• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 Review Thread

Seanspeed

Banned
I didn't explain it to the fullest, sorry about that. Pirates will not disappear out of the area completely, there will still be random patrols and encounters and whatnot. It is just that liberating a checkpoint makes it a fast-travel location and adds a weapon cache where you can buy and upgrade gear, as well as hunting and/or assassination side missions.

Theoretically you can liberate a camp and get assaulted by an enemy patrol 50 yards outside said camp.

Plenty of footage showing being attacked by animals and humans while free roaming, and a ton of bases to take over. Not to mention that new side quests open up at each base you occupy.

Ah cool. Sounds like a good compromise.

Krabboss

i1DSB5oN7u8dH.gif

I did not know there were land birds (cassowary, in this case) that attack you without provocation.

From Gamespot's 1hr30 min Now Playing of Far Cry 3.

I vomited all over myself when Tom McShea said he'd prefer the game to be a third person game and that he played the Fallout games in third person.

Cool video, even if Kevin just kept getting distracted before he ever did anything.

legacyzero

Banned
Details for the map editor were posted directly to the ubi site:

http://far-cry.ubi.com/fc-portal/en-us/community/detail_news.aspx?c=tcm:19-74054&ct=tcm:6-231-32

Far Cry 3 In-Game Editor details
Read our full-fledged update on the in-game map editor that will let you create, share, and download new content.

Today we’re excited to bring you an update on one of the most anticipated features of Far Cry 3. We’ll cover the details of the in-game map editor that will let you create, share, and download new content.

If you’ve played previous Far Cry games, most notably Far Cry 2, you may be familiar with the map editor the franchise is known for. Far Cry 3 brings substantial improvements to the already robust customization tools.

Shaping your World

First: Landscape. The Far Cry 3 Map Editor introduces a brand new way to create your world. Not only will you be able to randomly generate a variety of different terrains, but you’ll also be able to really make the map your own using new features like caves and waterfalls. These elements bring new gameplay opportunities and will allow you to be even more creative in your map designs.

You can also set the time (day or night, sunset, sunrise…) and weather (sunny, rainy…) of you creation.

Create with More

Creating a map is not just about terrain. Go deeper into your design by adding objects that will complement the atmosphere of your creation, and will allow you to create combat hotspots that turn a map into an epic experience.

This time around we have an even wider variety of objects available to fill in your map. You’ll be able to choose from up to 2000 items from a variety of themes: Tribal, World War 2, Mines, Chinese Tombs, and many more.

Of course we kept the “jump in – jump out” testing feature that allows you to test your map on the fly as you create it to adjust your props for that perfect sniper perch or place a building around your capture point to build the perfect arena.

Once you’re done, publish your map for the community to play and rate it. Try, test, modify and improve it in order to reach the gold tier status and see your creation curated and appear alongside official Ubisoft content. This will ultimately give you and the rest of the Far Cry community an infinite source of battlegrounds in which to play.

Add a touch of Insanity

With the Far Cry 3 Map Editor we’re also introducing a brand new Single Player Sandbox mode, in which you’ll be able to populate your creations with a variety of gameplay elements such as Vehicles, Wildlife, and even some AI (animals, pirates, privateers, and game characters). Once these elements are in your map, jump in your custom world and take on the insanity you’ve created.

FAQ

We know you have questions about the map editor, so we compiled a few answers in the FAQ below.

1. When it comes to spawn points, can you assign them to different game modes (have specific spawn points for Domination and separate spawn points for Firestorm)?
Yes, you’ll be able to create single map to accommodate all four game modes (Firestorm, Team Domination, Transmission, Team Deathmatch), making your creation accessible to a wider variety of players.

2. Will there be a tool in the editor for making caves or waterfalls?
Yes. This was a common request from the map making community based on previous Far Cry map editors so we’ve included access to cave and waterfall tools in Far Cry 3.

3. Will water be restricted to one plane as in FC2, or will we be allowed to add water at different heights?
Varying water levels was a very common community request that we’ve implemented in the Far Cry 3 map editor. Using the Water Layers tool, you can now set varying water heights in a 64 meter by 64 meter sector.

4. How many objects are in the editor?
We’ve nearly doubled the amount of objects available with close to 2,000 objects in the Far Cry 3 editor. You can now create maps using a number of thematic items including WW2, Native, Mines, Chinese Tombs, and temples, to name a few.

5. Can we lock our maps from being edited by others?
Yes, this is now the default.

6. I think the MP looks great but I'm a little bit concerned about the map editor, will it be as big as the one in Far Cry 2?
It will be as big, and then some. We built the Far Cry 3 map editor using the FC2 editor as foundation and improved it by leaps and bounds in many areas. There are also lots of surprises in store.

7. Will we be able to set the water’s tone (fog density, color, murkiness, etc.)? It'd be important, as water in a beach map would have a different appearance than that of water deep in the jungle.
In the newly added “Water Layers” tool you can assign different textures to water. Currently, there are 20 different types to choose from. The density of the fog is defined by the engine and the texture you select.

8. Will you be able to "lock" specific weapons in your custom map?
Multiplayer features a loadout system that will be available on user-created maps. In maps created using the new Sandbox mode, you’ll be able to place weapons, vehicles, and other gameplay-related objects wherever you’d like.

9. Can we still control map size, terrain, vegetation, and textures? Are there still options for those besides 'Jungle'?
Map size is fixed at 512x512 meters, which is the same as it was in Far Cry 2. As with Far Cry 2 terrain, vegetation and textures can still be modified, with more assets and extra features we’re sure you’ll appreciate. You can also modify the boundaries of the playable zone, preventing or allowing players access to certain areas of the map.

10. Is there a limitation for maps published per author?
We will have limits for practical reasons, but rest assured we will set those high enough and monitor usage post-launch so that no one should feel unreasonably constrained by them.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
This is SOOO GOOD LOL

"Put your weapon down mother fucker!"

"No YOU put YOUR gun down mother fucker!"

"No YOU!"

Michael Mando as Vaas is the only reason to watch that webseries. The so called "hero" of the flick, hope he and his little band of buddies all get drilled just for being irritating.

So far its looking the the chances of things going that way to be pretty good!

Beaulieu

Michael Mando as Vaas is the only reason to watch that webseries. The so called "hero" of the flick, hope he and his little band of buddies all get drilled just for being irritating.

So far its looking the the chances of things going that way to be pretty good!

every one in his clique is dead already and the last video asks you to comment for the life or death of McLovin lol

is there some mp footage? i'm curious because most reviews say it's not good but i think most reviewers didn't play it all that much
They had a whole studio (Massive) working on it can't be THAT bad can it

ibmf0N3UZTbbzR.jpg

Lead writer (Jeffrey Yohalem) comments on the Far Cry 3 intro set to MIA's Paper Planes

Character starts as 20-something douchey dudebro and then goes through a dark character transformation? Can we expect just a little Spec Ops The Line, ehh :p? That your assumptions of the protagonist and their demeanor will change?

I'm liking we're getting more protagonist development in shooters and writers like Walt Williams putting their stamp on AAA games instead of being brought later on. It has the danger of coming off as "mature and gritty" or "war is hell" if done wrong, but I appreciate the change.

ironcreed

Banned
Are there any other open world games that has water as terrifying as it is looking to be here? Usually, we barely even get fish. Here there is going to be sharks in the ocean and crocodiles in murky rivers that pop up out of nowhere and drag you under for a death roll. Amazing elements that most gorgeous open world games have really been missing.

Derrick01

Banned
Just Cause 2? No screen-tearing and youtube upload.

JC2 is also a fairly "empty" open world game with lots of cut and paste content and not much attention to detail in the urban and military areas. But yeah that game did run good enough on PS3, I played through it when it was free on PS+.

ironcreed

Banned
JC2 is also a fairly "empty" open world game with lots of cut and paste content and not much attention to detail in the urban and military areas. But yeah that game did run good enough on PS3, I played through it when it was free on PS+.

This brings up a great point, which brings me back to actually having danger in water in this game. Can you imagine Just Cause 2 with sharks and the like? Or even secrets to find under water, like there is in this game? It is just littered with unscripted life, danger, places to explore and things to do so unlike what we are normally accustomed to. I have a feeling that it will close out the year being my actual GOTY.

Any word on whether the PC version will have native controller support? Doesn't mention anything about it on the Steam page...

EDIT: Just checked the Ubi forums and supposedly it has controller support. Time to preorder...

If I preorder the deluxe edition of Farcry 3 on Steam I get a free copy of Farcry 1. I only played Farcry on 360, and I know the PC version is way different. Anyone played the PC Farcry recently- do you think it'd hold up?

NBtoaster

All these videos make the game look like it plays so good.

I like the light Assassin's Creed elements incorporated, but it doesn't look anywhere as sterile as those games.

Top Bottom