• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga is way more diverse and varied than I had imagined

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, to put it simply, I always had a certain perspective regarding manga (and anime). My only exposure to it was seeing commercials for Dragon Ball Z as a kid, and the glimpses of art online. When I thought manga, I thought stuff like this
m072FuK.png
yugioh-netflix.jpg
Maybe there were good stories out there, probably not, but the art was the biggest turn-off. (Personally, I still can't stand that style)

That all started to change thanks to two things: Afro Samurai and Junji Ito

The former was important in showing me that anime/manga was more than just those glimpses I had seen as a kid, but it was Enigma of Amigara Fault that really got the ball rolling. I had actually only gotten in comics in general two years ago, and had been very impressed by the sheer amount of great sci-fi, horror, and crime thriller series, so discovering Ito's work and learning that manga also had really fantastic horror stories with a more realistic art style than I had ever seen before was eye opening.

And from it was down the rabbit hole. First manga series I got into was Lone Wolf and Cub, follow by Parasyte, which had caught my eye due to the crazy body horror action. Then onto Blame and Biomega, both with their intricate art style and sci-fi horror stories. Blade of the Immortal, The Drifting Classroom, and One Punch Man soon after, and then Tomie, Gyo, and Berserk

It took me a while to get used to reading right to left and the panel layout. As you can tell from the list, I tend to like a pretty specific spectrum of manga. A more realistic art style, and heavy on the horror or sci-fi. One Punch Man was actually my first foray into another manga genre, and I was surprised to find how genuinely funny and fun that series is.

After Ito, it's Nihei's work that has really impressed me the most. I love his minimalist narratives and focus on visual storytelling and detailed spaces, the disgusting body horror and well-drawn action. I'm looking forward to continuing with Berserk as well.

On my wishlist for the future, I got my eye on Knights of Sidonia, Vinland Saga, Attack on Titan, Ajin: Demi-Human, and Dorohedoro. And keeping my fingers crossed that Uzumaki gets a digital release.

Yeah and the same can be said about animes as well, it is why I shake my head in disgust when people says Anime sucks as If Anime is a a genre

kswiston

You should put Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind on your list. Especially if you like some of the Studio Ghibli films. It's post-apocalyptic Sci-fi that is far enough past the apocalypse that it is sort of fantasy epic as well.

EDIT:

Oh man, you've barely scratched the surface.

Quick recommendation, anything illustrated by Yusuke Murata, specifically, Eyeshield 21:

eyeshield21_13_74.jpg

Since you're into One Punch Man, he's the guy who's doing the illustrated, none ONE version.

And, of course, Vagabond:

33b170d1078e3b8ebb15d12b7aa477ad.jpg

Came into this thread prepared to mention Ito, but yeah your post nails it. Manga's great, love how different artists and authors can make their story stand out from the norm through it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Vagabond is the best story about a surly homeless vagabond warrior philosopher mass murderer.

Came into this thread prepared to mention Ito, but yeah your post nails it. Manga's great, love how different artists and authors can make their story stand out from the norm through it.

Where comics are a writers medium with a few great illustrators/artists, Manga is an illustrators medium with a few great writers.

So much variance and differences in art style and tone and contrast and shading. You never can feel like you're reading the same thing twice.

Vagabond is the best story about a surly homeless vagabond warrior philosopher mass murderer.

That will never ever be finished.

Another thing about Manga.

Get real, REAL comfortable knowing that almost none of them will ever end or have a satisfactory conclusion.

I have a lot of fun going on a given manga site, and instead going to whatever popular shonen manga is up (though I like my share of shonen), seeing all the weird unique manga that may never get an official release.

It can range from profoundly disturbing to simply profound. Not for the faint of heart though, the japanese often don't pull punches on sex and violence.

.JayZii

Banned
Yep. It's a medium, not a genre. And Junji Ito is a treasure.

I guess most people think you have to like every manga or anime if you like any of them. I was just listening to a podcast where both the hosts were talking about how much they disliked manga. Then later one of them said the only manga that they'd ever read were Berserk and Akira and thought they were both really good. Okay...?
No Berserk?
Literally in the OP.

Where comics are a writers medium with a few great illustrators/artists, Manga is an illustrators medium with a few great writers.

So much variance and differences in art style and tone and contrast and shading. You never can feel like you're reading the same thing twice.
Oh, comics are an illustrators medium for me. I try to actively avoid series that don't have a single artist through the entire run. That's my biggest pet peeves with comics; I can't stand when they shift artists.

Helps that I mainly read Image/indie series

Oh, comics are an illustrators medium for me. I try to actively avoid series that don't have a single artist through the entire run. That's my biggest pet peeves with comics; I can't stand when they shift artists.

Helps that I mainly read Image/indie series

Then your trip down the Manga/Manhwa well is going to be a fun experience.

Strongly second Gundam the Origin and Pluto

TheFlow

Banned
Oo you have an eye for the mature/serious stuff. I recommend vagabond. It will blow you away.

My top 5 manga

Vagabond

Eyeshield 21

Slam dunk

One piece

Haikyuu

The stuff that is translated is barely 1% of the total of manga, if even, and the most popular genres (by print) don't even match what we see published on the other side of the ocean.

Manga is tremendously varied because it has to do what American comics has struggled to achieve for decades, which is making stories for many different walks of life.

If you ever get the chance to walk into a Book-Off or Kinokinuya, do so - the sheer amount of series is humbling.

The stuff that is translated is barely 1% of the total of manga, if even, and the most popular genres (by print) don't even match what we see published on the other side of the ocean.

Manga is tremendously varied because it has to do what American comics has struggled to achieve for decades, which is making stories for many different walks of life.

If you ever get the chance to walk into a Book-Off or Kinokinuya, do so - the sheer amount of series is humbling.

It's because Manga isn't considered "for kids" like comic books are. Everybody reads Manga, so of course everybody gets stories.

And yeah there are so many brilliant series that will never get translated, there's just too much, the Doujin market alone dwarfs the entire western yearly comics market by a sizable factor.

Azuran

Banned
I mean, manga is a medium just like movies, music, and video games. It always amazes me that a lot of people tend to treat it as a single genre considering how easy it is to go to a bookstore or website and read them. Reading stuff from Death Note to Love Hina since I was young made me realized how varied the medium was.

Comic books also tend to get the same negative rap because there's a lot of people out there that believe they're nothing more than superhero stories.

Comic books haven't been for kids for like 2 decades now...

They aren't, but the perception that they are is still a thing.

As an older male in the target demo for comics I recognize they're designed and marketed towards people my age that have been reading since the 90's. But general perception is that they are still "for kids".

Just like Transformers.

Syder

Getting over the whole 'manga and anime is for basement-dwelling weebs' opens you up to an amazing medium for both writing and artwork.

Discovering manga changed my life.

Rooster12

There's a manga called Reggie, it's about an African-American baseball player who got cut from the MLB so he had to come over to Japan to play. It talks about him adapting to Japan and the lifestyle and all that stuff. Don't think it's scanlated though.

I also really enjoyed Megumi no Daigo, it's about a firefighter and his rescue missions. One of the most badass manga I've read.

51CaZUL3FVL.jpg

.JayZii

Banned
It's because Manga isn't considered "for kids" like comic books are. Everybody reads Manga, so of course everybody gets stories.
I'm positive it would be the same in America if the Comics Code Authority hadn't happened. Horror, Western and Romance comics used to be huge.

Yeah. Even single creators have had works in multiple very different genres such as Arakawa going from the action based Full Metal Alchemist to Silver Spoon, a drama/slice of life/comedy about a guy who goes to a farming school. Or how Osamu Tezuka has had classics in pretty much every genre imaginable (though most of those have kind of faded to the tides of time, at least in the west)

Yeah. Even single creators have had works in multiple very different genres such as Arakawa going from the action based Full Metal Alchemist to Silver Spoon, a drama/slice of life/comedy about a guy who goes to a farming school. Or how Osamu Tezuka has had classics in pretty much every genre imaginable (though most of those have kind of faded to the tides of time, at least in the west)

Or how Adachi has 8292098 different books, and they are all, somehow, about baseball.

duckroll

They aren't, but the perception that they are is still a thing.

Judging from the output in the last decade... I don't think so? Superheroes are seen as "for kids" sure, but the main form of consumption for those these days are cartoons, games, and action figures. Comics are pretty much seen as a niche medium for adults these days. I think DC/Marvel -wishes- that there is still a perception that comics are for kids. That way they might actually be able to sell more. :p

Welcome to the club.

Like comics, manga is far more than the tip of iceberg would suggest.

Duck is correct that given your preferences, you should try Monster and Pluto. In that order.

SexyFish

Banned
Glad to see this thread. As someone who only looked at manga at the book fair in middle school when the broke out the Shonen Jump, reading Uzumaki by Junji Ito all day yesterday fucked me up real good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom