• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majesco to bring NY Times Crosswords DS

linsivvi

argon said:
That would be a great idea, but there's no WiFi Connection logo...

Damn!

Smiles and Cries said:
Picross does that where? US or Japan

I have the Japan version. Don't think it's out in other regions yet, right? Jet Impulse also has weekly downloadable planes, so it seems like more and more Nintendo games will have this feature.

mj1108 said:
Awesome box art.

They're going to make a ****-ton of money off this.

Hopefully this title will receive some good marketing (like Brain Age or something).
Also, there better not be some terrible bugs like Go Sudoku on the PSP that ruin the enjoyment of the "game".

Gamecocks625 said:
Hopefully this title will receive some good marketing (like Brain Age or something).
Also, there better not be some terrible bugs like Go Sudoku on the PSP that ruin the enjoyment of the "game".

If they are smart, Majesco will splurge for some nice advertising in the New York Times. :)

thanks

30$ is more than what I had anticipated paying for a game like this. I couldn't really justify 30$ for what I can get for much much cheaper on paper. 20$ and I wouldn't question it's purchase. Ehh, I'll still buy it. I'm a sucker for these things.

magiustra

linsivvi said:
Damn!

I have the Japan version. Don't think it's out in other regions yet, right?

Picross DS will arrive in Europe on the 11/05/2007 :) I have the Japan version, and I downloaded a bunch of extra levels using WFC.

AdmiralViscen said:
How many puzzles do you get for your $30?

Over 1,000 crossword puzzles -- use the Touch Screen & stylus to enter
Play Puzzle Me Quick for a fast word fix
Puzzle Week for extended play with progressive difficulty
Try Challenge Mode, with adjustable time and difficulty settings
Cooperative and competitive 2-player wireless

Eteric Rice

Gamecocks625 said:
Over 1,000 crossword puzzles -- use the Touch Screen & stylus to enter
Play Puzzle Me Quick for a fast word fix
Puzzle Week for extended play with progressive difficulty
Try Challenge Mode, with adjustable time and difficulty settings
Cooperative and competitive 2-player wireless

Wow, that sounds pretty worth it. Lots of stuff there.

Slacker

Boing! Comes out this week, if you can believe the internets. Anyone find a copy yet? I'm curious if it's worth the 30 smackers.

Amazon has it, but I think it ships today and will be in stores at some point this week; maybe tomorrow or thursday? I'm interested to see how this game turned out as it looks like a good one.

CROSSWORD PUZZLE ENTHUSIASTS HAVE A NEW OUTLET AS
MAJESCO ENTERTAINMENT SHIPS ‘THE NEW YORK TIMES CROSSWORDS’
FOR THE NINTENDO DS™

EDISON, N.J., May 22, 2007 – The world’s pre-eminent crossword puzzle brand debuts on the Nintendo DS this month as Majesco Entertainment Company (NASDAQ: COOL), an innovative provider of video games and digital entertainment products for the mass market, today shipped The New York Times Crosswords. Developed by Budcat Creations, The New York Times Crosswords features more than 1,000 genuine puzzles direct from The New York Times archive.

Given the broad and growing demographic of the DS audience, we think The New York Times Crosswords has terrific potential,” said Ken Gold, vice president of Marketing. “Handwriting recognition and system portability make the title a natural fit for the DS, while the 4-player cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes add a new dimension to the social nature of puzzle solving.”

The New York Times Crosswords features more than 1,000 real crossword puzzles and the unique ability to write in answers with the stylus or use a Touch Screen keyboard to enter letters. Various modes of play include Puzzle Me Quick for a fast word fix; Puzzle Week for extended play with progressive difficulty; or Challenge mode with adjustable time and difficulty settings. In addition, the game includes both cooperative and competitive 4-player play so puzzle fanatics can work together or face off in wireless challenges.

Rated T for Teen, The New York Times Crosswords has a suggested retail price of $29.99. More information about the game and Majesco’s exciting line of products can be found online at www.majescoentertainment.com.

tokkun

I guess I'm the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea. I do a lot of New York Times crossword puzzles, and I can't imagine wanting to use the stylus input or the low-res DS screens, even if it meant that I could do puzzles "on the go". Even a pocket-sized crossword puzzle book would be better. And for $30 I could buy 4 books of large-sized Sunday crosswords

I can see where you are coming from, tokkun, but I really want it to do in bed. I think it will be easier unless I get one of those magic astronaut pens that write upside down. Hmm, just rememberd I could maybe use a pencil. Anyway, I print them out and then need to use a clipboard or book to have a firm writing surface.

And this is where I finally realized that technology has done as much damage to our society as good. Spending $150 on electronic device so I can lay down to play crossword puzzles istead of $0.50 and sitting up. I weep for...myself.

Oh well. I can live with it. Can't wait for this game!

tokkun said:
I guess I'm the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea. I do a lot of New York Times crossword puzzles, and I can't imagine wanting to use the stylus input or the low-res DS screens, even if it meant that I could do puzzles "on the go". Even a pocket-sized crossword puzzle book would be better. And for $30 I could buy 4 books of large-sized Sunday crosswords

Have you not played the Brain Training Sudoku?

Inquisitor said:
And this is where I finally realized that technology has done as much damage to our society as good. Spending $150 on electronic device so I can lay down to play crossword puzzles istead of $0.50 and sitting up. I weep for...myself.

It's not 150 dollars if you already own a DS.

colinp

Banned
Inquisitor said:
I can see where you are coming from, tokkun, but I really want it to do in bed. I think it will be easier unless I get one of those magic astronaut pens that write upside down. Hmm, just rememberd I could maybe use a pencil. Anyway, I print them out and then need to use a clipboard or book to have a firm writing surface.

Oh well. I can live with it. Can't wait for this game!

:lol

Your realization was quite funny. Well said Inquisitor.

SickBoy

Gamecocks625 said:
A few screenshots from the developer's website:

http://www.budcat.com/games/NYTCrosswords_ds.htm

Some of those clues look hard. Man, I may have to have a dictionary handy. Off topic: I didn't know these guys made Arena Football for EA.

The New York Times crossword is notoriously difficult (although I see the difficulty increases over the course of the week according to the screens -- something I never knew). During the week, one of the local papers runs a crossword I can complete in 20 minutes a lot of the time... In the TV guide every Sunday, they run the NYT crossword. It's like giving readers Virtua Fighter on easy mode six days a week and then pitting them against the best players in the world.

Link1110

JoshuaJSlone said:
Hmm, anyone know how input is handled? It looks like the touch screen is used to pick out a question from the puzzle, but none of the screens show it zoomed in as much as I'd have expected for friendly handwriting recognition.
I'm guessing you write the letters in the black box on the bottom left/right of the screenshots.

SickBoy said:
The New York Times crossword is notoriously difficult (although I see the difficulty increases over the course of the week according to the screens -- something I never knew).

Yeah. A Monday NYT is easily completable by anyone who does the random crosswords in the local paper; a Wednesday is challenging, and a Saturday is ****nasty hard.

charlequin said:
Yeah. A Monday NYT is easily completable by anyone who does the random crosswords in the local paper; a Wednesday is challenging, and a Saturday is ****nasty hard.

Judging by the screenshots, it looks like there is a HINT function for those of us who are crosswords-challenged.

What they need to have is a crossword game compilation from TV Guide. A selection of puzzles from each decade the magazine is in circulation, really test the knowledge of TV trivia. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Link1110 said:
I'm guessing you write the letters in the black box on the bottom left/right of the screenshots.

I'd say that's a pretty good guess. It even shows the stylus writing in the black box in the cover art.

B000NDFFF4.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ

Flynn

Dr. Zoidberg said:
What they need to have is a crossword game compilation from TV Guide. A selection of puzzles from each decade the magazine is in circulation, really test the knowledge of TV trivia. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Guh. Every question would be ___ Vigoda.

Meier

Yeah, I told my gf about this and we've looked for it the past week or so when we went to the store (I wasnt sure of the exact release date).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gamecocks625 said:
Has anyone seen this in stores yet? It looks like Majesco used media mail to get these things to the stores (joking of course).

According to EB it ships today. I had to switch from Amazon as it always takes so ridiculously long for Amazon to get new releases out so I'll have it tomorrow or Sat. I hope. Funny enough I kind of would like to see a review, at a minimum saying "this game works properly."

Gio_CoD

Banned
AstroLad said:
According to EB it ships today. I had to switch from Amazon as it always takes so ridiculously long for Amazon to get new releases out so I'll have it tomorrow or Sat. I hope. Funny enough I kind of would like to see a review, at a minimum saying "this game works properly."
They keep moving the shipping date up. Originally it was set to ship 5/21. Then Monday came and it said shipping on 5/22. Then Tuesday came and it said shipping 5/23. Then Wednesday came and now it says shipping 5/24. I'm not sure what the hell the deal with this one is.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Haleon said:
They keep moving the shipping date up. Originally it was set to ship 5/21. Then Monday came and it said shipping on 5/22. Then Tuesday came and it said shipping 5/23. Then Wednesday came and now it says shipping 5/24. I'm not sure what the hell the deal with this one is.

FWIW, Amazon wasn't shipping until 5/28 (but they do this sometimes with new releases). I just have a six-hour plane ride on 5/31 that I'm really, really hoping to get this in time for. They're probably just fixing the framerate or something, but can't they see GAF's frothing desire is only increasing?

AstroLad said:
FWIW, Amazon wasn't shipping until 5/28 (but they do this sometimes with new releases). I just have a six-hour plane ride on 5/31 that I'm really, really hoping to get this in time for. They're probably just fixing the framerate or something, but can't they see GAF's frothing desire is only increasing?

It has been creeping up the top sellers list on Amazon so maybe they are gauging how many units to ship? Who knows. They released a statement on Tuesday saying they have shipped the game to retailers, but maybe they didn't expedite the shipment. But yeah, it would be nice to get a review, even if it is just "the game works properly."

Interesting that Amazon wasn't shipping until 5/28. Best Buy says they will have it in stores on the 29th.

Top Bottom