and I still won the draft. Boros Fury Shield is so good because nobody expects it. Honestly, I should not first pick Compulsive Research because blue is kind of bad without Guildpact. The card quality just isn't there.

LSV drafted some sick decks yesterday, pretty much all dimir focused.

One was positively insane. Played 2 galvanic arcs and a copy enchanment, a couple drake familiars and that green dude that regrows enchantments, a bunch of cards that transmute for 3CMC and some filler. Genius.

Gaby drafted a mill deck after opening Glimpse (mill 10 for UB)

Friend of mine gifted me 3 of the 5 swords for my birthday I didn't own yet so now I'm just missing Fire and Ice and I can start on my Kemba EDH deck.

Caught between Kemba, Narset and Tasigur for my next deck. I'd built Narset as Superfriends meaning no extra turns and probably not even extra combat steps. Tasigur would be UG Landfall with a black splash. Narset would be most expensive so probably not that but the cards I'd get for it I'd need to get sometime soon anyway.

Firemind

I drafted Grixis but honestly the mana is horrible. Really need the Guildpact pack. Peel from Reality is so much better with Izzet Chronarchs too. Drake Familiar and Galvanic Arc is a cute combo though. The rares are so bad in this set. :lol

SCG gold standard for mtg coverage is not holding up this time, the commentators are harping on Owen's lucky draws while his opponent has pretty much drawing perfectly both games bar missing a single land drop.

Is there really no coverage of GP Paris? Man, wotc sucks ass at Internet things.

Can't give them european casters any jobs.

Haines

Banned
What that BFZ pack only made the decks come together. It was when you opened bombs for allies at common and uncommon, it was when you opened processors for UB eldrazi it was where you opened the big eldrazi for ramp, where you opened fortified rampart for BW lifedrain, etc.

I mean, sure. It was a pack of cards. Just seemed like it was only allies that could really rely on getting what they wanted. The format changed so much that they didn't mesh well enough to make me excited for that pack.

That tombstone rare looks unplayable in limited. Maybe in green delerium deck if anything?

I'm excited to see how these spoilers finish up. I love going back to a big set again. This will be my 3rd set and it looks to be the best yet.

Graveyard synergies excite me the most because it is something I don't get to play with in hearthstone.

It might be a lil awkward checking each other's graveyard for delerium. Especially if someone just piles them. But I suppose I just need to feel comfortable with the idea of asking to see someone graveyard

"Is there really no coverage of GP Paris? Man, wotc sucks ass at Internet things.'

Meanwhile kibler is casting to probably 50 thousand people on a hearthstone stream.

I hope if they redo the mtgo client it becomes something they can do on twitch like hearthstone. It would make magic blow up to that crowd for sure.

Santiako

That tombstone rare looks unplayable in limited. Maybe in green delerium deck if anything?

Mana rocks are usually great in limited, i dont think this one will be an exception. Also, it's Delirium, you've been writing delerium for weeks and it's been driving me crazy lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I drafted Grixis but honestly the mana is horrible. Really need the Guildpact pack. Peel from Reality is so much better with Izzet Chronarchs too. Drake Familiar and Galvanic Arc is a cute combo though. The rares are so bad in this set. :lol
I drafted Dark Confidant and played it and promptly died to it. I am smart.

Haines

Banned
Mana rocks are usually great in limited, i dont think this one will be an exception. Also, it's Delirium, you've been writing delerium for weeks and it's been driving me crazy lol

Yeah. Sorry about that.

You are probably right. It's probably better than I'm giving it credit for and the fact that it's a rare I can get in draft after the last set just makes me want to not like it.

It needs a card in graveyard to make mana. It also can only replicate cards color so if you are red blue and only have a red card in graveyard you don't get fixing for that blue.

If you do have both colors than it could allow you to ramp into a double pip you are missing which would feel good great.

I do think they are going to essentially give free self mill attached to common creatures which will end up the high picks, so I could see this being active by turn 3 even (comes into play tqpped on turn 2)

This format looks fast so far ( til we see the Commons) so I could see myself holding it in my hand while casting my creatures (not much diff than last set tbh) and playing it and a 2 drop turn 4.

Sealed it's going to make more sense because you get it with the rest of your pack and its slower and you know if it fits your deck. Draft...I wouldn't be surprised to see this passed more than not.

Angry Grimace

Yeah. Sorry about that.

You are probably right. It's probably better than I'm giving it credit for and the fact that it's a rare I can get in draft after the last set just makes me want to not like it.

It needs a card in graveyard to make mana. It also can only replicate cards color so if you are red blue and only have a red card in graveyard you don't get fixing for that blue.

If you do have both colors than it could allow you to ramp into a double pip you are missing which would feel good great.

I do think they are going to essentially give free self mill attached to common creatures which will end up the high picks, so I could see this being active by turn 3 even (comes into play tqpped on turn 2)

This format looks fast so far ( til we see the Commons) so I could see myself holding it in my hand while casting my creatures (not much diff than last set tbh) and playing it and a 2 drop turn 4.

Sealed it's going to make more sense because you get it with the rest of your pack and its slower. Draft...I wouldn't be surprised to see this passed more than not.
2 mana color fixing rocks are good enough they haven't printed them in a while. I think the last one was Sphere of the Suns.

Haines

Banned
I looked up that card. I'd much rather have that card.

Color fixing got me thinking.

I wonder if it will be more risky to splash in this set BC the fixing/land/off color spell could get milled and now you just have a less consistent deck for nothing lol

Santiako

This makes me wish they'd finish the Talisman of X cycle from Mirrodin, even if it's in Conspiracy or Commander if they don't want them in Standard, it just sucks to have the incomplete cycle.

y2dvd

Traded away an Expedition Flooded Strand for a Bayou, and 2 Chandras, 1 from Origins and 1 from Oath. Hopefully, I get good value in the long run.

I wonder if it will be more risky to splash in this set BC the fixing/land/off color spell could get milled and now you just have a less consistent deck for nothing lol

With discard outlets, you could theoretically toss a card of a colour to turn on the colour for the mana rock.

The common mana fixing land is terrible in this set. I don't think splashing is going to be a common thing.

Angry Grimace

So I just bought a new electric guitar and I intended to fund it by selling one of the guitars I already own and a bunch of the half-built Modern decks and duplicate standard cards I have + foils, etc. It turns out all these cards are worth more than the goddamn guitar by themselves.

I probably need to stay off of TCGPlayer. I accumulated all this shit by making like 1 order a month, so it never really seemed like I was spending all this crazy cash, but it adds up. Most of the singles don't really plummet in value, but I can't imagine I'm not losing well over a grand buying random packs of sealed product, or boxes of sets over the last 3 years.

Xis

Yeah, I uh, just opened my third expedition (Verdant Catacombs, added to my Wooded Bastion and Scalding Tarn). Honestly a little nervous handling cards worth this much (I sleeved them right away at least). Not sure what to do with them, I guess trade them for something?

Sorry about the humble brags

Angry Grimace

Yeah, I uh, just opened my third expedition (Verdant Catacombs, added to my Wooded Bastion and Scalding Tarn). Honestly a little nervous handling cards worth this much (I sleeved them right away at least). Not sure what to do with them, I guess trade them for something?

Sorry about the humble brags
You can eBay them but if you don't have a lot of feedback they might be hard to move (IDK how much buyers care these days).

They certainly don't have any play value over just having a Scalding Tarn to begin with.

but i thought legacy was dead

Legacy still dead don't worry. Honestly, if they took Underground Sea et al off the Reserved list it would still be dead. They wouldn't produce them in any kind of quantities that would make a big difference in the price.

Haines

Banned
Who wants to explain how vessel of volatility can be be used in this limited format to the new guy.

The closest card I can think of is from Hearstone called innervate which is 0 mana gain 2 mana this turn.

This card dumb founds me (for limited)

Edit : Village messenger seems to only go in the most aggressive deck known to man

Santiako

Who wants to explain how vessel of volatility can be be used in this limited format to the new guy.

The closest card I can think of is from Hearstone called innervate which is 0 mana gain 2 mana this turn.

The card seems completely unplayable, you'll see it pick 14/15 most of the time I'm assuming.

Joe Molotov

Edit : Village messenger seems to only go in the most aggressive deck known to man

You can get your bombs out 2 turns early. Like...uh...Wolf of Devil's Breach?

Haines

Banned
You can get your bombs out 2 turns early. Like...uh...Wolf of Devil's Breach?

But you have to use a turn up prior to even use the ability.

Is that OK? (I honestly don't know) feels like this where you play the mana rock instead and have extra mana every turn

DrArchon

Get an enchantment into the GY for Delirium? Yeah I don't know. Just pass it to the next guy.

But you have to use a turn up prior to even use the ability.

Is that OK? (I honestly don't know) feels like this where you play the mana rock instead and have extra mana every turn

Your instincts are correct. The card is terrible in at least 99% of decks. Don't worry about trying to figure out what that 1% is or if it exists.

Haines

Banned
OK cool.

New question!

Let's use pick your brain as my example.

Let's say I throw this in my blue black controller delerium deck.

Delerium is enabled. I get to now look through my opponents entire library?

That's how it works right? Feels broken to look at there list and have so much info.

I wonder if will still get the discard 2 in this set or if this is what weare stuck with (worse IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom