• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAJOR Gran Turismo 5 Rumors (2009 December Release?)

jett said:
I don't really like this SKU crap to be honest...GT5 can't be THAT expensive of a game to require this kind of bullshit. They already made a mint off Prologue, too...
Oh it certainly costs a lot to make. I remember when the creator of GT said himself gave the comparisons for how long it takes to make a car, when compared to GT on PS1, PS2, and PS3. PS3 takes 180X longer than PS1 (basically, takes around 6 months to make one car on PS3). That's why I have a feeling its budget is insane and might struggle a bit to break even.

Regardless, the content sounds pretty good. I hope its all true, because I'd buy it (premium version). :D

Firewire

Banned
You people complaining about 2 sku's and pricing structures are crazy. There are so many die hard GT fan's out there that will eat this up no questions asked.

Day 1 at whatever price for all of it!

gcubed

phez said:
im getting pretty sick and tired of these rumor threads. a new one every other fucking day ... haven't you people learned anything yet?

there is a difference between this rumor and a "friend who knows someone who went to gamestop and talked to an employee who heard from his cousins friends boss that there will be a price drop"

TheFatOne

Firewire said:
You people complaining about 2 sku's and pricing structures are crazy. There are so many die hard GT fan's out there that will eat this up no questions asked.

Day 1 at whatever price for all of it!

It's going to cost me a pretty penny because I'm going to buy a good wheel for this game. So I better start saving now.

Tideas

Banned
BoilersFan23 said:
Oh it certainly costs a lot to make. I remember when the creator of GT said himself gave the comparisons for how long it takes to make a car, when compared to GT on PS1, PS2, and PS3. PS3 takes 180X longer than PS1 (basically, takes around 6 months to make one car on PS3). That's why I have a feeling its budget is insane and might struggle a bit to break even.

Regardless, the content sounds pretty good. I hope its all true, because I'd buy it (premium version). :D

I don't think he literally maent 6 months, I think he might have meant 6 months of total working hours, so like 960 hours. Divide that by say, 12 people per car, and that's 80 per person. If they don't work overtime, that's 2 weeks.

More interested in finding out if there is damage/collision modeling. GT5 is really going to have to be more than just a lot of tracks and cars if they want me to pay for the premium version. I've been spoiled by the insane customization in Forza.

Could be a great year for racing sims if Forza 3 and GT5 get released.

LiK

just get rid of rubberband AI that drives on a set course. with dmg modeling, that will make things worse if the AI ain't fixed.

NameIess

They need to include a decent online lobby system with friend invites and damage or I will pass on this title. Those feature are absolutely required to make the game playable as a "driving simulator" IMO. I don't play GT5 Pro anymore, because of lack of features; the game is great to look at but needs some current features to be competitive.

Firewire

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:
More interested in finding out if there is damage/collision modeling. GT5 is really going to have to be more than just a lot of tracks and cars if they want me to pay for the premium version. I've been spoiled by the insane customization in Forza.

Could be a great year for racing sims if Forza 3 and GT5 get released.

Screw that shit, I play GT to race. ;/

gantz85

Banned
Cheeto said:
Because I hate the idea of publishers developing DLC schemes before the retail game is completed.

There are very real constraints with GT5.

(1) There may be licenses like Ferrari or Porsche that they haven't obtained now but may obtain in the future.

(2) There WILL be cars that are released in the future that aren't available now. As such, they may appear as DLC later.

To me those are perfectly reasonable reasons for DLC schemes. For GT5, the larger upfront cash for a premium SKU helps to pump money into the developer, keeping it healthy.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Cheeto said:
Because I hate the idea of publishers developing DLC schemes before the retail game is completed.

So, you hate most all games?

At least they could be possibly telling you up front. But really, did anyone believe GT5 wouldn't have some DLC? I sure hope not.

Niks

90+ tracks.
*drools

Im a bit suspicious of the track editor..
we all know Kaz level of perfectionism....

cilonen

"Smaller reunion in form already known"....

PSN download for basic version? Upgrade to GT5 from GT5:prologue for a fee through PSN?

Lots of possibilities there!

Cheeto

gantz85 said:
There are very real constraints with GT5.

(1) There may be licenses like Ferrari or Porsche that they haven't obtained now but may obtain in the future.

(2) There WILL be cars that are released in the future that aren't available now. As such, they may appear as DLC later.

To me those are perfectly reasonable reasons for DLC schemes. For GT5, the larger upfront cash for a premium SKU helps to pump money into the developer, keeping it healthy.
Ya, I'll wait and see... Don't even know what it costs yet. I hope it's not ridiculous like > $100... I'll be buying some version of GT5, I know that much. Need a good racer with consumer grade cars to play with a real racing wheel.

Kintaro said:
So, you hate most all games?
Ya, most games nowadays. At least there is still a decent slice of games that don't follow this practice.

_RT_

I know it could never happen, but anytime I'm playing 2-player split screen with a friend, I find myself wishing for a way to isolate my engine noise from theirs. Even as simple as one earbud.

It's tough to race using a standard transmission when we are both at different engine speeds.

Oh well.
Dreamers can dream.

tzare

cilonen said:
"Smaller reunion in form already known"....

PSN download for basic version? Upgrade to GT5 from GT5:prologue for a fee through PSN?

Lots of possibilities there!
that would be great for fans, but those things don't happen very often XD

dankir

Isn't Amar212 that guy who won that crazy Gran Turismo Racing Setup? He won it from winning the Official GT5 tournament or something.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I'm really really disappointed with Polyphony this generation in so many different ways, and these rumors only underscore that. I can't think of a genre in gaming that has progressed as little as Gran Turismo has, and it makes me question whether or not I'll pick this one up since these rumored features mostly seem like playing catch-up. And it pains me to say that because I've been there on day one for every single GT release thus far, but this one? I just don't know

iam220

Wasn't there a rumor going around that it might also get released on PC? THAT would be awesome!

kenta said:
I'm really really disappointed with Polyphony this generation in so many different ways, and these rumors only underscore that. I can't think of a genre in gaming that has progressed as little as Gran Turismo has, and it makes me question whether or not I'll pick this one up since these rumored features mostly seem like playing catch-up. And it pains me to say that because I've been there on day one for every single GT release thus far, but this one? I just don't know

In terms of physics and graphics GT5P is a pretty big step up from GT4. If GT5 includes damage and a proper collision model then it will be a huge leap forward.

kenta said:

Sweet Gran Turismo is a genre of it's own.

BeeDog

kenta said:

You know you'll eat it up just like all of us other suckers.

kenta said:

....it's just a game.

Niks

SolidSnakex said:
I hope it's true for one reason and one reason only, i'll finally be able to play the Grindelwald again. Behold its glory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov4_R5-2dqc

Too true.
Thinking it a bit more thoroughly, a track editor would make sense in following the steps of LBP user created content, where users create and rate tracks.

Dunno what the ratio of great tracks compared to crappy tracks would be though.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Rapping Granny said:
Sweet Gran Turismo is a genre of it's own.
I tried to think of a better way to phrase that but it would have been too long and pedantic so I just left it. I think you understand what I'm trying to say, though

Some other tracks that we know exist

o09rmb.jpg

2py9tuf.png

qrdg5i.jpg

14uj0a9.jpg

34gnfyh.jpg

AndyD

aka andydumi
°°ToMmY°° said:
it depends on the price, but it would be a pretty good idea, if you're a fan you're going to buy the premium version since you already know you're going to buy most if not all the DLCs.

Paying blindly is no fun. Unless they outline exactly the DLC that is coming and dates, I would be hesitant to do this.

If they say we have DLC pack 1 with 5 tracks and 20 cars, DLC pack 2 is a Ferrari pack with Fiorano and a dozen Ferraris classic to concepts, 3 is a classic Rally cars, 4 is a dozen classic GT cars then its one thing.

To say future DLC as a blanket it means nothing, it may be one pack, or just a couple small things.

And no damage rumor?

Firewire said:

Am I the only one that thinks many recent issues in the gaming industry (pricing, value, quality) can be directly attributed to a post like the one I quoted?

So, I should shut up about any pricing complaints I personally may have because Sony will sell a lot of copies and make a lot of money?

EDIT: if I misread you I apologize, but I don't get what else your point might be

LaneDS

I love that on first glance of those pictures I can't tell if I'm looking at a screenshot or an actual photograph.

As for the rumors, well I of course hope they're true. Sony could certainly use GT5 in a big way this holiday season (although I agree, it sounds like March).

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
"Another wind whispers that 20 slightly different versions of the grackl, 20 versions of the pigeon, and 30 versions of the chicken will flock together."

Top Bottom