• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjonaug

So Seven Seas picked up Devilman G, a spinoff manga of Devilman that isn't by Go Nagai that ran in Champion RED a couple year ago. It's not the original manga, which I've wanted an official release of for like 13 years now, but having a Dynamic Pro manga of any kind officially released in English is just amazing. Hopefully they'll be able to grab more in the future.

mdubs

Banned
Tonight I read Forget Me Not 6

51NnB8WoSsL.jpg

This is one of the best series ongoing, and I hope that anyone who enjoys coming-of-age stories will read this one. It's got romance, heartbreak, and does a fantastic job exploring the process of growing up. My favourite series is Punpun so if you liked that and want something that is challenging and difficult at times, you really need to pick up this series, it has just gotten better and better as it has gone along.

bobohoro

One Piece 852

One of the burned underlings look exactly like Jinbei's long lost brother. Scary.
And Reiju setting Sanji straight. Can't wait for the mayhem next chapter. Hopefully with Brook.

Youkai Shoujo 90

Hime reishi union incoming.
And why do mind readers always get beaten by pervy thoughts?

Does anyone remember the name of the romantic manga (more like a shounen) where the MC is an otaku about the eighties and meets a girls who sports an eighties haircut and falls in love ?

Mousou Telepath 1-100
High school girl has the power of reading inside one's mind. It is not as awesome as it sounds, as evidenced by these panels :
That's one of the most popular teenager of the school who has, well, hormone-driven teenager thoughts most of the time. Gentlemen, we've all been here :
Like Tomo-chan it is a 1 page release manga which is quite easy to breeze through.
It is pretty good to show how having telepathy powers would realistically go.
I hope for a dark twist where all this so-called mind reading is really just the MC's delusions

High School 1-7
A manwha about delinquents and what they do best : bashing the shit out of each other's face. It's funny how crazy this manwha starts. Also, most characters have drawn lips.
We'll see if it take The Breaker route ha ha

Ballroom e Youkoso 1 - 10
Standard shounen sports manga with, well, ballroom dancing. Makes me think of Sesuji Wo Pin but with more seriousness. I like what I read so far so I'll continue.

That reminds me of Stravaganza where there's a lizardman who at first glance is scary and barbaric is revealed to be considerate and heroic instead. Then he suddenly dies. It all happened in a span of ten pages of the first chapter and somehow it made lost motivation to continue.

Yeah, maybe it's just a preference thing but one of my biggest turn-offs that I consider to be bad writing is when you are introduced to a character, given a flashback or long-winded summation of their history and emotions and whatever, and then they're just gimped out. It doesn't make me shocked or care; it makes me feel ripped off with cheap writing to try and get a reaction out of me without actually putting in the work to get it. Probably why I think Terraformars is one of the worst written things I've ever written. They don't earn any of the deaths. They don't deserve my investment.

I would have suggested Re:Zero, if anime were an acceptable compromise. I wonder if the novel is as mindbreaking or heartrending as the anime was.

It is.

Youkai Shoujo 90

Hime reishi union incoming.
And why do mind readers always get beaten by pervy thoughts?

Hime reishi better be appropriately overpowered as befitting best girl as well as the strongest individual youkai he has.

Mousou Telepath 1-100
High school girl has the power of reading inside one's mind. It is not as awesome as it sounds, as evidenced by these panels :

It's a fun, quick read and I was getting tired of the main dude's ceaseless horniness but it's started to flesh out with the inclusion of Mana and now with the past couple chapters getting realer than fucking real.

One Piece 852

Sanji you gotta LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVEEEEE

lol

Black Clover

My assumption that the memory for that cult was fake for its minions seems to be bearing true

even her ears are turning to normal after she remembered her real memories

One piece

Something isn't right.

I'm willing to believe that Pudding let Sanji overhear her convo with Reiju and demonstrate her power for a reason. That flashback scene with Lola indicates that she has some motive that isn't totally clear yet.

Shengar

I do actually really like that one of Goblin Slayer's main side characters is a really interesting lizardman who is portrayed as the smart and patient one of his party. Lizardmen are under-represented and often chumped out in everything so him being an actually interesting character and Overlord's lizardman arc being far and away it's best one has me really happy about lizardmen representation.

Nothing better happen to him, he's super cool.
See, this is why we can't have nice things. There's always one or more particular interesting aspect within a manga that have everything else completely awful.
Re:Monster was cool at first but I'm sick and tired of LN dialogue.

Stop writing your manga to mimic books. You have pictures, I have eyes, you don't need to explain things so thoroughly, show don't tell for fuck's sake.

Yeah this too. I dropped Youjo Senki after how dumb it execute its exposition.

cntr

Banned
One piece

Something isn't right.

I'm willing to believe that Pudding let Sanji overhear her convo with Reiju and demonstrate her power for a reason. That flashback scene with Lola indicates that she has some motive that isn't totally clear yet.
Bet on Pudding pretending to be evil so that Sanji would leave.

Haikyuu!! 237

C1-47M0UoAAy6ST.jpg:large

Is that Tsukihina with Goshiki or is that supposed to be Kags, Im leaning more towards the first but...darn artstyle and angle.

Good chapter again showing the strenghts of both MBs on Karasuno.

Asahi is a great vanguard.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 43

When these two finally kiss my heart is going to literally burst out of my chest and run into the streets for a victory lap.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ahh man the One Punch Man webcomic is finally advancing again. That and its always great to see more of King. I'm curious how the show down between him and Atomic Samurai will pan out.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
One Piece Well, as a narrative rule this wedding is definitely happening, the only question is how

Boku Hero Enjoyed parts of it, but then Grape Boy said, "We've still got a lot to learn about this school!" and it again hit me how slow paced this manga really is. Hit me like a bag of bricks. Hound hero come save me please!

One Punch Man (One) The king engine is roaring, it craves blood. Wonder how King is going to get out of this situation.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma

This is starting to drag. We get it, he's sad.

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch852

Reiju for nakama, etc.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch43

While it's cute, the fact that it's a discarder map is a teeny bit worrying.

Custom Maid! ch11

Now I'm in the mood for some burgers.

My Hero Academia ch122

Even in the hero world, connections matter.

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga ch90

Contender for one of the least interesting Satori in fiction.

Tatoe Hai ni Natte mo ch8

Huh, that went pretty smoothly. With the way things are going, it doesn't feel like it'll be a long series.

Shokugeki no Soma ch198

You'd think someone would notice on time.

Arabesque

So, this Shokugeki flashback arc is just weird now, cause it feels less like trying to explain why Azami is an edge lord shity parent and more that it's a cautionary tale for ... Hayama? I mean, there was that one moment when Jou said stuff Hayama said and looked like him a bit, but now we have Senzaemon showing up and giving the same line Gin told Hayama all the way back, and I'm left confused as to why Soma, Megumi and Takumi needed to hear any of this?

The actual flashback does a great job on expanding a lot on Jou and helps give a new perspective into his character, and the struggle and eventual burn out is very relatable, but what place does it have at *this* point in the story?

When I look to the character Tsukuda is drawing the most parallels with (Hayama/Jouchiro), it makes me scratch my head because Hayama didn't end up becoming like Jou. He never got the chance to have such high expectations placed on him, because Azami showed up and told him "either help me expel all your friends from school, or I will make sure your mom ends up on the street" and Hayama went along because he didn't want his Jun to end up losing her job and home. He was blackmailed into being evil. Then Soma beat him and he got expelled.

Jouchiro on the other hand ended up having a nervous breakdown because the expectations from the society he was in was unrealistic of a 17 year old to ever match up to. He tried to find different outlets to keep calm and relax, but eventually it all caught up with him and he just broke down hard.

Not much similar other than they were both talented, but Jouchiro had people be more in awe with him while Hayama had more people to compete with?

When I look into what this explains about Azami ... I guess I understand why when he was first introduced he just insulted every judge and guest in Erina's restaurant/booth during the Moonlight Festival. They were the very same people (like, the exact same) who had pressured him into going further and further with his cooking till he became lost and unable to go on. But that's really just it?

I mean, I suppose there is more to it, but I now worry that the end goal is that it will turn out that Azami wants "revenge" over what happened to Jou, and he's willing to use whatever method to assure his plan to burn everything down to "avenge" the person he admires. Which would make Azami pathetic rather than threatening as a major antagonist.

So, this Shokugeki flashback arc is just weird now, cause it feels less like trying to explain why Azami is an edge lord shity parent and more that it's a cautionary tale for ... Hayama? I mean, there was that one moment when Jou said stuff Hayama said and looked like him a bit, but now we have Senzaemon showing up and giving the same line Gin told Hayama all the way back, and I'm left confused as to why Soma, Megumi and Takumi needed to hear any of this?

The actual flashback does a great job on expanding a lot on Jou and helps give a new perspective into his character, and the struggle and eventual burn out is very relatable, but what place does it have at *this* point in the story?

When I look to the character Tsukuda is drawing the most parallels with (Hayama/Jouchiro), it makes me scratch my head because Hayama didn't end up becoming like Jou. He never got the chance to have such high expectations placed on him, because Azami showed up and told him "either help me expel all your friends from school, or I will make sure your mom ends up on the street" and Hayama went along because he didn't want his Jun to end up losing her job and home. He was blackmailed into being evil. Then Soma beat him and he got expelled.

Jouchiro on the other hand ended up having a nervous breakdown because the expectations from the society he was in was unrealistic of a 17 year old to ever match up to. He tried to find different outlets to keep calm and relax, but eventually it all caught up with him and he just broke down hard.

Not much similar other than they were both talented, but Jouchiro had people be more in awe with him while Hayama had more people to compete with?

When I look into what this explains about Azami ... I guess I understand why when he was first introduced he just insulted every judge and guest in Erina's restaurant/booth during the Moonlight Festival. They were the very same people (like, the exact same) who had pressured him into going further and further with his cooking till he became lost and unable to go on. But that's really just it?

I mean, I suppose there is more to it, but I now worry that the end goal is that it will turn out that Azami wants "revenge" over what happened to Jou, and he's willing to use whatever method to assure his plan to burn everything down to "avenge" the person he admires. Which would make Azami pathetic rather than threatening as a major antagonist.

I sort of agree with this. But as for Azami, I think its not just about revenge. I think he also wants to change the whole system so that kind of thing doesn't happen. I mean if you think about the changes he made to the school, it helps rid the students of the intense pressure that Jouichirou was under to always reach new heights in creativity. Though the result is that under Azami, the students have no creativity and just perfect what he tells them to. And while they may all become great chefs, they can't branch out creatively. Or something like that.

I think this flashback will continue and show how it affected Azami. Or at least it would make sense to do that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I guess the idea is to explain, through Jou's problem, what Azami's actual reasoning is. I mean, yeah, its pathetic - but that's why he does it. He saw how the expectations ruined Jou's career and figured this approach would be "better" somehow, discounting whatever Jou's personal failures were in the matter.

Arabesque

I sort of agree with this. But as for Azami, I think its not just about revenge. I think he also wants to change the whole system so that kind of thing doesn't happen. I mean if you think about the changes he made to the school, it helps rid the students of the intense pressure that Jouichirou was under to always reach new heights in creativity. Though the result is that under Azami, the students have no creativity and just perfect what he tells them to. And while they may all become great chefs, they can't branch out creatively. Or something like that.

I think this flashback will continue and show how it affected Azami. Or at least it would make sense to do that.

That would tie in with what he said during his speech at the start of his deanship. But at the same time, it also doesn't address the issue Jou had suffered from personally, and it sure as hell doesn't justify what he did to the people who disagreed with his methods. Or the fact that he was unable to explain himself or his plans more eloquently. If anything, it seemed he wanted more chefs to end up being like Jou, just when they are hardcore and cutthroat. Look at how he "trained" Erina and blackmailed Hayama. Azami was actively trying to push them to be more and more cold and obeying to his whims, asking them to treat everything and everyone like trash.

Azami seems to want to more or less create a class of chefs who are like what he seen Jouchiro at his "Ashura" state, and the rest who are just following orders and doing the basic stuff to succeed but never break out into being truly successful.

Which is I guess is what I would take from it all, given he went "that was amazing" when Jouchiro went 50-to-1 in that mass Shokugeki. Still makes him a really terrible villain.

I guess the idea is to explain, through Jou's problem, what Azami's actual reasoning is. I mean, yeah, its pathetic - but that's why he does it. He saw how the expectations ruined Jou's career and figured this approach would be "better" somehow, discounting whatever Jou's personal failures were in the matter.

Yeah. What makes it worse that the reason why he decided to hurt his daughter was because of a guy he used to look up to in high school.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
One Piece ch. 852

Just focus on Pudding, Oda.

My Hero Academia ch. 122

Not gonna lie, I'd be super weirded out if someone's face was in the wall talking to me, dunno how Deku didn't throw his trash at this Vault Boy looking kid and run away.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction ch. 41

Why do I feel like that Star Bust shirt is probably something Asano owns himself.

That would tie in with what he said during his speech at the start of his deanship. But at the same time, it also doesn't address the issue Jou had suffered from personally, and it sure as hell doesn't justify what he did to the people who disagreed with his methods. Or the fact that he was unable to explain himself or his plans more eloquently. If anything, it seemed he wanted more chefs to end up being like Jou, just when they are hardcore and cutthroat. Look at how he "trained" Erina and blackmailed Hayama. Azami was actively trying to push them to be more and more cold and obeying to his whims, asking them to treat everything and everyone like trash.

Azami seems to want to more or less create a class of chefs who are like what he seen Jouchiro at his "Ashura" state, and the rest who are just following orders and doing the basic stuff to succeed but never break out into being truly successful.

Which is I guess is what I would take from it all, given he went "that was amazing" when Jouchiro went 50-to-1 in that mass Shokugeki. Still makes him a really terrible villain.

I think the rest of it is that Azami is just not a good person. I mean, he is supposed to be the villain. Probably why he liked the darker side of Jouichirou, and why his methods are not so nice. He has good intentions to try to change the system, but his methods are wrong as he's the wrong person to do it. I dunno. I'm just trying to find reasoning for what could be just poorly explained plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom