• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daria

If this gets identified as to be from the missing 777, look back at current data and it will give teams a little better idea of where to search (I hope). You can see just how far away the debris was found compared to its last sighting near Vietnam. 3,800 miles away. There has to be at least some area of ocean they can skim with knowing this information.

Screen-Shot-2015-07-29-at-10.02.04-AM-582x399.png

seanoff

If this gets identified as to be from the missing 777, look back at current data and it will give teams a little better idea of where to search (I hope). You can see just how far away the debris was found compared to its last sighting near Vietnam. 3,800 miles away. There has to be at least some area of ocean they can skim with knowing this information.

Yep, if this is wreckage of 370 it confirms the indian ocean. Yay. A 7000 x 7000 km box with an depth averaging 4000m. So 196 million cubic kms.

They are searching for a small piece of needle in a vast haystack.

Finding it will be as much luck as good management.

Daria

Yep, if this is wreckage of 370 it confirms the indian ocean. Yay. A 7000 x 7000 km box with an depth averaging 4000m. So 196 million cubic kms.

They are searching for a small piece of needle in a vast haystack.

Finding it will be as much luck as good management.

Nobody said it's going to be found within a couple weeks. This is going to take months, maybe years and extensive searching if anybody wants to fund the equipment and man-hours that it'll take to find anything.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think the flaperon's current location is consistent with the plane crashing west of Australia given the current's direction and rate of speed, so we already have a decent idea of where it crashed.

edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/MH370/comm...g_debris_found_in_réunion_island_part/ctkt5k6

What do you base this on? The currents go in the opposite direction. Where they have been found would make more sense if it crashed somewhere where you would expect it to have crashed after it's last ping by the radar, or further in that same direction, no where near Australia.

Currents:

8yRjvdo.jpg

So basically west of Malaysia, somewhere south of India.

Neat little site that shows the currents, link is set to show destination(reunion island)
Click

But if you download the .csv data and look at 1.4 years, it shows an area off the west coast of Australia

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...119804,105.1054435,3z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

How did you come to that conclusion?

andthebeatgoeson

Unless there is a current database, isn't currents based on temperature, wind and fuckall? There's not like a current guy, is there? How could they reasonably predict currents for the entire Indian Ocean over a year plus?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Because it's set to reunion island, then look at the .csv data for where that debris would have been 1.4 years ago, it gives gps coordinates

Go to that link, put the duck west of Australia, and you'll see the currents go south west, never to Madagascar.

Yagharek

What do you base this on? The currents go in the opposite direction. Where they have been found would make more sense if it crashed somewhere where you would expect it to have crashed after it's last ping by the radar, or further in that same direction, no where near Australia.

Currents:

8yRjvdo.jpg

This is waaaaay too low a resolution diagram to backtrack currents from.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This is waaaaay too low a resolution diagram to backtrack currents from.

Yes the other site with the flow map is better, and it shows that for the debris to reach Madagascar it pretty much has to crash in the center of the Indian ocean or north west of the Indian ocean.

When you did that, you did set it to forward in time, right? not back as it was set with my link?

Forward yes. You see where it would drift to 1.4 years later, and it's basically off the coast of Antartica, all the way south, never going close to Madagascar.

Currents:

8yRjvdo.jpg

So basically west of Malaysia, somewhere south of India.

How did you come to that conclusion?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Ocean_Gyre + adrift.org

Unless there is a current database, isn't currents based on temperature, wind and fuckall? There's not like a current guy, is there? How could they reasonably predict currents for the entire Indian Ocean over a year plus?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_current#/media/File:Corrientes-oceanicas.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_current

Chittagong

Gold Member
Crazy.

The sad thing is that since MH370 disappeared we have learned the mechanics of how a suicidal pilot would take over an entire aircraft and crash it, without intervention from the other pilot. Back then it was mindboggling.

So investigators have to try and narrow down a search area in the middle of the Indian Ocean? A seemingly impossible task ahead of them, but hopefully this newly found wreckage gives them some kind of clue.
This makes me wonder if any other debris are floating around or on a remote island somewhere. If debris are breaking off now maybe more will float to the surface.

Why did they paint over his shoe?

Nah, I think it's just light. But wow, if that's the suitcase and ends up being tracked to someone on ML370 that's crazy.

Selner

The most amazing thing is that they washed ashore on a shoreline where they had a chance to be found. There are millions of kilometrers of shoreline on continents and islands where man doesn't set foot in years, if ever.

And that's just going to add to the conspiricy theories. People will say that the wreckage was planted there so someone would find it.

Honestly though, if the wing piece and suitcase prove to be from MF370, that's just amazing. I figured we'd seen the last of that plane.

parmanu

I remember reading reports of some people in Maldives claiming to have seen a large plane flying very low on that day. I don't know why it was not looked seriously by investigators.

Found new article:

Link

KUALA LUMPUR, April 5 — A group of fishermen in the Maldives claim they have achieved something that searchers with their planes, satellites and ships have not been able to do for over a year: A visible sighting of Flight MH370.

According a report by the Weekend Australian, the self-professed eyewitnesses are baffled by investigators’ refusal to acknowledge their claims of spotting a plane with red and blue markings similar to what Malaysia Airlines (MAS) uses.

“I watched this very large plane bank slightly and I saw its colours — the red and blue lines — below the windows, then I heard the loud noise,” Abdu Rasheed Ibrahim, a court official and hobbyist fisherman, told the Australian newspaper.

“It was unusual, very unusual. It was big and it was flying low. It was a holiday (Saturday) and most people had gone to bed after praying.”

According to Abdul, his sighting was corroborated by others in his village, some of whom saw what he did while others heard the plane fly overhead. None knew then what it might have been, only learning later of the disappearance of MH370 once news broke.

Other accounts spoke of different circumstances, but like Abdul’s, the one common theme of the purported eyewitness accounts is the red-and-blue livery of the plane they all claim to have seen.

“I saw the blue and red on a bit of the side. I heard the loud noise of it after it went over. I told the police this too,” student Humaam Dhonmamk told the Weekend Australian.

“I’m very sure of what I saw on a very clear and bright day, and what I saw was not normal — the plane was very big, and low. I did not know until later that other people saw it too. I don’t know if it’s the Malaysian plane,” said Ahmed Shiyaam, a technician at a clinic.

Their claims, however, put the plane that went missing on March 8, 2014 with 239 people on board thousands of kilometres north of where investigators conclude the flight ended, a conclusion that was arrived at using sophisticated calculations based on satellite communications from the Boeing.

Despite the improbability, a source privy to the police investigations in Maldives into the claims insist that the reports are not the work of glory hounds eager for attention.

“They are not dishonest and they have no motive to lie. They all told the police it was big, low and noisy. If it was not the missing plane, then which plane was it? We do not see planes close and low to Kuda­Huvadhoo. Nobody knows what has really happened,” the unnamed official was quoted as saying.

While official, the conclusion that MH370 “ended somewhere in the southern Indian Ocean” is not universally accepted, primarily due to the complete lack of physical evidence from the plane despite months of searching.

Military expert Andre Milne previously called the theory that MH370 was in the Indian Ocean a “criminal act of fabrication of evidence” as the hypothesis was not in any way corroborated.

MH370 was officially declared an aviation accident on January 29 by the Malaysian Department of Civil Aviation, and its missing passengers and crew presumed dead.

An international search has yet to recover any wreckage from Flight MH370 since it vanished without a trace en route to Beijing, China, from Kuala Lumpur on March 8 last year.
- See more at: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/m...laims-of-mh370-sightings#sthash.HnH2rWQI.dpuf

If it indeed was MH370 then that could explain finding debris near Madagascar now.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Why did they paint over his shoe?

Nah, I think it's just light. But wow, if that's the suitcase and ends up being tracked to someone on ML370 that's crazy.

Not really that crazy. There will likely be a whole field of debris washing up so it's possible small things will land over weeks/months once it starts arriving.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I've got this gut feeling that this ... this is MH-370.

How many other planes lost at sea are there? Seems like as soon as that wing was found they should've concluded with "Yeah, that's more than likely the plane."

Slayer-33 said:
So what happens when they find the black boxes?

Open them up, find out what happened. Provided they aren't destroyed by salt water/etc. from being in the elements for a year.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Air France 447 took longer to find in te ocean and the black boxes were still fine

We are not even close to finding the black boxes of MH370 though... With AF447 we knew the approximate location with high certainty, and it still took a good few years.

If this piece of wing ends up being from MH370 it mainly tells us two things

- the flight crashed to the sea
- the flight crashed in the Southern Hemisphere

Both assumptions the searches underway are based on.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This adds to the complexity rather than making things easier, but if confirmed at least there won't be anymore doubt in the relatives' mind.

At least they will have now the currents movements to combine with the ping trace in trying to identify the area of the accident.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I remember reading reports of some people in Maldives claiming to have seen a large plane flying very low on that day. I don't know why it was not looked seriously by investigators.

Found new article:

Link

If it indeed was MH370 then that could explain finding debris near Madagascar now.

I remember that. FFS. So they looked over the places they just thought it could be, but didn't give a fuck about those reports. :|

CDX

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/30/world/mh370-debris-investigation/

Number on Reunion Island debris corresponds to Boeing 777 component

Boeing investigators are confident that debris found on a remote island in the Indian Ocean comes from a 777 aircraft, according to a source close to the investigation.

The source said Boeing investigators feel confident the piece comes from a 777 because of photos that have been analyzed and a number that corresponds to a 777 component.

Despite this confidence, investigators from the United States want to see the debris up close to make a final determination, the source said.

Magni

Found new article:

Link

That plane was confirmed not to be MH370, it was way too far (and flying in the wrong direction) for it to have been it. Instead, it was Maldivian Airlines flight DQA149.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom