• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major VIdeogame Voice Actors Union Considers Strike With #PreformanceMatters Campaign

They say they're only asking for these additional bonuses for games that sell more than 2 million leaving the smaller ones untouched seems like a reasonable thing.

I hope this gets resolved quickly.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Maybe this will lead to less voiced dialogue in games, and a return of more written text?

Some games would suffer without them...but I do agree less spoken dialouge in RPGs might end up for the better, such as the return of hidden Party Members. But I'd rather that be a natural choice by the developers, and not forced by a strike.

On that note I'm guessing the FFVII Remake will probably make Vincent and Yuffie obligatory just so the voice acting doesn't go to waste.

Walpurgis

Banned
It's actually ridiculous the VOs have a union, but the people making the games aren't allowed to make one.
So the VOs want bigger pay for a few hours work, while the guys actually making the games will be on the same shitty salary?

I don't understand. Why aren't they allowed to make a union?

Nyoro SF

Developers will move to cheaper amateur voices , we will return to the 3D0 /sega CD/ PC era where voice acting was lame.

That or games will cost $70.00 U.S. to cover new voice cost.

I somewhat welcome the return of dubs so shitty that they occupy a special niche of badness. That's probably the only good thing that could come from this.

Surprising number of shitty opinions here. Voice work is a huge part of the modern games industry and the hard work of these voice actors should be compensated fairly. Publishers are well known for taking advantage of performers. All the power to voice actors.

Honestly, I support them and all... but I really don't care about the VO's in my games.
Unless all you play is retro, mobile or puzzle games I'm going to assume that more than once you've played a good game where voice actors had a hand at making that experience a positive one.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Get Troy Baker on board and you can put on hold the work of 50% of all AAA games

Alternatively, Troy now voices entire games solo.

I hope they can get their voices heard.

grimmiq

Impossible. Games are becoming more and more realistic, and proper acting/facial capture/motion capture is becoming more and more important. This union is standing on pretty solid ground. It's the publishers that are at a disadvantage, imo.

It could also backfire for the voice actors too, wouldn't be surprised to see more TV and B-List movie actors hired for voicework if their increased pay gets into the same bracket. More games like Until Dawn, less Troy/Nolan/Laura in the majority of leads.

It's actually ridiculous the VOs have a union, but the people making the games aren't allowed to make one.
So the VOs want bigger pay for a few hours work, while the guys actually making the games will be on the same shitty salary?

Fuck *insert most music artists here* they barely write their own songs or make their own music. Most of the songs are made and created by producers. So the people singing want money, they barely did any work. They want money while the producer gets the same shitty salary?

Mael

Their argument is a good argument to raise the whole behind the game and not just the VA.
Heck for all I care, games could do away with that and I wouldn't notice.
I'd say grunts in QA are more integral to the success of games but then again I don't much patience for buggy BS while I don't give a crap if someone with the range of Spacey was hired to make the VA.

I'm sure there are plenty of ways studios can treat their employees and contractors better. That first tweet, though...

Okay this is maybe how I should have worded mine. Obviously, I appreciate the work these performers do. But I also don't think Hollywood is the right place to be getting inspiration from.

Logash

Fuck *insert most music artists here* they barely write their own songs or make their own music. Most of the songs are made and created by producers. So the people singing want money, they barely did any work. They want money while the producer gets the same shitty salary?
I don't agree

kirby_fox

Banned
I don't expect transparency to get through, because leaks. But I wish them the best.

I've had an interest into getting into doing VA, and the craft they have is well beyond my own...But if they strike and there's jobs open without representation...

JayEH

After thinking it through some. Yes Voice Acting is a big part of what can make a game special, but it isn't the most important. This isn't like movies where actors are basically the movie. The programmers, artists, designers, etc. are what make games great. Nobody picks a game up because it has a certain actor in it. They pick a game up because of the people who are making the game.

If anything, this will just mean the AAA industry will go to non union actors (which there are plenty of good ones) since once again this isn't like Hollywood where every actor is part of the union. Instead of Troy Baker voicing generic protagonist we'll just get Matthew Mercer doing it. I understand wanting to get paid more fairly but the pubs in this case have the advantage and probably wouldn't suffer much.

goldenpp72

Yeah videogames need to cost a lot more imo. I'd be curious of the statistic regarding the videogame industry gross, how much of those games include actual voice acting?

Can we just get rid of voice acting in games altogether? I kinda feel like the worst thing that ever happened to games is when they started talking. Zelda-style text boxes is more than sufficient.

myca77

Most producers will get points on a song though, and can often come out better than the artists as they don't have to pay back any advancements.

On topic though.

Voice acting can pay pretty well, if you have consistent work. Residual payments would be good for the actors, but I'd like to see residual payments made to any contracted staff if a game does really well.

Some of their other demands are on point though. Asking an elderly actor to scream like he's on fire for a tenth take is a painful experience, mainly for the actor. You kill their voice and they can't do any work.

L Thammy

I have more respect for the Japanese VA industry where it is much more of a widespread craft due to the anime bleed-in. Very rarely am I wowed by a western cast other than perhaps Naughty Dog efforts.

Not the first time I've heard this opinion. Maybe this would improve the situation, though, since there's more incentive to be involved in video game voice acting, and perhaps more incentive to make sure that high-budget games are making the most out of their VA.

Logash

After thinking it through some. Yes Voice Acting is a big part of what can make a game special, but it isn't the most important. This isn't like movies where actors are basically the movie. The programmers, artists, designers, etc. are what make games great. Nobody picks a game up because it has a certain actor in it. They pick a game up because of the people who are making the game.

If anything, this will just mean the AAA industry will go to non union actors (which there are plenty of good ones) since once again this isn't like Hollywood where every actor is part of the union. Instead of Troy Baker voicing generic protagonist we'll just get Matthew Mercer doing it. I understand wanting to get paid more fairly but the pubs in this case have the advantage and probably wouldn't suffer much.

Exactly. I don't mean to disrespect the talent and hard work that goes into the performances but is it really that important?

Reading through their points, this all sounds reasonable.

Honestly, the industry at large needs a nice, big, labor-centric kick in the ass and we all know it.

Squishy3

If they get Nolan North, Troy Baker, and Laura Bailey in they could shut down the whole industry with a strike.
they'd also need to get matthew mercer so that they can't just hire him to be troy baker

this probably more stems from more and more games having physical mocap involving more and more stunts and the example on the page where someone did a wire stunt without a stunt coordinator present led to the actor flying into a wall... yeah, this is probably a good thing

I think that, while I'm sure the studios are probably coasting on the backs of a bad deal from an era when gaming voiceovers weren't anywhere near as important as they are today, and I hope that the situation is rectified in a quick, efficient, and fair way, if this goes for a long enough time, a lot of these actors are going to inadvertently shine a light on the fact there's like 15-20 people who voice like 70-80% of anything notable, and the hyper-insular nature of professional voice-over might end up getting used against them, i.e. "Good. Go on strike. Maybe then people trying to get work who don't know John DiMaggio personally can get some mic time." You can kinda see little hints of that narrative starting to creep into this thread in less than two pages, actually.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Now the programmers need to be unionized, too.

And the artists. Producers. Designers. QA.

Voice actors are but one element of the industry. They can do work in animation, radio and film too, but very few full time game developers can say the same. The fact they already have a union means they are already luckier than most.

Top Bottom