• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosichu

Well
he wasn't their friend in Film Z
. But I think he might become one.

Didn't know that. What happens?
How valid is it and why is he the strawhats' enemy, is it worth watching?

Does anyone think the 10th will be the final member to join the crew? (In Romance Dawn Luffy says 10 should be enough for a crew.) I could still see the Oda expanding on this alliance theme, which Luffy will need if he does actually take-down Big Mom and claims her territories.
Where is Trafalgar's crew anyway, do you think they are just doing their own thing or were they forcefully separated from Law (is this why Law wants to take out an emperor so badly?)

Yonafunu

Well, Aokiji has never been hostile towards the Straw Hats, or pirates in general. He just acted out of duty.
Then there's his dislike of Akainu, which will almost definitely side him with the Straw Hats.

Well, Aokiji has never been hostile towards the Straw Hats, or pirates in general. He just acted out of duty.
Then there's his dislike of Akainu, which will almost definitely side him with the Straw Hats.
Pretty much. He had his chance to finish the whole crew off and didn't.

Stinky

I couldnt speak more highly of Enies Lobby/Water 7 . I'm not sure if One Piece is the greatest shonen manga but I'm confident in saying Enies Lobby is the best arc in any battle shonen.

I even have pictures and junk to prove it! SPOILERS AHOY

This was the first time the strawhats had a major disagreement and I really started to like Usopp during this arc.

Drama!
Humour!
Adventure!

Love this page, first time I read it tears welled up in my eyes, and then I smiled so hard at Franky

The Blueno and Lucci fights are so good

It even had all sorts of cool powers: 1 2

OMG Merry!!! :O

OMG Merry... :(

I'm not a huge OP fan and I agree with this. It's one of the best arcs I've read in a shonen (haven't read many).

It's just got it all TBH, I love the murder-mystery aspect it almost gets when Iceberg gets shot, I love the crew almost falling to pieces with the Robin & Usopp things.

It's kind of a shame we've got the dark backstories and crew troubles out of the way (seemingly permanently) cause they were some of the reasons that, to me, Water 7 was so extremely solid to begin with.

It's also why I find it hard to imagine any arc surpassing it tbh.

Yonafunu

CP9 being the best villains in the series also helps. The whole arc is set up so damn well. Talking about this makes me want to read One Piece all over again.
Shit.

It's just got it all TBH, I love the murder-mystery aspect it almost gets when Iceberg gets shot, I love the crew almost falling to pieces with the Robin & Usopp things.

It's kind of a shame we've got the dark backstories and crew troubles out of the way (seemingly permanently) cause they were some of the reasons that, to me, Water 7 was so extremely solid to begin with.

It's also why I find it hard to imagine any arc surpassing it tbh.
I didn't care much about the Usopp thing, but I loved Robin's story. I definitely shed a tear.

It's hard to imagine, because most of the arcs after that have been kind of a drag.

Weekly Shonen Jump US is now online. It's starting One-Punch Man from Chapter 1.

Pretty awkward, they started Nisekoi False Love and BLue Exorcist at their relatively current chapters, but then this starts at chapter one, why?

Though they did say
FYI about ONE-PUNCH MAN, it has an irregular release schedule, so we should catch up by later this year. We decided to go with chapter 1 so that everyone can read it right from the beginning.

I like their new layout though.

Didn't know that. What happens?
How valid is it and why is he the strawhats' enemy, is it worth watching?

I only skimmed it but Aokiji seems to play a pretty big role in it. He's not an enemy but they're not exactly friends either.
They meet once in a bathhouse which shocks the Straw Hats but there's no fight. They meet again later with the rest of the crew present and Robin is shaken when she sees him but again no fight; Aokiji instead sends them after Zephyr who is a common threat to everyone. At the end of the movie Kizaru arrives to fuck shit up and Aokiji blocks him with ice to prevent him from chasing after anyone but Zephyr.
The movie itself looks pretty good, better than Strong World. It's basically Admirals: The Movie.

Aokiji basically does whatever the fuck he wants.
He wants to stop Former Admiral Zephyr from destroying the New World but he can't bring himself to do it personally so he lets the Straw Hats take care of it.

One-Punch Man 1
tumblr_mgzpixXUSh1qbxqfpo1_500.png

I didnt know he litrally defeats characters in one punch. His reaction at the end was kind of funny (though he cant be completely expressionless always?) and nice detailed antagonist monster design. Hope main character isnt just a one man thing and has no friends or something or else it may prove to be a boring series :/

Cage of Eden

Not a single character in this series has a believable motivation for anything they do. This isn't even cartoon psychology, it's just dumb. There's no explanation.

Cage of Eden

Not a single character in this series has a believable motivation for anything they do. This isn't even cartoon psychology, it's just dumb. There's no explanation.

Too many things come to mind. Anything specific?

The best friend was by far the worst that I can remember.

Well I cant wait. GenoTama fan art looks rather compelling. Guess Ill stick with it.

UvL1o.gif

Hunter X Hunter The Hunters Exam Arc

This series is really good, all four main characters are extremely likeable and the action is always edge of your seat can't put it down material. It's already obvious that Killua was under some kind of influence that forced him to kill so I'm hoping that sooner then later he'll be able to clear his name and become a Hunter with the rest of the cast. The comment about "the hunter exam isn't over yet" has me even more excited to see what's coming next.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hunter X Hunter The Hunters Exam Arc

This series is really good, all four main characters are extremely likeable and the action is always edge of your seat can't put it down material. It's already obvious that Killua was under some kind of influence that forced him to kill so I'm hoping that sooner then later he'll be able to clear his name and become a Hunter with the rest of the cast. The comment about "the hunter exam isn't over yet" has me even more excited to see what's coming next.

In a way HxH is the ideal shouen manga, other than the long breaks it's straight up amazing. Each arc is better than the last, you're lucky you get to marathon everything that's been put out so far.

upandaway

Hayate

Izumi is seriously the best Izumi. I'm not even joking, I know that's a big statement. I mean 100% of that.

Between this and Minami-ke, I've noticed that I always really really love the idiots. I hope this doesn't say anything about me.

Haikyuu 40-41

That was one of the better fodder matches I've seen in a sports manga. That felt pretty nice.

Nothing will beat a real match though, which is just about to start.

In a way HxH is the ideal shouen manga, other than the long breaks it's straight up amazing. Each arc is better than the last, you're lucky you get to marathon everything that's been put out so far.
HxH is one of the most rereadable shonen manga in my opinion (especially among long-running ones). If we count both the anime and the manga I've gone through the entire thing like 7-8 times now. I didn't even have a solid grip on nen (and a lot of other details) for the first few times, so in that sense a reread was almost mandatory to the experience.

So honestly I don't think the hiatuses are that bad in the big picture, since you can just reread things once it starts up again. It just sucks because you want more of it and it's not there.

This is really one of the worst examples of culture poison I've ever seen.

edit: fuck man, every page of this damn manga aggravates me

:lol At least you can say it doesn't get worse from just about where you are.

Bad thing is it doesn't get much better either.

Did you not read the final chapter impressions? Or just masochistic?

Mr. Fix

One Piece - Enies Lobby

Wow. I don't even know if this can be considered a story arc on its own. It's basically a huge climax to Water 7. Starts off feeling like a literal One Piece Musou comic, tons of action, not a lot of plot, huge stakes, then it interleaves all the various characters and plot elements developed in Water 7 into layer after layer of conclusions, with subplots and backstories being tied up and expanded. Really phenomenal storytelling. I loved Nico Robin's flashback, and the legacy of the Lost History is becoming more and more intriguing. The climax to this arc was a total tearjerker. It's really amazing how sad One Piece can be for a manga where no one in the actual story ever "dies". Hats off to Oda for weaving a story where a ship "dying" can be that powerful. Amazing.

The epilogue after Enies Lobby was fantastic too. Seeing all those characters again and watching the reactions from all the places the the Straw Hats have been to before, seeing the bounty grow, getting the new ship, and getting all sorts of crazy foreshadowing on The New World, the Ds, and all that Ace vs Blackbeard stuff... omg... :D

V71IXi6.gif

Unfortunately the first half of the next arc is a snoozefest, but picks up during the later half. Then there's Sabaody, which is... well you'll see.

upandaway

Oh man I forgot to comment on the duckrolls. Enies Lobby is pretty great.

By the way, impressive timing on catching up on OP now. It's in a particularly nice spot to catch up on, I think. Can't wait for duck to join in on Wednesdays.

I'm only lucky if I get caught up after the most recent hiatus ends which isn't looking likely with how I'm plowing through it

upandaway

I'm only lucky if I get caught up after the most recent hiatus ends which isn't looking likely with how I'm plowing through it
Yeah I think it would have been better to wait until an announcement and reading Jojo instead. You're not at fault though, everyone told you otherwise.

Bossun

Nisekoi False Love 58

megane is pretty dull character or rather pretty dumb, they were on the windowsill I think. Oh well at least best friend, Shu, is that his name? is pretty awesome.

Sadly Nisekoi is falling in the same category as Fairy Tale and KNIM.
And it hurts me to say that as I am a huge fan of his other work.

Oh my god, Akira's analysis makes no sense, "carried into the forest" my ass, she was god damn 50 feet away and they didn't even try to hide her what the hell is going on.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Okay, I'm putting God's Beard on suicide watch.

Yonafunu

Dat Chimera Ant Arc. Fantastic.

Well I cant wait. GenoTama fan art looks rather compelling. Guess Ill stick with it.

Do you always look up "FRIENDSHIP" fanart when you start a new series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom