• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson Yahoo Chat PR Copy/Paste Extravaganza! [decline, deny, dodge, done.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majukun

"No. It does not have to be always connected but it does require an internet connection."

deal breaker for me..thank you for the good console you gave me this gen,but our relationship ends here micrsoft

B.O.O.M

TAP INTO A KINECT, OOOOH YEAAAAHH!!!

It sets off some alarm bells really..did you see that thread by Crazy Buttocks on a Train? He was saying something along the lines of the MS is requiring devs to make use of kinect/smartglass in the games..and not only as 'optional' features

Meanwhile, on Twitter:

GN8xqGi.png

https://twitter.com/SonyElectronics/status/337308104737816576

LOL

Why do I get the impression that the reason MS's policy for Xbone hasn't been set yet is because they are currently in panic mode (and have been since at least the PS4 reveal), trying frantically to nail something down in time for E3?

Superflat

Am I missing something here? For the cloud to do computations and offload blahblabh and do all this advanced AI stuff they're talking about, my console HAS to be connected that entire time, right? So what's with this once a day thing, like If i just want to play games that don't take any advantage of this INFINITE POTENTIAL/POWAH? What do you want me to do MS >:l

Someone answer this for me, who is more in the know:
Microsoft are pushing 'the power of the cloud' heavily, as the primary thing offered by Xbox Live which differentiates it from competitors and gives developers a powerful tool to create software with, or so they say. But doesn't the usage of 'the cloud' to handle computing tasks alongside the hardware require a constant, persistent internet connection in order to function? Does this not contradict what Microsoft (whom admittedly are dancing around the issue) say in that this would not be the case? Are they trying to pull the wool over our eyes, or what?

jmdajr

Honestly, this whole thing feels like the system WAS intended to be always online, and they're having a hard time stepping down from that. Like a requirement to be signed in with your Gamertag or whatever they'll call it on the Bone.

Gut feeling, but damn, it fits. Would explain why they don't have the basic answers people are asking.

Discs are now just delivery mechanisms. They are not meant to be actually played.

jmdajr

I'm starting to think that no BC------------->forcing you to repurchase the same games again as rereleases

It's kind of fucked considering the PC version of these games could be easily ported over.
Maybe not 100% compatible, but what 80%? 70%

Am I wrong?

Ricker

Not bad,glad to see it will support 4K when this becomes more widespread in a few years...I dont always agree with him but has a PR guy and all I think he does a good job...

jmdajr

Not bad,glad to see it will support 4K when this becomes more widespread in a few years...I dont always agree with him but has a PR guy and all I think he does a good job...

Unfortunately a lot of questions won't be answered until you get home and turn the fucking thing on.

"Oh by the way..."

maltrain

Yesterday:
TV TV TV sports sports sports TV TV TV colofduty colofduty TV TV dog TV...

Today:
...look for details on that later this year... look for details on that later this year... look for details on that later this year... look for details on that later this year

ymmv

Banned
Microsoft are pushing 'the power of the cloud' heavily, as the primary thing offered by Xbox Live which differentiates it from competitors and gives developers a powerful tool to create software with, or so they say. But doesn't the usage of 'the cloud' to handle computing tasks alongside the hardware require a constant, persistent internet connection in order to function? Does this not contradict what Microsoft (whom admittedly are dancing around the issue) say in that this would not be the case? Are they trying to pull the wool over our eyes, or what?

The phrase "the power of the cloud" is just techno mumbo jumbo. They could have said the Xbox One is now powered by MAGIC and we would know just as much (or not).

Foffy

Banned
The phrase "the power of the cloud" is just techno mumbo jumbo. They could have said the Xbox One is now powered by MAGIC and we would know just as much (or not).

Kinect was marked with the power of magic for the last few years.

Robso

Depends if it will be able to do it. I'm no expert but this gen 1080p was scarce. CoD Ghosts is running at 60fps and one would assume 720p as they never said 1080p and that would of been a good thing to add to marketing.

Mindwipe

as hilarious as this is.....whats the problem though? He answered the question.... should he reword everytime hes asked?

that being said i bet these arent even real people asking the questions

Given his job is to attempt to humanise the platform and make them look less like a faceless conglomerate, yes?

The end of that thread title can't help but remind me of that mantra Coach O'Hoolihan had in the movie. The five Ds of Dodgeball: dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge!

Mindwipe

Microsoft are pushing 'the power of the cloud' heavily, as the primary thing offered by Xbox Live which differentiates it from competitors and gives developers a powerful tool to create software with, or so they say. But doesn't the usage of 'the cloud' to handle computing tasks alongside the hardware require a constant, persistent internet connection in order to function?

Yes.

Does this not contradict what Microsoft (whom admittedly are dancing around the issue) say in that this would not be the case? Are they trying to pull the wool over our eyes, or what?

It's not mandatory for devs to use it, so they can be cute about it.

All this computing in the cloud business is a pipe dream and MS's way to try to head off criticism once people realize that Xbone really can't compete against the PS4 from the perspective of raw power under the hood. In other words, MS's go-to response once people realize the difference in power at E3 is going to be, "Well, we have access to INFINITE computing power in the cloud."

The problem is the computing power in the cloud claim is garbage, just as Jonathan Blow stated today:

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/337226530197471234
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/337226695146876928

What's going to happen? PS4 games are going to run with better graphics and higher framerates natively while Xbone will attempt to compensate through cloud computing...and will fail.

For a console coming out this year they sure don't know jack shit about it.

I'd have thought not pushing through bullshit measures and possibly being open to change according to fan reaction would be a good thing.

They are clearly shitting bricks, as evidenced by Larry being wheeled out to do this exercise in futility.

Here is an interesting thought,

Ok I can't buy an Xbox one if I don't have an Internet connection

BUT do I now need a TV licence if I have an Xbox one? Since its all about Live TV!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom