• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Dies in Police Custody After Being Jailed for an Unpaid Medical Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellz

Nice going USA.

Utah man’s tragic story highlights the failure of the current healthcare system, the importance of a single payer system, and a disturbing trend.

Rex Iverson died while in jail, but not for any criminal act. His only “crime” was poverty, and the inability to afford a $2,376.92 ambulance bill, let alone his bail.

According to the Elder County sheriff’s office, Iverson died at the age of 45 in a holding cell while police were booking him. An ongoing investigation by the Northern Utah Critical Incident Investigative team is ongoing, but authorities say that foul play is not suspected.

Iverson’s story highlights a disturbing trend–the arrest and imprisonment of poor people who cannot afford legal, medical, student, or other debts. His story parallels the recent arrest of Paul Aker in Texas for a nearly 30-year-old outstanding student loan debt of $1500. Aker was arrested by armed U.S. Marshals, taken to federal court, and forced to sign a payment plan for the loan.

The American Civil Liberties Union says that debtors’ prisons are unconstitutional:

“Ultimately, debtors’ prisons are not only unfair, but they are also illegal. Imprisoning someone because she cannot afford to pay court-imposed fines or fees violates the Fourteenth Amendment promises of due process and equal protection under the law.”

“You always have a percentage of the population who say, ‘Well, I ain’t going to do it,” said Chief Deputy Dale Ward. “We even offer to take payments.”

Tremonton city treasurer Sharri Oyler said that the city made attempts to garnish Iverson’s wages, “but he didn’t have a job, that we knew of.”

“How can you get blood out of a turnip?” Josh Daniels of the Utah-based Libertas Institute told Raw Story. “The thing about going to jail, your time does not pay your debt… A person should be obliged to pay, but putting him in jail doesn’t solve the problem.”

source: http://usuncut.com/class-war/utah-man-dies-in-police-custody-over-unpaid-medical-bill/

Symphonia

Banned
I hope every officer and official involved in this disgusting debacle are named, shamed, and fined accordingly. I say fined because we all know what they did was 'within their line of duty' or some other bull along those lines.

2k ambulance bill wtf? Must have been driving across the continent.

No...it was probably a (relatively) long drive to the hospital. Ambulance bills are no fucking joke. They're easily 10 times more expensive than the actual drugs used to keep you healthy in those things, and I'm speaking from experience.

DiscoJer

This is a thing?? You can go to jail for outstanding debts? The hell.

Like the student loan case, the direct cause is not showing up in court when you get sued over the debt, not the debt itself

http://www.standard.net/Courts/2016...ox-Elder-jail-was-there-for-not-paying-a-debt

On Christmas Eve 2013, the Bear River City man incurred an ambulance bill. Tremonton City won a justice court small claims judgment against Iverson in September 2014 that compelled him to pay the city $2,376.92.

He never paid the bill and ignored repeated court orders to appear, court records show. That led to a county sheriff’s deputy, serving a $350 bench warrant issued by the justice court on Dec. 29, 2015, arresting him on the morning of Saturday, Jan. 23.

Still crappy, but the reason was ignoring the judge which they really hate.

Linkyn

I know, right? Typically it's about $500 or so, unless they used a lot of equipment to keep the patient stable. They can get crazy expensive.

That is still ridiculously high. I had to go to the hospital for respiratory trouble last summer, and the ambulance ride + checkup amounted to less than 100 € (before reimbursement).

daxy

They don't suspect that foul play is involved? I wonder what the result of the investigation will be. Rather odd that someone would die while being incarcerated. There some responsibility to go around for failing to secure this person's well being while he was there.

devilhawk

That doesn't change the root of the problem hun.
You can get a summons for jaywalking or littering. Then get a warrant for not showing up and thus we could get the equivalent headline of:

DROPPED CANDYWRAPPER SENDS TEEN TO JAIL

hun

DiscoJer

That is still ridiculously high. I had to go to the hospital for respiratory trouble last summer, and the ambulance ride + checkup amounted to less than 100 € (before reimbursement).

Thanks to health insurance only reimbursing the hospital/amublance like 5-10% of the actual bill, they jack up the prices.by 10-20x

Of course, if you aren't a health insurance company (or the government), you have to pay the full, inflated price

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Still crappy, but the reason was ignoring the judge which they really hate.

Do they even have proof that this guy knew there was a court case?
I don't know anything about this guy, but I'm picturing trying to serve a summons to a homeless person.

Tesseract

Banned
Half of America will smile when they hear this story.

822.gif

Debtors' prisons used to be quite common in Victorian times. Charles Dickens' father was in one and that event inspired much of his work. Seems odd that the US is now reviving the custom .

Healthcare in US is atrocious. Everything is so expensive. To live here, you better

- not get seriously ill
- if you're really sick, you better have health insurance
- if you want insurance, you better keep you job
- got laid off? Now time to pay arms and legs for those stupid insurance
- don't want to pay insurance? Go to fckin jail since you can't afford medical bills

Not sure why everything has to be expensive. Stay overnight at ER is $1000. Pull a tooth out $500. Giving birth $30,000. I can get those done with 1/10th of the cost without insurance in Asia.

He was not arrested for an unpaid bill. He was found to be in contempt of the court for failing to appear after a summons was issued. Failure to appear in court often times leads to an arrest warrant being issued.

Here is a similar case that outlines the process:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/16/pf/college/arrested-student-loan-marshals/

Not saying this is right or wrong, but just pointing out some facts not included in the original article.

Still dead for being poor. Why do you think he was summoned to court? For unpaid medical bills. Sometimes context is important, in cases like this, it just takes away from the key issue.

TheShocker

Have you read the thread? This has already been posted.

Ok?

And hardly discussed. It was talked about in a handful of posts and the rest were in reaction to the original article. The CNN article outlines the process in which these events happen in a little more detail. I just thought it would be beneficial for anyone reading this thread and wondering how the process works.

Tesseract

Banned
think about how lowly, how meek an existence this saps life must've been.

we need like, a great larry david moral detective agency.

How much is the court costs for showing up to court though? Do you go to jail if you can't pay it on the spot or is it a separate bill?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
And this is what the Tories want to do to us in the UK.

fuck that , I don't want that, save the NHS.

shit if the Tories do it, not only will UK be out the EU, BBC will be a shell of its former self and the NHS no more..

oh and TTIP. aaaaaaaaargh noooooooo

executor

I often think that US is the future and here (Italy) is the past but when I read those news I'm glad to live in the past... Never tought about the possibility of paying for a ride in an ambulance......

Do they even have proof that this guy knew there was a court case?
I don't know anything about this guy, but I'm picturing trying to serve a summons to a homeless person.

Some people just don't read their mail. I deal with unpaid power utility accounts and turn off meters all day.

TomServo

And there are people who still defend paid healthcare.

I'm LOLbertarian at my core, but even I accept the practical need for universal health care.

I've felt this way for a very long time, but as if I needed a reminder, I ended up on an ambulance ride to the ER last year. The prices I paid for all of the services were so clearly inflated multiple times over their actual costs that it was obvious that I was paying for the people that use the same services but can't / won't / don't pay.

The reality is that we're already paying for each other's care. We may as well put it into law.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
How can you arrest someone for something like this?

This entire episode was absurd from the get-go.

RIP guy :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom