• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Mario Golf: World Tour] GAF Tour

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
GAF Username: XiaNaphryz
Ingame Name: XiaNaphryz
Timezone: Pacific
DLC Status (Own/Don't own/Soon): Own

linkraceist

Neo Member
GAF Username: linkraceist
Ingame Name: Link
Timezone: Pacific Daylight (California)
DLC Status (Own/Don't own/Soon): Own Season Pass

Salsa

GAF Username: SalsaShark
Ingame Name: Salsa
Timezone: UTC-03:00
DLC Status (Own/Don't own/Soon): Don't Own. Might soon..

505zoom

GAF Username: 505zoom
Ingame Name: Rich
Timezone: Mountain
DLC Status (Own/Don't own/Soon): Soon (purchased, keep getting download error)

If I forget to catch up before I go to sleep I'll do it the moment I wake up. Keeping this tab open until I get this taken care of.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got a -13 on Peach and something on DK, forget what exactly. But I'm done with em, happy with my placements!

For a -11 on peach. I can feel another couple of shots in there somewhere, but star Daisy's curve can be annoying and her control isn't quite wide enough. So that'll do for now. Will try the jungle one tomorrow

Anustart

For a -11 on peach. I can feel another couple of shots in there somewhere, but star Daisy's curve can be annoying and her control isn't quite wide enough. So that'll do for now. Will try the jungle one tomorrow

I would have had a -12, but I got a long ass albatross on hole 2 or 3 I think. Then I think I par'd one hole anyway :/

(100/AP^2)(Score^2) = point formula I settled on for scores of -1 to AP. Bonus point formula is still being decided but it should be pretty simple.

Red in the course-specific spreadsheets is how many points an all-birdie run is worth, since that's the guaranteed cut. Teal is the AP. Please note that the other 9-holers will probably have an AP of -11. I will likely use Red in the ranking tab to indicate the all-birdie cut-off, since going higher than that is primarily to get a good seed (and to allow yourself some room to fuck up I suppose).

This formula's very simple but it does the type of scaling I want much better than a couple complex things I tried before this.

EDIT: Course-specific spreadsheets are tabs found at the bottom of the spreadsheet linked in the OP.

schlew

This is a great idea, thanks for taking the steps to do this!

GAF Username: schlew
Ingame Name: Tyler
Timezone: EST
DLC Status (Own/Don't own/Soon): Own.

I'll be sure to enter ASAP.

mrboo001

Banned
I'm in love with this game, sign me up!

GAF Username: mrboo001
Ingame Name: John
Timezone: CST
DLC Status (Own/Don't own/Soon): Season Pass

XiaNaphryz

Damn, had a chance at a -13 on DK Jungle but ended up with a par on one hole and a birdie on a par 5 so I just had -11. Had a chip-in eagle on the first and an albatross on the second.

emgeejay

Shoot, I didn't realize this had started. Can I request a change to my info on the spreadsheet? My IGN is now EmGeeJay, and I bought the Season Pass.

Yeah, I'll update you and add the last few people soon.

Just a reminder: 4 hours to submit your scores for the first tourney. Though with the score curve I'm using it'll definitely be possible to make up for missing the first couple by making some strong rounds in the future.

XiaNaphryz

So how are the live games going to work? Take turns in the GAF lobby? Make a couple league lobbies?

daydream

Banned
So much choking going on right now. Goddamn it.

Almost forgot there was a reason I gave all the previous GAF tourneys not more than one or two tries.

I'll try to be more clear with the end date for the next round. >_>

Won't be right away since I need to type up the final scores first, but it should be soon.

multivac

Got them both in just in time! Never actually played DK Jungle and missed a couple of putts by under a foot :( Have to pay more attention this week!

Next round will be up tomorrow.

I settled on an AP of -12 for DK Jungle instead of the -13 I was considering because you all made me very sad. I want to get Sky Island out of the way, then, because by my guidelines the AP will be -18 and uh yeah very few people, if any, are actually going to meet that. <_< >_> For this course I'll change the "all-birdie mark" to be a score that gives around 60 points, though, to be in line with the other courses.

The other course this week will be Wiggler Park because my god after DK Jungle you guys need an easy, "feel good" course.

Though to recap the scoring system:

-AP, or "Adjusted Par", gives 100 points. This is the teal score.
-The red is the "All-birdie" mark, and if you meet the point total of all the red scores then you're guaranteed to cut.
-Scores higher than -1 are worth nothing.
-Scoring above the AP gives bonus points that don't follow the curve.
-Submitting scores is highly recommended.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
-1 Adjusted par? Or -1 Regular par... and by "higher" do you mean actually numerically higher or higher as in "better"?
Again "above" as in "better" or "above" as in "higher"?

Actually I suggest using just better than or worse than for everything involving golf.

-1 Adjusted par? Or -1 Regular par... and by "higher" do you mean actually numerically higher or higher as in "better"?

Again "above" as in "better" or "above" as in "higher"?

Actually I suggest using just better than or worse than for everything involving golf.
I have the points right there in the document:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak9HPe1aps6adEhndzV3YWFsVk1memlkWnBacHB1NWc#gid=1

All the AP means is "This is what is worth 100 points." Better than that is bonus points. Worse than -1 is worth nothing.

Anustart

Next round will be up tomorrow.

I settled on an AP of -12 for DK Jungle instead of the -13 I was considering because you all made me very sad. I want to get Sky Island out of the way, then, because by my guidelines the AP will be -18 and uh yeah very few people, if any, are actually going to meet that. <_< >_> For this course I'll change the "all-birdie mark" to be a score that gives around 60 points, though, to be in line with the other courses.

The other course this week will be Wiggler Park because my god after DK Jungle you guys need an easy, "feel good" course.

Though to recap the scoring system:

-AP, or "Adjusted Par", gives 100 points. This is the teal score.
-The red is the "All-birdie" mark, and if you meet the point total of all the red scores then you're guaranteed to cut.
-Submitting scores is highly recommended.

In my time zone you posted that at 2 am. Tomorrow as in today or tomorrow!!??

lt519

Nice! Scored well in the GAF tournament. Won't be back from vacation until Thursday so I'll only have one or two shots at the new tournaments, same as the last. Caught me at a bad time, haven't been able to practice any.

Pumped to try the new DLC when I get back too, been workin on moon coins on the planes.

Edit: wait are all the scores posted? I thought i did worse in the peach gardens tourney, can't be right.

Not quite done with assigning the points to their respective players yet, but yeah, what I currently have should be right, along with the scores I have in the respective tabs.

The next round of tournaments will be notably longer than 1 week because MK8 comes out next Friday so there's a good chance I won't be sober home much.

Top Bottom