• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
I just find it crazy that they completely lost contact and all coverage.

The depth of the water is only 160 feet in the area it was last seen so debris should be very easy to spot, even though it can be spread over a very wide area (unlike that Air France flight from 2009). They're not getting any signals from the Black Box's transponder in the area, either.

A plane doesn't just vanish off of radar over shallow open water without any debris. Unless the radar data was hundreds of km off.

Dude, the ocean is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig place. They'll find debris eventually.

daw840

I just find it crazy that they completely lost contact and all coverage.

The depth of the water is only 160 feet in the area it was last seen so debris should be very easy to spot, even though it can be spread over a very wide area (unlike that Air France flight from 2009). They're not getting any signals from the Black Box's transponder in the area, either.

A plane doesn't just vanish off of radar over shallow open water without any debris. Unless the radar data was hundreds of km off.

There are many.....MANY places in the contiguous USA that you can't see anyone under 8000 feet. Granted, this plane was far above that, but even with our coverage it's a crap shoot once you get out over the ocean.

skybaby

Vüng Tàu is at the red arrow, far from the search location
RCJwNoZ.png

If it's close to the coast, currents may have sent waterproof phones to the shores, making they ring as reported earlier

luoapp

Vüng Tàu is at the red arrow, far from the search location
RCJwNoZ.png

If it's close to the coast, currents may have sent waterproof phones to the shores, making they ring as reported earlier

What's the reason of searching so far west, where the word "Marlacca" is? Is that just because some s&r ships conveniently are at the moment?

Jimrpg

What's the reason of searching so far west, where the word "Marlacca" is? Is that just because some s&r ships conveniently are at the moment?
That's what I was thinking yesterday. It's not even en route back to kl... The area suggests that the plane didn't go down right after they lost contact.

luoapp

That's what I was thinking yesterday. It's not even en route back to kl... The area suggests that the plane didn't go down right after they lost contact.

I guess Vietnam and Cambodia are very certain it didn't fly over their land, hence no active search on the land. Malaysia, on the other hand, not so sure about their radar coverage, thinks there is a slim chance it flew over the country even reaching the strait. For the vast water area to the east, I guess the s&r capability is just very limited so far away from the coast.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
My guess would be currents moving everything quickly.

That distance in a span of just 2 days? No way. Unless there was a typhoon in the area.

I didn't know where that place was. Now it's really weird, if the plane is indeed there, well... I can't see this being anything but a terrorist attack. Let's say the terrorists had access to the cabin and made the pilots turn everything off, every form of contact, etc. Then they were forcing them to go to a specific target... but in a heroic act they decided to simply plunge the plane and kill everyone in the plane, rather than everyone in the plane + possibly hundreds more.

Yeah, I know how difficult to believe this is. It's just a possibility, a guess. I hope it's not the case.

Daria

but it doesn't explain why there is no search in the Gulf of Thailand.

They can only search so many places in X amount of time. Give them time and I'm sure they will. This isn't the first time they've had to do a S&R either, I'm sure they have a good reason on why they're looking where they are.

that makes some sense.
From http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/359411/Strait-of-Malacca

but it doesn't explain why there is no search in the Gulf of Thailand.

Experts are saying that it is likely catastrophic failure (instant breakup) on news. Apparently at 30,000 ft (expected altitude of flight) even if all engines fail, the plane could glide 100 miles.

Maybe they are accounting for that with the extended search area or has that been denied? It would be weird since, in that case, there would have been plenty of time to communicate an emergency.

Blows my mind that after more than 3 days, the technology of 2014, and 10 nations participating in the search, not a fucking HINT of a Boeing 777 full of passengers and their luggage has been found. I mean, there's tons of shit in a plane that would float. Stunning. The only thing I can visualize where this would be normal is if the damn plane dived straight to the bottom of the ocean in 1 piece- which wouldn't even be possible- and even if it was, shit would still have floated to the surface.

How the hell do these planes not have active GPS receivers which log everything until the moment of diaster? I can track my fucking phone anywhere it is in the world.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Is it possible the plane would have actually landed on the water, and then sunk?

I think they need to get subs and divers in there asap. The waters might be shallow and the debris might be stuck under mud or something. But this really is very strange. Usually you need to contact the tower before changing heading or altitude, but it appears this plane traveled far without anyone noticing. This could have put other aircraft in the vicinity at risk, what was the air traffic controller doing?

Pandemic

Blows my mind that after more than 3 days, the technology of 2014, and 10 nations participating in the search, not a fucking HINT of a Boeing 777 full of passengers and their luggage has been found. I mean, there's tons of shit in a plane that would float. Stunning. The only thing I can visualize where this would be normal is if the damn plane dived straight to the bottom of the ocean in 1 piece- which wouldn't even be possible- and even if it was, shit would still have floated to the surface.

How the hell do these planes not have active GPS receivers which log everything until the moment of diaster? I can track my fucking phone anywhere it is in the world.
And to think the water is less than 100m deep is even more confusing. Air France crashed into water that is a few thousand m deep.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That was the basis for one of the Airport movies. '77?

Yeah, '77

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_'77

I don't know how plausible it is in reality though. This is the same series of movies where the pilot of the Concorde opened a side window to shoot out a flare (to distract a missile)

There is pretty much zero change of landing a plane that size on the water intact. I don't know if the 777 has a ditch switch like Airbus does that would prevent it from sinking.

Didn't a pilot land a plane on water in NYC? I guess it was much smaller?

At the same time I presume if it had landed on water, there would have been a lot of signals sent out.

Enron

Banned

That plane was much smaller and the Hudson River is a lot calmer than the open sea.

A 777 pretty much has zero chance of doing anything except shattering into pieces if it attempted to ditch in the water.

mjontrix

I think they need to get subs and divers in there asap. The waters might be shallow and the debris might be stuck under mud or something. But this really is very strange. Usually you need to contact the tower before changing heading or altitude, but it appears this plane traveled far without anyone noticing. This could have put other aircraft in the vicinity at risk, what was the air traffic controller doing?

There are subs but they can't obviously mention them - usually its secret where they are

Pandemic

11th media statement by Malaysia Airlines,
As we enter into Day 4, the aircraft is yet to be found.

The search and rescue teams have expanded the scope beyond the flight path. The focus now is on the West Peninsular of Malaysia at the Straits of Malacca. The authorities are looking at a possibility of an attempt made by MH370 to turn back to Subang. All angles are being looked at. We are not ruling out any possibilities.

The last known position of MH370 before it disappeared off the radar was 065515 North (longitude) and 1033443 East (latitude).

The mission is aided by various countries namely Australia, China, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam, Philippines and the United States of America. The assets deployed to cover the search and rescue is expensive. In total there are nine aircraft and 24 vessels deployed on this mission.

Apart from the search in the sea, search on land in between these areas is also conducted.

The search and rescue teams have analysed debris and oil slick found in the waters. It is confirmed that it does not belong to MH370.

The B777-200 aircraft that operated MH370 underwent maintenance 10 days before this particular flight on 6 March 2014. The next check is due on 19 June 2014. The maintenance was conducted at the KLIA hangar and there were no issues on the health of the aircraft.

The aircraft was delivered to Malaysia Airlines in 2002 and have since recorded 53,465.21 hours with a total of 7525 cycles. All Malaysia Airlines aircraft are equipped with continuous data monitoring system called the Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS) which transmits data automatically. Nevertheless, there were no distress calls and no information was relayed.

Malaysia Airlines has a special task force to take care of families. Mercy Malaysia and Tzu Chi and others are also helping Malaysia Airlines by providing special psychological counseling to families and also the MH crew.

The Chinese government officials in Malaysia are also working closely with Malaysia Airlines. A representative from the embassy is stationed at the Emergency Operations Centre to assist with the emergency management and matters related to families in Kuala Lumpur.

In Beijing, the Prime Minister’s special envoy to China, Tan Sri Ong Ka Ting is there to assist and coordinate all operational matters with Malaysia Airlines.

We regret and empathise with the families and we will do whatever we can to ensure that all basic needs, comfort, psychological support are delivered. We are as anxious as the families to know the status of their loved ones.

To the families of the crew on-board MH370, we share your pain and anxiety. They are of the MAS family and we are deeply affected by this unfortunate incident.

Malaysia Airlines reiterates that it will continue to be transparent in communicating with the general public via the media on all matters affecting MH370.

Singapore sent out a submarine rescue ship (MV Swift Rescue) , which carries a submersible craft, but there is very little it can do ( the submersible) before the plane is found.

pretty sure the black box emits a signal for 30 days or so, I was just thinking these subs can pin point its location.

btw can ACARS be turned off from inside the cockpit? does anyone know?

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think the failure to find any debris at all in the current search locations confirms that the plane did not immediately disintegrate in the location where the signal was lost. Seeing how their search systems can spot an item the size of a football, something would have been spotted by now - a suitcase, a piece of fuselage, a life vest, a human. But - nothing.

This means the plane flew somewhere completely else before it disintegrated. So the scenario is

1 - All comms and tracking systems switched off purposefully / lost due to power failure. Switched off seams the only realistic option as there are many, many fail safes.

2 - Altitude rapidly changed to an altitude below radar coverage purposefully. The options here could be that it's to recover from a drop in cabin pressure or specifically fly under radar.

3 - Plane plunged / disintegrated after several minutes / hours of flight below the radar. This means it could be wherever.

The combination of

- not disintegrating at disappearance point
- no distress or failure signals

is the most interesting thing here now. It's hard to think of a scenario explaining this that is not malicious.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

At the same time I presume if it had landed on water, there would have been a lot of signals sent out.

Was a little bit smaller plane, but still large. The much bigger factor was landing on a calm relatively flat river, as opposed to landing on an ocean, which even when cal is going to have rolling waves.

luoapp

pretty sure the black box emits a signal for 30 days or so, I was just thinking these subs can pin point its location.

It's much easier and efficient to just use ship sonar to pick the signal up. I suspect US navy's airplane like P-3C Orion, can do that from above.

I think the failure to find any debris at all in the current search locations confirms that the plane did not immediately disintegrate in the location where the signal was lost. Seeing how their search systems can spot an item the size of a football, something would have been spotted by now - a suitcase, a piece of fuselage, a life vest, a human. But - nothing.

This means the plane flew somewhere completely else before it disintegrated. So the scenario is

1 - All comms and tracking systems switched off purposefully / lost due to power failure. Switched off seams the only realistic option as there are many, many fail safes.

2 - Altitude rapidly changed to an altitude below radar coverage purposefully. The options here could be that it's to recover from a drop in cabin pressure or specifically fly under radar.

3 - Plane plunged / disintegrated after several minutes / hours of flight below the radar. This means it could be wherever.

The combination of

- not disintegrating at disappearance point
- no distress or failure signals

is the most interesting thing here now. It's hard to think of a scenario explaining this that is not malicious.

Yes, the lack of debris at this point at the probable location rules out an explosion. For example, when Air India 182 exploded @ 35,000 ft they found the bodies and debris floating in the water right away. I think Pan Am 103 was the same, but it exploded over land.

Lack of mayday is puzzling though, even in case of fire in the cockpit, the pilots could have sent a mayday.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Was a little bit smaller plane, but still large. The much bigger factor was landing on a calm relatively flat river, as opposed to landing on an ocean, which even when cal is going to have rolling waves.

But an attempt to do so would probably break the aircraft into fewer pieces though no? Still if the pilots tried to do this, it's doubtful all communications systems would have been off.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yes, the lack of debris at this point at the probable location rules out an explosion. For example, when Air India 182 exploded @ 35,000 ft they found the bodies and debris floating in the water right away. I think Pan Am 103 was the same, but it exploded over land.

Lack of mayday is puzzling though, even in case of fire in the cockpit, the pilots could have sent a mayday.

The interesting tidbit from today to me was that all information of the plane's whereabouts and condition in the area it was flying in would be relayed by the plane's automated systems or the pilots.
In other words, if you switched all that off and changed altitude before heading back to radar coverage area, you would effectively make it seem that the plane 'disappeared' at an entirely different point than where it would crash.

The problem with this line of thought is that it opens up a whole range of questions that require even more contrived answers. Like, who would be sophisticated enough to switch off absolutely all things tracking and communicating? What would be the motive to not just crash the plane, but specifically crash it in somewhere unexpected?

This whole thing is strange. Could terrorists be effective/smart enough to disable broadcasts/tracking and then land the plane at a hidden airfield? Take the people out and make them hostages, refuel the plane and make way to some terrorist target?

So weird.

The interesting tidbit from today to me was that all information of the plane's whereabouts and condition in the area it was flying in would be relayed by the plane's automated systems or the pilots.
In other words, if you switched all that off and changed altitude before heading back to radar coverage area, you would effectively make it seem that the plane 'disappeared' at an entirely different point than where it would crash.

The problem with this line of thought is that it opens up a whole range of questions that require even more contrived answers. Like, who would be sophisticated enough to switch off absolutely all things tracking and communicating? What would be the motive to not just crash the plane, but specifically crash it in somewhere unexpected

that's what I was wondering, can you even turn the ACARS off from inside the cockpit? Lack of ACARS info, lack of mayday and just lack of any communication at all points at malicious intent. Very similar to Silk Air 185 and Egypt Air 990 (although this guy didn't turn off anything, he just nose dived into the ocean)

Chittagong

Gold Member
This whole thing is strange. Could terrorists be effective/smart enough to disable broadcasts/tracking and then land the plane at a hidden airfield? Take the people out and make them hostages, refuel the plane and make way to some terrorist target?

So weird.

Very unlikely they could keep the most wanted plane on earth hidden in any place in the world. Also, why go through the hassle of moving around 200+ passeners and make sure no one of them tweets anything when you could just steal an empty plane.

Nope, at this point it's highly likely that the plane has crashed, but just at an entirely different place than thought.

Forsete

Hmm. Don't they have military radar in the area? Military radar should be able to track it even if it switched off communication.

This is so frustrating. :-(

The problem with this line of thought is that it opens up a whole range of questions that require even more contrived answers. Like, who would be sophisticated enough to switch off absolutely all things tracking and communicating? What would be the motive to not just crash the plane, but specifically crash it in somewhere unexpected?
This post and your previous one is really blowing my mind at the moment!

It seems very likely something malicious is/was at play. Yikes... Something tells me I'm not going to enjoy reading the truth when it comes out.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

So weird.

That would be a bit crazy. Imagine the logistics of that. You can't hide such a runway, and then you'd need to refuel the plane, and do something with the people, etc. Sounds way too complicated.

My guess is they have just been looking at the wrong place. The plane could really be as far as how much fuel it had would have allowed it to go.

BTW Guardian has live coverage, something they rarely do at this hour: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/11/mh370-malaysia-airlines-plane-search-continues-live

CNN reports debris found, not yet identified. Press conference which was cancelled is also back on schedule.

Two CNN reporters have tweeted that the Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department have spotted debris in the South China Sea. There is no confirmation yet on this debris, and CNN have not posted anything yet on their site or on their official news streams. Even if there is confirmation that debris is found, as has occurred previously it will need to undertake testing to determine whether it originated from the plane. Here’s the tweets though while we try to confirm:

My colleague Kate Hodal says that the press conference that was cancelled earlier today has now been rescheduled for 3pm Kuala Lumpur time (in just over two hours). Hopefully we will have a further update from Malaysian authorities at that time.

Falk

that puzzling face
Still in the air?

Let's take it one step even further. Just to cover all bases, "I think" gives him a clause of deniability in the off-chance that both logical conclusions of "crashed into the sea" (possible) or "still in the air" (...) are wrong, you can't say his prediction was incorrect.

This man is a prophetic genius!

Also "fish trap hook bamboo binocular" sounds like something Snake would jury rig together and by God it would work.

Totakeke

Well, we're all talking about finding something in the sea, but looking at the search area, it seems equally likely that the plane actually crashed inland in the Malaysia peninsular. Not sure how more difficult it would be finding a crash inland compared to finding it in the sea.

Question: why would phones of the passengers actually ring? Like if there was a crash, surely a majority would be broken or out of power? They certainly wouldn't work if the plane was in the sea right?

Question: why would phones of the passengers actually ring? Like if there was a crash, surely a majority would be broken or out of power? They certainly wouldn't work if the plane was in the sea right?

I don't know if other places have fallen for similar things, but Otter Box has somehow convinced every American over 50 that they need a few feet of waterproof plastics surrounding their phones. Not that even being intact would help out on the open sea.

Can anyone explain why they are focusing so much on the Strait of Malacca.

According to this image (from BBC)
_73483790_china_malaysia_plane3_624.gif

It seems that they have been putting a lot of effort into that area despite it being quite far from the last contact point while so far ignoring large areas of South China seas and Bay of Thailand which, at least to me, seems much more likely.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Once debris will eventually be found it will be very interesting to see the theory on how the plane ended up there and not where it disappeared.

Also it might be interesting that the plane was serviced 10 days ago. Given the next service was scheduled for the summer, that would indicate a cycle of roughly 6 months. 10days/180days gives 1/18 odds for crash on a random day happening within so soon after service. Not significant but certainly something they will look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom