• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Gameinformer: The Last of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

Adventure of Matthew McConaughey? What the hell are you talking about?
Something about Uncharted games apparently been similar to some of his movies (like Sahara and Fool's Gold); topped with how it was rumored that Matthew McConaughey was going to play Nathan Drake in the Uncharted movie....or something. :p

The Last of Us, is looking great. Though I agree that I hope there's focus on actual survival elements (even if it just limited to ammo and food), and not just move from point A to point B and watch buildings collapse and escape hordes of enemies. The pic in the city reminds me of Enslaved, and one of the Enslaved-guys is working on this game.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm guessing from the artstyle that the designer from Enslaved who's working on this had a lot of input. I didn't think Enslaved was particularly good. Second time lucky, maybe.

Bullshit and more. Tomb Raider went off the rails after 2, sure, but it has been back on track for a while now. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is one of the best downloadable games ever made. Tomb Raider Legend, Tomb Raider Anniversary and finally Tomb Raider Underworld are all high quality games, which each of its predecessors getting even better, and the only problem remaining for the franchise being a poor camera and the continued desire to put gunplay on the backburner, so it usually ends up being wonky in the handful of encounters these games have.

It has just incalculably superior puzzles and platforming to anything in the Uncharted series, so it's an insult to even compare the two. The only thing Uncharted one ups Tomb Raider games in is gunplay (well, and graphics of course. it one ups almost any console game there), but as any Tomb Raider fan knows there is usually hardly any gunplay in these games anyway. It's 90% platforming and puzzle solving and trap avoidance. And you can actually die and it doesn't hold your dick like a pussy. But they are so fundamentally different it's just insulting and shows a lack of care in thought.
These are the two issues I've always had with the Uncharted series that have never improved across all three games. The tepid and tensionless platforming mechanics and soporific "match the doodad" logic puzzles are incredibly boring and uninspired. You can only fool me for so long with quips of, "whoaaaa! I'll only get one shot at this!", or, "that was a close one!", before I notice that there's nothing on the line. That bothers me far more than the series' predisposition towards cinematic bombast.

Anyway....

I really think TLoU will live or die by the strength of its AI since they've decided to set about creating a game focused on the tribulations of two characters. Ellie will have to have superior AI in order to retain the illusion of a character worth caring for, lest they want to suffer from a disconnect between the capable Ellie in the cutscenes and the insipid automaton during gameplay.

Further, I hope that extends to superior enemy AI that actively hunts you, and displays varying levels of psychological composure (maybe refine that enemy concept found in Arkham City) instead of getting the vacuous bullet sponges with savant-like grenade tossing skills that populated Uncharted's vistas. The encounters should be sparser but very intense, with genuine risks on the line. I'm hoping for a more "normal hero" who survives through his wits and resourcefulness than the bionically superior Nathan Drake.

Finally, I'm wondering what the crossover between Silent Hill and Uncharted fans is, cause all people do is moan and groan over how shitty breakable weapons are in SH.

Dabanton

My biggest concern is can ND resist the temptation for ott cinematic set-pieces.

I want a survival game in the purest sense of the word long swathes of time with no enemies just discovering and exploring.

Tomb Raider got that balance right as when you did come across an enemy it was always a shocking experience as you had gotten use to the serene peacefulness so that you suddenly had to pull out your guns was always startling.

If the Road is an inspiration for the game i want guns to be a serious last resort exercise for when you have no choice.

I'm hoping that's what ND is aiming for and not enemy encounter after enemy encounter.

And please no bosses.

arne

How about prior to E3?

Frankly, unknown at the moment. We're finalizing our schedules right now - we're trying to take our time and be very deliberate with both releases and what we release so it feels just right and at the right times.

Pranay

Scans are out it seems

TBH the other pics in the mag are much better then the ones which were posted.

Game looks beautiful

Most pics they have shown Joel and Ellie escaping and hiding from thugs, joel is genreally shown fighting using a plank of wood or punching and kicking the thug from the 3rd pic.

They have also shown few pics where they are just exploring the area and also passing through the area from the first pic

My biggest concern is can ND resist the temptation for ott cinematic set-pieces.

I want a survival game in the purest sense of the word long swathes of time with no enemies just discovering and exploring.

Tomb Raider got that balance right as when you did come across an enemy it was always a shocking experience as you had gotten use to the serene peacefulness so that you suddenly had to pull out your guns was always startling.

If the Road is an inspiration for the game i want guns to be a serious last resort exercise for when you have no choice.

I'm hoping that's what ND is aiming for and not enemy encounter after enemy encounter.

And please no bosses.

i guess thats what the games looks like from the scans

xHAASx

Banned
This game looks godly.

Spoilerz: Ellie is gonna die.

icon_e_confused.gif

Temrer

Neo Member
Might just be me (didn't see anyone else comment on it), but I get a real Fragile vibe from this game - I guess it's the whole "nature reconquers" aspect or something, as well as the idea of breaking weapons and scavenging for new ones...

Joel-hit-with-plank.jpg

So why is the zombie checking out the main character's ass? I'm guessing that it's because he couldn't look at that hideous truck texture anymore.

So how are people coming to the conclusion that the dead guy is not a zombie and is a regular guy? Because he's laying down? That zombie attacking Nathan Drake also looks normal outside of the eyes.

So how are people coming to the conclusion that the dead guy is not a zombie and is a regular guy? Because he's laying down? That zombie attacking Nathan Drake also looks normal outside of the eyes.
The people attacked by cordyceps would probably show visual signs, most of the enemies shown in the Game Informer are just regular people fighting for supplies most likely.

Pranay

The guy beating up Joel is a normal guy.

In the other pics [in the scans] he totally looks like a normal guy to me.

Ricky_R

Probably because what we've seen are "zombies" that are completely transformed and humans who seem to be out for hunting.

Going by the reveal cut-scene, we have to assume that those who don't look like hideous monsters with shrooms on their heads, are desperate humans. If they are infected with no reactions yet, remains to be seen.

That's my view on it though.

Pranay

BTW their are military guys as well in one of the pics which i saw but its quite small , so not sure about it, also in one pic a guy looks like Sev from Killzone 2

Loudninja

I didn't care for Uncharted 3 (my only Naughty Dog game). Is The Last of Us expected to be more of the same of that (linear set piece-a-thon)?
No as linear as Uncharted, weapons in this game breaks so you have to be on the look out for more.

The game will have ares you can explore but it not open world.

BTW their are military guys as well in one of the pics which i saw but its quite small , so not sure about it, also in one pic a guy looks like Sev from Killzone 2
I am surprise to see soldiers are still around.

It doesn't even bear a resemblance to a zombie, for my part. A zombie making use of weapons?
...DEAD ISLAND.

Also, lulz at all you guys bagging on the truck texture. You guys are making this sound like Homecoming's "marble floor" water effects or (Wii) Quantum of Solace's "everything".

I'm tempted to go check out the new GI for the rest of the shots. I really hope there's a fair degree of exploration, creeping through vacated derelicts in the dark of night (even better if there were day/night cycles) sounds like it would make for amazing atmosphere. Actually, this game is starting to make me wonder if it won't feel like Half Life 2.

xHAASx

Banned
...DEAD ISLAND.

Also, lulz at all you guys bagging on the truck texture. You guys are making this sound like Homecoming's "marble floor" water effects or (Wii) Quantum of Solace's "everything".

I'm tempted to go check out the new GI for the rest of the shots. I really hope there's a fair degree of exploration, creeping through vacated derelicts in the dark of night (even better if there were day/night cycles) sounds like it would make for amazing atmosphere. Actually, this game is starting to make me wonder if it won't feel like Half Life 2.

Yeah, not cool.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I saw scans. Graphics are dope as hell, not sure why they released those 3 when the magazine has much better ones.

Amir0x

Banned
pretty sure he did.

jett's always just mad.

I, on the other hand, reviewed L.A. Noire, and in my review found it to be something of a 7 game myself. I liked its approach to clue finding and interrogation (sans the over-the-top way the main character sometimes approached people with his questions. YOU'RE A LYING MURDERER BLARGH) and I had no problem with the open world aspect: it was a crucial aspect to building the atmosphere of the era of Hollywood. It wouldn't have been the same game without it, and anyway if you dislike that you can fast travel to your places. On the other hand, there was far too little flexibility in the answers you give, and it allowed close to no freedom in how one solves the case. Its gunplay was middle of the road, and I appreciated how you can't just snipe someone across the way with your pistol and shotgun. You had to use your appropriate weaponry. But still, all this was run-of-the-mill. Not that jett of all people need to be calling out anyone on matters of taste.

Er, not that this has anything to do with LastOfUs. I doubt LastOfUs will have us interrogating hobos. Or will it?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Theres a screen in the magazine where Joel is hitting a human with a block of wood. Everything is so detailed, the lighting, textures on the ground, etc.

Another screen where Joel is getting his face shoved into a fence or something... The facial animations in that pic are F*#$%^g crazy.

jett

D-Member
jett's always just mad.

I, on the other hand, reviewed L.A. Noire
, and in my review found it to be something of a 7 game myself. I liked its approach to clue finding and interrogation (sans the over-the-top way the main character sometimes approached people with his questions. YOU'RE A LYING MURDERER BLARGH) and I had no problem with the open world aspect: it was a crucial aspect to building the atmosphere of the era of Hollywood. It wouldn't have been the same game without it, and anyway if you dislike that you can fast travel to your places. On the other hand, there was far too little flexibility in the answers you give, and it allowed close to no freedom in how one solves the case. Its gunplay was middle of the road, and I appreciated how you can't just snipe someone across the way with your pistol and shotgun. You had to use your appropriate weaponry. But still, all this was run-of-the-mill. Not that jett of all people need to be calling out anyone on matters of taste.

Er, not that this has anything to do with LastOfUs. I doubt LastOfUs will have us interrogating hobos. Or will it?

I've written at large about LAN, detailing all of its many flaws. My problem is that you gave that non-game a positive review yet you keep harping on about how Uncharted "plays itself". You're ridiculously harsh on one series but stupid lenient on a game that is clearly a POS to anyone with any semblance of objectivity.

Not exactly sure why I brought up your opinion on LAN, I guess it just annoys me that you're incapable of calling that game what it is. Garbage. I suppose when you hype up a game for months on and on it's hard to be objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom