• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Dies in Police Custody After Being Jailed for an Unpaid Medical Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kill3r7

The point is they should. In regards to your last sentence they do put you in jail for not showing up to court.

I agree we should but it is a tall order. We are by far the most litigious society in the world. Also, they put you in jail for failing to appear in court not because of your inability to pay your debts. Furthermore you are only detained until the judge is available to hear your case, in other words you are held in custody to assure your presence.

TheJLC

Let's say you get shot/stabbed by a crook, you're found by someone who then calls you an Ambulance but you don't have insurance.

What happens then?

You get billed for the hospital ride. You can reject that hospital ride and get a friend to drive you. It happens all the time here.

I ask a person that gets shot, you need an ambulance? They are like "nah, my homie got me" then I just follow them to the hospital. I just note down that they refused medical assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom