• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Community Thread: Anything and everything Super Mario

To me even though I played all 3 Mario NES games previously I have the fondest memories of Super Mario World the most. It is the definitive Mario game in my books.

BD1

Banned
Favorite 2D Mario: Super Mario World
Favorite 3D Mario: Super Mario Galaxy 2
Honorable Mentions: Super Mario Bros. 3; Super Mario64

I am so excited for Mario Switch. There is nothing like a new Mario game. The deeper you get into them, the more challenging, insane and FUN they become.

I'm hoping for a next generation of Mario Maker. "Super Mario Builder" - more options and customization, design levels on multiple platforms (NS, iOS, Android) and then upload and play on Switch.

deleted

Nah.

Super_Mario_Galaxy_2_Box_Art.jpg

64 is amazing, but honestly when thinking about it, I feel like the only thing it really has over the Galaxy games is its movement mechanics.

So THE most important thing in a platformer on par with the level design..

I'd give Galaxy 2 the nodge in Level Design, but 3D movement has regressed since Sunshine to a point where I actively dislike it. 3D World was great in every aspect but the movement. Didn't feel as precise as the predecessors and the MP was a mess despite the good intentions.

I hope Mario improves again with Nintendo not making games targeted for the Wiimote first and foremost anymore. You can see design and button limitations at every step with Wii and Wii U games that could easily be avoided had they not tried to design the game around the Wiimote first.

Favorite 3D Mario: Super Mario 64
Favorite 2D Mario: Super Mario World
Favorite Item: Feather
Favorite line: Wa Hahaha!!! (Wario - Mario Kart 64)

oti

Banned
Galaxy 2 is not only the best Mario game of all time it's also the best Video Game of all time. Everybody who disagrees is a hater and unattractive inside.

One of the best things posted on the peerless Mario 64:

If you look at Banjo Kazooie and Sunshine (in the main stages) you'll notice one peculiar thing: an almost complete lack of traditional platforming obstacles.

Rotating platforms. Spinning blocks. Sinking stands. Ground that slips away and falls beneath your fit. From what I remember of Banjo, it has almost none of this. Sunshine has a bit more, but it's few and far between, and it rarely places a series of them deliberately between you and your objective.

The (top part) of the Pianta village level is pure Banjo. A flat, square grid with a bunch of hills placed haphazardly around the map. No platforming obstacles . Certainly nothing resembling a path you have to take. Gelato beach is the same thing. It's as if Rare and then EAD decided to make a bunch of hub levels as the main levels.

Mario 64 on the other hand is an extremely clever little bastard. Many of the levels are spirals with strong vertical elements. A hilltop. A fortress. A snowy mountain. A tall tall mountain. A clock. It takes a star, and it puts it at the top, or sometimes at the bottom of the level. You've got to work to get it. You have to pass the traditional obstacles the designers purposefully put in front of you on an obvious path. Off the beaten path are opportunities for exploration and hence your other stars.

But, that's only half the story. The tight spiraling structure of a Whomp's Fortress or Tick Tock Clock means endless opportunities for creative platforming. And Mario's mechanics allow you to take full advantage of them.

Mario 64 never forgot it was a platformer. Maneuvering up and down Whomp's Fortress, with its vertical structure and obstacles and enemies which are all trying to kill you, is a lot more interesting to me than meandering around Gelato Beach with its static trees and static beach houses and static mountain path. I still think Mario 64 is the only game to get open 3D platforming stage design correct.

AR15mex

I dunno what it is but every time I play a Mario game on a Nintendo console there something so good that it almost feels magical. My fondest memories in my gaming life come from Super Mario World, Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and so on... some times I'm quite happy that Nintendo stays traditional for their game development.

Stopdoor

I love Mario 64, but the comparison with Banjo is always weird, like people only look at the surface level similarities rather than what both do well. Like, they both excel at different things. Banjo is almost more like a 3D Metroid game in the way things are gated by abilities and power-ups, it's much more focused on exploration, atmosphere, characters, and the gameplay does what it does well without being focused on acrobatics.

There's no reason Banjo-Kazooie needs to be more like Mario 64.

udivision

Oh this hurts. Source?
It is bittersweet, but it was fun to make.

For a video

Why can't people just...

Move on

Actually, I made this for a video about a hypothetical Mario & Luigi / SMRPG game, it's just that Paper Mario is an easier art style for me to work with. I'm not in the "make Paper Mario an RPG" camp anymore.... mostly.

That aside, I wasn't being sarcastic or trying to insult Color Splash. It's a beautiful game, which is why I used it as a source. A lot of the greatness of Mario is found in the RPGs for me.

TreIII

I got this delivered last week.

61PStXQdX7L._SX374_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Good!

Still my favorite Mario comic ever (and this is from a guy who has read and owns a couple of Mario Kun manga volumes, too), and still is has done the most to cultivate my personal views of Mario's world.

Right down to Peach being a badass in her own right and the Koopalings still being Bowser's kids!

Can I just say how much I love official drawn artwork of Mario? I love how 3D World uses that instead of rendered portraits!

super_mario_3d_land___tanooki_peach___toads_by_supersmash3ds-d4goor8.png

95beb0ee78f14762787985fbd8576ae5.jpg

super_mario_real_icons_by_earthbouds-d9gtfeq.png

Is it too much to ask for a 2D Mario like this? All "hand-drawn", much like Wario Land: Shake It. That would be absolutely my dream game!

It is bittersweet, but it was fun to make.

For a video

Actually, I made this for a video about a hypothetical Mario & Luigi / SMRPG game, it's just that Paper Mario is an easier art style for me to work with. I'm not in the "make Paper Mario an RPG" camp anymore.... mostly.

That aside, I wasn't being sarcastic or trying to insult Color Splash. It's a beautiful game, which is why I used it as a source. A lot of the greatness of Mario is found in the RPGs for me.

Oops, my bad then, sorry. I honestly liked that imaged! But I guess it triggered that response, since that's all people talk about when talking about that game.

I love Mario games on NES and SNES. Really love SMG1&2 too, but haven't played Super Mario 64. (only about 10,15 minutes years ago)
Should I play it? I don't talk about graphics, but after playing SMG, will SM64 be an enjoyable experience for a person who doesn't have nostalgia for it?

Man, anyone that poops on Banjo-Kazooie don't know SHIT about video games yo

Nah, it's a pretty crappy game and Tooie is even worse. That post is spot-on. I have my issues with Mario 64 that prevent it from being as good as Galaxy 2 or 3D World but they're mostly technical.

Banjo and Sunshine however...
camby.png

maxcriden

(BTW, to anyone reading this who knows, for NSMB2 DLC, can you play those levels regularly or only in Coin Rush?)

3D run button is a good mechanic, it makes movement precise like in the 2D games. Those two games are amazing and manage to do something different.

Agreed! I really like the full of the precision that comes with the run button. For me the most intuitive and comfortable controls for 3DW were using the Wiimote + Nunchuk a la Galaxy. I was glad they brought that control option over.

Nice thread!

I can't wait for my NES Mini to arrive so I have an excuse to replay the NES games again.

Same here. Well, not arrive, but to go get one, I hope, on Friday. My wife is a huge Mario fan but wasn't really able to get into SMB3, so I think we'll play that one together on NES Mini.

Come on now... Worse than NSMB2? Worse than Lost Levels? Worse than Mario is Missing? Worst than the original Donkey Kong?

Sunshine is a great game with some serious flaws, but there's definitely no case for it being the worst Mario game.

I don't care much for Sunshine personally, but I know it has its fans. With that said, I don't understand the knocking of NSMB2, Lost Levels or DK. NSMB2 has these great tight SMB3-style levels and some unusual and creative level design that differs significantly from the other NSMB games' levels. I think the case against that game has been unfairly strongly made. Lost Levels is brutally hard but not necessarily flawed in any way. And the original DK is a gem. Have you seen the documentary The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters? That is a brilliant film that focuses on the competitive race to get the highest score ever in DK. I highly recommend it.

I played SMB2 (FDS) for the first time this year and each level kinda feels like a mean Mario Maker map.

The spring + wind levels are insanely difficult. I've only played a little of it, though.

I've mostly played Mario RPGs, the original NES trilogy, World and Yoshi's Island. I've played but never beaten Mario 64 and Galaxy 1. I think it's about time I beat 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games.

Yes, it is! Get to it!

You may not like the car mechanics, but 9 and 10 are just oozing personality in their win and lose animations, combined with the great backgrounds for boards and mini games

I'll gladly second this. I haven't played 10, but 9 is the freshest Mario Party we've attended in years. But, I will say that the inherent game mechanics should be toggle-able. Like you should be able to select if you want a skilled game of Mario Party vs. a game of the person in last place being the teacher's pet -- or the Professor Fungi's pet, if you will. ;) Those two players doing worst always get all the bonuses, it's hilariously painful....

"This is as far as you go!"

I still have a soft spot for "Lucky!"

Man, anyone that poops on Banjo-Kazooie don't know SHIT about video games yo

I love Mario 64, but the comparison with Banjo is always weird, like people only look at the surface level similarities rather than what both do well. Like, they both excel at different things. Banjo is almost more like a 3D Metroid game in the way things are gated by abilities and power-ups, it's much more focused on exploration, atmosphere, characters, and the gameplay does what it does well without being focused on acrobatics.

There's no reason Banjo-Kazooie needs to be more like Mario 64.

I like both of what was said in these posts. SM64 and BK are integral games to my childhood but I think this point-counterpoint has fair points on each side. BK is sort of like a metroidvania but also is a very strong collectathon and if you like collecting things t will scratch a gaming itch that SM64 won't. However, I think I've unfairly looked back on SM64 as lacking sufficient platforming so I need to revisit it in more detail because I've skewed in my memory the more recent Mario platformers as having way more platforming than SM64. It sounds like I misremembered that, though. That makes me more intrigued to replay.

As a kid I think I only got 110-113 stars or so, and my sister got maybe 1-2 more than me. Several years ago on VC we played a chunk of the game, don't recall how much, but weren't really into it. I still contend it could use an HDmake, though. I tried the DS version (no thumbstrap available though) and could not get into its controls at all. Didn't give it a ton of time but it really didn't jive for me. I recently got an N64 and am wondering if I'd like it best with the original controller, since that's not an option for VC.

Kinsei

Banned
I decided to take my bests a bit further than just 2D and 3D.

Best 2D Mario: Mario 3
Best 3D Mario: Galaxy 2
Best Mario RPG: Thousand Year Door
Best Mario Party: 3
Best Mario Sports: Mario Superstar Baseball
Best Spinoff starring a side character: Captain Toad

Nah, it's a pretty crappy game and Tooie is even worse. That post is spot-on. I have my issues with Mario 64 that prevent it from being as good as Galaxy 2 or 3D World but they're mostly technical.

camby.png

Everything in this post is
camby.png

...except for what you said about Sunshine, never liked that game very much.

RomanceDawn

Ever since Yoshi's Story when I was in Jr high school I argued that the thing on Yoshi's back was a shell that acted as a saddle. For years I was made to be a fool and driven out of every forum I frequented.

So last year when Miyamoto revealed that during Yoshi's conception he was intended to be a type of Koopa with a shell on his back I was vindicated.

The only clothing Yoshi's are born with are shoes and don't you forget it!

maxcriden

Can I just say how much I love official drawn artwork of Mario? I love how 3D World uses that instead of rendered portraits!

Is it too much to ask for a 2D Mario like this? All "hand-drawn", much like Wario Land: Shake It. That would be absolutely my dream game.

You might like these threads!

Old Iwata Asks: Yoichi Kotabe - The father of Mario art

New Summer Wallpaper from Nintendo reveals Mario's CHONCH status

I'm a huge fan of Kotabe-san's art and similar Mario art, as well. I've been hoping for a hand-drawn 2D Mario for the next game also.

As to WLSI, we have it but haven't played it. I did see a screencap the other day where he's choking a chicken-like enemy. That seemed pretty antithetical to the kinds of games we've played (and loved) from Good Feel otherwise. Is that action of literally choking the enemy common in the game? Kinda got a bad taste in my mouth from the screenshot.

P.S.

tumblr_m85zv0skyN1qhnz7po1_500.gif

tumblr_n9zwmtQz8Z1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

Ever since Yoshi's Story when I was in Jr high school I argued that the thing on Yoshi's back was a shell that acted as a saddle. For years I was made to be a fool and driven out of every forum I frequented.

So last year when Miyamoto revealed that during Yoshi's conception he was intended to be a type of Koopa with a shell on his back I was vindicated.

The only clothing Yoshi's are born with are shoes and don't you forget it!

I always had the same impression. What did people think it was? A shell Yoshi put on like clothes? And, are they in fact born with the shoes?

Stopdoor

(BTW, to anyone reading this who knows, for NSMB2 DLC, can you play those levels regularly or only in Coin Rush?)

Just Coin Rush. I have the 'classic levels' one and the design is pretty Coin-Rush centric, it's not just straight recreations.

camby.png

I can't understand people who can just blanket call Banjo-Kazooie crappy, it's like gah, do you have no love for atmosphere and exploration? I can understand ranting on it for slow movement or something, but otherwise it's pretty objective well-crafted quality.

Is it too much to ask for a 2D Mario like this? All "hand-drawn", much like Wario Land: Shake It. That would be absolutely my dream game!

The newest Mario Party also uses handdrawn stuff this go around, which is cool:

180px-MarioPartyStarRush-CharacterSelect.jpg

200px-MarioPartyStarRush_-LightningBoltHit.jpeg

maxcriden

Just Coin Rush. I have the 'classic levels' one and the design is pretty Coin-Rush centric, it's not just straight recreations.

Gotcha, thanks! Are they fun, though? I heard some of the later ones are exceptionally challenging.

Edit: just saw the rest of your post. That's really neat about the hand-drawn aspects of the new Mario Party. I had no idea. And, completely agreed on atmosphere being off the charts in BK. The OST alone is one of the all-time best.

RomanceDawn

I always had the same impression. What did people think it was? A shell Yoshi put on like clothes? And, are they in fact born with the shoes?

Because of the Mario cartoon it was always assumed it was a saddle. Then of course the first official artwork of Yoshi in Mario World definitely makes it look like a saddle. From Yoshi's island on though the shell kept getting rounder and shinier.

I can't understand people who can just blanket call Banjo-Kazooie crappy, it's like gah, do you have no love for atmosphere and exploration? I can understand ranting on it for slow movement or something, but otherwise it's pretty objective well-crafted quality.

The newest Mario Party also uses handdrawn stuff this go around, which is cool:

180px-MarioPartyStarRush-CharacterSelect.jpg

200px-MarioPartyStarRush_-LightningBoltHit.jpeg

Yess I've been playing it and I love that! Reminds me of these portraits from Hoops 3-on-3 that I loved too

mario_hoops_3on3_poster_by_xsquall_leonheartx.png

You might like these threads!

Old Iwata Asks: Yoichi Kotabe - The father of Mario art

New Summer Wallpaper from Nintendo reveals Mario's CHONCH status

I'm a huge fan of Kotabe-san's art and similar Mario art, as well. I've been hoping for a hand-drawn 2D Mario for the next game also.

As to WLSI, we have it but haven't played it. I did see a screencap the other day where he's choking a chicken-like enemy. That seemed pretty antithetical to the kinds of games we've played (and loved) from Good Feel otherwise. Is that action of literally choking the enemy common in the game? Kinda got a bad taste in my mouth from the screenshot.
Ooh, i'll check these threads!

On Wario though, I'm not sure the screencap, but that's probably his grabbing animation, the one that's present on every Wario Land game to date. On this game you can shake enemies too, but it's not really as graphic as choking (but Wario is usually pretty ruthless).

TrueBlue

One thing I hope that Super Mario Switch keeps is the multitude of playable characters.

That we saw the game apparently being played with multiple people in the Switch trailer gives me hope.

maxcriden

Because of the Mario cartoon it was always assumed it was a saddle. Then of course the first official artwork of Yoshi in Mario World definitely makes it look like a saddle. From Yoshi's island on though the shell kept getting rounder and shinier.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the info. I was only introduced to Yoshi in gaming probably with SM64, and I didn't even get to see him in the game, so... now I'm trying to think what game I really would have played with him first... probably SMA2...
597px-Box_NA_-_Super_Mario_World_Super_Mario_Advance_2.png

I guess the shell is kinda saddle-like there but I must've seen plenty of Yoshi art just growing up as a Nintendo fan to cement the shell idea in my mind from the jump. The idea of the shell not being part of Yoshi is just confusing to me inherently. :)

Oh, and I still want to know how you know they're born with socks! ;)

Ooh, i'll check these threads!

On Wario though, I'm not sure the screencap, but that's probably his grabbing animation, the one that's present on every Wario Land game to date. On this game you can shake enemies too, but it's not really as graphic as choking (but Wario is usually pretty ruthless).

Ah, I see. Thank you. So when he grabs the chicken enemy it's not by the neck? It's the grabbing by the neck I found especially disquieting. Wario as you said tends to be pretty ruthless in general so him just shaking the enemies I suppose I never gave much thought so, even though it isn't the kindest attack. Oh! And, I never saw that art from 3-on-3, thank you! Great to see that.

Nobody is preventing you from liking it but for someone who values tight, creative and challenging design first in a platformer and puts "atmosphere and exploration" very low on their list, Banjo doesn't offer much to enjoy.

Ah, I see. Thank you. So when he grabs the chicken enemy it's not by the neck? It's the grabbing by the neck I found especially disquieting. Wario as you said tends to be pretty ruthless in general so him just shaking the enemies I suppose I never gave much thought so, even though it isn't the kindest attack. Oh! And, I never saw that art from 3-on-3, thank you! Great to see that.

Hmm I don't actually remember the enemy, so it may actually be by the neck, but the animation used is the same as every other enemy. But yeah I'm looking at a screen of him shaking it and I guess it does look a bit like choking

maxcriden

Hmm I don't actually remember the enemy, so it may actually be by the neck, but the animation used is the same as every other enemy. But yeah I'm looking at a screen of him shaking it and I guess it does look a bit like choking

Ah, ok. Thanks for checking. Is that the only enemy like that?

Great thread idea. The original Supet Mario Bros was my first video game, so Mario means a lot to me.

Best 2D Mario: Super Mario Bros
Best 3D Mario: Super Mario 3D World
Best powerup: Cat Suit
Best quote: Sorry, but our princess is in another castle
Best character: Luigi

So THE most important thing in a platformer on par with the level design..

Well, as you say, level design is just as important (if not more so, great mechanics only really matter if the levels / challenges you go through push them, in any genre). 64 is an amazing-feeling game but it mainly shines when you're off on your own screwing around or finding alternate ways to complete objectives. The Galaxy games and 3D World do a better job of keeping you entertained when you're en route to your main objective, in that sense they have better level design and I'd say that closes the gap.

Adam_802

Sunshine is an underrated and under appreciated masterpiece. Best 3D Mario imo. Best locations, best music, best camera/controls by FAR, and best vibes! Galaxy really sucked. Yeah seriously. Was SO let down by it after sunshine was so great.

Stopdoor

Gotcha, thanks! Are they fun, though? I heard some of the later ones are exceptionally challenging.

Well, it depends if you have any fun with Coin Rush really. I only played the Classic set because the overall price adds up to a silly amount, so I just went with the easy choice. I thought it was worth the money for the one set, maybe give that a try and see if you like it.

Nobody is preventing you from liking it but for someone who values tight, creative and challenging design first in a platformer and puts "atmosphere and exploration" very low on their list, Banjo doesn't offer much to enjoy.

I can understand liking Mario 64 for different reasons than Banjo, and I know you mean it in different contexts, but it's hard to accept the implication Banjo isn't tight, creative, or challenging.

It's not a really a total refute of your argument, but I just collected these links for those who've never seen these maps drawn up by the designer of Banjo-Kazooie. I'd call those designs tight and creative, but I dunno - maybe it will at least give some people appreciation for the game designers. The last one shows the thought and care put into the controls of Banjo-Kazooie - it doesn't have the physics of Mario, but it's easy to see they made this game with a focused plan and succeeded at what they wanted to do.

https://twitter.com/Ghoulyboy/status/618132770393575424
https://twitter.com/Ghoulyboy/status/618933233401528320
https://twitter.com/Ghoulyboy/status/620308463651024896
https://twitter.com/Ghoulyboy/status/616347385392988160
https://twitter.com/Ghoulyboy/status/614540600663220224
https://twitter.com/Ghoulyboy/status/614181120146587648
https://twitter.com/Ghoulyboy/status/613108409047642112
https://twitter.com/Ghoulyboy/status/625023081711542272

My stance on 3D platformer controls: as long as the game doesn't feel like total shit to play, it's fine even if its not as intricate at Mario 64. Sure, Banjo and Mario Galaxy don't control quite as well as SM64, but the controls and mechanics they do have work and are fine as they are.

Sunshine has really nice snappy controls, the closest Nintendo's ever gotten to replicating the feeling of Mario 64's movement, but it doesn't really save that game for me unfortunately.

PillarEN

Hello fellow Mario fans.

Long time fan. Starting with Super Mario World and Super Mario Land. Not sure if my family got the SNES or fat ass Game Boy first. Either way from the time I can remember I was playing Super Mario games.

Favorite is Super Mario Bros. 3.

Out of the 3D games my favorite is Galaxy 1.

Last Mario game I played was 3D World. Excellent game.

Biggest title I have not played is Super Mario 64. Don't like Wii U emulation so sadly that day will have to wait.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm absolutely astounded by people saying Mario 64 controls well, let alone as well as modern Mario games. The camera alone makes it a complete bitch to play, and general movement just isn't anywhere near as tight as it should be. It's a very tough game to play simply because of the way the camera and controls are. Particularly the camera. I can give it leeway because it was the first proper 3D platformer, but that doesn't mean I'm going to say it's still controls well today.

maxcriden

Well, it depends if you have any fun with Coin Rush really. I only played the Classic set because the overall price adds up to a silly amount, so I just went with the easy choice. I thought it was worth the money for the one set, maybe give that a try and see if you like it.

Yeah, they are quite pricy! Thanks for the info. I don't remember if I already got all the Star Coins in the game. If not, I'll do that first. If so, I'll try out a DLC pack as you suggested as my next foray into the game. :)

I'm absolutely astounded by people saying Mario 64 controls well, let alone as well as modern Mario games. The camera alone makes it a complete bitch to play, and general movement just isn't anywhere near as tight as it should be. It's a very tough game to play simply because of the way the camera and controls are. Particularly the camera. I can give it leeway because it was the first proper 3D platformer, but that doesn't mean I'm going to say it's still controls well today.

The camera in the game is very clunky. I completely agree with you. With that said, the general movement I think is what a lot of people like in an open world platformer. As you said it's not terribly tight. Mario himself is very loosey-goosey. But I think people who are big fans of Mario 64 like looser platforming controls that lend themselves less to tight platforming and more to creative exploration. I'm in the camp, with you, that prefers tighter controls and values camera over many other aspects; my only point is that I think the looseness of the SM64 controls is seen as a virtue by its fans.

Stopdoor

Well, I wouldn't call the camera a showstopper, I can't really remember being that frustrated with it outside of small incidents.

The praise for Super Mario 64's controls can be easily seen in speedruns - the flexibility Mario has and the moves he can pull off just can't be done in any other Mario game or many other 3D platformers. You can really feel the sluggishness in Galaxy if you play it right after Mario 64 or Sunshine.

Not just that, it's 30 fps with dips to boot, lower if you're on a PAL console.

Best 3D game: Super Mario 3D World
Best 2D game: SMB3 (overall); NSMBU (platforming and level design)
Best power up: Tanooki with the statue ability
Best 3D level: Champion's Road from Super Mario 3D World
Best 2D level: That fast flying ship level in World 8 of SMB3

Those are just some of my favorites, but man, Mario is through and through one of the best and most consistent franchises in the video games.

A Mario community thread makes so much sense. Wonder why it hasn't been done recently?

Mario Galaxy 2 is the 3D platformer GOAT.

spookyfish

Awesome! I think there should be a thread based on a character that pretty much makes me buy a whole new console.

Subscribed!

Best:

2D: It's hard to choose, but Super Mario World.
3D: Nostalgia goggles: Super Mario 64. Mechanics: Galaxy 2.
Power Up: Love the Hammer Bros. suit
Best 2D level: The continuous airship level in SMB3.

Top Bottom