• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major snowstorm about to hit the South (Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

Winter storm watches and warnings have been posted in the South, including Birmingham, Atlanta, Greenville/Spartanburg, Charlotte, and Raleigh-Durham. Winter weather advisories have also been posted for parts of Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle, as well as a swath of the Ohio Valley into the Appalachians and mid-Atlantic.

DCT_SPECIAL23_1280x720.jpg

Timeline

Thursday: Light snow will fall in parts of Kentucky and Tennessee east into the Appalachians from a separate disturbance embedded within Winter Storm Helena.

Thursday night: Light snow spreads into parts of the southern Plains, including Oklahoma, the Texas panhandle, and Arkansas. Light snow continues in the Appalachians.

Friday: Light snow continues in the southern High Plains. A strip of light snow is possible from Texas and Oklahoma to the Tennesee Valley (northern Alabama). Some patchy, light freezing rain or sleet is possible from parts of Mississippi to central Alabama.

Friday night: Snow spreads into north Georgia, upstate South Carolina, North Carolina and southern Virginia. Bands of heavier snow are possible in these areas. Some freezing rain or sleet is possible just to the south of that snow swath from Mississippi to North Carolina.

Saturday: Snow, possibly heavy, from southeast Virginia into northern South Carolina, tapering off in eastern North Carolina and southeast Virginia Saturday night.

We don't get snow storms like this down here very often. Thankfully most of the snow will hit on the weekend, so hopefully we won't have a repeat of past winter storms with cars stranded on the roads for hours and hours.

What are everyone's plans for dealing with this winter weather? I know my kids are super excited for it. Just hope everyone stays safe!

UPDATE: Updated snow totals from the NWS.

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

StormTotalSnowWeb.png

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

Icefire1424

Having lived in Charlotte for 7 years, I can confirm that even the threat of this storm will shut down the city.

Also, in before any "bread and milk" jokes are made.

Slayven

As a life long Georgian I resent ATL being teh focus of everything. Tons of people freaking out in the rest of the state, milk and bread are damn near worth their weight in gold

maxcriden

Cross-posting my dumb question from the ATL thread:

Here's the winter winter storm warning just issued: starts at 1pm in the mountains, 4pm elsewhere tomorrow. @wsbtv
https://twitter.com/BradNitzWSB/status/817093541096779777?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Time to leave work early tomorrow.

Dumb question, but the mountains it starts in will be north of Atlanta only, right? #geofail

-

I guess the map above answers it, though. So coming from gulf shores AL up to Atlanta tomorrow, should be ok, as long as we try to get back to Atlanta by 4 at the latest EST....

Edit: I wonder why the article in the OP says Friday night for north GA and the link quoted above says 1 PM.

Dishwalla

Banned
Ew, 8 ish inches in Norfolk, my Mustang don't like that. Luckily I work tomorrow than not again until Monday night, so hopefully I can miss the worst of it. If I don't need to leave the house I won't, just means I should get some beer tonight I guess.

Culex

Banned
Having lived in CT my entire life, it puts a smile on my face seeing literally all points north and south of the state getting feet of snow, and we get zero.

2 years and counting!

Yep, definitely leaving work early tomorrow. I ain't about that "getting stuck in a snowstorm because I was trying to impress the boss" life.

Glix

Shit cracks me up when these cities shut down for like 2 inches of snow.

(I understand the valid reasons, but still cracks me up)

Stay safe and warm everyone.

I can usually do errands, including groceries, on my lunch break, but people were freaking out and buying a ton of groceries here in Alabama so I had to put my groceries down to get back to work on time.

Overreacting about a little bit of snow is a Southeast tradition!

Although 8+ inches is pretty major, especially for a city like Raleigh which normally gets half of that in a whole year.

Also a southeast tradition is the expectation that the forecast is never right. They can call for a dusting and we'll get a foot, or they can call for a foot and there won't be a cloud in the sky.

When I read "Major snowstorm" I scoffed. But then saw the totals with numbers tipping 12+ inches, and yeah, that's snow cred. Although Atlanta is looking at like 1" ... so... c'mon now.

Stay indoors if you can, grab some beers.

My apologies to everyone who recognizes that this is not a major snowstorm.

Eh, I live in one of the snowiest cities in the US... 12+ inches is major no matter what.

ZOONAMI

The problem is a lot of people have basically bald tires down there, or summer tires, because they generally are fine.

Any amount of snow or ice and it's a shit show, coupled with people having zero experience driving in snow, so they are going to fast, can't stop, then you have a massive multiple car rear end pile up.

Miggytronz

I'm in VB. They're calling for us to get 7-11" of snow! Bring it on!

Glad it's happening on a Saturday for us though.

Also a southeast tradition is the expectation that the forecast is never right. They can call for a dusting and we'll get a foot, or they can call for a foot and there won't be a cloud in the sky.

Yup, after we get a bad one we freak out about it for a while, then assume we don't have to worry about it again until we get a bad one again.

Anyone who might be relatively new to areas like coastal NC better get what you need today, since everything will likely be shut down for a bit.

Icefire1424

For the record, I really do feel bad for those in the path of this thing. I know even a dusting of snow makes life extremely difficult down there, but at the same time, I do chuckle considering I live in Syracuse, NY...

...a tip for my Southern brothers and sisters. Everyone is going to make a run for bread and milk. Don't do that. Do what us Northerners do. Just grab meat and beer, sit back, and enjoy the show.

Not really expecting much but who knows. When I was driving to work this morning in Knoxville the roads had already been treated. Some schools let out early today ffs.

Gonna make a grocery run after work because I need to anyways.

When I read "Major snowstorm" I scoffed. But then saw the totals with numbers tipping 12+ inches, and yeah, that's snow cred. Although Atlanta is looking at like 1" ... so... c'mon now.

Stay indoors if you can, grab some beers.

Eh, I live in one of the snowiest cities in the US... 12+ inches is major no matter what.

2" caused the entire city to be shut down and poor GAFfers to be stuck in Hardee's.

Local forecast is calling for about 4".

Aww yeah, time for Georgia to shut down everything for a couple inches of snow.

What would you like us to do instead?

link1201

Shit cracks me up when these cities shut down for like 2 inches of snow.

(I understand the valid reasons, but still cracks me up)

Stay safe and warm everyone.
I'm originally from Cleveland, OH. I am now living in Little Rock and the difference in the meaning of "a lot of snow" is something that I'm still not used to. 2 inches was nothing in Ohio but here it's the apocalypse. lol

emb

Looking forward to going absolutely nowhere this weekend. Snow in NC is always a nice treat. Hopeful for no injuries... but also hopeful that it'll stay on the ground into Monday, so I can work from home. <.<

Never forget
Lol, how the heck did these cars catch on fire?

Grew up in NC but spent time in Kansas the reason towns shut down is because the people aren't used to it. They didn't grow up in it they don't know how to drive in it or salt sidewalks or put chains on tires etc. it's a huge difference lol. I've seen ppl pour water on iced windows and cause them to break. Now that I'm back in Greenville I look forward to the town being shutdown.

Grew up in NC but spent time in Kansas the reason towns shut down is because the people aren't used to it. They didn't grow up in it they don't know how to drive in it or salt sidewalks or put chains on tires etc. it's a huge difference lol. I've seen ppl pour water on iced windows and cause them to break. Now that I'm back in Greenville I look forward to the town being shutdown.

Do cities in the south pre-salt the roads and have snowplows pave out the snow in early morning or are people left to their own devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom