• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man who paid $750 for photo of Xbox One gets free system

I'm still blown away by the fact he's 19 years old (looks much older), has a 4 year old kid, and is buying a xb1 when most likely he can't budget that.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
So people who are not idiots have to pay for their consoles and stupid people get them free?

Remind me to smack myself in the head before next gen starts.

Bumhead

Banned
At least being from CEX, the whole thing will be covered in pubic hairs and bodily fluid crust, so it's not all good for him.

I wonder how far this stretches. I might go to my local and say I won an EBay auction for an Xbox One and a copies of Dead Rising 3 and Ryse for my 1 year old daughter for Christmas, but got a box of eggs instead.

dugdug

Banned
Also, something weird. If there's enough stock in his area that a store can just give him one, why didn't he buy it there?

I feel bad that he got scammed, but then I lose sympathy when he tried to pass it off as for his kid. Like I said before, no one in their right mind would buy a next gen system for a 4 year old, especially if money is tight.

PKrockin

What exactly is on the XB1 right now that's so perfect for a 4-year-old that it's worth $700 at launch?

This guy bought it for himself.

"The system was intended as a Christmas gift for his four-year-old son"

Yes, along with dat children's library the console has and simple controller that a toddler would embrace.

Sad to see lots of Daily Mail-esque comments from Gaffers responding to stories about this guy. Judging people for being teen parents is the lowest of the low.

Kudos to CEX for helping him out.

VASPER

Banned
This guy seems like a real winner, 19 and a 4 year old son who I'm sure he's buying that system for his son lol. I'm sorry but a 8 year old isn't going to know what to do with a XB1. I barley know how to work the damn thing.

Man, some people in this thread huffing and puffing at someone getting a free Xbone. Salty, is that the term used by kids today?

Good for the guy, nobody deserves to get scammed!

Amir0x

Banned
Rewarded for being an idiot

Well done

It's obvious people are responding to the fact a four year old will be without a system for Christmas, not that he was an idiot himself and probably shouldn't be rewarded.

Who cares if he was dumb, he did it with the best intentions for a four year old kid! Yes, he should have read it, yes he was dumb. But the kid didn't do any of that and he has a father willing to spend $750 on him for a single item. I'd say the father was trying to do whatever he could to make his kid happy, and the kid just wants what is on his wishlist. This is not worth getting all indignant over. It's a kid getting his wish for Christmas because his dad made a mistake that believe it or not many consumers who are in a rush end up doing.

okay so he essentially got a xbo for free... for being scammed.

Nice gesture from CeX but... expect "personal stories" to rise lol.

The Cowboy

Who cares if he was dumb, he did it with the best intentions for a four year old kid! Yes, he should have read it, yes he was dumb. But the kid didn't do any of that and he has a father willing to spend $750 on him for a single item. I'd say the father was trying to do whatever he could to make his kid happy, and the kid just wants what is on his wishlist. This is not worth getting all indignant over. It's a kid getting his wish for Christmas because his dad made a mistake that believe it or not many consumers who are in a rush end up doing.

It wasn't for the child (I hope I'm not missing sarcasm in your post).

Codeblue

It's obvious people are responding to the fact a four year old will be without a system for Christmas, not that he was an idiot himself and probably shouldn't be rewarded.

The odds that the console is really for his kid are near zero.

Replicant

2398590-cexxbox.jpg

The guy on the left is hot. Store owner, I assume?

Good way for the store to get free advertising and move dead stock.

HNNNNG...#DED

I'm happy he got his Xbox One but a $750 game console to give to his 4 year old son seems way too much, especially him being so young.

Mistel

Banned
CEX, so it's second-hand but hey, probably barely used anyway since the console hasn't been out long.

My local CEX are selling an Xbone in the window for £540. £540!

There is one being sold for £500 in a CEX near me day one edition as well, but i'll doubt anyone will by it though unless they are really desperate.

In all honest why would you buy a young child a Xbox one? I'm not sure a four year old really would appreciate it.

Amir0x

Banned
The odds that the console is really for his kid are near zero.

It wasn't for the child (I hope I'm not missing sarcasm in your post).

While I am sure there's good odds on that, I am merely saying why people responded to this story and rewarded him. They are not rewarded the Dad's stupidity, but trying to save a Kid's Christmas despite his Dad's idiocy. It's not worth getting indignant over unless there is an investigation that proves it is not for the kid.

KiDdYoNe

Rewarded for being an idiot

Well done

God this is good.

Yeah, kinda fake story: 19 y/o guy with buys an Xbox One for his 4 y/o son... Does the kid even know what Xbox One is? And papa done the deed when, like when he was 15? Girl said "fine"? :D
And now he even get's refund, while the listing actually said he's gonna get a photo. Yeah, sure.

Top Bottom