• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjork

Saw a manga that started maybe a month or so ago, can't remember the name at all: a girl is an artist and dresses like a teenage goth kid, and there's another artist, a lazy looking guy, who lives in an old abandoned bus or an abandoned train car, I forget which. One of the chapters involved doing sketch art for the police after a man stole a purse or something, and the lazy artist guy draws a more accurate depiction than some respected artist who'd done a sketch earlier.

Is this ringing any bells?

Akito

Saw a manga that started maybe a month or so ago, can't remember the name at all: a girl is an artist and dresses like a teenage goth kid, and there's another artist, a lazy looking guy, who lives in an old abandoned bus or an abandoned train car, I forget which. One of the chapters involved doing sketch art for the police after a man stole a purse or something, and the lazy artist guy draws a more accurate depiction than some respected artist who'd done a sketch earlier.

Is this ringing any bells?

Gokusai

upandaway

8HTNr3j.png

"they don't think it be like it is, but it do" ヽ(゚Д゚)ノ

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Koe No Katachi

This is more of a heart-breaking touching variety than adorkable funny touching, but nonetheless it's quite good. About a boy with a relationship with a deaf girl.

The original one-shot was well done. And the chapters afterwards are not bad either. This manga has potential.

Cerity

Been lurking for a bit, guess I'll join in. Going on a shounen jag after playing that naruto game.

Satou-kun no Juunan Seikatsu 1 - latest
Another one of those "Ridiculous main characters that have so much swagger that secondary characters are caught up in their hijinks series". Will keep reading, though these series tend to be a little much for me.

Naruto 570 - latest
picked up where I dropped off, jesus 590-630/640~ were a pain to read. Are we nearly done yet?

Cerity

What's your top 5

Tough.

Aria/Aqua
GTO
Onani Master Kurosawa
Piano no mori
Touch

Probably, and definitely not ordered. I had to look through what I had as I struggled putting together 5 series, it's been a few years since I've been actively reading.

LeleSocho

Banned
Tough.

Aria/Aqua
GTO
Onani Master Kurosawa
Piano no mori
Touch

Probably, and definitely not ordered. I had to look through what I had as I struggled putting together 5 series, it's been a few years since I've been actively reading.

I like you.

Tonari no Seki Kun 37
I would've loved to have such a nice circuit :O

Nichijou 93
Nano's face is priceless

Kurita

Tough.

Aria/Aqua
GTO
Onani Master Kurosawa
Piano no mori
Touch

Good.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Shounen Oujo

I thought this would be some dumb cute boy dressed as girl thing, which it is, but I didn't expect some of the political intrigue stuff. This is some Game of Thrones shit in here.

Premise exceeded my expectations so far.

Aizo

Banned
Tough.

Aria/Aqua
GTO
Onani Master Kurosawa
Piano no mori
Touch

You and I are going to get along just fine.

Antiwhippy

Shounen Oujo 7

HOLY SHIT.

HOLY SHIT.

This manga got fucking real.

This seriously is like "Game of Thrones: Cute crossdressing boy edition"

edit: hmm, posting so many images at once might be a bit excessive.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Everyone, let us follow Cerity's example of posting our top 5 so MangaGAF can judge you.

Mine, not necessarily in order:

Slam Dunk
Ryuuroden
Kingdom --> a new addition!
I am a Hero
Vinland Saga

Sekitou Elegy can sneak in into one of my top 5, depending on how it ends. But for now, the above are my current top 5.

Okay

Top 5 finished that I've read in no particular order

Fullmetal Alchemist
Yu gi oh
Black cat
Yu yu hakusho
Monster

Top 5 ongoing

One piece
Aunt's tits
Magi
Shokugeki no soma
Bleach

Would put hxh and berserk on the ongoing list but lolol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's hard...

Eyeshield 21
One Piece
GTO
Space Brothers
Uh... Punpun

Okay

Top 5 finished that I've read in no particular order

Fullmetal Alchemist
Yu gi oh
Black cat
Yu yu hakusho
Monster

Top 5 ongoing

One piece
Aunt's tits
Magi
Shokugeki no soma
Bleach

Would put hxh and berserk on the ongoing list but lolol

Now judge us, MangaGAF. Are the three of us cool? Hahaha. Of course Kurita, Bass, and myself can judge others too so be prepared, hahaha.

Oops, and antiwhippy too.

Glass Mask
Nodame Cantabile
7 seeds
Solanin
Yokohama Kadaishi Kikou

Not sure of all time, but here's the top 5 most influential mangas in my life. Also, I might as well explain why.

Dragonball - It was the 2nd most popular manga/anime in Malaysia (first was Doraemon, but I thought against of putting it in here since my most fond memories of it is in anime form that EVERYONE bought. There were two bookstores near my school that sold them and the rivalry was so bad both kept selling the books at a huge discount for a while. Everyone talked about it each time a new issue came out.)

I"s - I know many here hated this, but it helped me realise that if I ever was gonna get THE girl, it was up to me to be more pro active about it.

GTO - One of the funniest mangas EVER and probably the first 'mature' manga I read. While it had a lot of stupid jokes, it had some pretty great life lessons peppered in for 15 year old FlutterPuffs as well.

Vagabond - I really loved Slam Dunk, but this manga just elevated into one of the best works in any format. How Takehiko Inoue managed from the first issue of Slam Dunk to this continues to be an inspiration for me.

Apollo's Song - My first classic manga, and it was marvelous. I loved how Osamu Tezuka took a Greek theatrical format of storytelling and made it into a manga. Not to mention creative use of panelling. Then, you learn about his Star System and you realise that the man is undoubtedly the God of Manga. He is still one of the best, ever.

(I'm sad I can't fit 7 Seeds, Slam Dunk, YuYu HakuSho and Otoyomegatari and lots more in there) :(

Akito

Completed
- Touch
- Kodomo no Omocha
- Slam Dunk
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Masturbation Master Kurosawa

Ongoing
- One Piece
- Silver Spoon
- Onepunch-Man
- Shingeki no Kyojin
- Tetsugaku Letra (so fucking slow arghhhhhh)

Vagabond could have been somewhere on that list but the Farmville arc is going on a little too long. HxH and Berserk are not because fucking hiatus.

Something like that.
Still relevant. Thank god Tetsugaku Letra has been picked up by a reliable group since then.

dumbyugi

Top 5 finished
-Black Cat
-Yu-gi-oh!
-Fullmetal Alchemist
-Ai Kora
-Touch

Top 5 ongoing
-Saki
-To Love-ru
-Shokugeki no Soma
-Yotsuba&
-Nobunaga no Chef

Tamanon

Banned
I only read 4 manga currently to begin with! Out of those four, I guess....

1. Shokugeki no Soma - Outstanding newcomer, love the characters and the action.
2. Bleach - Old standby, still quality stuff.
3. Naruto - It's alright, this was has been dragging but looks like we're almost through.
4. Minamoto-kun Monogotari - Smutty, too short, but still entertaining.

Antiwhippy

Shounen Oujo 19

Poor nicola.

Yo guys, you should really pick this up.

Do you political intrigue?

Do you like violent backstabbings and coups?

Do you like explorations of gender equality in a matriarchal society and how unrest can occur due to inequality?

Do you like hot men doing suggestive things to each other?

Do you like crossdressing?

Then you should really pick this up.

I've probably posted like 5 different lists by now, but whatever:

Cross Game
Number Five
Monster
Boys on the Run
Japan Tengu Party Illustrated

bigkrev

Eyeshield 21
Super Lovers
YuYu Hakusho
Tonari no Seki Kun
Yu-Gi-Oh!

Based on 10 seconds of thinking, in no order.

Edit: FMA should be on this list somewhere

I guess mine
1. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
2. Super Lovers
3. Spiral The Bonds of Reasoning
4. Naruto
5. Mousou Elektal

If we extend to ongoing series
1. Konya mo Nemurenai
2. Super Lovers
3. Mousou Elektal
4. Haikyuu!!
5. Shokugeki no Soma / Seraph of the End

Everyone, let us follow Cerity's example of posting our top 5 so MangaGAF can judge you.

Mine, not necessarily in order:

Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk and not Kurobas?!
tumblr_mfgyy0ETmJ1ql09suo1_r1_500.gif

In no particular order:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Everything)
Hunter X Hunter
Hoshi no Samidare
Dragon Ball
Billy Bat

Other notable titles that I love: Shaman King, Medaka Box and Konjiki no Gash. But I'm sure that I forgot something.

And if you never read Hoshi no Samidare(Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer), go do it. Now. Also, go read Spirit Circle while you are at it.

Kurita

Slam Dunk > (or = ) Ahiru no Sora >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kuroko
REAL would be a the top but it's not really similar to these manga.

Kurita

The endless cycle of DTL trolls

We get baited -> We shake our heads/We facepalm -> We get over it -> We laugh at people who get baited

A new troll post appears
Repeat.

Mik317

I don't read as much Manga as I should so I haven't finished a lot bit here goes.

After School Nightmare - shit made no sense but Dammit it was interesting to me.

Pretty Face. It was really funny a lot of times and despite not really ending I feel it did everything it needed to do.

Monster. I remember reading through this is like two sittings. It got messy near the end but some suspenseful stuff there.

Biscuit Hammer. Really didn't expect this to be as good and awesome as it was.

20th Century Boys. I read this before Monster. Convoluted as fuck but my younger self loved that shit.

I think that's about right

Lain

I just read something kinda strange said by an Italian publisher during Lucca Comics and Games 2013.
What they said is:
L'unico mercato europeo del manga in salute è quello tedesco.
that the only healthy manga market in Europe is the German one and, well I find that surprising.
I'm used to all the Italian publishers saying that the manga market in Italy isn't doing well (though they keep upping the number of releases), but I would have thought that the really healthy manga market in Europe would be France, surely not Germany.

mhs004

Late but fuck it

1. One Piece. Would be the perfect manga without skypia. I had alot of fun catching up to this and it continues to be a favorite.

2. Hunter X Hunter. Almost a perfect series if not for the art. Hisoka is my favorite villain of all time and all the characters are greatly executed.

3. Yu Yu Hakusho. I loved it as a kid and still love it today. Yea the ending kind of sucks but besides that it is an amazing manga.

4. Toriko. Yea I know it gets alot of hate here but I really love the manliness of the manga and just how different it is in it's concept.

5. Full Metal Alchemist. Loved the manga and both anime's. Again great characters and action with main characters you actually care about.

Kurita

I just read something kinda strange said by an Italian publisher during Lucca Comics and Games 2013.
What they said is:

that the only healthy manga market in Europe is the German one and, well I find that surprising.
I'm used to all the Italian publishers saying that the manga market in Italy isn't doing well (though they keep upping the number of releases), but I would have thought that the really healthy manga market in Europe would be France, surely not Germany.
Well the manga sales in France are slowing down, 2012's sales were lower than in 2011.
2009 -> around 15 million manga sold.
2010 -> around 14 million
2011 -> around 14 million (but less than 2010)
2012 -> around 13 million manga sold.

I really don't know how the German market is, maybe the sales are growing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom