• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manly vegetarian food thread..

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Dude, I don't want to get rid of meat. : D
It's just that my current diet is steak, bacon, poultry, chicken, pork or beef with every meal I cook. I also cook potatoes, rice, various veggies and pasta with it. I cook almost every day for over 30 years now, and I think I cook quite well.

I want to mix up my diet a bit, and have a few veggie only meals inbetween apart from my go to Spaghetti with Tomato sauce.

Ah gotcha, I see so many people wanting to change around the new year maybe I didn't read the post closely enough lol.

I still haven't found a good plant-based meat sub (but stopped looking years ago, so maybe something new is out). But since you're not cutting out meat, just cutting down on cow and pig, try replace the ground beef with ground turkey. Def not as good, but turkey burgers, turkey tacos, turkey helper, turkey chili aren't bad. Chicken has also replaced beef for me when I'm at restaurants.

One of my favorites is breakfast skillets. Bake some tots in the oven. Sauté onions and peppers (or your other favorites) in a pan. Scramble up a half dozen eggs. When the tots are crunchy mix them, the veggies, and the eggs in a skillet. Add some shredded cheese, pour some green chili on top and you're good to go. You can also wrap it up in a tortilla for a breakfast burrito.

Last edited:
One of my favorites is breakfast skillets. Bake some tots in the oven. Sauté onions and peppers (or your other favorites) in a pan. Scramble up a half dozen eggs. When the tots are crunchy mix them, the veggies, and the eggs in a skillet. Add some shredded cheese, pour some green chili on top and you're good to go. You can also wrap it up in a tortilla for a breakfast burrito.
Sounds amazing, mate!

Spoog

Banned
I don't think vegetarians and vegan get along. Well at least one is not persistently and annoyingly trying to tell you that he/she is a vegan and how much a better person they think they are just because of that info.

I've been a vegetarian my whole life and I fine the typical 'cliche' vegan as annoying as carnivore snowflakes who can't understand people have different preferences to them so have to cry and shout about how much they love meat. The annoying aspect of both types comes from the same place.

Kimahri

Banned
Did you not read the title? There is nothing less manly than anything with soy in it.

Anywho, it depends on what the definition of manly is. Many women actually find it a big turn-off when a man is a vegetarian/consumes lots of soy. If it's you wanting your proteins, sure you can get it through those sources, but soy still turns into estrogen. Protein shakes, beans, lentils, legumes, hemp seeds. There are various sources you can get your protein in.

There is nothing less manly than thinking eating a damn bean will impact your manhood.

All vegos i ever met ate a lot of factory produced meat substitutes

So how many have you met that are not internet memes?

I find it funny though, that people draw the line ate meat sub, conveniently ignoring all the other factory made, over processed garbage they fill their bodies with.

niilokin

I'm eating some oatmeal right now, Stiff. Just oats and boiled water. Seems pretty macho to me.

You can also make wraps with like a pita, some hummus, spinach, red beans and rice, maybe some dressing

There's also chickpea salad sandwiches

I came to this thread while eating oatmeal, its the best food ever

Cycom

Banned
Since I want to cut down on my meat consumption a bit, but REALLY like salty meaty tastes, what are my options?
I can cook a very good pasta with tomato sauce. With lots of garlic and onions.

Other than that, I feel that meat is missing in each meal I cook otherwise.

So, veggie GAF, give me some pointers.
Bro, you used the word veggie. Can’t help you out now.

Last edited:

Cycom

Banned
Did you not read the title? There is nothing less manly than anything with soy in it.

Anywho, it depends on what the definition of manly is. Many women actually find it a big turn-off when a man is a vegetarian/consumes lots of soy. If it's you wanting your proteins, sure you can get it through those sources, but soy still turns into estrogen. Protein shakes, beans, lentils, legumes, hemp seeds. There are various sources you can get your protein in.
9Tbiwwz.png

Cycom

Banned
I've been a vegetarian my whole life and I fine the typical 'cliche' vegan as annoying as carnivore snowflakes who can't understand people have different preferences to them so have to cry and shout about how much they love meat. The annoying aspect of both types comes from the same place.
True, but vegans are far more vocal and irritating than any low carber/carnivore I’ve ever run into.
I came to this thread while eating oatmeal, its the best food ever
Steel cut oatmeal with brown sugar and maple syrup is outstanding.

Super Mario

Banned
There is nothing less manly than thinking eating a damn bean will impact your manhood.

1. Soybeans

Soybeans and the products produced from them, such as tofu and miso, are a great source of phytoestrogensTrusted Source. Phytoestrogens mimic estrogen in the body by binding to estrogen receptors.

In one studyTrusted Source on soy and those with breast cancer, researchers found that a higher soy intake was linked to a lower risk of breast cancer death. This may be due to the estrogen-like benefits of phytoestrogens.

I mean, I don't know how this food gets less manly than being the #1 producer of the main female sex hormone, but I'll accept your opinion

poodaddy

Tofu is great if prepared properly, people who bitch about it don't seem to realize you can make tofu taste however you want with proper preparation, so they're really just bitching about themselves and their shit skills.

Black bean burgers binded with sweet potatoes or pumpkin are legitimately amazing. Not quite beef, but not much lesser. Try them with avocados, mushrooms, bleu cheese, and an imperial stout, decent scotch( 12 year at least), or dry red like a petite sirah.

Quinoa with beets is legitimately amazing athletic fuel. Quinoa is a complete protein, which is rare for grains, so it actually doesn't need a meat additive, but you can hit it with some jack fruit for that "almost bbq" texture.

Kimahri

Banned

I mean, I don't know how this food gets less manly than being the #1 producer of the main female sex hormone, but I'll accept your opinion

So what's your point? Breast cancer is manly?

I suggest you read up on estrogen in meat and dairy. Just stay strong, okay?

I dont eat any factory produced shit. i eat meat and vegetables.
Good for you, I have my own vegetable garden and cook all my food myself.

poodaddy

Defining masculinity by the kind of food you eat is silly lol

I eat fruits, tuna, and eggs all day and I'm an omega chad
I eat tons of veggies, fruits, grains, meat of all types, SOY, eggs, basically anything good for you, and I lift heavy fuckin weights.

Can confirm that I still have a penis and don't randomly cry when thinking about my father or some shit........
yet.
;)

For those who think soy automatically turns into estrogen, all I can say is that someone needs to get this info to Clarence Kennedy before he squats 900 pounds again. We need to let the lad know that, although he's gotten jacked as fuck off training with heavy weights and has been a vegan for more than ten years, he's sure to actually turn into a soy boy beta cuck any day now per the nutritional scientists on Neogaf.

I don't believe propaganda from any side. There's nothing wrong with being vegan, and there's nothing wrong with eating meat, just fuckin eat and eat healthy. If you lift, eat a lot of protein, ( A LOT!!!!), and don't neglect healthy fat and cholesterol sources as keeping fat levels at a decent level can aid in keeping testosterone high, aiding in total protein synthesis. Red meat and eggs are the gold standard for protein quality, but soy and all other meats work just fine too. Just fuckin eat your proteins, complex carbs, healthy fats, and goddamn lift heavy folks. It ain't rocket science.

Kimahri

Banned
I eat tons of veggies, fruits, grains, meat of all types, SOY, eggs, basically anything good for you, and I lift heavy fuckin weights.

Can confirm that I still have a penis and don't randomly cry when thinking about my father or some shit........
yet.
;)

For those who think soy automatically turns into estrogen, all I can say is that someone needs to get this info to Clarence Kennedy before he squats 900 pounds again. We need to let the lad know that, although he's gotten jacked as fuck off training with heavy weights and has been a vegan for more than ten years, he's sure to actually turn into a soy boy beta cuck any day now per the nutritional scientists on Neogaf.

I don't believe propaganda from any side. There's nothing wrong with being vegan, and there's nothing wrong with eating meat, just fuckin eat and eat healthy. If you lift, eat a lot of protein, ( A LOT!!!!), and don't neglect healthy fat and cholesterol sources as keeping fat levels at a decent level can aid in keeping testosterone high, aiding in total protein synthesis. Red meat and eggs are the gold standard for protein quality, but soy and all other meats work just fine too. Just fuckin eat your proteins, complex carbs, healthy fats, and goddamn lift heavy folks. It ain't rocket science.
Damn, you might just be one of the most sensible sons of bitches I've ever encountered. I tip my imaginary hat at you sir.

Since I want to cut down on my meat consumption a bit, but REALLY like salty meaty tastes, what are my options?
I can cook a very good pasta with tomato sauce. With lots of garlic and onions.

Other than that, I feel that meat is missing in each meal I cook otherwise.

So, veggie GAF, give me some pointers.

I think having to have meat in a meal or the meal is incomplete without the meat is also largely a psychological thing. Its like when i order pizza here in cali and people go "wheres the pepperoni" as if thats what default pizza is. I cook lots of italian meals...but ive been vegetarian for 25+ years. Lots of meals by default dont have meat in them..meat is just an added thing...that people who grow up with it feel accustomed to so when the meal lacks meat they suddenly dont feel "fulfilled" or full.

If youre good with italian, make a nice sauce, include mushrooms in it..make a small salad side dish and some italian bread with olive oil and vinnagrette.

you dont need soy substitutes ( im technically allergic to soy and all legumes)

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
All vegetarians and pescatarians I met in my life are really chill. Vegans on the other hand...

Durask

I tried an Impossible Burger today.
For some reason I had an urge to vote Democrat for a few hours after I ate it. The urge is pretty much gone now.

Top Bottom