• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hero Academia 29
B9bE8DcCMAQeDDU.png:large

Such a weird place to start, cause most of these characters werent mentioned in the catch up :/ Oh well I like the electricity guy and the copy power is interesting. But how would he have passed individual tests?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka 50

Still don't care for the battle of bands, but hey Tama's back!

Yuu is a moron for not being able to see through her words, especially since she said in the past she was writing for him.

Have to wonder if she'll join up the band.

I don't think they're planning to replace Fuuka in the band, unless they replace her with Fuuka2, despite the fact that it makes all the sense in the world if the band is trying to "make" it. I think Koyuki is just an unlucky childhood friend.

And its Seo, so of COURSE a famous idol is going to give up her entire career just to get a boyfriend. I mean, okay, that's not something that's out of the realm of possibility for a 15 year old girl, but still.

Hero Academia 29
B9bE8DcCMAQeDDU.png:large

Such a weird place to start, cause most of these characters werent mentioned in the catch up :/ Oh well I like the electricity guy and the copy power is interesting. But how would he have passed individual tests?

The catch up is prety good considering they needed to keep it brief, and there were a lot of characters you'd need to sum up if you wanted to do that as well. Also, the entrance exam was done in groups competing with one another, so he probably copied other people taking the exam in his group. That's part of why Izuku was able to pass, there were secretly rescue points as well as points for defeating enemies. Izuku got no rescue points, but he destroyed a giant trap enemy worth zero points (the idea was to avoid it) in order to save another examinee (One of the girls on his team who has basically become the main heroine. The one whose motivation was flashbacked to this chapter) which earned him a lot of rescue points

Also Kaminari's power has the most hilarious drawback, since if he discharges too much at once it essentially short circuits his brain turning him into a drooling idiot for a while

Zweizer

Banned
Just about, at least looking through Wikipedia.
Take 1997, the year One Piece started.
There were 13 new series, only 4 of them lasted more than a year (granted, one was a post-DB Toriyama series so that's probably not fair to count).

2012:
12 new series, only 4 are still going.

I see. Not a new trend then. I wonder if it's an inevitable consequence of their ranking system.

I see. Not a new trend then. I wonder if it's an inevitable consequence of their ranking system.

It's the entire point of the ranking system. Basically the competition is meant to weed out weaker series, so that the series that survive have a much higher potential to be hits. It's why Jump has so many of the most popular series

Zweizer

Banned
It's the entire point of the ranking system. Basically the competition is meant to weed out weaker series, so that the series that survive have a much higher potential to be hits. It's why Jump has so many of the most popular series

It sometimes feels like an excuse for editors to slack off though.

bigkrev

It's something done in all industries. Just look at Hollywood- there are tons of movies that get big budgets and die a death at the Box office- Jupiter Ascending made less than 20% of it's budget this weekend, Mortdecai went from something the studio was planning to make a franchise to out of theaters in 2 weeks, ect.

No one can predict what will stick with people

It sometimes feels like an excuse for editors to slack off though.
I really don't see it. I feel like it's still in any given editor's best interest that a series they're working on succeed. After all, it doesn't reflect well on the editor if all the series they edit fail.

World Trigger 92
tumblr_njirkjRAYD1s5992do1_1280.png

Fun chapter with barely anything happening. I like Yuma and Midorikawa's rivalry. Someday I hope to see a fight drawn in which both are fighting again and Midorikawa triumphs.

Zweizer

Banned
It's something done in all industries. Just look at Hollywood- there are tons of movies that get big budgets and die a death at the Box office- Jupiter Ascending made less than 20% of it's budget this weekend, Mortdecai went from something the studio was planning to make a franchise to out of theaters in 2 weeks, ect.

No one can predict what will stick with people

I know. It's just that I don't find the ranking system to be the best way to measure a series' viability. Sales are generally a good enough metric. Has there ever been a WSJ series with good ratings but poor sales?

I really don't see it. I feel like it's still in any given editor's best interest that a series they're working on succeed. After all, it doesn't reflect well on the editor if all the series they edit fail.

They're rather inconsistent though, with stuff like Sporting Salt getting an attempt at serialization. Feels like they're telling the readers to judge a series' potential for them.

Gakkyu Hotei 9

This manga is really good. I didnt even expect that that was the person who was the one giving out the magical happy. I loved how everything just ended up coming together and in an entertaining manner even.

Im ready for the next one.
B9bcglvCQAADSNA.png

Jarmel

Banned
Green Worldz-1-60
This is kinda stupid due to how ridiculously overpowered the enemies were. This is essentially an amped up version of Attack on Titan but with time travel and killer plants.

It's a full on extinction event, which is kinda stupid to do if the humans can't fight back in some meaningful way. I mean yes a couple of individuals can draw with these monsters but when the rest of your cast is useless, that's not exactly ideal.

I mean there were a few series that seemed to have potential but in the end they were axed immediately without giving them time to expand. I'm still a bit salty because of Iron Night. I'd say the Editors are a bit rash in what they choose to axe.

I mean instead of Jump pushing Toriko they should of spent that time pushing other series that had potential. 😚

Green Worldz-1-60

This is kinda stupid due to how ridiculously overpowered the enemies were. This is essentially an amped up version of Attack on Titan but with time travel and killer plants.

It's a full on extinction event, which is kinda stupid to do if the humans can't fight back in some meaningful way. I mean yes a couple of individuals can draw with these monsters but when the rest of your cast is useless, that's not exactly ideal.

I liked part 1 better than part 2.

Also I didnt think the cast was useless, I just think one of them was incredibly infuriating and annoying.

I mean there were a few series that seemed to have potential but in the end they were axed immediately without giving them time to expand. I'm still a bit salty because of Iron Night. I'd say the Editors are a bit rash in what they choose to axe.

I mean instead of Jump pushing Toriko they should of spent that time pushing other series that had potential. 😚

Well to be fair Toriko had good rankings when it started, with it staying in the top 5 (though knowing jump who knows how skewed Toriko's rankings were...).

Minamoto kun Monogatari 39 - 67
So far for Terumi's targets we've had a tsundere cousin and a rich girl with a father complex. Next chapter's called A Plain Girl, but I almost sincerely doubt third girl will be anything that could be considered plain.

dumbyugi

Kagamigami 1

I liked this. I mean it's not anything special but it seems like it'll be a decent series. Not a whole lot to say about the first chapter, the arts good and the characters are fun. I imagine it'll be monster of the week stuff for a while but that's fine with me.

Soma 105

Soma and Ryou are pretty amusing together. It seems fairly obvious that Soma and Secretary are going to have to save this restaurant from it's current state. I imagine the solution will require both of them to work together which will end with Secretary in Soma's harem.

Kieli

Soma 104

Was excited that Soma would be globe-trotting... but not with Erina's subordinate in tow. =.=

Kamigami

This is a harmless enough series. I'm somewhat excited to see more, even though I'm not particularly a fan of shikigami stuff.

Toriko

As always, it hits all the right, ridiculous buttons. Knew the crew was way too weak to even begin tackling one of the 8 emperors.

Seraph of the End 30
tumblr_njivhvTTvZ1qbxqfpo1_540.png

I loved this Mika chapter. Hes such a good guy and I liked what he offered. To bad she wanted to not listen and kill herself :/

Oh well, seeing Mika smiling at the end was worth it. I just hope he doesnt get himself hurt or injured going there. I still wonder what he and Yu would talk about upon meeting. Who will defect?

Harsh cliffhanger, I want Yoichi to score a victory.

Quixzlizx

I don't think they're planning to replace Fuuka in the band, unless they replace her with Fuuka2, despite the fact that it makes all the sense in the world if the band is trying to "make" it. I think Koyuki is just an unlucky childhood friend.

And its Seo, so of COURSE a famous idol is going to give up her entire career just to get a boyfriend. I mean, okay, that's not something that's out of the realm of possibility for a 15 year old girl, but still.

It didn't really make sense that she became an idol, considering she went into music in order to play in a band with Yuu in the first place. For her behavior to be consistent, she would've either had to 1. Acted like a normal person and forgotten about Yuu after a year or two of being separated and went on to become a successful idol, or 2. In the unlikely chance that she remained stuck on Yuu, she'd make sure her musical career was conducive to being together with him.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Million no Spell 1

A kid's grandfather dies, and so he goes to his house to look through his old stuff. What he ends up finding is a magical book inhabited by a spirit, who promises to help him if he keeps it entertained, and gives it a name.
Last update: April 1, 2012
Well, there goes any hope of finding out what happens.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It didn't really make sense that she became an idol, considering she went into music in order to play in a band with Yuu in the first place. For her behavior to be consistent, she would've either had to 1. Acted like a normal person and forgotten about Yuu after a year or two of being separated and went on to become a successful idol, or 2. In the unlikely chance that she remained stuck on Yuu, she'd make sure her musical career was conducive to being together with him.

Why didn't she just offer to join his band?

My Hero Academia 29

Oh God not a fucking copy guy, they lose even more often then data guys.

Soma 105

I expect good character interactions between Soma and Erina's Aid.

New arc seems interesting enough. Doubt it will last long.

Having Spice Guy, Dark Soma and Soma hang out makes me feel better about the result.

dani_dc

I don't see them actively trying to replace Fuuka either, but I could see Tama joining in at some point, even in only temporarily. I'll agree that neoFuuka has a better chance in the long term, I'd be surprised if she didn't join up at all honestly.

Why didn't she just offer to join his band?

At this point, I imagine because she feels she lost to Fuuka and has no chance to get back in the game.

Before Fuuka got killed there wasn't really a chance for that since there was barely a band.

Angry Grimace

She didn't even know he was going to be in a band until it was already a band. And she was entrenched in her idol career (which she is throwing away anyway :lol).

Edit: Unless you mean right now.

I meant right now. I mean, if her goal is legitimately just shacking up with Yuu, that seems like the best route there. I imagine she'll show up for the battle of the bands thing.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
At least Viz's Bleach translation didn't say Kenpachi wants to "rape everything in his path".
Makes up for not using "reeks of semen" even though that's clearly what it said.

Soma and Ryou being bestest buddies is seriously the greatest thing to happen.

Needs to forever remain this way.

And I hope against all odds.

That a miracle occurs where Hishoko doesn't join the I'm Going to Lose to Erina club.

Would rather have her gaining respect for him and becoming a wingman instead.

Knights of Sidonia 57-70

Oh hey, interspecies schmanging. Unexpected.

Absolutely loving how nihei is adding elements that expand his previous works, like the energy requirements for the gravitational beam emitter and the megastructure material strength. Really like how he sorta tries to keep all his stories in a somewhat cohesive patchwork megauniverse.

Frog-fu

Banned
Hey y'all, I could use some help. I've been trying to track down some Kingdom manga volumes in the UK but I'm having a hard time finding them. The only ones in stock with Amazon are in Italian. Anyone got any tips?

Lain

Hey y'all, I could use some help. I've been trying to track down some Kingdom manga volumes in the UK but I'm having a hard time finding them. The only ones in stock with Amazon are in Italian. Anyone got any tips?

Are you looking for the Japanese volumes?

bigkrev

So apparently Viz is taking more titles, and providing free same day translations through their app. The first title is Boys over Flowers 2

http://shonenjump.viz.com/blog/posts/free-boys-over-flowers-season-2

I'm not surprised that after a few years of doing it with Jump titles they are trying it with other generas, but am surprised they are doing it for free. Wonder if they are going to grab the rights to some other shojo titles and start a second weekly/monthly digital magazine

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I tried a noodle dish with a soy milk broth the other day after being inspired by Soma.

It did not taste nearly as good as I expected.

Traditional pork broth 4 lyfe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom