• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordicus

Welp, curiosity for mono-eye got the best of me and I bought and played through Love At First Sight VN on Steam sale
be0J4lI.jpg
I blame MangaGAF's influence for this!
Was pretty cute tho

Welp, curiosity for mono-eye got the best of me and I bought and played through Love At First Sight VN on Steam sale
Was pretty cute tho

Man, wouldn't those bangs get in her eye constantly?

Looks like it'd be annoying as hell.

Hitler by Shigeru Mizuki

51hgtYXh7eL._SX351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I was browsing a manga section today and just bought this on a whim because it looked interesting. This was published in 1971, so it may be the oldest manga I've ever read to completion, but I'm probably forgetting some Nagai or Tezuka one shots.

As you can probably tell. the manga is about Adolf Hitler. It isn't goofy like Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku, although with Mizuki's characters being very cartoony you probably couldn't tell, in stark contrast to his realistic and traced interiors and objects. Serious people like Churchill, Goebbels, Eva Braun and Hirohito are portrayed almost as caricatures, but without the whimsy (for the most part.) I wasn't aware Mizuki had lost his left arm serving in the Imperial Army during WW2 which make me respect him a lot more as an artist. It's more biographical, focusing on Hitler the man from his artistic beginnings in Austria to his unceremonious death at the end of the Second World War. Mizuki being Japanese and serving in the Imperial Army has a pretty interesting viewpoint from a Western perspective. Instead of focusing on the War (which is not the focus, but obviously is a major part) or the Holocaust, or the Americans or even the Japanese, this is solely focused on the Man himself. Perhaps it is that Japanese viewpoint that allows Mizuki to avoid the temptation to delve into the matters of the Holocaust (which is hardly mentioned at all) and instead choose to portray Hitler as a human and not a soulless monster, which adds a rare level of dimension to the work.

It is a rather odd manga, very conservative and stylistic paneling, but for an older series by a veteran mangaka it serves its purpose as a biography well.

Nozaki-kun Special 72.5

lol even without him being there the undirected innocent negativity other people say about him hurts so much

his sister had good intentions... she is also ignorantly a fan of her brothers work without realizing

He did tell her but she didn't believe him and the middle brother is too lazy to even explain

oh well

She is like this :D throughout the chapter

Sealed

Banned
Was pretty cute tho

why is she a cyclops

Black Clover 1-42

Naruto done right.

dunno if I would go so far, but I also find it entertaining.

I pretty much agree with the below haha

Black Clover is what happens when you put Naruto, One Piece and Fairy Tail into a blender and strain it via a Shounen Jump adviser. The result is something the magazine's demographics will love, but those outside will just find it okay.

I heard someone was posting mono-eye and came as quickly as I could.

Was pretty cute tho
My man. Been a fan of that artist's work for years, though funnily enough I still don't have a Steam account so I haven't played LaFS yet. Fixing that is one of my 2016 New Year's resolutions.

Bakemono Recchan (one-shot)

m15mpIj.png

Wouldn't usually read Asano, but there was a monster girl. It was pretty monstrous.

UQ Holder

I love touta-niis hoops still. Even after four months of training he still used tons of them. I hope a battle is soon.

Fairy Tail

Happys hug was nice.

Yamajo

Tamaki is such a good president but where is Kurosaki?

Gintama 569

lol that serious face Gintoki had only to be a ass and not remember the guy

Also Gintoki's gift shop wooden sword is tough enough to parry against a uber laser sword

Fire Brigade of Flames 12

the Squad 5 leader is some weird elitist.... she tells him to lick her foot?

they feel more like gangsters then an actual team.... that bubble gum kid is a punk too

Usobuko

Banned
I want a new manga but I don't know what to read ~~
I like romance stuff (shounen/seinen mostly, not fond of harem) and I never say no to some action... And since I'm a fast reader, I'm looking in a manga with 100+ chapters. Any recommendations ? :p

Here's my manga list, it's totally not updated but there are most manga I've read.

Last manga I've read are Erementar Gerad and Beck, I've liked both a lot (even if I had my doubt about Beck, since it's about music, but it's still a good story on paper).

You aren't kidding of being a seinen / shounen romance fan.

Musunde Hiraite ( short episodic related stories)
Koi wa Amaagari no You ni ( ongoing )
Alice in Borderland ( It's survival game series but there's romance )

And depending on you taste, from carebear to schadenfreude,

Kaoru Mori -> Taku Kitazaki -> Naoki Yamamoto -> Minoru Furuya works.

But considering you dropped Punpun and Boys on the Run, the last two mangaka are most likely not your cup of tea.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Discrimination can come just by being 'nice' to that person. So yeah, at first, everything seem fine, but, when Recchan in trouble, we are shown what her classmates really thinks of her. Good stuff

Zweizer

Banned
Bakemono Recchan (One-shot) by Inio Asano

A short story about a monster girl and the usual discrimnation and hypocrisy of relationships.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map

I love that he used his Dead Dead Demon's art style for this one. Probably my favorite one-shot of his to date.

bobohoro

Bakemono Recchan (one.shot)

Well, that was something.
Asano really knows his dark stuff and manages to be insightfull without preaching too much.

Kyuur

Bakemono Recchan

I think it would have been much more potent if he had just used a disfigured person, but I guess its intended to be a commentary on the surge of 'monster girl' media recently as well as social commentary.

Still, great as usual. Asano da god.

Hitler by Shigeru Mizuki

51hgtYXh7eL._SX351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I was browsing a manga section today and just bought this on a whim because it looked interesting. This was published in 1971, so it may be the oldest manga I've ever read to completion, but I'm probably forgetting some Nagai or Tezuka one shots.

As you can probably tell. the manga is about Adolf Hitler. It isn't goofy like Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku, although with Mizuki's characters being very cartoony you probably couldn't tell, in stark contrast to his realistic and traced interiors and objects. Serious people like Churchill, Goebbels, Eva Braun and Hirohito are portrayed almost as caricatures, but without the whimsy (for the most part.) I wasn't aware Mizuki had lost his left arm serving in the Imperial Army during WW2 which make me respect him a lot more as an artist. It's more biographical, focusing on Hitler the man from his artistic beginnings in Austria to his unceremonious death at the end of the Second World War. Mizuki being Japanese and serving in the Imperial Army has a pretty interesting viewpoint from a Western perspective. Instead of focusing on the War (which is not the focus, but obviously is a major part) or the Holocaust, or the Americans or even the Japanese, this is solely focused on the Man himself. Perhaps it is that Japanese viewpoint that allows Mizuki to avoid the temptation to delve into the matters of the Holocaust (which is hardly mentioned at all) and instead choose to portray Hitler as a human and not a soulless monster, which adds a rare level of dimension to the work.

It is a rather odd manga, very conservative and stylistic paneling, but for an older series by a veteran mangaka it serves its purpose as a biography well.

Mizuki is a damn national treasure. Sad that he died in November because he has a lot of really influential works but is rarely if ever mentioned in conversation.

Hitler is an odd beast from him and I think you're right in saying that it was tempered by Mizuki's older sensibilities and WWII...not bias, but viewpoint. There's certainly something to be said for examining a person such as Hitler in regards to just his human elements. I think it's incredibly hard for most people to sever their beliefs and ideas of a person to just do a work examining them. I also think there's something to be said about certain people that avoids the bad aspects when those things were an enormous part of who they are. I think a manga about Pol Pot would be fascinating if it just followed the man and his human side but to divorce everything he did from the man himself due to how intrinsic it was in his person and character sorta means you're cutting a large part of that person out when trying to depict them "realistically" or "objectively"

But it's still worth doing, as this manga shows. Great read.

Bokura no Hentai 1

Oh.

Oh this manga.

This manga has a lot of potential.

It already is starting off tackling gender identity with WAY more nuance than I am used to in manga.

It stars three cross-dressing boys who do it for different reasons; one liked a heterosexual guy so tried to fit his ideal, one does it for his dead sister who he feels responsible for to continue her life and one does it because he identifies as a girl and feels like himself in girl's clothing. It starts with the 3 meeting after linking up on a message board for cross-dressers and the one doing it for his sister thinks the other two are gross and perverts and the manga sorta goes from there.

I have a load of chapters to get to but if it's handled the same as the first chapter...well man, this could be a fantastic read.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Bokura no Hentai 1

Oh.

Oh this manga.

It already is starting off tackling gender identity with WAY more nuance than I am used to in manga.

It stars three cross-dressing boys who do it for different reasons; one liked a heterosexual guy so tried to fit his ideal, one does it for his dead sister who he feels responsible for to continue her life and one does it because he identifies as a girl and feels like himself in girl's clothing. It starts with the 3 meeting after linking up on a message board for cross-dressers and the one doing it for his sister thinks the other two are gross and perverts and the manga sorta goes from there.

I have a load of chapters to get to but if it's handled the same as the first chapter...well man, this could be a fantastic read.
yeah it's cool it tries to tackle gender issues in a better way than most ~trap~ shit does but it honestly isn't a particularly good manga

Bokura no Hentai 1

Oh.

Oh this manga.

yeah it's cool it tries to tackle gender issues in a better way than most ~trap~ shit does but it honestly isn't a particularly good manga

I recommend trying out Himegoto Juukyuusai no Seifuku.

Droplet

Oh? Why not? I think it provides a decent counterpoint to something like, say, Wandering Son.

I wasn't too big on Himegoto either.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Oh? Why not? I think it provides a decent counterpoint to something like, say, Wandering Son.

I wasn't too big on Himegoto either.

it tries to be as melodramatic as possible, needlessly so, such that it undermines its attempt at believable characters and situations.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Bokura no hentai is the shit.

If Shimura could actually plot she'd write Bokura.

Kurita

Dayum, the 5ji Kara 9ji Made drama adaptation was ace. Tried to read the manga but it seems kinda dull actually.
I'm now convinced that every average shojo manga should all be made into live-action shows to become good.

Droplet

it tries to be as melodramatic as possible, needlessly so, such that it undermines its attempt at believable characters and situations.

Eeeh, I'd disagree. Most of the drama comes from three troubled characters trying to sort out their problems, and plot points are created as a result of their established circumstances. It might be dramatic in some ways, but I don't feel that these moments are coming out of left field for some undeserved emotional impact.

Haly

I think Envelope is saying it's very much a "drama". The characters are plausible, but the circumstances of their lives and how they intertwine are definitely in the realm of "hyperreal".

Haly

I guess every drama has some melodramatic moments in it? I wouldn't say Bokura no Hentai is complete melodrama though.

Dayum, the 5ji Kara 9ji Made drama adaptation was ace. Tried to read the manga but it seems kinda dull actually.
I'm now convinced that every average shojo manga should all be made into live-action shows to become good.

I need more is any adapting a manga on the horizon?

Favorite drama of this year was Why Cant Seiya Todoin Get A Girlfriend and
Deathnote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom