• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Gaming Podcast of the Year [2012] Results

A big thanks to everyone that voted in the first ever (at least to my recollection) NeoGAF Gaming Podcast of the Year voting. Also a big thanks to Gomu Gomu for creating the G(Podcast)OTY [2012] thread to bring visibility and recognition to the best gaming podcasts out there.

Hopefully this will help answer the question we see every couple months on GAF, asking "what are some good gaming podcasts?". It seems like there is a real lack of good information out there about good podcasts, especially for gaming-specific podcasts. Not only will this help make the community more informed, but hopefully provide some much needed recognition to the people that spend their time to produce this content that many of us derive tons of enjoyment from on a regular basis :)

For those interested you can view ALL the voting results at the following Google Doc. (Scoring: All votes were recorded, but only your top 5 votes were counted towards the overall score for a podcast; 5 pts for 1st, 4 pts for 2nd, 3 pts for 3rd, 2 pts for 4th, 1 pt for 5th)

Quick summary statistics:
- There were 60 different podcasts voted for
- 478 unique votes were cast
- 199 unique NeoGAF members casted votes
- Most 1st place votes for a single podcast was 76
- Most votes for a single podcast was 115

Below are your top picks from the voting of the GAF community.

Top 5 NeoGAF Gaming Podcasts of 2012

1. Giant Bombcast - 521 pts

NeoGAF Thread: Giant Bomb Thread The Third: #TeamBrad
NeoGAF Thread: The Encyclopedia Bombastica Thread - Giant Bomb Does Every Game Ever
*new threads are released for new episodes as they are recorded/released

Receiving a whopping 76 1st place votes, nearly three times more than the next closest podcast, Giant Bomb has solidified its spot atop the GAF 'Casters of Fame. With podcasts racking in at 2.5 to 3.5 hours on the regular, the crew continues to dominate your ears, as well as the GAF boards, with 3(!) separate threads dedicated to the crew/website in regular rotation on GAF. Ryan, Jeff, Vinny, Brad, and Patrick come with off-topic discussion on everything from cheese on apple pie to bad weekend choices with food and alcohol, debates on bats vs. knives, as well as finding time to squeeze in game talk.

Let's just get this out of the way: Giant Bombcast.

Their uninhibited discussion of the current state of games journalism sealed it.

I didn't hear stuff like that on other gaming podcasts.

For me? Giant Bombcast. No contest.

There are no runner ups for me.

Bombcast. Accept no substitutes.

2. 8-4 Play - 299 pts

NeoGAF Thread: none

Great guests, numerous specially-themed shows, and gaming disucssion with a splash of Japanese culture and gaming news has moved; Gaming Jesus, John, Brendan, JJ, and Hiroko of the 8-4some fivesome up near the top of GAF's podcast love list. Topics such as the E3 Hype Train, Industry seeecrets, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, MGS, and many others permeate throughout the podcast on a regular basis (also let’s not forget JJ’s big ass). Having a strong GAF-centric bias helps too :) Now here’s to here’s to hoping they move to a weekly format!

- 8-4 Play: The one and only, best, biggest, awesomest podcast about Japan and Japanese gaming. 8-4 Play were amazing in 2012. From covering TGS events, to the PS Vita launch, to the Nintendo Direct reporting to their mega retrospective of the SNES, and everything in between. 8-4 Play did a great job covering the Japanese side of this industry. Oh, also, JJ.

I really like 8-4 Play as well because they provide and interesting perspective on Japanese games in particular and they have some fairly well reasoned discussions without descending into shouting matches (unless the Gameboy is involved, of course)

8-4 Play's SNES retrospective was probably my favorite podcast related thing this whole year.

3. Idle Thumbs - 260 pts

NeoGAF Thread: Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

The Return of Phaedrus. Always a GAF favorite before the Kickstarter campaign, Idle Thumbs has returned with a more regular schedule to cast those pods into our ears during 2012. With more focused gaming commentary, but still not averse to busting out some silliness from time to time, Remo, Famous, and Video Games still bring their A-game on a weekly basis. Let's hope Video Games and Famous don't get too big after winning GotY at the VGAs, however we all still know that the real pride comes from the GotY.cx voting. Can they vote for their own game?

Idle Thumbs is untouchable. This podcast means the world to me. Chris, Jake, and Nick/Steve/Sean have truly changed the way I think about games and expanded my horizon of games I play.

Idle Thumb's return has been glorious. They're more focused than they were previously, but their discussions are unmatched.

Recently started listening regularly to Idle Thumbs. Great podcast. Smart discussion. No grandstanding or unreasonable opinionating. Not over-long. Good vibe.

4. Player One Podcast - 116 pts

NeoGAF Thread: The Player 1 Podcast Topic

The longest running podcast of the top 5, Player One Podcast has been knocking out podcasts since 2006 . Former gaming press editors Phil Theobald, Greg Sewart, and Chris Johnston -- with newly added 4th chair Mike Phillips --- reminisce about the good old days of EGM, print magazines, obscure nerd-references, missing Greg Ford, Bane voices, all with an under-current of background kid/baby noise. They talk about games sometimes too.

Player One Podcast is pretty much the best one by a mile.

Still the best is player one.

1. Player One Podcast - it's the first gaming podcast I listened to after asking GAF for some podcast recommendations. I feel all the hosts are relatable to, I like the humour and the chit chat. Even the baby stuff :p

5. Weekend Confirmed - 102 pts

NeoGAF Thread: Weekend Confirmed Episode Whimsy| Let’s All Love Loving Things

One of the podcasts on GAF that inspires some of the more heated debates and discussion (going by the official thread). Garnett , Jeff 2Ns1T and crew continue to keep the talk going, building on the legacy started back in the days of 1up Yours with weekly commentary on the newest video game releases and news, football tail-gating discsussion, as well as commentary on the industry at large. Regular guest members such as Jeff Mattas, Andrea Rene, Andrew Yoon, and Christian Spicer round out the (normal) 4-person crew, with occasional visits from members of such studios as Gearbox, Naughty Dog, and Insomniac.

1. Weekend confirmed ( Will follow Garnett whereever he goes)

Weekend Confirmed for quality industry news and game talk

Weekend Confirmed
I Cannata get enough of Jeff.

All podcasts that received votes, and their cumulative score, can be seen below as well as at this Google Doc

Code:
1	Giant Bombcast	521
2	8-4 Play	299
3	Idle Thumbs	260
4	Player One Podcast	116
5	Weekend Confirmed	102
6	Red Sun Gamer	59
7	CAGCast	53
8	Three Moves Ahead	40
9	Radio Free Nintendo	37
10	The Besties	32
11	Cruncheons	24
12	Gamers with Jobs	24
13	Insert Credit	24
14	This is only a Test	20
15	WAHP	14
16	Rebel FM	12
17	Retronauts	12
18	Podcast Beyond	11
19	PlayStation Blogcast	11
20	Laser Time	10
21	GamesRadar UK	10
22	Podtoid	8
23	Epic Battle Cry	8
24	All Gen Gamers	8
25	PC Gamer UK	8
26	Comedy Button	7
27	Major Nelson Radio	7
28	IGN UK	6
29	Game|Life	6
30	The Indoor Kids	5
31	Videogamer.com	5
32	Famicom Dojo	5
33	PSNation	5
34	/alltalk	5
35	Video Games Hot Dog	5
36	Retro Gaming Roundup	5
37	Gamecritics.com	5
38	No More Whoppers	4
39	PC Gamer US	4
40	Vic's Basement	4
41	Gameological 	4
42	Xbox World 360 Strongcast	4
43	Pixeljunk Radio	4
44	This Year	4
45	Watch out for Fireballs!	4
46	Double K.O.	4
47	Active Time Babble	4
48	The Book Club	4
49	Rooster Teeth	4
50	The Fanboys Lunchcast	4
51	Gamespot Gameplay	3
52	Midlife Gamer	3
53	The Squadron of Shame	3
54	Invisible Walls	2
55	One Life Left	2
56	Games Dammit	2
57	Geekbox	2
58	VideoGame Jocks	2
59	NWR: Radio Trivia	1
60	Fangamer	1

Never got a chance to vote but the top two are easy choices for me, maybe reversed. Where's an 8-4 bump when you need one?

E3 HYPE TRAINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Ros8105

Not #1?
coCNt.jpg

zroid

Banned
Between the Bombcast and 8-4 Play, Giant Bomb has established quite a formidable monopoly on gaming podcasts

Riposte

Red Sun Gamer is the most popular of the unpopular podcasts. Neat. It is basically a NeoGAF podcast so I am not surprised it is picking up on popularity.

Guess I can't really complain since I didn't vote, but I'm surprised Just Talking didn't get a single vote. Also surprised Comedy Button got any, the few episodes I listened to were just embarrassing.

Nice to see Player One high up there. Back in high school and early college I listened to a ton of podcasts. These days I don't have the time, and P1 is the only show I still listen to. The cast has great chemistry, mik and Phil consistently crack me up, and I appreciate that for the most part the cast is past the days where gaming is the central focus of their life since that's been the case for me as I've gone through and finished college.

Gomu Gomu

Did not expect 8-4 Play to beat Idlethumbs. Also, it's awesome that P1P is in the top 5, beating Weekend Confirmed and pretty much any big website's podcasts.

Surprised at 8-4 getting to #2, was it from all of the Neogaf namedropping?

It's super fun.

Kevitivity

I enjoy Rebel FM despite Arthur's sophomoric political views. Weekend Confirmed is great too, but it lacks all of the energy 1up yours had. Also, too much hand wringing.

The fact that PlayerOnePodcast wasn't #1 makes me unhappy. They have produced a fantastic podcast for countless years and have never (almost) missed a week. The only way that the podcast could be any better would be if they had a dedicated recording studio with professional equipment paid for by the listening audience.

The fact that the PlayerOne guys promised to pay me to say this shouldn't discount the legitimacy of my statement.

#gimmiegimmiegimmie

Dantis

GamesRadar UK got 10 points! Yaaaaay!!

Also, not a single vote for 4PlayerPodcast, and only 2 points for Invisible Walls. Ouch.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
8-4 Play has been getting worst and worst as time goes on. The original run of episodes around the NES episode were golden, but as guests and themes have waned it's become just another new game round table of the (bi) week. I appreciate that they all have jobs to do, and they do it for free, but as less effort has been put in I find myself wanting to listen much less often.

ShaneB

I will never understand the love for the Bombcast, but it's awesome regardless to see the list having such variety. There's no shortage of great podcasts whatever your tastes are.

elektrixx

Banned
The Bombcast was my #1 pick so I'm happy with the result. The show is consistently excellent every week and unlike other podcasts it really is on every week. Reliable and entertaining. No matter what I'm listening to at the time, it all halts and Giant Bomb takes priority until I've listened.

I don't get the love for 8-4 Play. I tried a couple of episodes but I don't understand how these Japanese games can be so popular. I find their conversations about anything to be generic and boring.

I went a fair while without listening to Weekend Confirmed but I'm glad I've resubscribed in the past few weeks. Garnett has finally toned down his poor quality toilet humour and the music breaks actually have good music in them! Even so I find myself disagreeing with nearly all of Garnett's opinions.

Idle Thumbs has dropped back to a "backup" podcast for me when I've listened to everything else I have. Too much talk about indie stuff I don't care about. As a backup podcast it still competes with my other backup: the entire run of IGN's Three Red Lights podcast. In that battle Three Red Lights takes priority.

wondermega

Started listening to GB some months ago. It's not a bad show but I've not been around long enough to really care about the character's, also all the discussions drag on far faaaar too long. Could be worse picks for#1 however.

8-4 it's a good show, used to be great, for the most part the 2012 shows have been heavily deteriorating for me. I'll still give them the benefit of the doubt, return to former greatness please! No more Dragon quest! Aargh.

Idle thumbs - I've listened to this once.

Player one - best of the group. Even a "bad" P1 trumps a good episode of other shows. Awesome to see these guys (and their hard work and dedication, after numerous years) seeing some appreciation on gaf.

Nod of the head to retronauts, podcast which refuses to die and still always entertains me

Shame about thumbs not being 1, but still a good showing by everyone. I guess i should try Giant Bomb one more time. I hate their ignorance of the pc platform which really turned me off (part of why i like Idle Thumbs) so maybe i'll catch a good episode.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Giantbombcast deserves that number one spot.

I listen to 8-4 play but I am not a huge fan.

Rebel FM and GB are my goto podcasts.

Ledsen

GB in no 1 is expected simply because so many people listen to it, but Idle Thumbs not being 2 is disappointing. I mean, I really like 8-4 as well, but the in-depth, analytical discussion in Thumbs is heads and shoulders above the rest of the pack. Still very happy to see the only four podcasts I follow every week in the 1-4 spots. P1P is my newest addition, and they're really doing a great job. Great chemistry and honest, simple discussion. The Bombcast is what it is, I mostly l go there to "keep up with the Joneses" rather than expecting much in the way of in-depth talk about specific subjects or anything but the latest high-profile critical darlings (although Patrick has done much to bring more niche games to the discussion, problem is he's the only one).

Idle thumbs - I've listened to this once.

You've done yourself a huge disservice. In the pantheon of gaming podcasts with more intellectual conversations about games (not exclusively of course) only the old GFW Radio is on par with the Thumbs. I recommend you go back and start from episode 1, they're all still worth listening to. I've listened to each episode at least twice.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Stopped listening to Giant bomb earlier this year when it felt like it took ages to get to any valuable game discussion. Pretty much solely listen to Weekend Confirmed now, really enjoying it at the moment.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I really like Idle Thumbs, I just feel like Sean V. dominates the discussion a little too often. I just really miss Nick, I guess ;(

john tv

Aww, thanks. :)

Yeah, Project X def. took its toll on us, but the good news is...it's over! We'll have at least one industry guest this week (maybe two...perhaps even three?), and no looming deadline to slow us down, so hopefully it'll be something of a return to form.

We really appreciate all the feedback and love you guys give, but yes, for us the business has to come first so sometimes the show suffers as a result. We'll do our best to keep things fun and interesting going forward tho.

Happy Holidays! :D

Top Bottom