• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You've accepted NTR. Now you do.

(But seriously Punpun is fantastic.)

I'm good, I've read Sundome and Boys on the Run, I've had enough of that until I reach the next stage in my life.

Punpun is a different breed.

If you want, you can marathon it along with the likes of Himizu, Farväl Falkenberg ( movie ) and then contemplate
if you still want to live in this world.

iBT8U5R.png

Most of them more or less revolve around this theme. Personally, I think you'll be fine.

I'd rather maintain my upbeat attitude... Thanks for the suggestions though. I've read a couple and there level of NTR is weak at best. Kono especially, the only thing that's made me suffer is when I watched Golden Time and saw the brown haired girl with the protag's best friend in college that he met in ep 1. The struggle and it isn't even NTR.

Thou Shalt Not Die 00-02

Japanese high school psychic soldiers sent into war zones against armed military forces, and a crazy and edgy main character wielding a katana. Oh boy, what have I gotten myself into?

Usobuko

Banned
I'd rather maintain my upbeat attitude... Thanks for the suggestions though. I've read a couple and there level of NTR is weak at best. Kono especially, the only thing that's made me suffer is when I watched Golden Time and saw the brown haired girl with the protag's best friend in college that he met in ep 1. The struggle and it isn't even NTR.

Well, those NTR suggestions weren't for you though because I kinda know what you had read. As for the ones that are actually for you, it seems that you would rather maintain your positive outlook in life although I think that will depend on how much influences fictional stories can have on you.

Yamada 144

This was actually... a pretty good chapter? I actually laughed a bit, the plot developments work. Though clearly Odagiri is going to move onto whatshisface since this og witch girl is now taking up all the time (too bad she's doomed too). This manga would be so much better if he and Shiraishi broke up.

Quixzlizx

Fuuka 49

I was kind of hoping that a random band was going to run onto the stage and start a fight in the middle of their set, but this is even lamer.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Well, those NTR suggestions weren't for you though because I kinda know what you had read. As for the ones that are actually for you, it seems that you would rather maintain your positive outlook in life although I think that will depend on how much influences fictional stories can have on you.

Stories affect me a little too much. I become emotionally invested in them even though I'm not involved in it. Ah, how difficult is life.

Usobuko

Banned
Mob Psycho 100 > One Punch Man

Arataka Reigen's existence is what made the difference. Dude is a comedy goldmine.

Stories affect me a little too much. I become emotionally invested in them even though I'm not involved in it. Ah, how difficult is life.

If I think or I can identify signs that the mangaka is deliberately messing with his audience, then the impact diminishes.

230px-Kiminozo_coverart.jpg

this is what started my dark descent into the decadent world of NTR

man was this a mindfuck. Manga didn't have as much of a bang as anime doe

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

this looks oddly familiar...

Edit:

Also, Turtle, you're starting to scare me! ;_; The world of manga/anime has always been terrifying but to know it claimed a close brethren!
little do i know it has claimed everyone here on this thread.

Today, I remembered why I tend to avoid gaming review threads.

There's always a ton of bitching.

But that's one of the few examples where best girl actually wins.

But that's one of the few examples where best girl actually wins.

to a young, unmolded mind... it was a mindtrip.

of course this would be vanilla compared to the stuff i read today :p

KILLING BITES 1-7

Why do i get the feeling the mangaka saw a reddit thread on how "awesome" honeybadgers are and based a manga on that concept

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

Arataka Reigen's existence is what made the difference. Dude is a comedy goldmine.

I've been pleasantly by your recommendations before and even without having read Mob Psycho I'm finding it hard to accept this statement isn't rife with hyperbole but could you sell me on what makes that series superior to one punch which is, in my opinion, really really good.

Usobuko

Banned
I've been pleasantly by your recommendations before and even without having read Mob Psycho I'm finding it hard to accept this statement isn't rife with hyperbole but could you sell me on what makes that series superior to one punch which is, in my opinion, really really good.

Against Murata's OPM, better usage of paneling leads to better pacing. I find it a chore to read when he indulge in large spread of similar images to emphasize on scale and movement. There's two MC in MP100 and they have good synergy with each other for comedic moments. Think of it as an exceedingly useless fraud in OPM who could abuse Saitama principles in life for his own benefits. I also it's better than the original OPM as far as art and pacing goes. They are both by the same author.

rexor0717

Its been forever since I've read a manga, but I caught up on One Punch Man today. I love everything about this manga. Of all the great things about it, the comedy is probably my favorite. Its constantly making me laugh.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Thou Shalt Not Die 00-02

Japanese high school psychic soldiers sent into war zones against armed military forces, and a crazy and edgy main character wielding a katana. Oh boy, what have I gotten myself into?

From the creator of Drakengard
I won't be surprised if there's incest, rape, pedo, or cannibalism later....

I can't argue with that.
Reigen and the latest arc development is so damn goood!

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| I still don't know the name of the smut manga i saw that day

Oresama Teacher Vol.06

Wait a second! I only made my debut one chapter ago, so why am I already on the cover!? More to the point, there aren't enough main characters! And you're the only girl! You're trying to create a harem, aren't you, Kurosaki?! How despicable! Unfortunately, you aren't my type. Even if the floor in the Ninja Mansion tilts at an 80-degree angle, I'll never fall for you!

Besides the ninja being amazing and sad at the same time, we are finally learning about the whole reason behind taking over the school. It's a bit less dramatic as I thought it would be, but still oh so good.

Revo

UQ Holder 67

This better be in some way tangentially related to the people from Negima.

Can't just go waving that tournament in our faces then doing UQ holder only related things

Tamanon

Banned
Soma

Nice capper on the arc. Good to get some lessons learned and bonds formed. Get your shounen pieces in place for a new arc.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
UQ Holder 67

This better be in some way tangentially related to the people from Negima.

Can't just go waving that tournament in our faces then doing UQ holder only related things

I want it to be Colonel Sanders and Jack Rakan!

Azure J

Soma

It's weird seeing how much I like Kurokiba, Hayama and Soma as a group but can't stand Hayama by himself (seriously, did he need to throw in that "huur guess Imdabes of the first years" line). Also the Yukihira-ma is definitely adding Kurokiba & Alice at this point. Hayama maybe.

Erina still a shit tho.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I seriously don't understand.

This is Yukihara in chapter 4,
Look at this little shitface. Initially, it was a character point that Yukihara's cooking was developed through practical training in a kitchen, which contrasted the "coddled rich kids" stereotype they applied to the rest of the academy. However, that lasted for all of 10 chapters because they quickly introduced a whole cast of characters who worked as hard as he did and had as much reason to be there as him.

Where the hell were the complaints about him being arrogant? Do I need to go through the entire manga and pick out every panel where he challenges someone to a match with a smug look on his face, and comes out ahead? Is it, like, because he's the hero he can get away with being a tit? He has all of Naruto's hubris but with Sasuke's talent backing it up so he becomes an insufferable juggernaut that's immune from criticism simply because no one is on his level.

If Hayama was the star of the manga, guess what? He would have the exact same reasons as Soma to be a cocky cunt.

Like Soma, he proved himself every day as a practical chef by aiding and implementing Jun's research.
Like Soma, he doesn't come from a background of privilege or wealth.
Like Soma, he's damn near invincible.
Like Soma, Hayama doesn't limit himself to one kind of cuisine (like people typecasted him as, it was obviously misdirection). His scientific upbringing makes him a good an innovator as Soma.

They are almost exactly the same except for one aspect. Hayama cooks to validate both himself and Jun. Soma cooks solely for himself. That was the point chapters 103 and 104 tried to hammer into your head over and over again. If you want an analogy, this is the equivalent of a shounen battle manga where protecting your loved ones makes you stronger. By losing to Hayama, Soma realizes he has a new avenue of growth beyond simply "becoming better" as a chef.

This is actually ironic, because Hayama is presented as the lone wolf type yet it's love for Jun that fuels his cooking. Soma is the gregarious dude who inspires and befriends everyone around him, but his cooking is completely self centered.

Turok_TTZ

UQ Holder! 67

Touta can't catch a break anywhere he goes.
Karin, Touta should be the least of your concern.

Akamatsu has been consistently doing 15-16 pages pretty well... I hope this trend continues.

Lain

I seriously don't understand.

This is Yukihara in chapter 4,

Look at this little shitface. Initially, it was a character point that Yukihara's cooking was developed through practical training in a kitchen, which contrasted the "coddled rich kids" stereotype they applied to the rest of the academy. However, that lasted for all of 10 chapters because they quickly introduced a whole cast of characters who worked as hard as he did and had as much reason to be there as him.

Where the hell were the complaints about him being arrogant? Do I need to go through the entire manga and pick out every panel where he challenges someone to a match with a smug look on his face, and comes out ahead? Is it, like, because he's the hero he can get away with being a tit?

He's the hero so you know more about him than about some other character. Soma is arrogant in as much as he has faith in his own abilities because he knows his own strong points and his own flaws. Another character being arrogant just comes out as a dick since there is less attachment, less knowledge. The reader just won't feel them close, unless for some reason they are attracted to that character (be it looks, quirks, traits that make them relate to that character more).

3 volumes in I don't consider Soma arrogant. Putting arrogant fools in their place while keeping a smug face isn't arrogance imo. When he was cheated out by Erina at the start, an arrogant person would have reacted differently. Soma believes in his ability and that's different from arrogance from my point of view, unless he just becomes a complete dick head as the story progresses, but I'm not there yet.

kasane

plus he isn't even that " talented " compared to everybody else there

as his father said he aint even that talented and he only became good because of his perseverance and attitude towards cooking

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
plus he isn't even that " talented " compared to everybody else there

as his father said he aint even that talented and he only became good because of his perseverance and attitude towards cooking

That's just so he can continue to pretend to be Naruto where they act like he made it all by himself and he wasn't super awesome to begin with, despite every single thing we've seen in the entire series.

kasane

That's just so he can continue to pretend to be Naruto where they act like he made it all by himself and he wasn't super awesome to begin with, despite every single thing we've seen in the entire series.

well thats true but its apparent that the others are even more op than him

dani_dc

Hetakoi

I assume it was his jealousy toward asshole vagabond that blinded him and once realizing he fucked up then he tried to wallow in his failure by convincing himself otherwise (that was fucking painful to read due to how moronic he was being, hell his butt monkey friend got annoyed by it and beat the shit out of him) lol

But yea for a dude who is willing to wait or doesn't do shit because he usually can't read it or just chills around going with the flow it was kinda funny that his one moment he completely blew it.

His friend punching him was probably one of the better moments of the manga. If for nothing else, because I really felt like seeing him being punched at that point of time.

He literally couldn't had tried to screw up more than be did. Any simple attempt at communication (including looking at his damn phone) would had solved all misunderstanding.

Against Murata's OPM, better usage of paneling leads to better pacing. I find it a chore to read when he indulge in large spread of similar images to emphasize on scale and movement. There's two MC in MP100 and they have good synergy with each other for comedic moments. Think of it as an exceedingly useless fraud in OPM who could abuse Saitama principles in life for his own benefits. I also it's better than the original OPM as far as art and pacing goes. They are both by the same author.

Mob Psycho 100 also has some pretty good character development which is something OPM lacks (note: only reads Murata version).

I enjoyed OPM, but I felt that Mob Psychho was a whole step above it in every category possible.

Its funny seeing Haly trying to defend curry guy LOL

dude just needs to stop feed on the genre blindness with his fucking arrogance and go with the thing he's actually good at (having someone to protect as his current advantage over the other 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom