• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAJOR rumormongering from Mr. Luke Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

MirageDwarf said:
Releasing demo of Killzone would generate tremendous amount of buzz for Sony. No advertising campaign can beat that publicity.
Releasing a demo of Killzone 2 would put it in direct comparison with the Halo 3 demo.
It can generate a whole lot of buzz for the game that turns out to be superior (in case there is a clear one).
I guess your money is on Killzone 2.
If this rumor is true, time will tell.

In any case, demos are good for gamers.
So this is good news to anyone but the most rabid of fanboys.

bluemax

Banned
Insomniac is going to be on campus Thursday. I will ask them about this!

No I won't. I want them to not think I'm crazy and give me a job.

Meier said:
Do you honestly think the sequel to a game that no one cared about is going to turn the tide in any manner when compared to Halo 3? The general public has no idea what Killzone is or was, let alone has any knowledge of Killzone 2. Even if this looks anywhere near as good as the original CGI, any footage/demos of Halo 3 will completely knock it off any pedestal it's sitting on.

And that's a fact.

Wow. This thread is already going downhill. Competition!?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Does Killzone even belong in the same sentence as Halo 3? I'm asking because I've never played either version, but I remember people being generally underwhelmed by the PS2 version. How is the sequal even going to be in the same Universe as Halo again?

duderon said:
Does Killzone even belong in the same sentence as Halo 3? I'm asking because I've never played either version, but I remember people being generally underwhelmed by the PS2 version. How is the sequal even going to be in the same Universe as Halo again?

its really not very similar to Halo at all. Plays more like Call of Duty 2.

theBishop

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
Quick quick, where are the xbot asshats to come and try and piss all over the positive PS3 news!
Oh wait they already started their crap.

xboxkidrv7.jpg

LJ11

This thread is going to be an interesting read in the morning. Be back in 5 hours.

I agree with Agent IceBreezy's points.

Chichikov said:
Releasing a demo of Killzone 2 would put it in direct comparison with the Halo 3 demo.
It can generate a whole lot of buzz for the game that turns out to be superior (in case there is a clear one).
I guess your money is on Killzone 2.
If this rumor is true, time will tell.

In any case, demos are good for gamers.
So this is good news to anyone but the most rabid of fanboys.

Don't get me wrong it's great that Sony would do this, it's great for anyone who owns a PS3. However if anyone actually thinks that Killzone 2 would take any momentum away from Halo 3 is sadly mistaken.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
duderon said:

It's not even about the game's quality at this time. 99% of the people here want to see just what the game looks like. This is moreso about technological superiority than it is the actual game.

I'm glad this thread remained so civil.

Sony releasing Killzone 2 within a 1 month span of Halo 3 in either direction would be a horrible, horrible mistake. It would be crushed under its own hype.

However, Sony releasing the demo during a slow time in the release schedule would be a very, very good thing, especially if it's fun.

theBishop

Banned
Meier said:
Do you honestly think the sequel to a game that no one cared about is going to turn the tide in any manner when compared to Halo 3? The general public has no idea what Killzone is or was, let alone has any knowledge of Killzone 2. Even if this looks anywhere near as good as the original CGI, any footage/demos of Halo 3 will completely knock it off any pedestal it's sitting on.

And that's a fact.

We've already seen Gears of War come from nothing and hit it out of the park, both critically and commercially.

Reading posts like these, its amazing there's a game industry at all...

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
duderon said:
It has the potential to be a great series. The main issues with the first game were in the mechanics, which can certainly be improved.

But yeah, in this case it's the graphics. Although while those old target renders are still impressive, they're not quite "OMG IMPOSSIBLE" anymore after seeing other next-gen stuff like Gears, Lost Planet, Motorstorm, etc.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Agent Icebeezy said:
It's not even about the game's quality at this time. 99% of the people here want to see just what the game looks like. This is moreso about technological superiority than it is the actual game.

Bingo.

Edit: Its nothing but a tool in this twisted fanboy war game that Sony started themselves with the first trailer.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
theBishop said:
We've already seen Gears of War come from nothing and hit it out of the park, both critically and commercially.

To be fair, GoW had tremendous production values and had a bajillion in marketing. Even more than Lost Planet!! Not saying that KZ2 won't have production values, but they should definitely start looking for an incongruous song that provides visual/audio discordance to be as effective.

Just not some bland semi-metal combined with over-the-top explosions and shit. We need emotion to sell.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
[img.]http://home.comcast.net/~pocketfudge/001bush.bmp[/img]
"Dude! Killzone looks like Pixar movies! I heard it from Yoda34 on a forum. Don't tell! lol!"

While I'm all for making fun of idiots like the one pictured, I think it's particularly bad taste to use that one (that picture). Offensive at best.

theBishop

Banned
PantherLotus said:
To be fair, GoW had tremendous production values and had a bajillion in marketing. Even more than Lost Planet!! Not saying that KZ2 won't have production values, but they should definitely start looking for an incongruous song that provides visual/audio discordance to be as effective.

Just not some bland semi-metal combined with over-the-top explosions and shit. We need emotion to sell.

All i'm saying is that successful franchises start somewhere. Halo 2 didn't sell millions in a vacuum.

theBishop said:

Dude you can't compare Gears to Killzone in that way. The Gears franchise is one game deep so far and has achieved great critical, and commercial success. Whereas the Killzone franchise is 2 games deep. Killzone on the PS2 was no where near as great of a critical and commercial success that Gears of War.

If this was the first Killzone to be released it would be a different story. However it's not, the first one was dubbed "Halo Killer" from all over gaming media, and it didn't live up to the hype then. The PSP version suffered a very similar fate critically and commercially.

Mifune

Mehmber
Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'm glad this thread remained so civil.

Sony releasing Killzone 2 within a 1 month span of Halo 3 in either direction would be a horrible, horrible mistake. It would be crushed under its own hype.

However, Sony releasing the demo during a slow time in the release schedule would be a very, very good thing, especially if it's fun.

Very good post. A demo is a fantastic idea. But I really hope that Sony is aiming for a 2008 release for the finished game. By then the Halo 3 glow will have faded and FPS fans will be ready for something else.

Going toe-to-toe with Halo 3 this year would be sheer madness. Unless Sony knows they have a bonafide monster of a game on their hands, in which case, head is exploding now goodbye thanks.

theBishop

Banned
mysticstylez said:
Dude you can't compare Gears to Killzone in that way. The Gears franchise is one game deep so far and has achieved great critical, and commercial success. Whereas the Killzone franchise is 2 games deep. Killzone on the PS2 was no where near as great of a critical and commercial success that Gears of War.

If this was the first Killzone to be released it would be a different story. However it's not, the first one was dubbed "Halo Killer" from all over gaming media, and it didn't live up to the hype then. The PSP version suffered a very similar fate critically and commercially.

Critically? Sorry kid, but i'm going to have to call bullshit on that one.

JMichael

Banned
PantherLotus said:

KZ2 = 50 million dollar budget

fact

People saying that Killzone 2 isn't a big deal as a game are kidding themselves or have no idea what they are talking about. First one sold over 2 mln copies, and has massive community up until this day.

Also I'm excited more than ever, right after going to work. Ban Luke and 1up from GAF if this isn't true, plzkthx.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
PantherLotus said:
While I'm all for making fun of idiots like the one pictured, I think it's particularly bad taste to use that one (that picture). Offensive at best.

Indeed =/.

JMichael

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
People saying that Killzone 2 isn't a big deal as a game are kidding themselves or have no idea what they are talking about. First one sold over 2 mln copies, and has massive community up until this day.

Also I'm excited more than ever, right after going to work. Ban Luke and 1up from GAF if this isn't true, plzkthx.

Don't you mean 4 million copies? :D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
No...really?

It cant be, can it?

Really?

Wow. That would be incredible. But...I remain cautiously excited. :D

Dirtbag

I don't doubt that Sony has a demo to try and counter Halo3 with...
But I do doubt it is going to be killzone.

I bet its either MGS4 or Final Fantasy.
Expect to see Killzone, but play it.... I have my doubts.

NinSoX

Banned
Now that I remember, ****** from the 'other' forum hinted on this being an incredible 'system seller' game about a month ago. No one took him seriously though since his hints are sometimes a little off.

theBishop said:
Critically? Sorry kid, but i'm going to have to call bullshit on that one.

(as per metacritic.com)

Ok kid, Killzone: Liberation averaged out at a 78, and Killzone on the PS2 averaged a 70. You really can't say either one had breakout critical success like the Halo franchise has.

Mifune said:
Very good post. A demo is a fantastic idea. But I really hope that Sony is aiming for a 2008 release for the finished game. By then the Halo 3 glow will have faded and FPS fans will be ready for something else.

Going toe-to-toe with Halo 3 this year would be sheer madness. Unless Sony knows they have a bonafide monster of a game on their hands, in which case, head is exploding now goodbye thanks.
What?
First off, they are both on different platforms. Secondly KZ2 has GIANT budget, and by giant I mean probably the biggest budget game ever had. Also not to fuel the gamme wars BS, but HALO 3 doesn't look good at all, so if SONY rolls up KZ2 that looks at least as good as GeoW, and starts mass marketing, then you may well get some funny result.

-Rogue5-

Meier said:

And that's a fact.

I think the point he was trying to make was that IF it's as good looking as the trailer was casual gamers will shiteth in their pantaloons. I wouldn't be surprised if many Halo "fans" were just like, "Halo 3 doesn't look as good as whatsitsname on the PS3...and I mean, I'm a graphics whore anyway, so I'll go with whatsitsname."

This is anti-news; there is so much speculation involved that it actually detracts from what would make it "news" worthy. IF there is a demo coming, IF that demo is out before Halo 3 beta, IF it looks as good as Sony promised, and IF the game is good over, then this might have a huge impact on the PS3. That's a lot of IFs.

Edit: and yeah, there's the Gears example.... or any other game that became an overnight success.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
thread disappointment total. I read MAJOR rumormongering and thought we'd get more than one rumor in this thread. At least three rumors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom