• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majesco to bring NY Times Crosswords DS

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
To reiterate, very nice game. The interface is well done, and any Crossword fan should pick it up. It is on the hard side for me since I'm not a native English speaker, but more because of it being very US-centric (what with it being crosswords from the New York Times) - like I would know who the Dakota senator is :)

Definitely looking forward to Nintendo Crosswords and hoping they manage to do a good working interface. The screenshots look promising.

Some NYT clues can be pretty damn confusing, even for an American :p

AdmiralViscen said:
Uh.. Can you save in Challenge Mode? I hit start, selected Save, and the top screen said "Game Saved." But I come back and my whole damn puzzle is cleared. I'm sure I picked the same day. What's the deal?

Do you know what the deal is?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, you can save in Challenge Mode. I just tested it out (I had a puzzle open actually and my DS on sleep mode for around 3 weeks apparently) to make sure because it's worked for me before. Save, quit, and then when you click on challenge it will ask you "Do you want to resume your Saved challenge game?" If you say no, it even asks if you want to overwrite. You can do this in all modes as well, and have one save in each.

Gio_CoD

Banned
Tempy said:
To reiterate, very nice game. The interface is well done, and any Crossword fan should pick it up. It is on the hard side for me since I'm not a native English speaker, but more because of it being very US-centric (what with it being crosswords from the New York Times) - like I would know who the Dakota senator is :)

Definitely looking forward to Nintendo Crosswords and hoping they manage to do a good working interface. The screenshots look promising.
Is it Tom Daschle?

Yea, it works fine for me on the other modes, but I don't get the "wanna load?" screen for Challenge...

edit: OK, it worked this time.... I am 100% that I saved it last time, though. I saved, shut the DS, opened it today, the top screen still said "GAME SAVED," I switched to another puzzle without saving, came back and it was gone.

So I guess make sure you save again if you put your DS in standby? Weird.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AdmiralViscen said:
Yea, it works fine for me on the other modes, but I don't get the "wanna load?" screen for Challenge...

Maybe you had trouble saving; if you don't get the load screen it's not saved. Start up a new one, tap in one letter, save, quit, and then see if that works.

AstroLad said:
Maybe you had trouble saving; if you don't get the load screen it's not saved. Start up a new one, tap in one letter, save, quit, and then see if that works.

Just did that, and it worked.

Then I did it again, and it didn't work :lol

I don't know what the hell the deal is.

edit:
-Two more failed attempts
-Did it again, it worked.
-Reloaded, went to Quit Game to test it again, and it said "would you like to old your save?" as soon as I clicked Quit...
-Worked again

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Tempy said:

Whoa, what?! Seems like I've missed something. :O

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AdmiralViscen said:
Just did that, and it worked.

Then I did it again, and it didn't work :lol

I don't know what the hell the deal is.

edit:
-Two more failed attempts
-Did it again, it worked.
-Reloaded, went to Quit Game to test it again, and it said "would you like to old your save?" as soon as I clicked Quit...
-Worked again

Yikes, sounds like your copy is borked. Sleep mode for the save I suppose.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Kiriku said:
Whoa, what?! Seems like I've missed something. :O

e3-2007-nintendo-crossword-20070711051002969.jpg

e3-2007-nintendo-crossword-20070711051003500.jpg

e3-2007-nintendo-crossword-20070711051004078.jpg

Valtor

Banned
Anyone knows wether I should get this or crosswords DS? the score on websites I visit is pretty much the same, so it's tough to judge...

Valtor said:
Anyone knows wether I should get this or crosswords DS? the score on websites I visit is pretty much the same, so it's tough to judge...

Crosswords DS should hit store shelves today or tomorrow, so there have not been many impressions of it other than the positive review from IGN. I might also add that you hold the DS in the "book style" similar to Brain Age and it uses the Brain Age sudoku engine. It also has anagrams and word searches.

In terms of the challenge of the crosswords, The New York Times Crosswords are probably going to be more difficult. Actually, yes without a doubt they will be more difficult :lol .

Each game has about 1000 puzzles.

I was put off by the difficulty of NYT Crosswords (I don't know the actor's name of the 1950's TV sitcom hit!), and am looking forward to Nintendo's offering.

Davidion

I tried this game and it was ridiculously hard. I could finish a Monday puzzle with no help/reference but the other days puts me at only a 20-50% completion rate.

Time to stop playing video games and start reading again. :lol

Lilsnubby said:
THIS is the smartest thing Majesco has ever done!

You're right. I actually enjoy the interface on this one much more than the one in Crosswords DS. I like simply double tapping on a square to switch from Across to Down as opposed to clicking the "across button" on the bottom of the screen like in Crosswords DS. Also the letters seem to register more quickly in NYT.

Everything is solid besides the intro :lol

dyls

Gamecocks625 said:
It's $10.99 at Costco until the 22nd. It's definitely the best crosswords game on the DS.

Nice. This is a perfect Father's Day gift after getting him a DS and Brain Age for Christmas. I'm only afraid it will be too easy, as he finishes the Sunday NY Times crosswords pretty regularly, which are just disgustingly hard.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
dyls said:
Nice. This is a perfect Father's Day gift after getting him a DS and Brain Age for Christmas. I'm only afraid it will be too easy, as he finishes the Sunday NY Times crosswords pretty regularly, which are just disgustingly hard.

Saturday is the hardest; Sunday is about Wed.-Thurs. level so maybe he will get some challenge out of it. Unless he's already done them all of course.

dyls said:
I find the Saturday puzzles to be much harder than Sunday's. The lack of (many) short or theme answers makes them very hard to get a toehold. On Sunday I can usually do most of the puzzle without hints, whereas Saturday I can barely fill in a thing. I'd say Sunday difficulty falls between Thursday and Friday puzzles. So there's plenty of challenge even for experienced crossworders.

EDIT: Took too long to post, got beaten. I'll add; the title of Sunday's puzzle alone is often a huge clue which others don't have.

By the way, guys, if you enter the code (Up, Up, Down, Down, B, B, Y, Y ) at the menu screen, it will give the a "black & white" mode so the puzzle graphic will resemble that of a newspaper.

Baron

I found this game for $7 on clearance at Target on Monday along with Puzzle Quest for the same price. Hate Puzzle Quest, love NYT Crosswords. This is a great, great puzzle game. It really fits my kind of "hyper" style of crossword puzzle solving much better than the typical solving of a crossword puzzle with paper and pencil, as I can erase and switch lines and jump around much faster and with a great deal more accuracy. Already put 8+ hours into it and looking forward to many more hours with it. My only complaint is that I like playing in the most zoomed-out view, and when there are clues referring to other numbered clues, it's difficult to find them without switching views and looking around for a bit, and it interrupts the flow of play. It's a minor complaint, though.

This is a must-buy for any DS owners out there looking for something a bit different!

Top Bottom