• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Edits Wind Waker so 3-Year Old Daughter Doesn't Feel 2nd Class

volpone

Banned
All power to the dad.

Anecdote time:

A tutor of mine was talking about how he wanted to share his love of football (soccer) with his daughter as he was raising her. Naturally she wasn't that interested at first but once she discovered there was a women's England team she became quite enthused about the sport. She had favourite female players, and they would go to watch women's matches together. Then one day he brought home a new copy of FIFA and naturally she became quite excited. She asked her dad if she could play and he was elated. But as he navigated the menus for her, one small problem became apparent. The daughter couldn't find any of her favourite women players, women's teams and there was no opportunity to create a female player that looked like herself. Soon after this revelation my tutor's daughter quickly lost interest and a potential avenue for bonding was swiftly closed.

So yeah. More female protagonists please. Videogames are awesome. Why must young girls miss out on the fun?

Pau

I wouldn't mind a female Link. They already let you name the character after yourself. I'd be nice if it reflected your gender too.

xir said:
ooooh, the pronoun game. I think Ursula Le Guin has a good essay about this one for Left Hand of Darkness.
Oh, nice to see a Le Guin mention in a thread! Actually, Wind Waker reminds me a lot of Earthsea. I'm trying to remember the essay but it's been a while... was it the forward? Is it online anywhere?

True, though I still stand by Phantom Hourglass screwing it up. Could've had her keep an active roll through the game instead of acting as a living MacGuffin.

Yeah, and I don't think a bit of darkness in a story means it should be absolutely avoided, just consider the whole of the work. And Wind Waker's about on the level of a Disney film there whereas Metroid can, at its worst, be a cleaned up version of Alien/Aliens. Still too dark for a toddler unless you're being very careful, I guess the first could fly but most didn't even know she was a she until they beat it fast enough (or more likely read about it in a magazine).

You don't have to know the gender, really.

props to the dad, i don't understand how people are saying a child shouldn't be exposed to wind waker. all my friends and myself included were born round 88-89 we grew up watching terminator, total recall, commando, etc and playing games like contra, bad dudes and similar stuff and we grew up fine. not to mention our cartoons were cars that turned to robots that would destroy everything, sheesh.

Jawmuncher

With as empty of a charcater as Link is, it makes me wonder why Nintendo hasn't made a female link yet. I mean it's not like he talks or anything so it wouldnt be very hard to implement. Hell just make it a choice in the beginning of the game.

sp3000

props to the dad, i don't understand how people are saying a child shouldn't be exposed to wind waker. all my friends and myself included were born round 88-89 we grew up watching terminator, total recall, commando, etc and playing games like contra, bad dudes and similar stuff and we grew up fine. not to mention our cartoons were cars that turned to robots that would destroy everything, sheesh.

terminator and commando is more healthy than wind waker

So when she grows up and plays Skyward Sword, how will she react to the scenes between Link and Zelda? This guy better be prepared when his daughter bring girls home.

hatchx

Banned
Show her Pixar's Brave....such good graphics. What is this thread about again?

Oh yeah, I think it's a cute thing for the dad to do.

Eusis

You don't have to know the gender, really.
True, though in the context of this situation it'd be missing the point.
So when she grows up and plays Skyward Sword, how will she react to the scenes between Link and Zelda? This guy better be prepared when his daughter bring girls home.
I'm sure that's a large part of why he used Wind Waker, only some of the 2D ones would work better for that. With OoT and especially TP and Skyward Sword a female Link's just not going to easily fly.

Pau

CO_Andy

Female Link? No, just no.

We aught to petition Nintendo to develop a proper Wind Waker sequel with Tetra as the lead.

I can already see his daughter register to GAF 10 years from now and post in the "Videogame Facts that Blow Your Mind" thread with: "Today, I found out that Link is really a guy. MIND. BLOWN."

Le Singe

Neo Member
That's so awesome. Link should have been female anyway, would have been great for Nintendo to have a strong female lead - of course they'd screw that up like Samus.

I like the idea of a game character where it couldn't be conclusive if the player character was male or female. Or if both the male and female versions were equally valid.

Pau

You know I was joking.
My apologies. Sad part is there are people who think it's a legitimate concern when it comes to having homosexual romances in children's media, even if it would be as nonsexual as the endless amounts of heterosexual romances they consume.

Tagg9

My apologies. Sad part is there are people who think it's a legitimate concern when it comes to having homosexual romances in children's media, even if it would be as nonsexual as the endless amounts of heterosexual romances they consume.

Just let her play Mass Effect and be done with it.

volpone

Banned
Zelda is a very strong awesome female character in this game, whats the point of changing Link.

Because all of her interesting characteristics are undone once Tetra becomes Zelda and is consequently kidnapped again.

Link on the other hand is constantly empowered (barring the first trip to the Foresaken Fortress), ever increasingly heroic and functions as an avatar for the player; their agency is also Link's. A girl would find it much more engaging to play as a female Link than admire Tetra who comparatively occupies a fraction of the game's perspective.

Madouu

Great dad.

It's pretty cool that he went through the effort of "editing" the game. Most people would say that it isn't worth the effort, but I definitely think it is. Children, even at early ages, are pretty receptive.

That's so awesome. Link should have been female anyway, would have been great for Nintendo to have a strong female lead - of course they'd screw that up like Samus.

I like the idea of a game character where it couldn't be conclusive if the player character was male or female. Or if both the male and female versions were equally valid.

It was one game, honestly, guys. Even then, that's more of anime tropes put onto a female lead rather than sexism. There are too many insecure anime leads. And that was what that was. Varia Suit fiasco? Same thing happened with the Gravity Suit, except she could authorize her own abilities at that point. Stupid both times, not sexist. And it's still one game. Pretend it never happened if that helps.

I also have a 3 yr old daughter. Not interested in playing video games with her at this age as I prefer to play with her and do creative/outdoor stuff but it got me thinking.

What are some good female role models in video games?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'm kinda missing something, but why did he have to go through hex editing at all, couldn't he just add female pronouns as he was reading it?

It's exactly the opposite. A parent who actually thinks about the consequences of the media that his daughter consumes and will consume in the future. Your post is a turd.

The consequences of his three year old daughter playing a video game with a male protag will be huge, I'm sure.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I also have a 3 yr old daughter. Not interested in playing video games with her at this age as I prefer to play with her and do creative/outdoor stuff but it got me thinking.

I don't about role models, but castlevania order of ecclesia, the mega man zx series, and monster tales are great games with female leads on the ds.

Esiquio

Just put in Beyond Good and Evil instead.

jeremiahjohnson.gif

Kazerei

Banned
The consequences of his three year old daughter playing a video game with a male protag will be huge, I'm sure.

It's easy to not notice when you're a male in a world with lots of male protags, but it's nice to have a protag who is similar to you once in awhile.

+Aliken+

That Dad is my new hero.

I have a new baby girl (one month and a half) and I really see what he means.
Things have improved a lot in the recent years regarding videogames for girls but there is still a long way to go.

I'd say Shantae/Bayonetta, but I feel like that's for when they're older...

Pezking

I don't know...seems a bit paranoid to me.
He's trying way too hard.

I think its great. Most girls pick girls to play as in pokemon. Would it be as popular if there was only a male choice?

Most male Gaffers pick Femshep. ;-)

Pokémon games don't have an iconic hero to begin with.

It's like rewriting "Harry Potter" with a female lead, so that your daughter doesn't feel like a 2nd class sorcerer apprentice.

+Aliken+

I'm sorry you can't expand your thought processes about this case. So often you see and hear about parents who don't understand/give a fuck about what their kids watch and play.

Hats off to you sir.

Such comments from people like "Trent Strong" make me flip. I wanted to answer to him but wouldn't have been able to keep cool about it :)

Eusis

I'd say Shantae/Bayonetta, but I feel like that's for when they're older...
Shantae's probably not too bad once she's going to school, though the preferences of the developers kinda shine there. Bayonetta probably needs a few more years though, yeah.
It's probably more accurate to say people pick the protagonist they like more, whether it's because they identify more with that one or they just like the design or story impact.

Steaks

It's like rewriting "Harry Potter" with a female lead.

The problem is there's not enough Harry Potters with a Female lead.

When the only thing you see is white dudes do all the things, then it starts to get ingrained that white dudes are the only ones who can do all the things. It's kind of a huge freakin' reason sexism still exists. People buy into the media that surrounds them, and it defines their attitudes towards gender.

Meeeeeeeeedia privilege.

Jawmuncher

I don't know...seems a bit paranoid to me.
He's trying way too hard.

Pokémon games don't have an iconic hero to begin with.

It's like rewriting "Harry Potter" with a female lead.

My argument there though is Harry isn't a silent character.
Personally a lot of silent protagonsits can easily be set in either gender.
Especialyl because of the way they are treated in the game.

Top Bottom