• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Ninja Jesus 653
cannot roll my eyes harder

and look, Obito's retroactively a little orphan boy too! what a coincidence

EDIT: really hate that Naruto just *knows* Obito's background without any explanation from Obito. I wish this was handled more like Gaara, where he didn't know the whole story but could still recognize and empathize with his loneliness. Also Naruto didn''t get any flashbacks when he did this with Sasuke, so how...?

Korosenai

One Piece

Figured that Ricky and the Solider were related to Rebecca, but it's nice to have confirmation.
Interesting that Trebol is the one that turns people into toys. Poor Sai, becoming one of those horrid cymbal-monkeys. Hopefully Merlin's around to stop him.
I wonder what King Riku did 10 years ago that lead to the country hating him. His family line sound like good people if they let the dwarves live free.

I did want to see Luffy and Bartolomeo's meeting... next week I hope.

Bleach

Isn't this just Snake Way?
im still wondering how Trebol is the toy fruit user considering the fact that he seems like he has the slime fruit or something along those lines.

LeleSocho

Banned
Ninja Jesus 653
cannot roll my eyes harder
Have you tried this?
1BP0Axm.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Literally everyone is an orphan in the manga. It was a good plot point with Naruto but then he added kakashi, gara, and more and it got old.

In fairness, that kind of thing happens when you live in a military village.

mhs004

In fairness, that kind of thing happens when you live in a military village.

True but when the two main characters are orphans, their teacher became one, Naruto's nemesis then friend becomes one, and Naruto's friend than nemesis is one, now the main bad is one apparently. He kind of over did it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
True but when the two main characters are orphans, their teacher became one, Naruto's nemesis then friend becomes one, and Naruto's friend than nemesis is one, now the main bad is one apparently. He kind of over did it.

You forgot Iruka, Sasori, Nagato, Yahiko, Konan, the entire Sound Four, Haku, Kabuto, Karin, Juugo, Orochimaru, Kimimaro and arguably Kurama.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Fucking Snake Way. Jesus. Every trope possible.

I mean thats obviously the Shounen way of things so that the extended cast gets to fight, but literally just a "whoops forgot to say the fight started 3 hours ago, and we've switched off the teleporter, and heres a staircase" is terribad.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
apologies, but what's snake way? is it the trope where you have to leave a party member behind in order to progress, and they get a fakeout death before they come back at the end of the arc all better or something

Angry Grimace

apologies, but what's snake way? is it the trope where you have to leave a party member behind in order to progress, and they get a fakeout death before they come back at the end of the arc all better or something
It's a straight reference to Dragon Ball.

Snake Way is the road that Goku traveled down to reach Kai's planet after he died (he knew he would be resurrected by the Dragon Balls). It took him ~5 months to go down it and then he was resurrected for the fight against the invading aliens, but he had to go back down the road (the fight had already started). Predictably, he just flew down it in one day, but back on Earth, there were a shit load of fights and people going "GOKUUUUUUUU WHERE ARE YOU!?!" Its basically exactly the same shit that is happening right now in Bleach.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

It's "you have to wait for the hero to arrive." He's ready, he's just not there yet. Gives time for the non-heros to do something.

Snake Way is what Goku had to travel down in DBZ, like these stairs in Bleach.

[Edit] OH WELL FINE

Angry Grimace

I would assume it was a straight Dragon Ball homage if it weren't for the fact that the exact same event occurred when Ichigo was in Hueco Mundo at the end of the Fake Karakura Arc.

mhs004

You forgot Nagato, Yahiko, Konan, the entire Sound Four, Haku, Kabuto, Karin, Juugo, Orochimaru, Kimimaro and arguably Kurama.

Kabuto was the friend that was a foe haha. But you could easily say he was a foe all along. Wow see and the people that do have parents we never see like Sakura except Shikamaru's dad but now he is an orphan himself.

Angry Grimace

Kabuto was the friend that was a foe haha. But you could easily say he was a foe all along. Wow see and the people that do have parents we never see like Sakura except Shikamaru's dad but now he is an orphan himself.

I forgot Iruka and Sasori in that list.

Shikamaru's mom is still alive, as is Ino's.

You guys are totally right about it being snake way

Also why are none of the zero squad going with him? I know there job is to protect the soul king but come on helping Ichigo kill the threat is more useful then staying back in case he fails

I thought they wanted nothing to do with Soul Society. Anyway, if anything it looks like Kubo will just never address Soul King and what not, cant see how he fits into the Yhwach plotline if this is truly the final arc, unless Kubo has other plans.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I thought they wanted to nothing with Soul Society. Anyway, if anything it looks like Kubo will just never address Soul King and what not, cant see how he fits into the Yhwach plotline if this is truly the final arc, unless Kubo has other plans.

Literally no mention or appearance of the Soul King through the end of the manga would be an Aizen-level troll.

:O

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
oh, now I remember that part in Dragonball. Thanks for the replies guys.

Kakashi's mom may or may not be alive, it hasn't been mentioned. We just know his dad committed ritual seppuku.
No, his mom is definitely dead. In the Pein arc,
when Kakashi temporarily dies and meets his father, his father thanks him and says he can finally go meet his mother after he gets revived.

Angry Grimace

oh, now I remember that part in Dragonball. Thanks for the replies guys.

No, his mom is definitely dead. In the Pein arc,
when Kakashi temporarily dies and meets his father, his father thanks him and says he can finally go meet his mother after he gets revived.
That doesn't happen until Kakashi is like 30, she might have died after he was an adult.

Angry Grimace

Well, his father did say that
Kakashi died young
, but not as young as his mother? So that implies she died when he was young

I don't really remember the details of that one conversation, but I never really got the impression Kakashi being an "orphan" was very important to his character arc. It was more important that he grew up thinking his Dad was a horrible asshole instead of a hero.

Naruto 653

TnJ is in full effect.

Practically begging Madara to appear behind Obito and kill him already.

Wouldn't mind if its Sasuke who does the deed either.

Bleach 555

Here comes Ichigo to save the day.

Rukia, Renji, and Byakuya can come later when they have their own moment to be useful.

One Piece 726

None of those reveal were surprising.

And I'm already tired of the Coliseum again.

upandaway

One Piece

@ the color spread: hey!! now we know how Oda counts the members. that means 1 more

Not much else to say, reveals were pretty obvious but they were also presented that way, so it was cool.
And it was really nice to know more about the history. Nothing about the Void Century obviously, but context is always good.

They very clearly left out the whole incident from 10 years ago, maybe too clearly, so it's a given that will get its own full flashback.

One Piece

@ the color spread: hey!! now we know how Oda counts the members. that means 1 more

Not much else to say, reveals were pretty obvious but they were also presented that way, so it was cool.
And it was really nice to know more about the history. Nothing about the Void Century obviously, but context is always good.

They very clearly left out the whole incident from 10 years ago, maybe too clearly, so it's a given that will get its own full flashback.

it does?

Seraph of the End chp 3
BXxJCBVCUAAHbLN.png

Wow they even hugged but that ending reveal. If this really becomes a series where Yu is trying to reach out for a changed Mika and both are obsessed with each blindly, then I think it will be a favorite. The actiony moments and side characters, Yoichi for example, are really good. One of the best starts to a monthly series in a long time.

Absolutely 100% certain. I see no reason to suspect otherwise.

I would even venture to say that everything about that color spread was conceived and constructed with the express purpose of addressing this issue

I still don't see how you came to this conclusion from that spread but I'm happy to listen.

mhs004

Wait if Ichigo is on snake way and this is becoming like dragon ball then it really does prove that Renji is the modern Yamcha?

mhs004

Then Renji should be in soul society getting murdered, right?

He gets close every single arc he shows up at the beginning looking like a bad ass and has cool moves looking like a future rival. He loses to the main character then does absolutely nothing but suck the rest of the manga.

Am I the only one who expects Naruto to, literally, use talk-no-jutsu on the Juubi ITSELF?

"You don't have to be just a mindless beast!"

"I want to be your friend!"

"The Sage was wrong to imprison you!"

One Piece now has more copies in print than Dragon Ball and Naruto combined. Crazy. And now Chopper is in Monster Hunter 4. Oda is unstoppable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom