• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Question: why would phones of the passengers actually ring? Like if there was a crash, surely a majority would be broken or out of power? They certainly wouldn't work if the plane was in the sea right?

Why would they ring at all when they are all supposed to be off (or in flight mode) during flight and probably most were at the time of an "incident"?

Not to mention they would have to be close enough to a cell tower...

Aadil

Banned
guys where is the plane actually now said to have gone missing?
is it off the eastern coast of malaysia as it left? or is it on the eastern coast of vietnam?
ive looked at the trackers and there are two different narratives. kind of confusing.

and where are the searches taking place?

This whole incident got me googling plane crashes and I stumbled upon a site that has the transcript of the last words on the data recorder of many fatal flights. Maybe a bit morbid to read but some of them are just unreal. The final moments and what some say. Just really painful to read. Some having enough warning knowing what's about to happen and saying goodbye to their families. Fuck.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm

Totakeke

I can only assume that those search areas means Malaysia couldn't confirm if the plane went west and passed through their own airspace again. Those search areas doesn't really make sense otherwise.

Can anyone explain why they are focusing so much on the Strait of Malacca.

According to this image (from BBC)
_73483790_china_malaysia_plane3_624.gif

It seems that they have been putting a lot of effort into that area despite it being quite far from the last contact point while so far ignoring large areas of South China seas and Bay of Thailand which, at least to me, seems much more likely.

There's a possibility that the plane has landed or crashed somewhere in that area.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Good writeup - http://theconversation.com/what-could-have-happened-to-flight-mh370-24161

The Conversation said:
Even with both engine generators unserviceable, the B777 has back-up emergency power systems, certainly capable of allowing pilots to transmit a radio call.

So we are left with the conclusion that all radio systems were rendered unserviceable. In addition the B777 is equipped with ACARS (Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System) that would have allowed the crew to send a “text” message back to base.

Aeroplane and base ACARS systems are not usually in constant communication as this increases the costs for satellite communication substantially. So we are left with the probability that all major electronics systems were disabled, to the extent that no communications were possible, and the aeroplane could not continue to fly.

What might cause this? Maybe an explosion and/or fire in the electronics compartment because of electronics failures, but how this might occur is not at all obvious.

the sequence of events would appear to be

1. an event first rendering all comms and electronic equipment unusable
2. then a departure from flight path
3. then the crash in an 'unexpected' location

It's a totally crackpot idea but has it been considered that the flight was hijacked and all electronics/communications disabled?

No its probably crashed somewhere we can't find.

CREMSteve

A lot of brand new tweets saying something's up.

A Cathay Pacific commercial airline has reported seeing a "large" debris field at 09.54.3N 107.25.0E off the coast of Vietnam, only 154 km south-south east of Ho Chi Minh City, CNN reporter and producer in the region said on Twitter.

The field was some 125km SE of the expected flight path of MA370.

FOUND.png

Komo

Banned
It's a totally crackpot idea but has it been considered that the flight was hijacked and all electronics/communications disabled?

No its probably crashed somewhere we can't find.

Not a crackpot theory at all, there are a lot of people who share it, including myself.

Lamel

Banned
This whole incident got me googling plane crashes and I stumbled upon a site that has the transcript of the last words on the data recorder of many fatal flights. Maybe a bit morbid to read but some of them are just unreal. The final moments and what some say. Just really painful to read. Some having enough warning knowing what's about to happen and saying goodbye to their families. Fuck.

I've actually been doing a lot of reading on plane crashes recently too. Tragic and interesting at the same time; all in all, very scary.

Chittagong

Gold Member
That's the same location we were getting reports from last night. I'm still at a loss as to how it ended up so far off course.

complete lack of electronic and radio equipment, that would seem to be within a glideable distance. The interesting question would be that how Vietnam would not have detected a zombie plane whizzing accross their airspace

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
That's the same location we were getting reports from last night. I'm still at a loss as to how it ended up so far off course.

That location is roughly 7 minutes and 17 seconds off course, going by the optimal cruise speed of a 777 (Mach 0.84)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Well, this is disconcerting.

Just read the transcript of the Air France 447 crashed and it was fascinatingly morbid. The two co-pilots had no idea what they were doing at all.

Amzin

Please stop with the mobile ringning stuff. It's a red herring.

This. People calling phones will hear ringing while the cell network searches for the phone, before any contact is established. For international calls the search time is even longer. You can test this yourself if you have two cell phones or yours + a friends. My co-worker called my number once standing next to me to give me his number the lazy way and it rang a good 4-5 times before my phone finally rang once.

Amy, I love you.

Ugh goddamn.

Chittagong

Gold Member
That's what i've been saying in this thread all along..

I guess the hard part there to reconcile is what kind of an 'event' would render all outbound comms dead with no backup systems operational, yet would allow the plane glide and crash far away from the place where the comms killing 'event' occurred.

The 'event' could be anything, too. Catastrophic or malicious.

Goodlife

I guess the hard part there to reconcile is what kind of an 'event' would render all outbound comms dead with no backup systems operational, yet would allow the plane glide and crash far away from the place where the comms killing 'event' occurred.

Yeah, this.

aeroslash

A fire in the avionics compartment. As simple as that. It's all very protected but it's not impossible. It could start with a comm failure, after that the crew noticing the fire and trying to go down somewhere.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
A fire in the avionics compartment. As simple as that. It's all very protected but it's not impossible. It could start with a comm failure, after that the crew noticing the fire and trying to go down somewhere.

This might be the most plausible thing that happened here..

Raist

Banned
We communicate in HF stating the nexts points you'll fly along with the speed and the next time you'll communicate.

Oh, yeah, obviously. By "contact" I meant in terms of the plane being actually visible to radars. I'd assume it had already "vanished" in that sense before the problem occured, given the last known location.

Are you the A3xx pilot? I know there's one on GAF but can't remember the username :p

Fjolle

There are pictures of the two guys with fake passports. They look like Iranian men, and not at all like Balotelli.

Goodlife

So.. if they find the debri's, then what? It is not like the 'black box' floats around in the same spot.

Least the families will have some closure, to a certain degree. I mean it's 99% likely that the plane is crashed somewhere and nobody survived, but I'd imagine if you were a family member you'd be clinging to that 1% and convincing yourself that they are all safe sat in a foreign country etc

Chittagong

Gold Member

That seems plausible. So plane did fly away from the initial comms failure point, descended to an altitude below radar coverage before entering any surrounding country's radar reach, and then possibly flew even a bit further below the radar and ultimately crashed in who knows where.

Least the families will have some closure, to a certain degree. I mean it's 99% likely that the plane is crashed somewhere and nobody survived, but I'd imagine if you were a family member you'd be clinging to that 1% and convincing yourself that they are all safe sat in a foreign country etc

Sounds like there is a good possibility the plane will never be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom