• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Many game developers were unaware of the PS4's RAM increase

Gotta love human beings; "More RAM means better graphical fidelity, textures, bigger open world games, 1080p" "better IQ"

PS4 gets 8GB GDDR5; "More RAM wont really improve graphics" "DD3 is not that different from DDR5" "PS4 won't use all of it anyway"

Just some things i've read around the net.

BD1

Banned
I do wonder how much RAM is going to be dedicated to the OS/System Features. Some of those crazy Social features Sony unveiled have got to tax the RAM some.

Maybe Sony initially told developers to spec around 4GB, just to be I the safe side?

Derrick01

Banned
I think people may be overestimating the direct impact an upgrade in memory capacity has on visuals, when the GPU and CPU stay exactly the same.

Yeah. I don't think going from 4 to 8 instantly means "Killzone at 60fps!!!!". I mean maybe it does, I'm not the most tech savvy person, but it just seems like it'd require a little more than a simple RAM increase to do that.

jfoul

I think the 8gb of ram is sure to stay, but we might see a change in speed to offset costs. I would really like to see both consoles using GDDR5 though.

RaijinFY

4GB of RAM:

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

Come at me bro.

Not running on 4GB GDDR5, much less most likely.

Yeah. I don't think going from 4 to 8 instantly means "Killzone at 60fps!!!!". I mean maybe it does, I'm not the most tech savvy person, but it just seems like it'd require a little more than a simple RAM increase to do that.

It won't, but it would make AI on the same screen increase for example.

itxaka

Defeatist
Are we sure they arent bluffing?. I still remember the 2 hdmi and 3 ethernet un the ps3. Maybe they are hoping to be able to add the extra 4gb before its released? I know people on gaf were saying that i was imposible to mount that many chips?

Either way the more RAM the better Time to see ms answer.

RaijinFY

I'm stoked for the PS4 and blown away by the official specs but honestly I wasn't' as blown away by the actual footage shown.....I get the feeling that developers have been coding with 4Gb of GDDR5 in mind and not 8 up until maybe the last couple months.

More like most footage were from early builds based on old devkit. Also, i doubt dev were working with 4GB of ram, most likely 2GB or even less (at leats concerning the vram). They dont have the final silicon and the rest is still in state of flux.

clav

Are we sure they arent bluffing?. I still remember the 2 hdmi and 3 ethernet un the ps3. Maybe they are hoping to be able to add the extra 4gb before its released? I know people on gaf were saying that i was imposible to mount that many chips?

Perhaps the PS4 OS takes 4GB to do all that streaming and other background services.

I'm skeptical because RAM runs really hot and was a problem for the early Xbox 360 units as literally the plastic board collapses under pressure over time.

It won't, but it would make AI on the same screen increase for example.
No.... that would need an increase in processing power too. AI is a combination of heuristics ( branching and updateable graph weighting as it learns -> processor and ram ). Each entity therefore requires a corresponding increase i. processing power and memory.

Salaadin

I was wondering this too. Has Sony ever released spec sheets and then cut out something major? I know with the PS3, they cut the HDMI and ethernet ports like you said but, as far as I know, they werent major and devs didnt suddenly have to scale back their games because of it.

NotLiquid

Hm, I would be excited but considering the amount of features PS4 offers in it's OS I'm curious whether or not this was a detail they left out merely because of a certain amount of it being locked from use.

RaijinFY

I was wondering this too. Has Sony ever released spec sheets and then cut out something major? I know with the PS3, they cut the HDMI and ethernet ports like you said but, as far as I know, they werent major and devs didnt suddenly have to scale back their games because of it.

If you look at the PS4 specsheet, they are pretty clean, nothing too fancy.

grumble

No.... that would need an increase in processing power too. AI is a combination of heuristics ( branching and updateable graph weighting as it learns -> processor and ram ). Each entity therefore requires a corresponding increase i. processing power and memory.

Is it your opinion that the increased RAM will not have any gameplay improvements, aside from better loading times and fewer loading screens?

Arucardo

There seems to be some general lack of knowledge and a bunch of misconceptions on gaf and everywhere else about how more RAM affects performance. It's most def. not something that magically makes your game look better and run better, especially when talking about 4 vs 8 gb with the kind of bandwidth that GDDR5 has.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Everyone seems to either think the 1st party devs did know or didn't know but there is another alternative. 1st party devs where told that it wasn't finalised and it was likely to be 4GB. The reaction from the ND employee might just be the reaction to the verification that it was 8GB. After all, who would Sony ask to find out whether 8GB would be required for futureproofing? There own devs of course.

yurinka

Perhaps the PS4 OS takes 4GB to do all that streaming and other background services.

I'm skeptical because RAM runs really hot and was a problem for the early Xbox 360 units as literally the plastic board collapses under pressure over time.
You can download games, patches and firmware updates with the console on stand by. Or to purchase games with your Vita at work, they would download and install with the console main system turned off. According to him there is a secondary system on charge of it. We also know that there is also dedicated hardware to code / decode video for the streaming.

So maybe there isn't work needed from the main CPU/GPU/RAM to do such things like remote play or to stream videos or other OS stuff.
It isn't the same to cut a 2nd HDMI and ethernet port than to cut the half of the system memory.

I don't expect them to even attempt to match the power. However, I do expect to be wowed by Kinect.

Is the Kinect upgrade that promising? From what I've read finger tracking has been ruled out.

From the bits and bobs I've read it sounded like it could do all the stuff it could do really well before, only tracking more people at once accurately.

Is it your opinion that the increased RAM will not have any gameplay improvements, aside from better loading times and fewer loading screens?

No. It just wont be magical or anything. More than anything, it means the system wont get bottlenecked waiting for some texture to stream in since you have more than enough memory.

DBT85

Dropping an extra HDMI and 2 ethernet ports is not close to cutting the RAM in half.

They announced it live on stage and put in in the spec sheet. Developers all over the world did a bit of sex wee.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I figured the demos were running on ~4GBs but I definitely didnt think people at frigging Naughty Dog wouldn't even know about the RAM being doubled...holy shit. This seriously must have been a very late change.

I think people may be overestimating the direct impact an upgrade in memory capacity has on visuals, when the GPU and CPU stay exactly the same.

So what benefit would an additional 4gb give to developers/Sony? Will it be used for the OS or utilized in other ways in gameplay?

dEvAnGeL

im just waiting for the meltdowns when they announce the price at E3, i for one will pay up to 500 for the console but many people will never go over 400, i think Sony made a super smart decision with the increase on ram, it future proofs their system and developers wont have more excuses for third party games running like shit on a Sony console

Limanima

Damn, this is a launch title as well. Look at how crappy resistance fall of man looks to ps3 games now.

And some say that there isn't too much of a graphical leap this gen.
The ones that say this are delusional (Patcher, I'm looking at you).

colt45joe

Banned
Jesus, how in the hell can people not see the jump here? Look how crisp everything is, the detail in the rubble and embers on the ground. Watch this shit in full screen 1080p and your jaw will drop.

yeh, and also.. how can some people be saying it isn't in engine gameplay? it still does not look good as the killzone e3 2005 cgi prerendered video.

ironcreed

Banned
yeh, and also.. how can some people be saying it isn't in engine gameplay? it still does not look good as the killzone e3 2005 cgi prerendered video.

Well, it sure as hell looks better than anything on the PS3 and damn good in general for a work in progress launch game. Judging by the hardware, it's no surprise and we will surely be seeing even better.

Spinluck

gameplay looks fantastic, I love Killzone fps cover based style shooter, and now they add some mobility like climbing structure, stealth kill from above and throwing knife melee weapon

weapon looks like it have secondary fire mode now. love it

They should've just slapped a new name over it, maybe people would've been happier to see a NEW IP!!

On a serious note, I liked it. If it has KZ2 online mechanics, day one.

i-Lo

Jesus, how in the hell can people not see the jump here? Look how crisp everything is, the detail in the rubble and embers on the ground. Watch this shit in full screen 1080p and your jaw will drop.

Iwata's Enchantment.

Now available for 349.99 at your nearest electronic retailer.

Maybe this is why they didnt show much. They wanted folks to get the appetizer yesterday and the full meal at e3. They want to give devs 4 months to adjust to 8 gb

Top Bottom