• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Mario Golf: World Tour] GAF Tour

Introducing the GAF Tour!
In the Mario Golf: World Tour GAF Tour, participants will participate in a tournament on each of the courses to earn points to determine a community match-based Top Cut. The point system works this way:

-Each course will have an "Adjusted Par". This score will be worth 100 points and is based off of how many strokes it takes the player to reach the green and then one-putt. Scores of E or worse are worth 0 points.

-Scores between those have their point total determined by a curve. The Adjusted Par represents 0 mistakes. So one more stroke would be 1 mistake, two more strokes is 2 mistakes, three more strokes is 3 mistakes, and so on. So the better the score the more points a single stroke of improvement is worth and the points are curved to reflect that. Also, scores better than the Adjusted Par will get a small amount of bonus points, but these scores should be pretty rare since Tournament Tees will be used to make it hard to drive the green.

-The points a player earns on each course will be totaled up. Missing scores will be counted as 0 points. The Top Cut will be determined either by the top 25% to 33% (a multiple of 4 is desired) or by the point total that represents straight birdies, whichever results in a bigger cut. This Top Cut will do community matches from there to eventually determine the winner.

The reason for this system is because I don't want people to have to grind the tourneys to be competitive. So, if you average out to straight birdies then you are guaranteed the cut and scores that require long chip-ins have a minimized reward instead of the big one that would result from a place-based system. And then we take a Top Cut because somebody who grinds could still get 1st if we didn't do that, and you can't grind community matches so I feel it's a good way to determine if somebody's a fraud or not.

Prizes TBD

Rules
-Mario will be banned in every tourney because his star version is pretty OP. He's really strong and his shot trajectory is high and straight, both of which are ideal if you are good at reading wind. A high trajectory means obstacles tend to be less of an issue and there's less roll when landing on the green. A straight trajectory means that mishits are easier to compensate for and not as punishing as it is with the other power characters.
-Gold Mario is different from the other characters, and since certain threads recently have shown that diversity is a horrible thing he will also be banned. Actually, there's some serious shenanigans that he can do when mastered. Note that character bans will be enforced in-game.
-Lurkers waiting for account approval are allowed to play. However, their points won't be determined until their account is approved and they post to confirm who they are. Once that is done, the scores in their past tourneys will be confirmed and counted and their point total determined. Once the Top Cut begins it will be too late for this, though.
-A ban from GAF will result in a DQ. So don't be a dick.

Course Schedule
Two courses will be done a week. 4 weeks will have a total of 27 holes, while the first week will be only 18 holes.
Week 1 will feature Peach Gardens and DK Jungle since they have the dumbest SCs and we might as well get them over with. The tournament codes will be posted shortly.

Registration
I will need the following info. There is no deadline, but you will not be able to make up any tournaments you miss. I will be adding people to a Read-Only spreadsheet. If you don't follow the format then I won't bother adding you. The DLC portion is very important. It will determine if DLC courses are included in the tour.

GAF Username:
Ingame Name:
Timezone:
DLC Status (Own/Don't own/Soon):

List of registered users

Tournament Codes
Yoshi Lake (AP: -11): 33-1485-5789-3567
Mountain Course(AP: -22): 31 - 9588 - 5195 - 2587

Why this thread is ugly
Getting this started is more important than making it purdy. That will come soon, though anybody who can make banners that aren't MS Paint ones like the OT's would be appreciated.

Owensboro

I'm in! I look forward to forgetting to play a week and being DQed!

GAF Username: Owensboro
Ingame Name: Matt O'B
Timezone: Eastern
DLC Status (Own/Don't own/Soon): Don't Own

Lexxon

GAF Username: Lexxon
Ingame Name: Pat
Timezone: EST
DLC Status (Own/Don't own/Soon): Don't Own (considering)

I'm not exactly...good....but really interested to try out some tourneys!

lt519

GAF: lt519
Game: Rarbusto
TZ: est
Dlc: yes

I'm on vaca from the 21st to the 28th without a game system within miles, so hopefully we can stick to the Friday to Friday schedule and I'd be good.

r3n4ud

Awesome idea! Thanks for doing this.

GAF Username: r3n4ud
Ingame Name: r3n4ud
Timezone: Est
DLC Status (Own/Don't own/Soon): Own

emgeejay

GAF Username: emgeejay
Ingame Name: Max
Timezone: PST
DLC Status (Own/Don't own/Soon): Soon (dammit, I know I'm going to break down eventually...)

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
GAF Username: Galactic Fork
Ingame Name: GalaxyFork

Peach Gardens: 24 - 9451 - 7018 - 8467
DK Jungle: 06 - 4896 - 9571 - 7575

Adjust Par for both is -12; the -Eleven I put in the Jungle comments is an error and I apologize for it. Hole 7 on DK Jungle is the culprit on that course and it's having 3 pipe shenanigans that is the culprit for Peach Gardens. I went strong winds for both to make the shortcuts harder. Similarly, the first holes on both have said shortcuts so I enabled Shuffle in hopes that they'll be put later on in the tourney.

Tournament tees were already explained earlier, no club slots or coins, simulation lines are on.

Anustart

GAF User Name: anustart
Ingame name: Boxy Brown
Time zone: CST
Dlc status: Dont own

I'm down for this!

Got a -11 on peach gardens first attempt. Some nasty greens in there.

daydream

Banned
Thanks for organising this, Shark! I understood *some* of those Adjusted Par rules. :D

No, but seriously, I'm not the most ambitious tourney participant (I usually gave Robin's tournaments one or two attempts tops), but I obviously can't sit out on this!

GAF username: daydreaming
Ingame Name: daydream
Timezone: GMT +2

Thanks for organising this, Shark! I understood *some* of those Adjusted Par rules. :D
It's like this:
8PuoZ.png

Though that curve isn't quite the shape of what the actual curve will be I think. It should also be right-to-left because that's how golf works. It should still get the point across.

Alternatively, get -9 on all the Par 9's and -18 on all the Par 18's and you'll cut. Maybe not with a great seed, but you'll cut.

EDIT: Oh right, I'll be playing too. Better add myself. I mean, I can't get the scores without playing so I might as well. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GAF Username: mrklaw
Ingame Name: Mr Klaw
Timezone:BST (UTC+1 I think)
DLC Status (Own/Don't own/Soon): don't own

Can you put a date/time when the tournaments expire in the thread so we have a way to check without being on the 3DS?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Btw,probably dumb question, but the 'random 9 holes' is selected once for the tournament and everyone plays the same 9, right?

Finished the two current tournaments.

-14 on Peach Gardens. Pretty much a perfect run with Star Bowser (and in only 2 tries!).

-12 on DK Jungle. Missed an eagle by .37 feet, couldn't be bothered to improve it after doing it dozens of times. -14 is definitely possible because it's relatively easy to score a chip-in eagle in hole 2 as Star Bowser, but I probably won't touch this again.

Sort of confused on how the scoring works but I'll play.

GAF Username: wildthing2022000
Ingame Name: wildthing2

multivac

GAF Username: multivac
Ingame Name: Multivac
Timezone: CST

Edit: How long are these first course tournaments going to be open for before the second set go up?

multivac

I can't believe I *just* realize that I accidentally deleted that when I put up the tourney codes.

Tournaments end and start at 12 AM EDT on Saturdays.

Haha, I kept reading the part about how you said end dates don't matter since you are allowed to miss tournaments, but thinking "they matter to me!" :)

Top Bottom