• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majesco to bring NY Times Crosswords DS

Taxman

Gamecocks625 said:
I'm curious. Which store? The clerk was right. This "game" is quality and has killer potential.
It's a Gamestop, I think, inside a mall. They weren't expecting the demand at all. It's sorta funny how suprized they were by the interest in it.

Jirotrom

Gamecocks625 said:
I'm curious. Which store? The clerk was right. This "game" is quality and has killer potential.
1000 friggin newyork times crosswords...how much does it cost for 3 years worth of NY Times issues?

TJ Spyke

I don't like crossword puzzles (never have), but this looks pretty interesting. I would buy a Nintendo themed version (all the clues are about Nintendo and their games).

I think the sales could be pretty good since I can imagine a lot of casual gamers with DS's will enjoy this.

Slacker

Taxman said:
Just got back from the store, where I bought their last copy. The guy said to me something like "This game is selling incredibly well. We ordered four copies and we've been getting like 80,000 calls asking if we have it. They should have reserved it and we would have gotten more." DS's next Phoenix Wright/Trauma Center confirmed.
That reminds me of every single time I visit Gamestop to pick up a new game.

"Do you have a copy of Super Game DS?"

"Did you reserve it?"

"No."

"Ooh, I don't know if I got enough let me check. OMG I do have one extra! Better reserve next time, you may not be so lucky again!"

Repeat with every customer the rest of the day. :)

TJ Spyke

It's probably true with this game though. This is not one of those games you expect to sell a lot of copies, so I wouldn't be surprised if most stores didn't order that many copies. Stores will usually order small amounts of games that they don't expect to sell that many copies.

Jirotrom

TJ Spyke said:
It's probably true with this game though. This is not one of those games you expect to sell a lot of copies, so I wouldn't be surprised if most stores didn't order that many copies. Stores will usually order small amounts of games that they don't expect to sell that many copies.
not a single best buy in the Dallas area got one...lame, but places like Lubbock and Odessa Texas got some.

Is the NYT promoting this at all? I'm sure a small, simple plug at the top of their puzzle section would mean a few thousand instant sales.

Jirotrom

Mariah Carey said:
Is the NYT promoting this at all? I'm sure a small, simple plug at the top of their puzzle section would mean a few thousand instant sales.
I hope they are its easy money for them to do so...they should be receiving some royalties for the game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My favorite DS game since its release. I got Puzzle League but it's gotten about ten minutes of playtime from me since I've really been enjoying this
(time to turn in my HC GAMER card)
. I like Challenge mode the best, as sometimes I'm just in the mood for a Mon.-Tue puzzle to blow through. Also it's quite fun improving on your grades. Gives the puzzle a very frantic feel to it. Also a perfect commute game since you can easily finish the mon-tue puzzles in 10-15.

At first I thought I would use the keypad but I like how you can see more by using the writing (e.g., seeing the whole puzzle) and the character recognition is pretty decent.

Totally love this game. I do, however, have one MAJOR pet peeve. The ACT Imagine CODEC splash that only seems to refer to the immediately following ridiculously awful throwing up cat splash movie, followed up by the really generic crossword intro movie.

It's minor, but it bugs the hell out of me every time I play.

Also, the music has to be the most mind-numbingly boring music ever fashioned.

That said, best DS game ever.

I totally wish Nintendo snapped this up and made it a touch generations game and gave it the polish this awesome game deserves.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StopMakingSense said:
Totally love this game. I do, however, have one MAJOR pet peeve. The ACT Imagine CODEC splash that only seems to apply to that ridiculously awful throwing up cat splash movie, followed up by the really generic crossword intro.

Hate it. I've taken to using sleep mode a lot more because of it.

Classy game, decent presentation, clearly for people 25-x years old and you put an unskippable barfing cat on every boot? What are they auditioning for work on Bubsy HD?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cruceh said:
Game is kinda hard. I haven't completed an entire puzzle by myself without hints yet. :\

The late-week puzzles are murder. This is why I do Challenge Mode not Puzzle Week (which seems to be the "main" mode). I haven't done crosswords on any regular basis in about ten years and need to polish up on Mon-Wed. but I do notice I'm getting much better and faster.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I like this game a lot, but holy shit it's hard. :( I keep getting D-minused. And that's on the monday crosswords only. At least I got a D+ today! :lol
It could of course be because it's centered around American culture, history, organizations, famous people etc that I have no clue whatsoever about, being from Sweden and all.
Could also be because my English isn't exactly up to snuff, but I consider this game to be great training in that regard. :p

Allen

StopMakingSense said:
I totally wish Nintendo snapped this up and made it a touch generations game and gave it the polish this awesome game deserves.

Agreed, some Nintendo sheen could've gone a long way.

One additional fault: does not include Wi-Fi, thus no daily crossword for subscribers.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So glad to hear Majesco's been doing really well with their game sales, focusing on niche markets has really paid off for them.

dock

Kiriku said:
It could of course be because it's centered around American culture, history, organizations, famous people etc that I have no clue whatsoever about, being from Sweden and all.
I'm from the UK and I've avoided picking this up for the same reason. It's good to know people are enjoying it though.

Jirotrom

This game is great and I payed 15 bucks total for this gem and its well worth the 29.99. I love how it grades you at the end great stuff. The writing recognition is really good also.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
dock UK said:
I'm from the UK and I've avoided picking this up for the same reason. It's good to know people are enjoying it though.

I don't think being from the UK would make it prohibitively difficult to do these; maybe if it was the TV Guide crossword, but NY Times crossword is pretty culturally broad. Heck, I've often gotten stumped for a while on British questions. I could definitely see how being from Sweden would make it quite hard, but not the UK imo. You could always try one online (but try a Mon. or Tue. one)- http://www.nytimes.com/ref/crosswords/classicpuz.html

mosaic

go eat paint
I unlocked all 24 Brain Buster puzzles today, thanks to an interesting bug.

After completing the Sunday puzzle, you'll notice the next day is shown as "Brain Buster." Quit out and go to the challenge calendar, you'll see you've unlocked 1 puzzle. Go back into puzzle week and then quit again. You'll unlock another puzzle. Repeat.

Basically, once you finish Sunday in puzzle week, just keep quitting and coming back--eventually you'll unlock all 24 BB puzzles.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is anyone up for a "race" of sorts on a Monday puzzle? (i.e., we pick a puzzle then post our times). Love blasting through those early-week puzzles.

Good tip on the Brainbusters too, mosaic.

Jirotrom

AstroLad said:
Is anyone up for a "race" of sorts on a Monday puzzle? (i.e., we pick a puzzle then post our times). Love blasting through those early-week puzzles.

Good tip on the Brainbusters too, mosaic.
im down...but after this coming friday.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, I think hints, errors, etc. are all fine; like you said, it dings you on the time anyway.

If you guys haven't done it yet, let's do the Challenge Mode-->Year 1--->Monday, July 5 puzzle and the Monday July 12 puzzle (do either or both). Post your times by next Monday, July 9, 9 PM ET in spoiler tags.

Anyone else who wants to join in is more than welcome of course; I think it's better if each person just does their best and then looks at the times, but it really doesn't matter.

Happy puzzling (I'm far from a crossword expert so no worries on skill, this is more to add even more fun to the timed challenge mode). :D

Pro Tip: Make sure the timer is on. :D

I just did the first puzzle and had it turned off. Thought I made good time. Oh well. I'll do the second one later (with timer) and post my time by the due date.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Inquisitor said:
Pro Tip: Make sure the timer is on. :D

I just did the first puzzle and had it turned off. Thought I made good time. Oh well. I'll do the second one later (with timer) and post my time by the due date.

Oh weird, I thought in Challenge mode it always told you your time at the end along with your grade.

seat

I was playing this a few days ago and I have to give kudos to the developers: they did a great job on this game. I had thought that a game as simple as this would be impossible to screw up, but after playing some of the various Sudoku games on the DS, I can say assuredly that yes, it is very possible to screw up a simple game like this. Fortunately the developer did a great job making this interface intuitive.

Boy, do I suck at crosswords though.

July 12 puzzle time:
7:20
. Sure seemed faster to me! No hints or hint penalties. Had one error circled at the end, but I don't know if you take a penalty for that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Inquisitor said:
July 12 puzzle time:
7:20
. Sure seemed faster to me! No hints or hint penalties. Had one error circled at the end, but I don't know if you take a penalty for that.

Oh man, I saw your post on my Blackberry (where spoiler tags don't work) and I am absolutely in for some severe ownage. I mean, I'm pretty lackadaisical about the way I do the puzzles (and the OCR costs me a few minutes as well, but I like being able to see the whole puzzle) and I've never really done crosswords more than a couple of times a year before but even still there is very little chance I can approach that time. As far as the error, they make you go back and fix it right? I think that's the only "penalty" wrt that.

Anyway, here are my July 5 results:

Time: 20:23
Score: B
Hints Used: 0
Hint Penalty: 0
Errors: 0

Jirotrom

AstroLad said:
Oh man, I saw your post on my Blackberry (where spoiler tags don't work) and I am absolutely in for some severe ownage. I mean, I'm pretty lackadaisical about the way I do the puzzles (and the OCR costs me a few minutes as well, but I like being able to see the whole puzzle) and I've never really done crosswords more than a couple of times a year before but even still there is very little chance I can approach that time. As far as the error, they make you go back and fix it right? I think that's the only "penalty" wrt that.

Anyway, here are my July 5 results:

Time: 20:23
Score: B
JEEBUS! I have no chance.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
July 12 Results

Time: 10:05
Score: A+

Note about one of the phrases:
The funny thing was, I'm French, and I probably stared at "TOUTDE_UITE" for a minute before figuring it out. I was getting paranoid as if I had screwed up the other words somehow before realizing the answer was sitting right there.

Also, re the July 5th puzzle:
the "anagram" one was great

If you guys want to do anymore beyond these two let me know, I'm going to do them some time anyway (Mon. and Tues. puzzles FTW!) and it's always fun to have times to compare against (or chase).

Good job on the 12th. I'm up for more, but I am sure as we move later in the week the times will increase exponentially. I'm not so hot with the foreign words they throw in there, but I've done enough puzzles to have a slight grasp of a few common Latin, French, and Spanish words. The one you mentioned, I had no idea.

I was wondering if anyone was going to try it with the OCR. I was using the keyboard and with the puzzle zoomed all the way out.

I'm going to give the later ones a try later and see how I do. Do you happen to know how much of a time penalty the hints cause? Some times it might be worth taking them rather than mulling it over for a few minutes.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Inquisitor said:
I was wondering if anyone was going to try it with the OCR. I was using the keyboard and with the puzzle zoomed all the way out.

I'm going to give the later ones a try later and see how I do. Do you happen to know how much of a time penalty the hints cause? Some times it might be worth taking them rather than mulling it over for a few minutes.

I did the July 5 puzzle with OCR (as I had done every prior one). The great thing is that you can see the entire board at one time, which I find very useful especially with the difficult puzzle. The downside is that it takes quite a bit longer than the tap method, as I discovered. The OCR itself is pretty good, it just takes a while to draw out a letter, and if you scribble like I always do, it won't register. At least on the timed modes, tap is definitely the way to go. Casually, I'd probably rather use the OCR.

I agree that the later in the week puzzles are hard. I think Thurs.-Sat. are often completely and staggeringly ridiculous, but this may be because of my limited experience with crosswords.

I guess for now it makes sense to do July 6 and July 13 (Tue. puzzles) and then go from there if you and Jiro are still up for it. No deadline needed really, just post your stats whenever. Gamecocks, you should join in too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Well, I my DS conked out while I was working on the July 6 puzzle but it had the benefit of making me realize that even the Tues. puzzles probably aren't well-suited for this so if you guys are still doing them, let's just do the next two Monday puzzles. I know I'll be tackling them on the plane this Saturday (and I'll probably kick back and do some Wed. puzzles as well at the leisurely pace that is my current top speed on those, with gloriously huge times and pity grades).

VALIS

Just started playing it for the first time and got an A+ in my second game. Glad to see my Xword skills haven't diminished even though I haven't done them regularly in a few years. :) I'm sure Thursdays-Sundays will still kick my ass as they always have.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
NYT Crosswords, since release, has been by far my most-played DS game. I completely sucked at first, but I've recently managed to pretty consistently get A-pluses on the Monday crosswords. I don't think I'll ever be great at the late-week ones, though--they're insane.

Uh.. Can you save in Challenge Mode? I hit start, selected Save, and the top screen said "Game Saved." But I come back and my whole damn puzzle is cleared. I'm sure I picked the same day. What's the deal?

Top Bottom