• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Many game developers were unaware of the PS4's RAM increase

Vire

4GB of RAM:

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

Come at me bro.

Durante

I think people may be overestimating the direct impact an upgrade in memory capacity has on visuals, when the GPU and CPU stay exactly the same.

i-Lo

I told you I fucken told y'all!

Pretty much my line of thought. However, if there is no significant advantage going 720p given the 3.5GB+ GDDR5 then we are more likely to see dynamic 1080p for a very long time to come.

It's an assumption based off a few things:

• The game has been in development for 2 years (BruceLeeRoy)
  • The segment shown would be undoubtedly pre-alpha footage hence the older code given how playable this vertical slice was.
  • Expect more changes by the time it goes gold (looking how KZ2 went through visual revisions from the time of E3 2007 till its release).
  • The very recent update to 8GB (realistically over 3.5GB for games) being announced and ND's own showing surprise (GopherD).

I may well be incorrect but I am joining the dots.

Thread needs to be updated before any more expectations are falsely risen. Article says "most developers" didn't know. I'm pretty sure Sony's first party studios knew, especially Guerrilla Games who are creating their flagship launch title and showcase for the PS4's potential.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
I'm stoked for the PS4 and blown away by the official specs but honestly I wasn't' as blown away by the actual footage shown.....I get the feeling that developers have been coding with 4Gb of GDDR5 in mind and not 8 up until maybe the last couple months.

fixuis

I have a feeling it is to "compete" with Microsoft in terms of casual awareness.

Microsoft will say, "Our console has 8 GB of RAM," without a mention of GDDR3.

To the average consumer that does not understand GDDR3 vs. GDDR5, they (previously) would have assumed, "Wow, the Nextbox has 8 GB of RAM and the PlayStation 4 only has 4."

Durango has ddr3 not gddr3.. But yeah whatever the reason, 8gb gddr5 in ps4, insanity. If this is launch window games, just imagine what will happens few years down the line. Amazing.

orioto

Good Art™
That's what the leaks said anyway. Sony had 4gigs but was hoping for more. They probably took that out of their sleeve out of nowhere. None of their demos have been devs with those specs probably.

Now.. I somewhat fear the price is too high OR they played poker and they'll realize it's not doable and downgrade before the launch...

Since GAF only understands Console Wars in DBZ power levels, this is a bit like when Goku fought Majin Vegeta and pretended to be at around the same level. And then this is to go one step further beyond:
QZhANXt.jpg

"I'm sorry that took so much longer than the others, I've not had much occasion to practice this one. This is what I call 8GB GDDR5."

So the PS4 can only maintain the RAM for a short time while it's dead?

VanWinkle

Naughty Dog and other texture-heavy devs will LOVE this. It actually scares me to think of what Naughty Dog could do considering what they did on PS3's 512MB.

This may sound goofy, but how will I get parity with my PC?

I am super hyped about ps4, but my pc has a GPU with 2gb ddr5(670) and 8gb ddr3. Will newer GPUs just pack in 8gb ddr5, or will pc users be buying 8gb of ddr5 sticks to put in their motherboards?
Hyped either way.

i-Lo

I think people may be overestimating the direct impact an upgrade in memory capacity has on visuals, when the GPU and CPU stay exactly the same.

If this alleviates things like pop ins then it will be a win for immersion. And didn't you say previously that this means better textures as well?

Personally, I am more worried about the shadow quality. Of course I know it's early days yet but here's me hoping for fix (at least mitigation) by the time game arrives on store shelves.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The reason I'm getting a PS4 is so that I can experience what Naughty Gods and GG Guerrilla can do with it. Hearing that they thought they were only working with 4gb instead of 8 is giving me a boner.

Kerub

Banned
Not sure you understand what this means. It will be 60fps.

Ok, explain why the increase in RAM would be used for a higher framerate instead of improving the visuals. That would make me understand. Not being sarcastic by the way, I'm genuinely interested.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I reckon quite a few MS execs shat their pants when the 8Gb GDDR5 spec was announced. I imagine they are working out how to play catchup.

No way man! Double the RAM means double the FPS!1!!!1!

Serously, I highly doubt KZ4 was running out of memory. The 4GB GDDR5 was already enough for games, it feels like the move to 8GB is more to allow all the OS features. I'm fully expecting 1-1.5GB of RAM locked away (WiiU uses 1GB and not nearly as many features).

Durante

If this alleviates things like pop ins then it will be a win for immersion. And didn't you say previously that this means better textures as well?
Those are two things that are certainly helped by more memory, sure. It just seemed like some are expecting significant upgrades in other areas due to more memory, like framerate, which doesn't make any sense.

Personally, I am more worried about the shadow quality. Of course I know it's early days yet but here's me hoping for fix (at least mitigation) by the time game arrives on store shelves.
Yeah, the shadowing was the most immediately visible weak point in the KZ presentation.

Isn't this also what happened with the Wii-U? Devs only found out that it had more RAM late into production.

So It's safe to expect future games for both systems will look better.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So the PS4 can only maintain the RAM for a short time while it's dead?

Yep, only good for tech demoes and launch titles not even using the full power right now, cant even be contained in a showable box. When it comes to life in over half a years time though, it'll be able to wield this power all day!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Those are two things that are certainly helped by more memory, sure. It just seemed like some are expecting significant upgrades in other areas due to more memory, like framerate, which doesn't make any sense.

Personally I care about texture quality and pop-in a lot more than I care about framerate, which is why this 8GB GDDR5 is pretty big news for me. I usually can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps anyway.

Vire

Yeah, the shadowing was the most immediately visible weak point in the KZ presentation.

Durante, could you expand on what the extra RAM means for games? In what avenues does it help them?

I know you're very knowledgable on the subject.

Salaadin

How difficult is it to just.....add RAM?

I mean, its great that they have more to work with but what does this mean in the way of getting the PS4 out this year, on time, without crazy shortages, and without any major RROD or YLOD-like issues.

They didnt show the system yesterday which means that its not ready. A recent quote said they "hope" to have it in final form for E3. Im just feeling like all this is going to lead to a rocky launch, something they cant afford if the next Xbox launches alongside them.

Im pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff so I hope someone can prove me wrong.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
That much is obvious, since much of the leaks on development kits put the hardware at 4 GB.

Odds are high that Sony decided to double the RAM recently when rumors of the Xbox Next were pushing for 8 GB of slower RAM. This announcement will also likely force Microsoft to bump up the RAM to 12-16 GB or Push for faster RAM or opt to release the hardware cheaper than the PS4.

Vire

That much is obvious, since much of the leaks on development kits put the hardware at 4 GB.

Odds are high that Sony decided to double the RAM recently when rumors of the Xbox Next were pushing for 8 GB of slower RAM. This announcement will also likely force Microsoft to bump up the RAM to 12-16 GB or Push for faster RAM or opt to release the hardware cheaper than the PS4.

This is why competition is great.

And then they showed gameplay... :-(

gameplay looks fantastic, I love Killzone fps cover based style shooter, and now they add some mobility like climbing structure, stealth kill from above and throwing knife melee weapon

weapon looks like it have secondary fire mode now. love it

noah111

Still Alive
Sounds like Guerrilla Games was working with 4 GB of RAM in mind... instead of the 8 now in the system.
I highly doubt that. They are more internal and in bed with Sony, so unlike most developers, they would be privy to that.

That said, if they were mostly on 4GB of RAM (or just in the early stages of taking advantage of 8) that would be fucking insane.

[EDIT] OK, it's possible that GG was indeed working on less than 8GB (read: 4) of RAM after all; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48036739&postcount=1228

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
The larger ram wouldn't necessarily make the game look better, but it does give them an opportunity to make more varied assets and/or larger and longer levels.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It doesn't surprise me thatthey kept this close to their chest. A lot of devs on Twitter and people in the know on GAF were shocked.

Top Bottom