• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Walks 3 Miles to Work, nice folks buy him a car

aBarreras

Nice gesture, but for people walking to work because of lack of money, isn't getting a cheap bike the sensible thing to do?

he was already saving money for a car so he has it covered i guess, also

Article actually did say they also gave him a $500 gas card, paid-for oil changes for two years and 1 year of paid-for insurance, so they really did think this thing through.

and i mean, he can use it on really hot days, or something, he doesnt have to start using it daily

Nice gesture, but for people walking to work because of lack of money, isn't getting a cheap bike the sensible thing to do?

Do you not comprehend that a car can dramatically improve his life besides his commute to work? There isnt a stipulation that he can only use it to go to work.

3 miles? Heh. I used to walk 4.5 miles to work. I could have drove, but it was a choice to get in shape. And it worked. At least then. But 9 miles on your feet 5 days a week meant some sore weekends.

Do you not comprehend that a car can dramatically improve his life besides his commute to work? There isnt a stipulation that he can only use it to go to work.
Not bashing on the kind strangers who did this and a car will take your further, but if he wasn't getting a car now, him getting a bike would have been a smart move. Although we are talking about the US, so I guess the infrastructure kind of sucks for it.

Tenck

Not bashing on the kind strangers who did this and a car will take your further, but if he wasn't getting a car now, him getting a bike would have been a smart move. Although we are talking about the US, so I guess the infrastructure kind of sucks for it.

He was saving up for a car. He probably needs it a lot more than a bike.

theWB27

Getting a car is better than getting a bike.

SeanC

I walk a mile to and from the bus stop every day, and the bus is an hour commute on top of that.

I mean, congrats on a new car, seems like a nice dude, but if the only reason was he has to walk 3 miles then...shrug?

I'm jaded af BTW. So there's that...

He was saving up for a car. He probably needs it a lot more than a bike.

Getting a car is better than getting a bike.
I know, I'm just talking about the period he spent walking until he got the car. Getting a bike in that time when he couldn't afford a car would already open up more opportunities and save time. If he lives in a place where he can get around on one safely I guess.

Think about this, with a car,

He can drive in the winter and rain, he can drive longer distances to find a better job, heck he can even give other folks a ride to work. He has the mobility to go to places he normally cannot get to like maybe hospitals that a further out, he can take his family to say an amusement park, maybe a zoo, etc.

But no, we should probably get stuck on the whole 3 miles to work thing and a gift that on the surface appears over the top.
I'm talking about the situation where he didn't have a car yet, where it might have been a good idea to get a bike instead if he couldn't afford a car himself.

Tripolygon

Banned
Think about this, with a car,

He can drive in the winter and rain, he can drive longer distances to find a better job, heck he can even give other folks a ride to work. He has the mobility to go to places he normally cannot get to like maybe hospitals that a further out, he can take his family to say an amusement park, maybe a zoo, etc.

But no, we should probably get stuck on the whole 3 miles to work thing and a gift that on the surface appears over the top.

cr0w

Old Member
How many people bitching about a kind gesture in here turn around and support things like socialized health care or universal basic income?

Or post something sarcastic about "bootstraps" when a Republican says something about welfare?

theWB27

I know, I'm just talking about the period he spent walking until he got the car. Getting a bike in that time when he couldn't afford a car would already open up more opportunities and save time. If he lives in a place where he can get around on one safely I guess.

And that would've taken from his car savings.

LQX

Sounds terrible
It was actually fun. Me and my friends played all the way to school, then like a few blocks before our school there was a store where we would load up and candies and other junk food. It was like our reward for walking so far. Eventually my parents started making me go by car service and I sort of hated it.

You guys kill me. A fucking bike? He probably wants to go more places than just work. Just when I redeem my faith in humanity here come some Gaffers to bring me back to reality.

smurfx

get some go again
i don't think i would be impressed if somebody told me they walk 3 miles to work. good for him though.

Socreges

Banned
This is nice and everything but it all seems a bit strange to me:

- how long does it take to walk 3 miles? 45 min? Is it too hot to walk?
- no public transit, I guess?
- is it too hot to bike?

If No to any of the above, why gift him a car like he's some charity case?

If Yes to the above, spend that money on a plane ticket and move him somewhere less shitty.

cr0w

Old Member
And now I'm convinced that some of y'all simply love to be miserable and can't function without finding something to bitch about in a positive story. I can't fathom what it must be like to live like that.

Goddamn.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
It's heartening to know that no matter how positive and inspiring a story, someone can find a reason to shit on it. Good thread.

Desperado

https://goo.gl/maps/UKJHERXQVVT2

Here's the restaurant. Rockwall, like the vast majority of Texas suburbs, has no public transit. The streets sure as hell are not conducive to biking, and even if they happened to be, drivers will not be expecting anyone to be using a bike for transportation, so it would be dangerous. I bike for transportation myself, but I live in a city with decent bike infrastructure. There's no way I would bike 3 miles in Rockwall.

If you zoom out you can see how far Rockwall is from Dallas itself. In fact, the only direct route towards the city is an interstate freeway bridge. The guy might be able to walk to work, but he sure as hell ain't getting anywhere of consequence without a car.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Rockwall+TX+75087:4:US

Here's the 10 day weather forecast. It will essentially be in the 90s (or breaking 100) every day for the next 3 months.

3 mile commute you gotta have a car? Sure comfy with AC in summer heat but you can bike 3 miles in less than 10 mins. wtf

Sure you will get sweaty doing that tho, but showers at work?

It's very nice of them to do that for him.

But we should examine our economic system in which someone with a job can't afford basic transportation.

Top Bottom