• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobohoro

Monster Musume 40

Side character stories are actually really fun.
Harem getting kinda big there. I mean, it's 6 monster girls under the roof and half a dozen round town now, isn't it?

Tomo-chan 256

maybe she might grow more later...

Kingdom 463

A tale of tragedy
rigan vs anka
the man who ruled with kindness met a bitter end by the warring city of Anka

dude went out by sacrificing himself for his people.... +1 for that guy, would be a awesome King

Akagi 282 (caught up)

Akagi. Where to even begin on Akagi. I would say it feels like I just ran a marathon, but marathons eventually end.

Bleach. Dragon Ball. Hunter x Hunter. Naruto. Claymore. Freezing. Hajime no Ippo. All manga that are long running, all manga that have been criticized for dragging and taking to long. That my friends, is nothing. Despite those slow moving series, things continue. No matter how many years it takes, things continue. No matter how much time is spent invading a castle, fighting on Namek or boxing, eventually they all continue. The scenario changes. The fight ends, and another begins. New characters are introduced, old ones come back.

Akagi is different. Akagi is a test of patience. Akagi is what someone would make if they wanted humanity to understand the concept of eternity. Even the longest arcs, even arcs that stop on hiatus, do not last as long as Washizu Mahjong does with very few exceptions. Now Riichi Mahjong matches take a while, that much is true. But you wouldn't expect a single Mahjong match to take over a decade in magazines and not conclude. And of course to compliment the absurdity, this is one night. A few hours at most. Shonen time does not exist. Shonen time is sped up Fukumoto time. And to double that absurdity, Akagi is a prequel to Ten, which already finished. Akagi is still going. Akagi has been running longer then Ten did. The prequel has actually outlived the main work. To TRIPLE that absurdity, there is no reason that the Washizu Mahjong match would be the conclusion. It's obvious Akagi wins and lives because its a prequel, but the story of Akagi is about how he ended up the dark lord of the gambling underworld. Akagi is a middle aged man in Ten. In Akagi he is only 13 years old. If for some miraculous reason the Washizu Arc did end, it likely wouldn't even be the ending. Just imagining this boggles my goddamn mind.

So how does one Mahjong match take so long? First off, Fukumoto is insane. I don't think anyone could create such an entertaining, asinine and hilariously long arc to the level that Fukumoto can. At some point, Akagi just goes off its rocker. Fukumoto is known for his weird and unrelated metaphors but holy shit nothing even comes close to Akagi. I say this is one long continuous match but there is a part where Washizu dies, goes to hell, starts a revolution in hell and fights Oni with a toothpick, punches King Enma in the face, grows massive and swats down helicopters and fighter jets and stomps around Tokyo like Godzilla and THIS ALL HAPPENS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MATCH AND NOT THE ENDING. Other crazy shit I don't even want to explain so I'll just let the pages do it for me happens as well -

wOJo2V0.png

This is a series about Mahjong. I swear. I don't even know where to go from here. Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku? Saki? Fourteen? Yakitake Japan???

If i knew the rules of Mahjong i would read it so bad...

They play a revised version of Japanese Riichi Mahjong and explain how it is different. Don't focus on knowing every hand, combo, phrase, technique or trick because you will just be overwhelmed. You will never get anywhere trying to memorize that. They play a super high level game. Think of it like playing poker for the first time and trying to know every hand there is, except in another language and more complicated. The basics remain the same, a short tutorial and playing a few games on http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html (with tutorials below) and see how far you get.

If not, Kaiji is way simpler.

MCD

Is there any regular time for new One Punch Man chapters? Seems strange that big scanlation groups aren't interested in picking it up.

LeleSocho

Banned
They play a revised version of Japanese Riichi Mahjong and explain how it is different. Don't focus on knowing every hand, combo, phrase, technique or trick because you will just be overwhelmed. You will never get anywhere trying to memorize that. They play a super high level game. Think of it like playing poker for the first time and trying to know every hand there is, except in another language and more complicated. The basics remain the same, a short tutorial and playing a few games on http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html (with tutorials below) and see how far you get.

If not, Kaiji is way simpler.

It's because i read Kaiji that i know i would enjoy Akagi :p
Thanks for the link, will look into it.

Yuki Ni Tsubasa 1-6

A romance drama/comedy with an interesting premise. The boy has ESP -- though he can't do much with it other than float some objects. The girl is a mute. One day he manages to actually use his powers to save her and for some reason she has ESP. That's how they met. My biggest criticism is the art style makes some panels hard to see. Only 6 chapters have been translated but there are apparently over 130 chapters when I checked the raw. Didn't know this was a long series. Want to read more.

Helck 53

WOW Helck arc flashback was really well done and extremely sad. I wasnt expecting that from this series as the beggining was extremely fun and dumb.

The feels man. ;____________;

diaspora

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! CH 257

Christ, she's getting BTFO left, right, and center. Is this karma for the fuckery she tried to pull with Jun in those extras pages?

Zweizer

Banned
Akagi 282 (caught up)

In Akagi he is only 13 years old. If for some miraculous reason the Washizu Arc did end, it likely wouldn't even be the ending. Just imagining this boggles my goddamn mind.

He's 19 by the time he's facing Washizu, but yeah, the length of this arc has been completely insane, yet Fukumoto manages to keep it entertaining enough throughout.

kasane

Tokyo Ghoul re: 65

Does Arima even know what it means to lose? The guy is just too good; taking down an SS rank Ghoul without breaking a sweat. The rest of this chapter was a great setup for the coming battle. This manga just keeps getting better and better.

hes a gary stu so no.

Hes literally jesus in this series

Shouta

DQ: Emblem of Loto II: Vol 21-23

Everything coming to a head finally. It was great seeing Shisa again and seeing Lee don the armor like Kira did was fantastic.It even incoporated Kira's Falcon Sword and Yao's Golden Claw. Dat Battlemaster.

Alos finally getting through to Anise was great too and seeing the Raidein Double and Double Gigadein Slash was sick. All that training with the Dragonlord really paid off.

I saw the Queen Zorma design and didn't know what it was until it was explained in these volumes. It's an interesting explanation for why there are palette swap enemies in the DQ games, lol.

bobohoro

T-REX Na Kanojo 23

This chapter was way too fluffy. Cute dino-kids, headless mascotts and spit-romance can were almost too much to bear.
Almost.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sengoku Youko 74
Unexpected saviour come at the last second! Nope, not that monk who transform into big Buddha wielding a big weapon.
This is too good.

Sesuji wo pin 33

Ballroom youkoso might have better drawing and writing, but this one is great too. It's cute and Yoko manage to draw some great movement. Glad to see it win in NNDx davinci competition. I guess that mean it won't be axed anytime soon.

T-rex na kanojo 23

Cute chapter. I'm sure the dude is "falling" now

bobohoro

Fairy Tail 474

If I disregard that this reveal kinda destroys one of the few emotional and heavy moments in Fairy Tail, it was actually kinda surprising and fun.
And those hips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom