• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tugatrix

I can imagine is possible that the plane went north but I can only imagine that it could have crash on the middle of the Gobi desert, it's vast enough for a plane to crash there and no one notice for all this time.

kaiju

What's interesting to me about this article is the information (or suspiciously lack thereof) on the two Ukrainians. They supposedly worked for Nika-Mebel, an online furniture company that accepts cash only. What were they doing in Malaysia?

The main Nika-Mebel site appears to be a web forgery of some kind, unable to check further because of all the warnings I'm getting from my virus protection.

kaiju

Also, has anyone else heard about the plane's manifesto stating it was carrying 20 contract employees from the Dept. of Defense that specialized in advanced weaponry such as aircraft cloaking technologies, etc?

I think we've hit conspiracy theorist heaven here.

Ensirius

Also, has anyone else heard about the plane's manifesto stating it was carrying 20 contract employees from the Dept. of Defense that specialized in advanced weaponry such as aircraft cloaking technologies, etc?

This is some James Bond craziness right here.

Wouldn't it be way simpler to kidnap them, like, on the way to the airport?

Pandemic

MH370 Report: Underwater Locator Beacon Battery Had Expired
The first comprehensive report into the mystery of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 on Sunday revealed that the battery of an underwater locator beacon had expired more than a year before the plane vanished on March 8, 2014.

The significance of the expired battery on the beacon of the Flight Data Recorder was not immediately apparent, except indicating that searchers would have had lesser chance of locating the aircraft in the Indian Ocean, where it is believed to have crashed, even if they were in its vicinity. However, the report said that the battery on the locator beacon of the cockpit voice recorder was working.

The two instruments are critical in any crash because they record cockpit conversation and flight data, leading up to the end of the flight.

LINK

And that's part of the reason I linked to it. (I don't agree with "madness" though).

He has credentials covering the industry. He's had to kick conspiracy trolls off of his own blog threads. He writes like he's level-headed.

Regardless of his conclusion, it's a good read about trying to find the truth in a flurry of facts, "facts" and single data points.

Also, cable news sucks. Good grief!

Finding the truth is simple. It went down over the ocean and the ocean is fucking massive and we haven't found the plane and probably never will.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Edited
So the old lady from Malaysia might have been right?

Slime

Banned
Before anyone gets their hopes up, it's worth nothing that it could also be from Yemenia Flight 626, which crashed in 2009:

YemeniaMap.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemenia_Flight_626

Daria

Before anyone gets their hopes up, it's worth nothing that it could also be from Yemenia Flight 626, which crashed in 2009:

Reports from Xavier Tytelman, a former military pilot who was the original man the islander contacted and police in Reunion say it looks to have been in the water for about a year.

Telegraph UK said:
"I've been studying hundreds of photos and speaking to colleagues," Mr Tytelman told The Telegraph. "And we all think it is likely that the wing is that of a Boeing 777 – the same plane as MH370.

"Police in Reunion examining the wreckage say that it looks like it's been in the water for around a year, which again would fit with MH370. We can't say for certainty, but we do think there is a chance that this is it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Holy shit, that's... quite far. Woah.

Edit: but if it turns out to be from MH370, they can backtrace the debri route using observations from satellites and etc, right?

I think it's been too long for that type of analysis because it's somewhat unpredictable in the short term, but over a long period its near impossible.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Pretty sure the currents are counter clockwise , so if it is that plane it probably did not crash near australia, rather somewhere closer to India would make sense.

coklat

Neo Member
Someone who works for an international airline confirmed that it's from a 777. There is only one known missing 777.

Well I work for an international airline... doesn't mean I know jack about this debris finding though...

I wonder how similar this flap is on other Boeing aircraft? Could it possibly be from a 737 or other Boeing plane? Or is the Airbus flap design similar as well?

I hope for the families's sake, and for all of aviation, that we find answers to this mystery... if not now, then someday soon.

Arcia

Banned
Someone who works for an international airline confirmed that it's from a 777. There is only one known missing 777.

Well, that makes it sound pretty certain. Hopefully this helps them track down the rest of the wreckage. It would be great for the families to finally get some closure.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Really? Sea currents are quite predictable... I think it would at least help a little.

Sure. What I meant is that unlike the early days where a debris field could help you pinpoint a reasonable search area for the crash, after all this time the area is more or less "the ocean". Debris from the Japanese tsunami is still washing ashore in the US after 4 years.

To my knowledge, every major component on a civilian and military aircraft is under lot and serial control. Boeing should be able to definitely determine if this part originated from MH370.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
To my knowledge, every major component on a civilian and military aircraft is under lot and serial control. Boeing should be able to definitely determine if this part originated from MH370.

Considering the piece is very well preserved, there's 100% chance this will be identified. Wether or not it's from MH370 though is another story.

CDX

YbSnojG.png

*If* this new wreckage found is confirmed and identified as being from MH370. I really hope they can back track the currents to help find where the plane crashed.

KHarvey16

Lot and serial number identification will only be possible if that information is on this particular piece. Even without this though, the age of the 777 and the fact no others (I don't believe) are lost means proving it came from a 777 makes it very, very probably MH370. It might also be possible to match a metallurgical analysis of known lots to narrow it down even more.

Media are saying the American gov confirms it's a 777 wing and so the mh370
Yep, here is the CNN article: http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/29/africa/mh370-debris-investigation/index.html

Boeing's initial assessment of photographs suggests that apparent airplane debris is consistent in appearance with a Boeing 777's flaperon, which is a piece of the plane's wing, a source close to the investigation tells CNN. The source said there is a unique element to the Boeing 777's flaperon that observers believe they are seeing in photos as well, though the source would not disclose what that detail is. The source stressed this is preliminary. The missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 was a Boeing 777. The debris was found Wednesday off the coast of Reunion island, a French department in the western Indian Ocean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom