• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
iIJALT2Tml9mG.png

Looks like we'll need an update for 2014.

zeromcd73

Because the real answer is Dragon Quest.

Akito, can you time that chart with Dragon Quest releases?
That and the deeper issue being that Togashi doesn't like work, and knows that he has power over the Jump editorial staff like no other.

When Yu Yu Hakusho was booming Togashi didn't want to draw it any more and wanted a long break despite raking in the money for both himself and Shueisha he just stopped. He let the editors know this but they told him to keep going like they do with every popular manga. The difference with Togashi was that he actually pulled his own work and just stopped writing. That's why Yu Yu's conclusion was so abrupt and it only lasting 19 volumes where in Jump popular series go on for much longer (except Death Note).

He later agreed to do Level-E which was only serialized for 10 chapters a year and it which a massive success, and later Hunter x Hunter which was also massive. The editors can't really force Togashi to do anything he doesn't want fearing that he will pull his own serious like he did Yu Yu. He makes far to much money for everyone involved.

No reason for his illness has ever been stated in all of these years, and he has been seen at several events when he was meant to be on hiatus looking completely fine.

Mumei

Did you ever read Ai-ren by Tanaka Yutaka?

I'd write up a much more thorough recommendation, but I'm short on time.

I haven't. What's it about?

I could look it up, but I might get that more thorough recommendation this way!

You have some rather obscure stuff on that list. I didn't read everything here but from the ones I know, they all ranged from pretty good to excellent.

Bolded what I read and can recommend. Nice selection overall, remember to post about the most obscure stuff.

Yeah, some of them are more obscure (in the West, at least), particularly Last of the Mohicans, A, A Prime, In Clothes Called Fat, Banana Fish, and A Drunken Dream and Other Stories. I found out about several series, such as Banana Fish, through Shaenon Garrity's Overlooked Manga Festival (she's now alternating with Jason Thompson at ANN for articles on House of a Thousand Manga), which are both great for more obscure (and likely out of print) manga.

A, A Prime and A Drunken Dream and Other Stories are both by Moto Hagio, a shoujo mangaka whom I've seen described as second only to Tezuka in how influential she was. Unfortunately she's been very little translated in English; Fantagraphics recently brought out gorgeous hardcover editions of A Drunken Dream, a compilation of her work from the 1970s to the present, and The Heart of Thomas, which was [one of the] earliest boys love stories in manga. Here's hoping more of her work comes to the States. A, A Prime was published by Viz many years ago, back when they were still flipping their manga, and I know little more about it than who wrote it, that FnordChan suggested it, and that it consists of three stories, "set in the same futuristic universe, all linked by the presence of “Unicorns,” people genetically engineered for space travel who now coexist somewhat uncomfortably with other human colonists. The Unicorns are extremely intelligent but have limited emotional and social skills, making them almost autistic. The first story
deals with a Unicorn woman who is killed in an accident and replaced by a clone, who then has to deal with the reactions of the crewmates who knew her predecessor.
In the second story,
a boy named Mori—who is also a rare breed of human, gifted with psychic abilities—falls in love with an uncommunicative and secretly troubled Unicorn girl.
The third story
catches up with Mori as a young adult when he meets and falls for another Unicorn—but this one is a man.
" (thank you, Shaenon)

In Clothes Called Fat is a josei manga, and was an impulse buy that I saw the bookstore. It's only a single volume, and is about body insecurities / self-image issues women face.

Banana Fish is... basically a shoujo manga take on a gang drama, though the only real indication that it is supposed to be a shoujo manga, from the language (coarse, at least under one translator) to the artwork (utilitarian and draftsman-like) to the setting (1980s New York City, as imagined by a Japanese woman) to the plot (I don't know, but I've read that it's quite grounded all things considered and it seems that way from what I've read), is the fact that there's a mostly implied homosexual relationship between the two principals, and that there's somewhat more emphasis on the outward expression of emotions. But when I was reading the first volume, at times it felt like a seinen.

The Last of the Mohicans is the 1973 remake of a manga adaptation of the novel of the same name. It was $5.99 and is nicely oversized. I have no idea if I'll like it, but it looks good on a shelf. :)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
In clothes called fat was somewhat interesting, but harmed by pretty shallow characterisations for pretty much every character.

dan2026

As good as his work is, Togashi just sounds like a massive arsehole.

If I was top brass at Shueisha I would of given him the bums rush years ago.

No amount of money he makes can be worth the hassle and presumably embarrassment for the company.

Raxus

One Piece
Another great chapter. Nice teamwork with Luffy and Law. We should be getting squared away for the main fights and Law's backstory.

Naruto
Congratulations! This series really overstayed its welcome over the past year of shitty twists. I am glad it is finally over. Just need to wrap things up over the next few chapters.

Bleach
Oh god, MORE people. FOCUS!

dramatis

Why the hell is this manga such a big deal? Is its fujoshi game that strong?
Kuroko used to sell 200k per volume, for many volumes before the anime aired.

Post anime, Kuroko sells about 600k per volume, soaring up past Gintama, Toriko, Bleach, and Bakuman numbers.

Yes, the fujoshi game of Kuroko is incredibly strong. Looking at sales numbers of WSJ manga, I can't help but think you need a fairly strong appeal to female audience in order to become a top 5 seller.

Fox318

One Piece

Another great chapter. Nice teamwork with Luffy and Law. We should be getting squared away for the main fights and Law's backstory.

Naruto
Congratulations! This series really overstayed its welcome over the past year of shitty twists. I am glad it is finally over. Just need to wrap things up over the next few chapters.

Bleach
Oh god, MORE people. FOCUS!

Naruto will have another Time skip as we now follow Hokage in training Naruto and his wife
Hinata
as he explores the ninja world trying to negotiate peace with all of the nations and fighting an evil being the likes of with his dimension has never seen.

That's another 800+ chapters.

Raxus

Naruto will have another Time skip as we now follow Hokage in training Naruto and his wife
Hinata
as he explores the ninja world trying to negotiate peace with all of the nations and fighting an evil being the likes of with his dimension has never seen.

That's another 800+ chapters.

Anything that doesn't end with a marriage between the Sauce and Naruto is slight disappoint for me at this point. Kishi has been shipping those two for years!

Shengar

Wait, Naruto is finally over? Will Kishimoto finally write the gangster manga he wanted so much?
He should teamed up with Narita so the story not going out of nowhere

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well, that's disappointing to hear. I wasn't really all that impressed with the artwork, so I was hoping that the story and characters made up for it! We'll see how I end up liking, though.

Kinda hard to avoid it with the way it's written I guess, with it only being one volume, and the story making every character pretty much embody their own psychosis. Still an interesting read just for the subject matter that it explores.

Kuroko used to sell 200k per volume, for many volumes before the anime aired.

Post anime, Kuroko sells about 600k per volume, soaring up past Gintama, Toriko, Bleach, and Bakuman numbers.

Yes, the fujoshi game of Kuroko is incredibly strong. Looking at sales numbers of WSJ manga, I can't help but think you need a fairly strong appeal to female audience in order to become a top 5 seller.

Not to mention that everything for it sells , anime sells over 25k per vol , the music along with the other merchandising sales are good .

Naruto
The end is near , wonder how many more chapters we got left .

Bleach
Nothing i care about .

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
iveq8-e1367787288535.jpg

Hyyyyyyyyyyype.

I think Kishimoto is a very rare case of a mangaka's art regressing over their career. Or he just stopped giving a fuck.

Like Togashi.

Naruto
WylxTQ7.png

Actually enjoyed this chapter, not much left. Sucks that Madara just got spat to die anyways. Also, I hope Naruto's choosing Hinata.

Bleach
Please let this character die next chapter, his attacks are just so so so so dumb.

One Piece
LawXLuffy combo! Doubt Trebol's out.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Himouto! Umaru-chan 69

I wish this still happened to me. Whenever I try sleeping after staying awake all night, I still wake up at like 9 or 10. :(

Naruto

It´s done.

Bleach

I love the design of Pepe´s volstandig. An eye in his wings. It looks nice.

Mayuri is a thieving bastard haha. For a moment i thought it was Rukia who kicked him.

one piece

Very nice.

Kingdom

Aww, i was hoping that Shin will get them both.

UQ holder

Hahahaha

Magi

Finally the flashback is done

Noblesse

Hiatus! No.

HXH

Lol, damn you Togashi.
Nope, Togashi didn't even make his bare minimum of the usual 10 chapters. He only did 9 and also required two breaks to do them too.
Yes, because taking a week off was never in the equation. We bet about long hiatuses not one week hiatus. So me and the other guy won.

Zweizer

Banned
Himouto! Umaru-chan ch68

If only Bomber wasn't so stupid.

Himouto! Umaru-chan ch69

It's nice to see the reverse of ch30. They really are close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom