• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: Super Rush early review scores

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What i wanted for Mario Tennis.
a good RPG mode like the gbc version ..

Nintendo

2-28878_meme-vector-yao-ming-laughing-face-meme-transparent.png

What i wanted for Mario golf.
a good RPG mode like the gbc..

Nintendo

2-28878_meme-vector-yao-ming-laughing-face-meme-transparent.png

Fuck it i'm out

TheBomb

Nintendo giving third parties to devolop this games is probally the reason. TI have no prove. They are probably using their time for other projects.

tmlDan

Nintendo giving third parties to devolop this games is probally the reason. TI have no prove. They are probably using their time for other projects.
What do you expect? they don't expand their studios, they don't buy many studios and they are stuck in a constant rut with no resources despite making obscene profit on the switch.

I preordered Mario Golf so i can play with friends but i'm not surprised at the score.

StormCell

Scores don't surprise me at all. I'm reminded of a lot of the N64's Mario spin-offs that frequently got 6's and 7's. At this point, they're just pumping out what they can even if it's rushed because the Switch's market is hot and hungry.

PS. I knew this one was a solid NOPE from the moment it was announced.

PS2. "Mario Golf Super Rushed" Amirit??

Last edited:

TheBomb

What do you expect? they don't expand their studios, they don't buy many studios and they are stuck in a constant rut with no resources despite making obscene profit on the switch.

I preordered Mario Golf so i can play with friends but i'm not surprised at the scoreyet, gamers keep buying their games.

I preordered Mario Golf so i can play with friends but i'm not surprised at the score.
People keep buying those games.

Bragr

Banned
Another Mario Tennis Aces then, well, that's not too bad. It's not the end of the fucking world like you guys pretend at the very least, just disappointing.

Nozz-A-La

I had preordered Tennis Aces and was so disappointed by it that I held off on preordering this one. It’s a real shame as I had still (cautiously) been excited for it.

Termite

Yeah, once I saw some of that leaked footage I noped out.

No three click gameplay, so RNG determines where your ball will go at higher distances. Uninspired-looking course designs that aren't challenging enough to be realistic, but don't make enough use of wacky Mario elements either. No online tournaments. Bare-bones single-player.

At this stage expecting Nintendo to put any effort into their sports games is a fools errand. It's been this way for a decade.

Just play Everybody's Golf. It's the same gameplay, but incredible instead of mediocre.

Velcro Fly

Amazing that they seem to have taken a giant step backwards from a 3DS game released 7 years ago. Still really excited to play the game since even a mediocre Mario Golf game is going to be fun for a while.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I just read the Eurogamer review (their "score" was Recommended) and the game sounds great. It has 16 characters, 6 courses and a brand new game mode that is fundamentally a game unto itself (Speed Golf). At it's core, it's a Camelot golf game, which means it'll be an amazing straight up golf game.

Not sure what everyone was smoking or expecting, but I'm definitely picking this one up.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
The fact i saw zero fantastical courses totally put me off it all looks set in realworld courses. No mario hills, no pyramids, no course set on clouds just boring grass & normal looking trees.
Toadstool Tour is the pinnacle of Mario Golf games IMO.

It really can't be stressed enough how much fun that game is.

I mean ... I'm picking it up 🤷‍♂️.

Not sure why anyone would claim there's a lack of golf game modes when it's got golf, plus a brand new mode never in any golf game before, plus a story mode. What were they really expecting?

8/10 is pretty much exactly what I expected.

Another Mario Tennis Aces then, well, that's not too bad. It's not the end of the fucking world like you guys pretend at the very least, just disappointing.
I mean, I thought Tennis Aces was one of the best Tennis games I've ever played. Gyro aiming on the power slams, crazy super moves and dashing hits.

The netcode was really my only complaint, and that shouldn't be that much of a factor on a golf game.

blacktout

I wonder if Covid hit Nintendo harder than its peers.

COVID definitely screwed up Nintendo's development process, but I don't think it's to blame here. Pretty much all of the complaints being leveled against this game—shallow singleplayer campaign, light on content at launch—were true of Mario Tennis Aces as well. Seems like Nintendo and Camelot have decided to go the "finish it with free updates" route with their Mario Sports titles.

The fact i saw zero fantastical courses totally put me off it all looks set in realworld courses. No mario hills, no pyramids, no course set on clouds just boring grass & normal looking trees.

This is my biggest issue with the game as well. The core gameplay and modes look fun, but I wish the courses were more silly and inventive. A real waste of the Mario universe.

That said, the New Donk City course they showed at E3 looked awesome, so maybe I'll wait a few months and see if I can grab it on sale after some of the free DLC has come out. (This is what I should have done with Mario Tennis Aces instead of preordering it.)

Last edited:

Corgi1985

Banned
Amazing that they seem to have taken a giant step backwards from a 3DS game released 7 years ago. Still really excited to play the game since even a mediocre Mario Golf game is going to be fun for a while.
This is modern nintendo for everything including system level features

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Just play Everybody's Golf. It's the same gameplay, but incredible instead of mediocre.

I have a bad feeling that Everybody's Golf was the last entry in the franchise. While really good, it was one of the weaker entries in the series and continued the stupid trend of pay-to-win clubs that World Invitational brought to the table. It seems like we are in the worst timeline for 3-click Golf.

I'm still getting Mario Golf but I wasn't expecting it to be much better than Tennis Aces.

Last edited:
Top Bottom