• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like there's precedent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522

It wouldn't explain why they weren't detected on radar though, unless they were and we haven't been told until now (as in the post a few posts up).

So, just to be sure, since the oxygen masks descended, that likely means most of the passengers had them on and were conscious during that entire event? If so, that's like two and a half hours of being awake while cabin pressure is low/warning lights going off/pilots being unconscious. I'm sure that's nothing short of top 5 most horrific ways to die.

Would you want to be on a plane with pilots who are keeping the travel pussy they brought along in the cockpit and posing for selfies while at the controls? I know I wouldn't.
Honestly it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I've been on flights where one of the pilots has walked down the aisles greeting people in a very relaxed manner mid-flight. (Don't they have mandatory break times anyway?) As long as they're all hands-on at the first sign of trouble, don't see anything wrong with it. The plane literally flies itself.

It's unprofessional, but is it dangerous? I don't think so.

SmokeMaxX

So, just to be sure, since the oxygen masks descended, that likely means most of the passengers had them on and were conscious during that entire event? If so, that's like two and a half hours of being awake while cabin pressure is low/warning lights going off/pilots being unconscious. I'm sure that's nothing short of top 5 most horrific ways to die.

I think the article said that the passengers' oxygen masks only sustained consciousness for like 13-15 minutes whereas the flight crew and pilot oxygen masks would have been able to do so indefinitely.

Pandemic

"They were looking at me!!!" Yeah, reliable.

Hahahahahaha, I guess so. But flying a plane with passengers should always have your full attention, and to have attractive girls in the cabin, talking to you, taking pictures with you, is sure to distract from what's important.

aeroslash

I think the article said that the passengers' oxygen masks only sustained consciousness for like 13-15 minutes whereas the flight crew and pilot oxygen masks would have been able to do so indefinitely.

Yes, passengers' oxygen mask only are ment for the descent to a breathable altitude, so they last 15'. Anyway, they would be already hypoxic before the masks went out.

I'm sure hypoxia is not the cause of this accident.

LegoArmo

The time given by Rodzali was an hour and 10 minutes after the plane vanished from air traffic control screens over Igari waypoint, midway between Malaysia and Vietnam.
There was no word on what happened to the plane thereafter.
If the reports from the military are verified, it would mean the plane was able to maintain a cruising altitude and flew for about 500 km (350 miles) with its transponder and other tracking systems apparently switched off.

Huh.

SmokeMaxX

Yes, passengers' oxygen mask only are ment for the descent to a breathable altitude, so they last 15'. Anyway, they would be already hypoxic before the masks went out.

I'm sure hypoxia is not the cause of this accident.
Back to the drawing board for me. If the plane didn't disintegrate or crash near its last known location (prior to the 'new' military radar disclosure) then it looks like this was intentional.

Jimrpg

Something is really fishy. They are now saying the plane flew for more than an hour after it was lost from radar. Isn't this information they would have known on day 1? In that case couldn't they have asked for help earlier?

Either they are hiding something, or they really have no idea at all like the rest of us.

For what it's worth it really looks more and more like a highjacking, flying more than an hour under the radar? Can someone explain if it's possible to turn off all your communication equipment and fly under the radar undetected?

Jimrpg

Totakeke

They already did, otherwise the search areas wouldn't have made sense. They're not disclosing it to the public because this is suspicious and they either know it's malicious, or didn't want to reveal too much not knowing if it is.

This whole incident got me googling plane crashes and I stumbled upon a site that has the transcript of the last words on the data recorder of many fatal flights. Maybe a bit morbid to read but some of them are just unreal. The final moments and what some say. Just really painful to read. Some having enough warning knowing what's about to happen and saying goodbye to their families. Fuck.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm
Heavy

lemmykoopa

Regarding the pictures of the two pilots with the two girls. The pilot who is closing his eyes on the pictures was not the co pilot of mh 370, the guy on the right was. Seems to me like the closing eyes pilot was leading the whole play with the girls and co pilot juist cruising along.

Not significant imo to the whole mh 370 case. Kinda unprofessional behaviour yes but only that.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's incredible that there's still so little evidence. Are we sure the plane wasn't powered by one of these:

Event_Horizon_Gravitational_Core_-_Gimbal_Lock_-_vlcsnap-2010-10-29-09h23m23s233.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
I can't believe it still hasn't been found.

The latest developments are consistent with it being lost. It was a bigger mystery that nothing was found on one of the world's most trafficked waters when we didn't know that the plane had in fact flown possibly for hours to somewhere entirely different.

Now the big mystery is less where the plane will be discovered and more why it went dark and changed course completely and flew for more than an hour:

would a plane capable of flying more than an hour really have no means to communicate anything at all - be it human or automated comms?

This whole incident got me googling plane crashes and I stumbled upon a site that has the transcript of the last words on the data recorder of many fatal flights. Maybe a bit morbid to read but some of them are just unreal. The final moments and what some say. Just really painful to read. Some having enough warning knowing what's about to happen and saying goodbye to their families. Fuck.

Well......shit :( that was hard to read...

I'd be worried about a pilot who always has his eyes closed
At least someone else said it first, that was my exact reaction too :X

So that China Times article on Reddit, has that been confirmed by anyone else, any other news outlets reporting on that info????

Well if Interpol is right then although we can take away that theory, we're still back to square one.

KHarvey16

A lot goes into these investigations that make it frustrating for people who want info. Unfortunately conducting these sorts of things requires the cooperation of big companies and bigger governments, all juggling issue concerning privacy, various legal concerns and, most important of all, the integrity of the investigation.

It's really in no one's best interest to release details until they can be confirmed, which can take quite a while or may not even be wise if it threatens the integrity of an on-going, dynamic investigation. Various pieces of data and other information may be subject to export rules and regulations or any number of other laws that makes getting the right information to the right people an often laborious process. Can military data be shared with a commercial entity and/or foreign government who can best interpret it? What steps need to be taken to allow that? That sounds boring and mundane and unnecessary, but you'd be amazed at how time consuming it can be to just do that coordination even when the picture is clear from the start. Here it's a mess and that can really complicate things.

maybe the airline made a 90 degree turn, and instead headed towards the pacific, where it crashed over the pacific somewhere?

If so, why would they made a 90 degree turn? And why did it take 70 minutes before the plane to actually reappear, on a military sattelite and then being lost forever again?

I actually develop a mild fear of flying thanks to these. Heard a few when I was a kid.

Nothing like hearing that last scream before the recording stops. Oh man.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If so, why would they made a 90 degree turn? And why did it take 70 minutes before the plane to actually reappear, on a military sattelite and then being lost forever again?
This is all conjecture at this point. I wouldn't take this as truth. No one has openly admitted to seeing the plane after it stopped communication.

Phoenix

It's incredible that there's still so little evidence. Are we sure the plane wasn't powered by one of these:

I'm surprised that people are so surprised. When planes crash in the water or ships sink in the water there is usually no evidence for a substantial amount of time - if ever.

Linkhero1

Sounds very odd that the plane was flying for an hour with no communication. I wonder what else they know that they're not letting on.

Munin

I'm surprised that people are so surprised. When planes crash in the water or ships sink in the water there is usually no evidence for a substantial amount of time - if ever.

There is a difference between needing time to find physical evidence for a confirmed crash, and a sudden loss of communication with nobody having any idea what even happened.

Linkhero1

They usually find signs of a crash one way or another. It's odd that they haven't found anything yet or have not disclosed anything with the public yet. The communication cutting off is even more puzzling.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Planes commonly take a long time to find. Usually by now we have had confirmation of a crash with some few pieces of debris or something.
That's how all aviation accidents start.
Commonly there is some sort of admission of a problem. Not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom