• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marathon is the most viewed Youtube PS Showcase Trailer in 24 hours (more than Spider-Man 2)

Timestamp?
yezz. give a sec. i have to clean my butthole.

cueo2wl.jpg

6:09

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

yurinka

He basically says that the game lacks basic explanation to very important key features and new players will be running around lost, confused, and with bad gear. This is unless that new player decides to befriend someone who is already an expert or do a ton of external research to make sure that they're keeping up with the features of the game. Also they'd have to look up the story outside of the game(especially since a big chunk of it was cut).
When it's Nintendo who does things like this, Nintendo fans say 'it's revolutionary exploration' and 'let the player experiment and learn by themselves' without bloating the map/screen with icons.

When it's Nintendo who does things like this, Nintendo fans say 'it's revolutionary exploration' and 'let the player experiment and learn by themselves' without bloating the map/screen with icons.
Wait, which games? I actually dislike that Nintendo usually overly tutorializes everything. I think that there's a balance to be had and on multiple occasions they swing too hard in the other direction.

Edit: Also on a side note the most disconnected I've seen multiplayer developers ever be, especially the art department, is when they describe the player going through these environments being awestruck and scared of what creepy things are around the corner like it's a Souls game. 9 times out of 10, the people who are actually playing these online-only shooters are sprinting through the map like it's Call of Duty and the biggest jump scare they'll get is the random headshot death after turning the wrong corner.

I feel like the combat designers are the only ones who understand this but won't say anything for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Laieon

Have a friend who is on the Dev team, he was real happy to finally be able to reveal it. Glad to see that people are seemingly excited to play it, even if I'm not admittedly one of those people.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Its the most exciteing game at there showcase. Im buzzing for it, Bungie are 1 of the best at giving us solid fps gun and gameplay. There Halo games are stuff of legend in gaming and Destiny is up there aswell, its just a shame they didnt perfect pvp in the Destiny games.
Im 34 and have seen alot of change in gaming and to me theres more shit than ever, but Marathon is something im excited for, Im not a big fan of battle rpyale but extraction shooters intrest me so im looking forward to this and it seems alot of others are aswell.

I feel like of all the games shown thay should have had gameplay it was this one. I wasn't a huge destiny person, but I really want to know if this could be something I'd be into. But the damn trailer didn't show me enough lol.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Some one liked west world on hbo. Looks interesting, guess we will hear more after destiny is done. Prob not for me since I don’t like pvp stuff. My Tarkov buddies at work seem to be pumped.

Kagero

The art style is phenomenal. I totally missed the detail that Bungie was making this. Automatically shot up to my most anticipated game. I loved Destiny but they do have a retention issue. One thing you can't deny them is that they are masters when it comes to gunplay. Can't wait.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Halo was effective for bungie, destiny was bungie understanding multi platform and these are completely over reactions.

Would've been cool if it was single player or even coop, but PVP is harder and harder for me to get interested in nowadays unless it's just absolutely phenomenal

Eotheod

I don't know how a CGI trailer can truly tell people what to expect from the game, but hey it is neat. Would have preferred knowing more about it, but that wasn't the point of this showcase.
The art style is phenomenal. I totally missed the detail that Bungie was making this. Automatically shot up to my most anticipated game. I loved Destiny but they do have a retention issue. One thing you can't deny them is that they are masters when it comes to gunplay. Can't wait.
The CGI artstyle is definitely cool, but that doesn't tell us what the game will look like.

Last edited:

drotahorror

It doesn't have to. It's from a studio that has a pedigree of delivery with one their legacy and well known in the nerd circles, IP. A cult classic people have been asking about and speculating if they would ever return to since their OG Halo days.

It's a cult classic that returns in the form of an...extraction based PVP shooter? I dunno, kind of disappointing if you ask me. Cool trailer but people claiming the artstyle is nice got me scratching my head. Could be cell-shaded for all we know, a CGI trailer is not indicative of a games artstyle.

SSfox

Minecraft and Fortnite also has millions views. Same with Marvel movies.

Doesn't mean they're the best or that great.

Havoc2049

As someone who has sunk tons of time into the Halo and Destiny series, I'm down for the Marathon reboot, even though it's multiplayer only. Love the look.

Kagero

I don't know how a CGI trailer can truly tell people what to expect from the game, but hey it is neat. Would have preferred knowing more about it, but that wasn't the point of this showcase.

The CGI artstyle is definitely cool, but that doesn't tell us what the game will look like.
Honestly, it’s going to be like all Bungie games. CGI looks good but in-game stuff will look okay, but the gameplay will be great. Art style and graphics are two different things. The art style here looks amazing and I think you can expect that to translate over the the actual game

sainraja

I keep seeing Destiny 2 on the most played games on steam and it's not even a F2P game.
Bungie did something right with it.

Didn't know people talk down on Destiny tbh.
One poster here would mention Bungie and play them down any chance he got (specially after the acquisition, even with the assurance that nothing is going to change about where their IP is published). I haven't seen him around lately though. 🤔 I wonder what happened.

Last edited:
Uhh…why? Wasn’t it just another CGI trailer? Maybe it’s because it’s a follow up to guys who made Destiny I’m assuming?

Last edited:

yurinka

Wait, which games? I actually dislike that Nintendo usually overly tutorializes everything.
In that case it was a joke about Breath of the Wild and how Nintendo fans twist anything they made to glorify it.

As an example, any other company delays a game close to release and are supposed to be a mess, to have a bad management etc. But if Nintendo does it then 'wow, Nintendo really cares about polishing their games blabla'.

Or going back to Breath of the Wild, they act as if Nintendo would have invented the open world games. But aren't capable to mention a single thing invented by the game because like all the other games the main ideas are copied from reference games.

It reaches to the point where Nintendo makes cardboard accesories that even have to be build by the players as something really awesome and revolutionary, a paradigm shift, just to be forgotten a few months later.

FeralEcho

Yawn. I think I'm too old for gaming nowadays.I feel like I'm in a fucking hospital of people with intestinal issues. Its all about that GAAS.

I look forward to the next gaming crash.We all know its coming.The worst thing that happened to gaming was become mainstream.As with all things in life actually,If it becomes too popular it turns to shit.

I've always been confused about this. Sony owns Bungie but Bungie can develop for any platform they want without Sony's permission?
Sony fully owns Bungie. Sony can force them to do anything. Playstation can’t.

But that would be going back on their word. And Sony still needs to make back 1.5-3 billion back before they even start thinking about making Bungie games exclusive.

Bungie is a 3rd party developer/publisher separate from Playstation. Their goals are Fornite/COD.

Ronin_7

Banned
Sony fully owns Bungie. Sony can force them to do anything. Playstation can’t.

But that would be going back on their word. And Sony still needs to make back 1.5-3 billion back before they even start thinking about making Bungie games exclusive.

Bungie is a 3rd party developer/publisher separate from Playstation. Their goals are Fornite/COD.
Close the thread 👍

yurinka

But isn't this an old IP?
Yes, this is what I thought when they announced Marathon.

It's a huge reboot (even if they linked the lore as a sequel, as with GoW 2018), and different to the one they've been working on during many years, so maybe when Bungie and Sony talked about new IP meant a different to Destiny one.

Because they mentioned years ago that they announced that where going to be working Destiny 2 expansions until The Final Shape until around 2024 at least one new IP was planned to be released before 2025.

Last edited:

Elitro

I used to get confused whenever somone criticized an awsome looking trailer because it had no gameplay. Now i am one of those people. The visuals are nice and the music is great, but it means very little to me without gameplay.

Last edited:

rolandss

There was a lot of lukewarm feedback here to that game but I’m genuinely interested. Trailer had a great vibe.

Also sick of all things Marvel, Star Wars and DC. These franchises are being done to death. Couldn’t give a fuck about some stupid Spider Man game.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Minecraft and Fortnite also has millions views. Same with Marvel movies.

Doesn't mean they're the best or that great.
233 million people play Fornite every month. They had 15 million players playing in one day not long ago. Right this moment there are 3 million people logged in and playing.

Some people are really detached from the reality that in 2023 these are the games that are popular.

Top Bottom