• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Dies in Police Custody After Being Jailed for an Unpaid Medical Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the arguments against a good healthcare systeme again?
Except "We ain't no red commi pigs!"

Wealthy people, talking millionaires and up, and CEOs have done a great job convincing non wealthy people that raising their taxes would result in jobs being lost because there would be less money to reinvest in the company. Some have gone so far as threaten job cuts and/or preventing growth if their personal salaries are taxed more.

All of which is a joke. The millionaires and billionaires getting taxed the same as $60,000 household should not affect jobs.

Ps. Ambulance rides are a joke. Once took my wife to a hospital because her stitches from her tonsils ruptured. They said the branch we were at couldn't do anything and took my wife via ambulance to the other hospital across town. I didn't know any better about the costs and such and that cross town trip was a $1000

Had a buddy get an ambulance ride about 2 miles. Got two Tylenol and an hour to rest.

Over 5k.

Had a family friend's wife go into the hospital for kidney stones.

< 1 day worth of hospital stay later, the bill was $22,000.00.

They were charging something like $250 per bag of saline. Saline bags that cost hospitals something like $0.005/bag in bulk. Never mind the rest of what little they ended up doing for her.

And apparently we have apologists for said system in this very thread. Quite remarkable, that.

Arken2121

I once took a patient that was in cardiac arrest. We managed to somehow get a rhythm back and he was able to walk out of the hospital with no complications. However, his rescue bill was 7k alone. Good knows his hospital bill. It's terrible

The end result of not showing up for a court summons will always be jail, whether you jay walked or assaulted someone. If there was no penalty, people would just stop showing up altogether.

They cited another incident in the article of a guy that didn't pay his 30-year-old $1,500 tuition debt. I'm not playing devil's advocate, but who takes that long to pay off that kind of debt? Could that have been the case of a person having the money but not wanting to pay?

K' Dash

2k ambulance bill wtf? Must have been driving across the continent.

Ambulance is not a car ride, if the patient is critical or need to be stabilized they can use very expensive one use equipment and medicines.

With that said, this sickens me, the US need to get their shit together about universal health care.

Arken2121

Ambulance is not a car ride, if the patient is critical or need to be stabilized they can use very expensive one use equipment and medicines.

With that said, this sickens me, the US need to get their shit together about universal health care.

Just wait to reiterate this. We are not taxi rides. With that being said, healthcare is still to damn expensive.

The end result of not showing up for a court summons will always be jail, whether you jay walked or assaulted someone. If there was no penalty, people would just stop showing up altogether.
Stupid as fuck. That's stupid as fuck, that's fucking stupid as fuck. Jail isn't a time out corner.

God damn.

Not sure why everything has to be expensive. Stay overnight at ER is $1000. Pull a tooth out $500. Giving birth $30,000. I can get those done with 1/10th of the cost without insurance in Asia.

Because you don't have insurance companies negotiating prices.
The rules of a free market where the customer chooses the best and cheapest product don't apply, because customers don't know what would be best and cheapest and are therefore easily exploited.

In other countries where you have insurance companies as a middle man who have an interest in paying as little as possible but also have an interest in getting the best care for their customers so they don't have to come back again and again, the prices for healthcare are way lower, because these companies can hire experts who evaluate products and services.

Its ironic that a country like the US where everyone always talks about how important the free market is has a healthcare system where the rules of a free market don't apply.

As a result you get this:
0006_health-care-oecd-full.gif

Stupid as fuck. That's stupid as fuck, that's fucking stupid as fuck. Jail isn't a time out corner.

God damn.

Does the judicial system have the right to summons people to court for legal matters?
Does the judicial system have the right to enforce the summons?

What would be the proper response from the judicial situation for people who fail to appear at court?

krae_man

2k ambulance bill wtf? Must have been driving across the continent.

That's crazy to me too.

Why was I billed $45 for ambulance service?

Ontario residents having a valid Ontario health card and receiving ambulance transportation deemed medically necessary are required, under Ontario legislation, to pay the billing institution an ambulance co-payment of $45.00 unless falling into one of the Special Exemption categories listed below.

Why was I billed $240 for ambulance service?

When an Ontario resident with a valid health card is transported within Ontario by land ambulance, and the receiving hospital physician or designate deems the use of an ambulance medically unnecessary, the ambulance transportation is not insured under the Ontario Health Insurance Act and the patient must pay the billing institution $240.00.

Does the judicial system have the right to summons people to court for legal matters?

What would be the proper response from the judicial situation for people who fail to appear at court?
Yes, yes, they should use non-discriminatory means and provide a viable and free legal representation option.

Poverty ain't a Crime America.

Haroon

The anesthetic of normalized apathy. When everyone else around you doesn't care, you start to think it's sort of okay to not care either.

It's more about the Western societies stand on being focused on independent than interdependent. There's a focus on improving yourself than improving yourself, and everyone around you to keep a social harmony. With the multitudinous amount of entertainment media focusing on the hero in movies, or the best basketball player in sports. It's no wonder that it will impact other aspects of our lives. People are more concerned about themselves than they are about others because that's what the have learned to do as they were growing up. In order for their to be a significant change. We will need to begin moving to a more interdependent society.

E-Cat

It's more about the Western societies stand on being focused on independent than interdependent. There's a focus on improving yourself than improving yourself, and everyone around you to keep a social harmony. With the multitudinous amount of entertainment media focusing on the hero in movies, or the best basketball player in sports. It's no wonder that it will impact other aspects of our lives. People are more concerned about themselves than they are about others because that's what the have learned to do as they were growing up. In order for their to be a significant change. We will need to begin moving to a more interdependent society.
I think you confuse Western society with the US. The culture of European countries, while still individual oriented, does not place such emphasis on celebrity worship. We value great thinkers, teachers and scientists.

And we do take care of our sick and poor.

Haroon

I think you confuse Western society with the US. The culture of European countries, while still individual oriented, does not place such emphasis on celebrity worship.

And we do take care of our sick and poor.

I am not confusing Western society with the US. I am using the term Western society to talk about the US. I should have used a comparison with Eastern societies as well. Many studies have shown in Psychology that people from Eastern society mask their emotions based on whether someone is present to view their reaction to something. And in most cases, they will mask it with a smile to not disrupt social harmony. While an individual from the west would express their emotions openly. I never said that either societies do not care for their sick and poor. I wrote about the general reason why you don't see why people caring about this specific situation, and many others that you may come across in the future.

Kill3r7

Yes, yes, they should use non-discriminatory means and provide a viable and free legal representation option.

Poverty ain't a Crime America.

Why? His freedom was not being threatened. If we were to provide free legal representation for civil matters the legal system would drown.

Speechless.

Perfectly "normal". As in this is where our healthcare is at and has BEEN at for a very long time.

My friend in his early 20's basically told em he flat out wasn't going to pay. He never did. He didn't give a shit about his credit at the time and after 7-8 years it was no longer an issue.

Ogodei

There is a deadbeat paradox that needs to be resolved. I'm not saying everyone who has a lot of debt is untrustworthy: most people in debt will make a good faith effort to get out of it if they have the means, but there are always going to be a few people who really just want to avoid paying for anything, and if they really don't have the money for it, it's impossible to compel them, but can you really just let them off the hook, either?

Current solutions are definitely self-defeating though, like old Bill Clinton's laws about child support where he'd chuck the deadbeat parent in jail while their back child support pay only grew and grew and surprise, now they don't have a job or income to do the thing you're trying to make them do!

Maybe some sort of enforced community service (plus a cost-of-living stipend for the individual) in exchange for the government paying down your bills? But only for extreme cases where the individual doesn't have or can't get a job.

Why? His freedom was not being threatened. If we were to provide free legal representation for civil matters the legal system would drown.

So a guy has no money to pay for an ambulance bill, and he's due in court over the non-payment of his due bill and you suggest him to retain an attorney for the procedures? He has no money cause he's poor. If he needs legal representation and advice he should be given a free option in order to receive a fair treatment in court.

Now you have a man dead, who knows if he had a family because in America the biggest crime is poverty.

Fucking bootstrap mentality.

1) Not a 2k bill in the first place.

2) No dead bodies.

But alas, the courts and our systems overall punish the poor, and the systems in place that kinda don't, are constantly under attack.

RefigeKru

Banned
Let's say you get shot/stabbed by a crook, you're found by someone who then calls you an Ambulance but you don't have insurance.

What happens then?

Kill3r7

So a guy has no money to pay for an ambulance bill, and he's due in court over the non-payment of his due bill and you suggest him to retain an attorney for the procedures? He has no money cause he's poor. If he needs legal representation and advice he should be given a free option in order to receive a fair treatment in court.

Now you have a man dead, who knows if he had a family because in America the biggest crime is poverty.

Fucking bootstrap mentality.

Show me where in my post I suggested that he should have hired an attorney. I was simply informing you of the current law.

The idea of Civil Gideon has been discussed at length and so far most of the states who have experimented with pilot programs have limited its scope significantly. Providing attorneys in civil matters would require a significant amount of funding that most states cannot afford without significant help from the federal government.

According to Justice Earl Johnson Jr. of the California Court of Appeals, if the United States were to match the French and German approach, we would be spending about $1.6 billion annually on legal services for the poor; if we followed the lead of UK&#8217;s government, we would be spending about $10 billion annually.

An estimated 4 million people seek to represent themselves (Pro Se) in CA in civil matters each year and that is CA alone. The US is a far more litigious than any other country in the world.

Show me where in my post I suggested that he should have hired an attorney. I was simply informing you of the current law.

The idea of Civil Gideon has been discussed at length and so far most of the states who have experimented with pilot programs have limited its scope significantly. Providing attorneys in civil matters would require a significant amount of funding that most states cannot afford without significant help from the federal government.

An estimated 4 million people seek to represent themselves (Pro Se) in CA in civil matters each year and that is CA alone. The US is a far more litigious than any other country in the world.
What were you suggesting? Self-Representation? Please tell me that's a joke. Yes, Civil representation costs money, you know what else cost a lot of money? Putting people in prison. They become a burden on the state\federal. Plus, you have a civilian that's unable to contribute to the economy.

Your reason to deny fair treatment to a fellow citizen, a fellow human is just money. Read that sentence & tell me if that's the kind of society you want.

As I said, poverty isn't a crime. A poor person should be given a fair chance to have a dignified life but in America being poor is horrible and any random event can fuck you forever.

Kill3r7

What were you suggesting? Self-Representation? Please tell me that's a joke. Yes, Civil representation costs money, you know what else cost a lot of money? Putting people in prison. They become a burden on the state\federal. Plus, you have a civilian that's unable to contribute to the economy.

Your reason to deny fair treatment to a fellow citizen, a fellow human is just money. Read that sentence & tell me if that's the kind of society you want.

As I said, poverty isn't a crime. A poor person should be given a fair chance to have a dignified life but in America being poor is horrible and any random event can fuck you forever.

What are you going on about? The law currently in the US does not provide an individual with representation in a civil matter. Thus, if you can't get representation and/or do not qualify for legal aid or one of the special programs then the only alternative is Pro Se. The idea that somehow legal representation would have prevented this situation is far fetched. This has more to do with the failure of our health system than our legal system. At the end of the day you cannot ignore a court appearance/summons.

Also, why mention prison? The US does not have debtors prison.

Huff

Banned
Thanks to health insurance only reimbursing the hospital/amublance like 5-10% of the actual bill, they jack up the prices.by 10-20x

Of course, if you aren't a health insurance company (or the government), you have to pay the full, inflated price[/QUOTE]

Well you don't, but please feed the hysteria

What are you going on about? The law currently in the US does not provide an individual with representation in a civil matter. Thus, if you can't get representation and/or do not qualify for legal aid or one of the special programs then the only alternative is Pro Se. The idea that somehow legal representation would have prevented this situation is far fetched. This has more to do with the failure of our health system than our legal system. At the end of the day you cannot ignore a court appearance/summons.

Also, why mention prison? The US does not have debtors prison.

The point is they should. In regards to your last sentence they do put you in jail for not showing up to court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom