• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March '09 OXM - RE5, FEAR2, + Halo Wars reviewed

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
HALO WARS - 9
+ DESPITE JUMPING GENRES, STILL FEELS LIKE A HALO GAME
+ EASY AND ENGAGING TO PICK UP AND PLAY
- MINOR A.I. AND PATHFINDING ANNOYANCES
? WHERE ARE THE COVENANT AND FLOOD CAMPAIGNS?

RESIDENT EVIL 5 - 9
+ AN ACTION SPECTACULAR WITH TERRIFIC PRODUCTION VALUES
+ EXCELLENT CO-OP GAME
- ITEM MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL ISSUES
? WILL EVIL ARISE FROM THE ASHES OF RACOON CITY?
Day 1.

F.E.A.R. 2 - 7.5
+ INTENSE COMBAT WITH WELL-EXECUTED SLO-MO POWERS
+ RESPECTABLE MULTIPLAYER
- NOTHING TO SCARE YOU HERE. MOVE ALONG
? IS THIS GAME TRYING TO SET THE RECORD FOR MOST DEAD-ASS CORPSES PER SQUARE INCH?
What? I guess I pick this up a bit later then...

What's people going on about? 7.5 is a good score. Just hope they've fixed the stupid resolution in Fear 2 PC. Why are there black bars on my screen?

As for it being scary, you need proper sound I think. You need that *SHABROOM!!1* impact. Or it's just...

Alma: "Oh look, now you're looking at something completely different and moving really slowly!! WOooOOOoO!"
Player: "Ok, whatever, go away."
Alma: ":("

Images just appearing in front of you all the time is more annoying than scary really. The "corner of the eye" things are cool though.

Roquentin

Valcrist said:
Props to Bungie for creating such a powerful ip, that there is now a "Halo" feel.
What is the problem here? Some games have it, some don't.

I don't know if the score is justifiable or not, but keeping "Halo feel" is probably really important to fans of Halo FPS who consider buying Halo Wars.

JdFoX187

Banned
Good score for F.E.A.R. 2. I wasn't expecting anything mindblowing, just something to tide me over to Street Fighter IV and ultimately, Killzone 2. Besides, never played the game for the scares. But that gunplay, oh my god that gunplay. Other shooters could take a thing or two from it.

FrankT

Splinter Cell 2009, yes!

Kind of ready for a new GR, but surprised they will get both out this year. Fine with me however.

RBH

Flyguy said:
STOKED 7.5/10
:( I was hoping against hope that this would turn out good.
What's wrong with a 7.5?

laceystorm said:
STOKED

+ FANTASTIC SLOPES AND CONTROLS
+ SMOKES THAT SHAUN WHITE GAME...AND COSTS $20 LESS
- TOO MUCH TRY-FAIL-REPEAT GAMEPLAY; TOO LITTLE VARIETY
? WHY NOT DISPLAY EVERY SINGLE SLIDE, GRAB, AND FLIP IN THE IN-GAME MOVE LIST?
Sounds decent enough.

just read the re5 article...

"live/multiplayer: 2 in co-op and a secret unlockable mode"

"15-20 hours of playtime"

"16 levels"

"underground catacombs that scream tomb raider..."

"two weeks after we finished the game. what's stuck in our minds isn't that (unlockable) mini-game, or even the control or inventory bugaboos. it's the moments. with its powerhouse presentation and slam-bam co-op play, resident evil 5 is chock full of memorable gameplay experiences"

"for those new to the series, resident evil 5 may not be what you expect. it's neither scary not survival horror, and though its story throws plenty of love to longtime fans, you don't need to be one to enjoy it. ultimately it's an action feast for two - with just a little gristle amid all the delicious blood, bone and brains"

FrankT

Nice roundup on RE5. Wants to know more about "secret unlockable mode". "Not survival horror", some may not like.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
laceystorm said:

"16 levels"

"two weeks after we finished the game. what's stuck in our minds isn't that (unlockable) mini-game, or even the control or inventory bugaboos. it's the moments. with its powerhouse presentation and slam-bam co-op play, resident evil 5 is chock full of memorable gameplay experiences"

"for those new to the series, resident evil 5 may not be what you expect. it's neither scary not survival horror, and though its story throws plenty of love to longtime fans, you don't need to be one to enjoy it. ultimately it's an action feast for two - with just a little gristle amid all the delicious blood, bone and brains"
Sounds excellent. The demo got rid of all doubts that I had and this review makes it sound like all the things that I was hoping for are in.

sionyboy said:
RE5

* ++ An action spectacular with terriffic production values
* ++ Excellent co-op game
* ++ Huge variety of environments
* - Item management and control issues
* ? Will Evil arise from the ashes of Raccoon City? (whatever the hell that means)
... Ugh.

Halo Wars

* ++ Despite jumping genres, still feels like a Halo game
* ++ Easy and engaging to pick up and play
* - Minor AI and pathfinding annoyances
* ? Where are the Covenant and Flood campaigns? (In a patch probably)

(Got them from another forum)
Nothing that can't be fixed in a patch. If we ever get one, anyway.

Tom Penny

laceystorm said:

What? I WANT to like this game but what are they doing?

RoboPlato said:
RE4 wasn't scary or survival-horror either.
Resident Evil 4 was mostly tense with some scary bits. Resident Evil 5 gives off the impression that it won't be tense or scary. It's just an action game.

FrankT

PepsimanVsJoe said:
15-20 hours eh? Well that's more like it.

For some reason I was thinking 5-10 and got all depressed.

Gamepro Germany review said 18 as well. Another source I've read said 20 IIRC. That is pretty healthy amount for sure especially with co-op on top of that.

JdFoX187 said:
Good score for F.E.A.R. 2. I wasn't expecting anything mindblowing, just something to tide me over to Street Fighter IV and ultimately, Killzone 2. Besides, never played the game for the scares. But that gunplay, oh my god that gunplay. Other shooters could take a thing or two from it.
Indeed. Firefights are excellent.

But personally I wish there were more melee and dodge moves. Needs to channel more kung-fu and John Woo.

Maybe different contextual attacks. Like if the guy's crouching, when jump-kicking from the back, instead of kicking air above his head, have the character run up his back and curb-stomp him in the back of the face.

Press E to climb over stuff like a boring person, or press SPACE to awesome over hoods, counters and into windows like a totally rad ninja of ultimate power.

Teknoman

U K Narayan said:
Resident Evil 4 was mostly tense with some scary bits. Resident Evil 5 gives off the impression that it won't be tense or scary. It's just an action game.

RE4 didnt really feel tense until you got past the first few sections.

Valcrist

BiasedGamer said:
What is the problem here? Some games have it, some don't.

I don't know if the score is justifiable or not, but keeping "Halo feel" is probably really important to fans of Halo FPS who consider buying Halo Wars.

There is no problem...You're reading my text as if I have some kind of agenda. I have incredible respect for those responsible in making Halo the IP it is.

FrankT

Shawn said:
Has any game ever received a '10' from OXM? If so, which one?

Yea they have given a few. Don't know all of them, but I do know they gave Fallout 3 a 10.

Anyhow I'm not at all surprised by the 9 for Halo Wars from everything I've seen and read to date. It just screams quality.

Jtyettis said:
Yea they have given a few. Don't know all of them, but I do know they gave Fallout 3 a 10.

Anyhow I'm not at all surprised by the 9 for Halo Wars from everything I've seen and read to date. It just screams quality.

the reviewer says that the cinematics are so good in halo wars that they wish they'd make a cg halo movie...like final fantasy: spirits within (but without the suck)

FrankT

laceystorm said:
the reviewer says that the cinematics are so good in halo wars that they wish they'd make a cg halo movie...like final fantasy: spirits within (but without the suck)

I've been saying the quality in the cinematics has been nothing short of awesome and win for a long time, and it seems like more of the previews/reviews I've seen to date only underscore that feeling.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
laceystorm said:

"16 levels"

Somebody stop me, I'm starting to make a mess here.

The 15-20 hour play time and the fuck load of environmental variety have been coming up in all the reviews so far. Awesome!

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Good review scores. FEAR 2 seems like a pick up, finish, and dump title. If it keeps me playing until Street Fighter IV I'll be happy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DexterXS said:
How can RE5 get a 9 when it has control issues? Gameplay (how well the game plays) is crucial in a video game.
I suppose, to the reviewer, they weren't game breaking and still very playable.

How does OXM have any credibility at all? The fact that the word "Official" is in the title tells the whole story. The same goes for OPN and Nintendo Power.

Everdred

7.5 for Stoked sounds about right. I figured it wouldn't get that well reviewed but I'm PUMPED for it anyway. Already have an official thread made up :)

FrankT

Domino Theory said:

laceystorm said:
THE BALL REVEALS A WISER EA SHIPPING BRUTAL LEGEND EARLY IN THE FALL 2009 SEASON, UNLIKE THE MID-NOVEMBER BLOODBATH IT THREW LAST YEAR'S NEW-IP CRITICAL DARLING, MIRRORS EDGE INTO....SPEAKING OF EA IT MAY NOT BE AN EXCLUSIVE DEAL, BUT THE CRYSTAL BALL CLEARLY SHOWS EA GETTING AN MLB LICENSE AFTER THE LEAGUE'S CURRENT DEAL WITH 2K EXPIRES IN 2012....WITH A NEW SPLINTER CELL AND GHOST RECON ON TAP FOR 2009, THE BALL SEES RAINBOW SIX LEAVING LAS VEGAS FOR A NEW CITY IN 2010

Doc Evils

I don't understand how magazines give RE5 a free pass with its abysmal controls and yet slate other games when they have the same.

sionyboy said:
RE5

* ++ An action spectacular with terriffic production values
* ++ Excellent co-op game
* ++ Huge variety of environments
* - Item management and control issues
* ? Will Evil arise from the ashes of Raccoon City? (whatever the hell that means)

DLC?

segarr said:
This issue also reveals a new Dead to Rights from Namco and Volatile Games.
Very interesting, I was a big fan of the first so I hope it's more like that and not the terrible second one. Glad to see they didn't abandon it.

Prine

Banned
God i cannot wait for RE5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My most wanted game this year. Nothing comes close............ soooo far away!!

Im thinking i might play this in single player first because i like that feeling of isolation. Even with Sheva, its pretty tense

Top Bottom